Did anyone use Linux in the 90s?

Did anyone use Linux in the 90s?

Attached: image09.png (645x481, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Realtime_kernel
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

earliest I tried it was in the early 2000s. Mandrake Linux, i burned it on to like 8 CDs... ran like shit, went right back to Windows 2000.

I used it for to run a server in the mid 90's.
But if you're asking if I got a GUI and used it like I would nowadays, no I did not.

Attached: 1518484772123.gif (540x540, 1.43M)

Yeah, but only a little bit.

Yes, but I used SunOS and OpenBSD more. Linux was not a very popular Unix back then, although it started to get more popular towards the end of the decade.

It was all about WindowMaker in those days. I should give it another shot and see how it feels by modern standards. My coworkers preferred CDE.

No the only thing I used in the 90s was this

Attached: 519C9AWF2SL.jpg (500x499, 52K)

>Did anyone use Linux in the 90s?
only as a home Internet router and firewall, back when actual router hardware was still expensive and not intended for lowly consumers.
Linux offered a cheap alternative

I used HP unix but I was like an 8 year old bab then so I had no idea what I was doing except for the painting program

My first lunyx was SUSE in 2k.
My experience was the opposite of , it was such a breath of fresh air that I never returned to Windows ME. Especially once I discovered WINE. I loved being able to play Quake 3 and Counter-Strike by simply downloading and launching each binary, respectively.

Attached: a1038.gif (118x118, 20K)

tried redhat linux 6.2 in '99
was a terrible experience because it didn't support any hardware I had. just graphics, but no video acceleration. modem unsupported. sound unsupported. it was useless without internet.

around 2003 they had redhat 8 and 9 and those finally had modem drivers, however it still didn't do the things I wanted to do on the web, nor did it play nice with ntfs, so I stopped using it.
the bluecurve theme was a stroke of genius and stopped the kde vs gnome debate for a bit.

Attached: rh3.png (1024x768, 192K)

red hat 6.0 around 1999.

the biotech lab i was working for used that on their computers and i grabbed a copy (3 CDs with full applications set)

pic related, shit was lit compared to win98

Attached: 3590f1.jpg (1024x768, 803K)

worked fluently on my IBM aptiva. compared to user just above my post.

I started using it in 1997 or 98
A magazine in Britain had a copy of redhat 6 or something like that on it, maybe redhat 5.x
and the headline was, could this one day replace windows

I tried mandrake a year or 2 after this. Similar experience. Just not great. Tried linux again in 2013/14 and havent looked back.

well I had a K6-2 with a VIA chipset and a winmodem, so that may have been part of the problem. I was surprised my sound blaster 16 ASP PCI wasn't supported though.
ATI LT rage pro worked, but no acceleration meant tuxracer was jerky and unplayable.

Yeah it really sucked before I could afford a Mac.

>8 cds
I wonder when booting from usb became a thing.

my SB16 worked, maybe yours wasn't a creative labs but a compatible one?

for the 3d acceleration i didn't have one anyway lol. i had a matrox millennium

First time I used linux was Knoppix in 2001. I quite liked it at the time.

Attached: KNOPPIX_booting.png (641x515, 23K)

Wow, so many anons lived in the 90's :^)

>Did anyone use Linux in the 90s?
Honestly I didn't even know what linux was until around the release of fedora 1 (2003). Around that time I was distro hoping until windows 7 then mained windows 7 (dual booted a debian distro) until windows 10 came then went back to maining linux (I still have windows 10 on a desktop though just in case I get back into gaming).

I thought this was the coolest thing ever. Fucking live boot cd. Living in the future.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1507608159424.jpg (400x326, 35K)

Attached: VirtualBox_SuSE 7.2_22_02_2018_19_36_38.png (1024x768, 69K)

I tried Redhat in like 1999. Wasted 3 CDs to burn it. Installed it in some PIII machine with 128mb of ram. Found no purpose to it, everything took longer to work right. Gave up on Linux till like 2006 when I gave Ubuntu a try, used it for about 8 months before I gave up. it did nothing better, or different

kek 20 years later we ask the same question. the state of loonix

>netscape
>konqueror
>staroffice
haven't seen those in years. reminds me of when i was a kid and my parents had "juno" installed for email.

I don't know, I remember when a 128 MB flash drive was considered huge.

is this gnome?
why does it look so much like earlier KDE?

My mum works at an old people's home and I came in one day and they had shelves full of RedHat manuals and installation disks. Needless to say, I now know that Bash hasn't changed since 2000

My first GNU/Linux was Mint 16 a couple of years ago. I am newfag

bash hasn't changed since 1989

Late 90s. Never had a problem getting X working. Sound was my major issue.

KDE 2 was the shit.

Because it started as a KDE1 clone

Attached: VirtualBox_SuSE 7.2_22_02_2018_19_32_48.png (1024x768, 130K)

Anyone used this?

Attached: Lgx_yggdrasil_fall_1993.jpg (1407x1441, 489K)

My first Linux experience was in 2000 when slackware 7 came out. Install CD was included in Linux magazine with kde I'm not even sure which version. Fuck summer was boring that year and I had great time learning new os. Nostalgia...

I did. I remember mulinux, and what it did with just a couple floppies.

My friend had redhat installed in like 1997 because he just had seen hacker and wanted to be cool. the he realized that he couldnt play heroes of might and magic 2 anymore so he got back to windows

Ive been using linux since 1996

no, i was like 10. i did start using it around age 12. the first distro i used was lindows because my dad thought it might be more usable than redhat 5. trying to use that pile of crap made me find decent distros of the time like debian and mandrake. hardware support was still shit in the early 2000s but i was lucky enough to have the right stuff so it was my main os from there.

Attached: 17522767_658677960991347_2614456065263251_n.jpg (725x725, 38K)

Yes. Debian 1.3 on 386 20mhz with 10MB RAM 120HDD.

Linux was VERY popular in the 90s. In fact you could buy a boxed copy from officemax.

Yeah, but someone else bought it before I could.

If you were alive in the 90s and you're still on Sup Forums, consider suicide.

You're like 12... Stop anime posting fag. >Sup Forums

suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem

>ran like shit, went right back to Windows
nothing really change uh...

>mfw this newfag doesn't realize it's impossible to leave
still a newfag, been here since 2008. no other forum like this...at least before all the shilling and generals.

Sup Forums was new as I was finishing high school.
I'm from 1984.
What do you suggest, that I leave IRC and Sup Forums and move to facebook im and reddit?
Fuck yourself. Gently. With a cactus.

Yeah used µLinux on an old HP Vectra. Granted I was a young lad and had no idea wtf I was doing yet I somehow managed to bungle it onto that old computer via a pile of floppies. That particular machine wasn't connected to the internet either since this was back in the days of dial up and the vector being an old office pc didn't have a modem just ethernet but obviously as a kid I didn't have a router or any shit setup.

Dicked around with some programming and whatnot mostly, and wrote edgy textiles for my own purposes, trying already to satisfy an imagined nostalgia for older halcyon days of BBSes and shit I was too young to actually have participated in aside from when my dad tried to show me shit he was doing.

>tfw born in the 80s.

Future is so fucking bright man but I forgot my shades and now everything is shit.

Oh shit mah 84 nigga.

How weird to be born in 1984 and live to see 1984 becoming a reality.

Yeah... I was thinking that as I posted. Very depressing.
First used Linux in 1996, moved to Linux entirely on 2000.
These days, I favor Dragonfly BSD.
Else, I use linux-rt, because latency peaks in mainline linux are unacceptable.
Also, I love HD600. And umi. And I use soy sauce, sometimes.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Realtime_kernel

Attached: 1497856546992.png (1870x1049, 2.52M)

Redhat 5 or 6. With pppoe drivers hand configured for teh dialup...

>being this new and telling others they should their own quietus make..

Attached: a1e.png (600x439, 258K)

Ah man I don't miss that old school Redhat RPM hell. Used Redhat from 5 to 9 or so. Also used Caldera OpenLinux which later became SCO with their long drawn out Microsoft funded lawsault on Linux. I remember, for some reason, I had a naked chick as my background in Caldera lol. Good times.

Also, related to the ppoe shit I remember my retarded fucking ISP would not let you connect with linux, you had to be using windows, at least initially, due to their faggoty setup bullshit. Of course it was a completely artificial problem. Had to call them up and go through a hassle to get them to fix it, then they were all like blah blah blah no servers hurr durr or whatever. Had similar issues later on with DSL after BellSouth became ATT (again), everything had been working just fucking fine until ATT had to cause stupid pointless problems for no fucking reason.

Get lost kid.

Played with it in 98 or so. Was pretty much a novelty at the time and took a lot of work. Eventually got bored with it and moved on. From time to time pick it up, run a few minor VMs at home with it. Pretty much the only one at work who knows how to do anything useful with it.

It was pretty much like using a outdated UNIX OS on unsupported hardware.

How the fuck should I use Linux in a time where I wasn't even born? Fucking faggot.

Memory serves me well - debian was even more of a cunt to do...

Attached: IMG-3384.jpg (1000x1079, 128K)

Yeah as much as RPM hell sucked, Redhat was pretty much the easiest entry, sort of like todays (or was it last decade's?) Ubuntu.

It was a cunt, but a manageable cunt.

I tried, but the utter lack of support for lucent winmodems kind of killed it for me. Linux wasn't usable for me until I had DSL and consequently a home LAN.

I had a work laptop which I could've tried it on, but HDD space was at such a premium that I couldn't reasonably dual boot, and slow optical drives and low RAM made live environments pretty shitty.

nothing quite like
>sudo nano /etc/wvdial.conf
Change fucken attribute
>ctrl-o, ctrl-x
Rinse, repeat until
>sudo wvdial
BLEEBLOOPFLIBABABABABABABABRRRRRRRRRDINODONGSKWEEEEEEEEEE......

Attached: brit+6.jpg (824x957, 169K)

>nano
>he doesn't know about pico

Attached: 936603-3359.jpg (820x547, 107K)

Nonfree

>he installs redundant software because someone somewhere once told him it was somehow "better"
>he's looking for an improvement to a quick and dirty terminal based text editor
>199something called and wants it's huge excess of software back.

Cheers.

Attached: mucci+1.jpg (1000x1163, 211K)

you're the reason we still use a DOS program for punching in orders

Can someone please tell me what benefits I would have using linux as a web developer instead of osx?

>he doesn't use edlin to transcribe into vax macro....

None really, unless you have some need for more powerful hardware.

OSX on laptop/desktop with linux running on the "big iron" is GOAT combo.

late 90s, early 2000. Installation was a pain in the ass due to hardware compatibility and even if you had supported hardware you could run up into problems from time to time that were annoying as hell.
Best thing to run at the time was Win2k, was really stable for the time and you could run any regular shit windows software and games with it.
Was running a dual Pentium III 1Ghz at the time, which didn't make things easier

I installed Mandriva on a Pentium 2 and that was the first time I used ganoo. But that was probably 2000 or 2001. So no.

>consider suicide
Every day, my dude. Don't worry, you will. too.

fucking nu born piece of shit, how little you understand

If it wasn't for kde/qt having licence problems, we wouldn't have the gnome disease ruining desktop linux today

>If it wasn't for kde/qt being retarded as they are and going nowhere we wouldn't have alternatives

>he lectures about this while roleplaying with a freetard clone of pico that didn't even exist in the '90s

Attached: ▄█▀ █▬█ █ █ █ █ █ █ ▀█▀.jpg (450x495, 38K)

>GNU nano was first created in 1999 with the name TIP (TIP Isn't Pico), by Chris Allegretta. His motivation was to create a free software replacement for Pico, which was not distributed under a free software license. The name was changed to nano on 10 January 2000 to avoid a naming conflict with the existing Unix utility tip.

I love watching you kids try to look kewl on the net while completely fucking failing at being able to gather, collate and utilise information let alone understand the notion of context.
Cool story tho bruv.

Attached: 11635825814_be8f918772_o.jpg (2229x1615, 988K)

Tried in 2006 (when I was 6 yo toddler), it didn't worked on my machine properly. Printer didn't work, ethernet didn't worked, USB ADSL modem didn't worked.
Maybe I was to stupid to set up all these, who knows.
It was some redhat by the way.

You said nano, not tip. You didn't even know it was called TIP until you wiki skimmed it, just like you didn't even know what the fuck pico was because you're underage.

I love it when reddit spacers try too hard.

By the way, nano is the only good thing from GNU. Other is just shit.

no i was too much of a gayman to consider using linux. got some free ubuntu cds in the mid 00s (ubuntu 5.10, i still have the cds somewhere) but haven't really tried it except for using the live cd for shits and giggles. started using linux mint last year because my win7 installation busted. i'm quite happy with it

Attached: breezy_cover.png (350x307, 169K)

>let alone understand the notion of context.
It's been fun talking to you kiddo.

I had "TurboLinux" which my parents bought in a box at a store.

Me too (just joined thread). Wouldn't do to not have a reminder.

gay cop-out

back around the year 2001 I started going to a linux user group in London UK. It was really excellent proper fucking hackers, they would get routers and start figuring the best way to hack the fucking thing until it did shit at the hardware level that it wasnt supposed to. They would show off some cool stuff on their computers and would bring guest speakers to deliver lectures on various things. The only problem was that quite a few of the people there were so fucking pretentious it shrivelled my cock up. In the finish I just used to troll them on their website LOL. It was the Greater London Linux User Group or GLLUG. The most pretentious arseholes I have ever met in all my years of learning Unix and Linux

I tried. It didn't take, and life got better from that day on. Also I'm here forever

Replying to

Howdy fellow LUG member (not going to name mine as it's small and will be easily identifiable).
Ours is a fairly based group (minimal pretension etc.). The only problem I have is that old cunts like myself tend to shit it up for the young fellas trying to get the girlies interdasted.
Also that the beer&pizza nights have given way to either not drinking (in mine and a few others case) or quaffing a playful red while nibbling on artisanal bread smothered in tapenade...

Attached: 4469405610_8ccdfdc56c_z.jpg (500x482, 210K)

This is an anime friendly website

Attached: IMG_20180309_165305_610.jpg (700x1274, 106K)

I was poor as shit and used openSuSE on a PII back in 2006 for a while.

yeah me, but it was shit and I stuck to plan 9 and later bsd
it still is shit btw

What's with the soy meme? It's not even particularly tasty.

There are other chans, you know.

That's just random.

Linux was the shit when you had extremely limited internet access. So you have your usual windows 98/ME/XP installation, what's next? You can't do anything on it besides drawing scribbles in paint or typing simple documents. For absolutely everything you needed to hunt down a shareware or freeware disk to be able to do absolutely anything.

Enter the linux distros. The humongous packs consisting of several CDs or DVD, packed to the brim with software for every single need. Need to watch a movie in a weird format? There's probably a package for that. Need to edit a photo? Gimp or Imagemagick is here to help you. A web browser that isn't filled to the brim with vulnerabilities was a default. You also had tons of various games and open source ports before you started to think how to get your windows games back or how to dualboot. With tons of trinkets and desktop environment customization your work on your autistic desktop style was never done.

Of course now that the internet access is widespread, the importance of having entire software library for your system on the disks greatly diminished. Still, in apocalyptic scenarios, it's good to keep a Debian disk collection somewhere.

Debian 3.1r1 was the first linux distro I got working properly, we were still on dial up, having those two DVDs was magic.

You are literally 14 years old.