Any analog synth users here? post your analog shit

any analog synth users here? post your analog shit

pic related, my eurorack modular which I love more than I love my own silver-haired mother

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=gJkxGvhOS-M
youtube.com/watch?v=KCaLG6Whnls
youtube.com/watch?v=E2bS7Tw-l5Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>dat intellijel

Jeez, how much did you spend on this?

i have an op-1 and a microkorg

the Atlantis is pretty cool but it doesn't do throbbing bass like the Frequency Central System X stuff on the top row

a lot

and then a lot more

modular synths are a big black hole to throw money into

i've never used any system x stuff. ill have to check them out

I just finished building them last week, two System X VCOs and two VCFs, they are the best sounding modules in there

the akai rhythm wolf i have has an analog bass synthesizer. Not the best but it has me intrigued. I have been experimenting with hooking the rhythm wolf up to effects pedals and I've been enjoying myself. I'm looking into getting a minibrute or microbrute. Which is better?

Autism: the instrument

How do you even play that, you fucking nerd?

>tfw want one but don't want to spend however much ungodly amounts of money just for something to screw around with since I don't really make any music

MakeNoise DPO high five

I really need to put my shit in a better case

Generally with a keyboard. Do you even know what a synth is?

hows that clouds treating you?

Arturia Beatstep Pro sequencer

and it's got seven channels of MIDI to CV so it can be triggered from my DAW

>Generally with a keyboard
Do you even know what a modular synth is?

No. I can't play a single instrument or read music.

oh wait, it's not a DPO

as you were

those black units with the gold zig zags

I like the sound of the Korg but the CV is Hz/Volt so I hear it's a pain to get them to work with modular stuff

what he said, the MakeNoise Pressure Points. Plug those through a voltage quantizer, spin the knobs, listen to the weird noises.

I don't hate it but it's my least favorite module I own. If I planed to do all of my composition in the modular it would be indispensable, but I don't. I'm not a fan of intelijel typically but I think I'm gonna replace it with a rainmaker.

I forgot, there's this too

I've got a module for correct conversion but I've found I prefer the non-traditional digital VCOs that have come out over the past few years.

>2016
>needing a spaceship to make a sin wave

hmm

nice deodorant can, good to see musicians who give priority to personal hygiene

>not wanting a spaceship to make a sine wave

I want one but there's so much shit and I've already got 3 analog voices

I've got one digital oscillator, the Pittsburgh DNA Symbiotic, barely use it. It just can't compete with the System X and Pittsburgh stuff. If there's one module I could happily live without then it's that one

The DPO sounds fantastic but it's a bit confusing to use. So many options for cross modulation it just gets chaotic in no time at all. Damn thing never makes the same noise twice.

Tell a lie, I've got the Telharmonic too. Another module I barely use.

warmth doesn't real

tru but the digital sheen do

muh high frequency aliasing
muh quantization noise
muh digital to analog converter resolution

>microkorg
>A true synthesizer with an analog modeling tone generator

get out

midi fag here, ive been using ableton for almost 2 years and just mainly make stuff with samples and field recordings.
Always been interested in analog, how does one get into analog. im also in college so money is a concern.

muh can't into C++
muh can't into DSP papers

muh inferior myopic process

prophet 5 and jx 3p here. love the prophet 5, jx 3p is great for live gigs. record with both but mostly just use the prophet 5.

First off, find out what the different parts of a synth do. VCO, VCF, VCA, ADSR, LFO, get your hea round the basic building blocks of synthesis. Watch some yootoob demos of how to get a sound out of a modular, the same process applies to all in one synths like the Minibrute but it's easier to see how it all goes together on a big modular.

Then look at individual synths or modules if you want to go modular. Muff Wiggler is the place to lurk for all info on analog gear. If money's an issue then modular isn't recommended, look at a Microbrute or Minibrute. If you think you might get into modular later then there's stuff like the Moog Mother, Dreadbox Erebus and Doepfer Dark Energy that have V/Octave patch points to connect to modular gear. Even a Roland JD-Xi has an analog engine mixed in with the digital stuff. No patch points on it though, very much a standalone monosynth from an anlog viewpoint.

The prices on analog monosynths are dropping all the time. Decide what you like then scour ebay and ask on Muff Wiggler.

pics or you have a Novation Xio and a cracked copy of Fruity Loops

screw you buster, I can Arduino with the best of them

muh MCP4922 12-bit DAC on the SPI bus

This is my only analog stuff.

Maybe in the future I'll get a VC10 and an Odyssey or something similar.

>Odyssey

I did a little sex wee when I heard Korg were doing the reissue

>$10,000 monosynth

where do I not sign up for this

>can't save any patches

Kek. No shit

lolwut there are a million analog synths with patch memory

Sorry, should've specified. I meant modular synths can't save patches.

to be fair the only point of a modular synth is to patch it
its like the audio equivalent of jerking off

Yeah but I don't need to put a patch cable in my ass to jerk off.

Take a photo

Yeah, OK. I'll just look through a fucking photo album whenever I want to recall a sound.

Embrace momentary living.

how do you make notes with these things? I see them a lot but I don't get it. Is there a keyboard or something? Can you play music on it or just get sounds?

sequencers. you can hook keyboards up but that kinda defeats the purpose.

>op-1
uuugh i want one so bad.

how do you like it? does it have a lot of storage for saving songs? is it easy to put them on your computer, if so, what format is it?
is the mic any good? post some stuff

i have a microbrute, love it really, though i dont know much of the minibrute so i can't tell you honestly which one's better. but i say go for the minibrute, just for the sequencer alone

Anyone have the Akai MPX-8? It looks cool for triggering samples and such but im not sure if its worth to buy it

can someone ELI5 me what the wires are connected to and why they need to be connected like that?

this thing is one fun motherfucker

just the arp editing+trigger+infinite lenght....I spent hours just fucking around with one track

>thousands into a mono synth
>a fucking quadraverb

The wires carry sounds/signals to different parts all of which affect the end sound in different ways. The cables are physically connecting different functions because there is no internal wiring. This gives the greatest flexibility in how it is used, as opposed to having the signal path pre-configured.

you won't really get it unless you watch these

youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=gJkxGvhOS-M

at least watch the first part

modulars would seem a lot cooler to me if they could play chords. every time I see a video of one on youtube it's just these random beeping noises with a randomly modulating filter on them.

the mother 32 sounds so damn juicy

youtube.com/watch?v=KCaLG6Whnls

got a Poly-800 here, love it lots

That costs tens of thousands of US dollars. I honestly don't believe you own this unless you sought out this board to make adolescents jelly, pervert.

no he just plugs it in straight to his buttonhole and farts out sexy synth farts

Not him, but Sup Forums isn't just made of people doing noise or rap beats. Met a few professional music composers here. Your projection just hurts you.

a pro wouldn't spend that much on a monophonic toy meant for fiddling around/collecting modules

why aren't you on that 90s IDM steeze

youtube.com/watch?v=E2bS7Tw-l5Q

the Quadraverb's there for for storage until I give it to my brother, I use a Lexicon MX200 SPDIFed into the Focusrite for everything.

how can you forget about a prophet what the fuckkk

Simple answer - it's not that great. Seriously. The filter has no balls and the sounds need to be drowned in effects to sound good.

>MX200

but that's even worse nigga

This guy is correct. One time I posted a Prophet 08/Microkorg comparison on here and everyone preferred the microkorg.

Nigga, do you even multifx? The QV is a 20 year old 16-bit piece of shit. Maximum delay time is fuck nothing, it doesn't sync to MIDI clock and the memory battery dies every 18 months. The Lexicon does MIDI clock and it's 24 bit and sounds ten times better than the QV.

Dave Smith went fucking insane with the oscillator detuning on every fucking preset in the Prophet 08, it just ends up sounding out of tune unless you fuck about editing four lots of detune and two lots of "oscillator slop", whatever that is.

the MX line is shit though, like, its just for cheap people who want some verb into their rawk bands. I would never put a fucking synth to it.

get a fucking mpx1, or if you are too poor, a mpx500

I'm not too bothered about the reverb, I never record it. It's there for when I'm noodling around and just want a plate or a tempo-sync delay in the speakers, I can add far better reverbs in the DAW when I need to.

I might make a proper DIY plate reverb out of stainless steel though, that would be a fun project.

I think some of the presets are actually out of tune because of all the modulation. Highway bass is the only good one imo, everything else is way to complex.

I'm maybe being too hard on it, it does good string and brassy sounds and the stacked AB sounds can be really good. It just doesn't get near the low down dirty filthy bass throb that the modular can do. And when you turn up the filter resonance all the low end just disappears so it won't do any squelchy bass noises. For things like high arpeggios and pads it's really excellent, just more of a piano player's synth than a driving, angry synth for noisy fuckheads.

Moog mg1 falls out of tune occasionally but pretty standard intro synth. Fat bass, and all sorts of sounds to field capture, sample, loop etc.

how can you afford it?

>implying that isn't his dad's gear

yeah i dont imagine someone under 30 could have that kind of disposable income unless daddy gives him money.

Where do you think the money from my dad's estate went?

a meme synth for farting sine waves and a cheapo fx box

>a pro wouldn't spend that much on a monophonic toy meant for fiddling around/collecting modules
The fact you think it's a toy just because it's mono proves you're just not in deep enough.

the mono is an afterthought. the fact still remains. most module synths are for hobbyists and math PhDs that don't even record anything, they just want to pretend they're in a spaceship making pew pew sounds. lol even OP just admitted he doesn't record anything

>2016
>unironically not living with your parents
what's it like being a rentcuck? slaving away hours a week so your landlord can make tons of cash ;^)

Where did I say that I didn't record anything?

>OP just admitted he doesn't record anything

you do know what an octopre is for don't you?

Here is my small system that I use for vanilla mono lines and fart sounds. Thinking about adding the wogglebug and pressure points next.

Couldn't find a good pic, enjoy the pic from my feature phone.

>dat Pittsburgh tho
I'm watching the demo video of the Maths now, that's a crazy fucked up module. Pressure Points is fun but it's much more fun if you have the Brains expander with it so it reads clock.

>tfw jumo 106 has been out for repairs for a month now
I thought I was gonna have it back by now.