Pinnacle of freetard research, almost 30 years on the market

>pinnacle of freetard research, almost 30 years on the market
>utterly destroyed by VS Code that Microsoft released for keks in less than 2 years
how come open source software is always trash when its not made by a big, money-making company?

Attached: file.png (1200x1202, 132K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Microsoft/vscode
insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>a lame editor with fancy color schemes and barely any users "utterly destroys" one of the two most used IDEs
Are you delusional, OP?

Because financial reward > good feefees reward

As a Vim and VS Code user, you're delusional if you think VS Code has "barely and users". It's got better support for modern development environments than VIM for sure.

VS Code is open source.
github.com/Microsoft/vscode

>As a Vim and VS Code user, you're delusional if you think VS Code has "barely and users"
Compared to vim, it doesn't. Too bad Microsoft doesn't provide any download numbers, would be interesting to support.

>It's got better support for modern development environments than VIM for sure.
You probably don't even know how to configure vim to get autocompletion to work, you pleb.

>>barely any users
maybe in your mom's basement. its literally THE most popular editor according to stack overflow 2018 survey

>shitty gui editor
Why should I care?

why does it matter if I can use an emulation of VIM on most all IDEs/editors?

>according to stack overflow 2018 survey

Attached: laugh-brit.gif (389x259, 992K)

Why would you use an emulation when you can literally just run a tmux session with vim always up and ssh in from wherever you want.

>provide source widely regarded as credible
>HAHA FAKE NEWS LEL
provide something better. download numbers are a shitty statistic since average freetard changes distro every 5 nanoseconds and redownloads all stuff.

>>provide source widely regarded as credible
I see no source, only a claim of a source.

Also
>stack overflow as source on what real developers use
Have you seen stackoverflow? It's a bunch of Pajeets asking people to help them with their homework.

VS Code + VIM emulator is the best of two worlds. My favorite method to develop by far.

Can't run in a screen = useless as an IDE

It's funny how VS Code works the worst on Windows. Tighter WSL integration should be their top priority.

Sent from my MacBook Pro

>VS Code vs vim
things built to have a small learning curve but little or no efficiency bonus with getting over that curve and learning will always be more popular than things with bigger learning curves but more efficiency bonus for learning. similar to vim vs emacs, but not as drastic.

insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/
here you go little babby, if name isnt enough for you.

>Have you seen stackoverflow? It's a bunch of Pajeets asking people to help them with their homework.
there are retards on every website, not only stack. you have tons of very smart people posting there too and if you deny it you are simply making up shit.

Attached: file.png (881x408, 29K)

Stack overflow is 95% pajeets earning $1 per hour, thrmeir choice of tools is irrelevant for the modern world.

Are you working on a remote box,
or are you going X-less?

You can mount remote paths with sshfs.
Or use rsync.

Sup Forums is 95% NEETs earning $0 per hour

>you have tons of very smart people posting there too
There are probably tons of very smart people posting on this board too, still makes it a shit board with little relevance to the real world.

Also take a look at pic. 20% of respondents are from the US and 14% from India. Third largest is Germany with 6.5%. Also, look at what kind of jobs they report to have. Mostly web devs and mobile app devs.

And a majority (>55%) reporting that they aren't professional devs.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-03-14_17-51-44.png (709x399, 90K)

>how come open source software is always trash
VSCode is Open Source and is based on Atom, which is also Open Source

>Are you working on a remote box,
If I work from home, yes.

>You can mount remote paths with sshfs.
I want to pick up where I left.

>Or use rsync.
I do this for compiling remote, but not for actual programming. I just want to pick up where I left when I get home from work.

stackoverflow is also founded by ex-msft employees and its pretty obvious that they have a bias towards that, seeing as how the most popular questions on there are always around the lines of "help this proprietary library i have to use at work is broken and i have no idea how to even start debugging it"

>pajeet overflow

Biased because of the high number of web dev monkeys replying.

Also, 70% of survey respondents report that they use JavaScript as their primary language.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-03-14_17-59-59.png (733x609, 37K)

>most are web devs and mobile devs
man, its almost like most programmers do web/mobile/multiplatform nowadays. thats really crazy, i wonder if these numbers are connected.

>sysautist
just as prestigious as webdev, litterally janitors for programmers

>HTML, CSS, SQL
>programming
Pick one.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-03-14_18-02-15.png (749x682, 34K)

The only good thing about VIM is the key bindings.

>conveniently skip information that its a technology chart, not programming languages chart
well meme'd

Attached: file.png (759x513, 32K)

>conveniently claim that it is a representative study when there are merely 65k people that actually bothered to answer it

Attached: Screenshot_2018-03-14_18-03-51.png (695x449, 53K)

Are you aware that you can do mostly web backend in something like C# and still experience frontend stuff therefore you check "yes" at the technology?

>VS Code is good for C#
Stop the press!!

Modern CSS is far more programmable than "old" css which i guess you're familiar with.

Disregarding css entirely, why the hell would you put SQL in the same basket? Doing SQL well is as hard/just as comp-sciency as graphics programming.

I'm sure doing proper HTML and CSS could be considered "hard" or "difficult" too, but it doesn't change the fact that SQL is not a programming language in itself, it's a query language. Sure, stuff like PL/SQL adds procedures and stuff, but pure SQL is just a query language.

>retrieving records from a table
>hard
The absolute state of Sup Forums

>its literally THE most popular editor according to stack overflow 2018 survey
10 / 10 guaranteed replies

vim greatest strength / weakness have always been the interface.
If we see it as an interface to ed, it is really good.
If you compare it to other editors (assuming they have the same features), the other editors are usually better as they tailor the interface to make the features as good as possible.
vim usually goes the other way where the feature is a plugin.
There are other open source editors which manage to make a decent alternative to vim, they are just not marketed as heavily.
I use kate for the majority of my work and it is better than vim in 99% of the time.
While I have written several functions for kate, I have not used as much time configuring kate as I have configuring vim.

>notepad++ tied second
The absolute state of that survey

>I've never had to care about/pay for mainframe time

>configure vim for autocomplete
It's just C-x C-n. No configuration needed

I've been trying to get into vim for a couple weeks, but I just don't see how the jumping through words approach can be consistently faster than "arrowing" my way to the place I want to edit.

because you can both jump and arrow?