Is it too late to start learning an instrument at 20?

Is it too late to start learning an instrument at 20?

it's getting up there, but not too late
you have to put in the effort though, at any age

no.
i've found that you don't have to be very technically skillful to play pretty music. you don't have to know theory either. just trust your ear.

No. Learning an instrument is the best thing you can do with your time. Do it, and don't give up if things become harder

>It's getting up there

And what is the cutoff age for learning an instrument, toad?

Yes. 20 is that point in your life where it's too late to start anything and if you haven't got your life on track by this point you're better off killing yourself.

This.

no, but there are a lot of variables in how easy it'll be. what instrument do you want to learn? what level of skill do you hope to attain? what kind of music do you want to play? do you have any prior musical knowlege or playing experience? how much free practice time do you have in your life? all those kinds of things will go into how successfully you'll learn

Lol no. I wish I still thought 20 was old.

Yes Lain. If you haven't learned everything you'll ever need by ~12, you might as well just accept mediocrity and a slowly building awareness of your deep deficiency. This awareness is all that may build, the core will not meaningfully change.

Just kidding. Obviously you can learn. Stop bothering with ontological hangups, fears of failure, and predictive heuristics, and simply try by experiment. Only then will you truly understood. It is a truth that cannot be communicated, only realized.

Devote time with the proper mindset, and you'll learn.

um no?? good fucking luck with that kind of mindset

All of these people meming.

It's never really too late learning anything... well, okay if you are 70 and too physically weak to do anything then yeah.
That 10000 hours thing still apply even if you're 40 or 50. The only real reason people say that you NEED to start an early age is just because later on in life there is a lot of other shit, and you're way more busy then back then.

If you can just manage to pull yourself together and practice (even when you don't really want to), then you should end up being pretty good. Also, don't need 10000 hours to just be good or even great. 10000 hours are Mozart-tier standards. I believe 24 hours of practice or something like that should be a good amount to be good at it (more or less, depending on the instrument you choose). It's just a question about willpower and most people just get complacent in their 30's and afterwards.

yes. dont bother. youre already too old and washed up. might as well work at walmart for the rest of your life loser haha!

Hey! I'm 20 (to be 21) and I started the guitar literally two days ago. I'm not good with chords yet but I do some simplified versions of songs. Ode To Joy, Für Elise, The Godfather theme and so on.

I'm surprised by how not-that-bad it's been. Also I've got blisters so my advice would be don't play too much.

yes

Too late to be anything special, yes. If you weren't a musical prodigy by 12, you never stood a chance of being a renowned musician in today's climate anyway. With globalization and an increase in the accessibility of art has come an overabundance of artists in every spectrum - only the cream of the crop will ever make it in visual arts, writing, etc. So don't take it personally - you and millions of others are never going to be remembered by history.

But who cares about that? Have fun instead of freaking out about being the very best. Pick up whatever instrument you like and play with friends or by yourself. It's never too late to get into something for the sake of having fun. People caring so much about being judged as the best by academia is what took the real meaning out of art.

What are you using to learn? I'm following justinguitar's guide but I feel like I could use with some alternatives to go along with that.

I'm looking at justinguitar for tips and learning to change from chords and things like that, but mostly I just find tabs of melodies I know and like and hammer my head against it until I manage to do it.

You should google "guitarnick easy 100 songs for absolute beginners"
(guitarjustin, guitarnick. these guys are pretty inventive huh)

That was obvious sarcasm m8

Is it? Fuck you. That wasn't sarcasm, m8

Anyone got any tips on starting piano? I've been playing guitar for a fair few years but never bothered with reading music, and though that isn't my priority, I really want to learn to play classical piano well.

I personally had a lot of luck with a few beginner's guitar books. They basically went over everything before bar chords, including arpeggios and alternate picking styles.

Then from there it seems the best means is practicing more advanced chords, and more than anything progressing scales for the finger speed.

Are you sure?

user, what if he isn't sure?

It's only too late if you have lost your hands or your brain has stopped functioning in a near total way. There is probably a rig for no hands that could be dreamed up if it was needed.

The hard part about learning an instrument is the time and dedication you have to put in.

Do your scales and arpeggios until you are bored sick of them. Then do them until you start "going off script" as you play them.

I've been working on the E scale on electric guitar (acoustic too for practice sake; the electric is the one I intend to take out and perform with on a regular basis.)

E scale: Chromatic, Major and Minor are what I am learning right now. The idea is to use the whole neck of the instrument. Buy some technique/chord books for your instrument of choice and a music stand to set them on.

Take at least 30 minutes a day to practice. If you get a lot better and want to go pro, try doing 30 hrs per week (your endurance will be way up by the time you are even thinking about doing this much work,) if you can.