If you ask me, the Linux desktop died with Unity

If you ask me, the Linux desktop died with Unity.

I know a lot of people had a strong distaste for it (and for Canonical in general), but in retrospect, it was probably the most polished, stable DE I've ever used. Effectively every other DE I've tried since has been a janky, inconsistent, buggy, half functioning piece of shit (and yes, I know Unity was like that for a while) that's felt like a few peoples' side project rather than a professional effort, including GNOME (which is uniquely shit in its own right). Furthermore, Unity stood out as something fairly unique among Linux DEs, rather than just being another Windows clone or a desktop environment pretending to be a mobile environment (hello again, GNOME).

Sure, it wasn't perfect--it wasn't particularly customizable, the "Dash" menu was a total clusterfuck, there was the whole Amazon integration debacle, and more, but I think its death is a real shame. And yes, I know it's being forked, but I can't imagine the future for Unity is really going to be anything like it was. It was the one DE that felt like home to me. Maybe one day the Unity-alike GNOME will be up to snuff (lol, fat fucking chance, especially with those faggot GNOME devs removing shit every fucking update)

Attached: Ubuntu_16.04_Desktop.png (1920x1080, 671K)

> not using a minimalist WM like i3 or dwm
You need to go back to M$

Just assemble your own with the WM of your choice.

>He uses a GUI.

Attached: thumb.png (800x450, 359K)

I'll have to agree with you.

>especially with those faggot GNOME devs removing shit every fucking update)

Gnome and Unity have feature parity, in fact Unity was just tweaked Gnome with better animations.

TLDR, freetards being retards

>Gnome and Unity have feature parity
Where's the LIM and HUD for Gnome?

Never got the hate with Unity, It did what it needed to do, kept itself out of the way and never really gave me any issue, I've used xfce and gnome but they never really felt right

I think the same way.

>thread about DE
>muh minimalism WMfags swarm to boast about their superiority

like clockwork

For some people, especially scrubs who are new to Linux, it's nice to have a working, polished graphical environment that works out of the box, especially one you don't have to spend hours fiddling around with .conf files or installing a bunch of shit to get it looking/functioning half decently.

Although, you're honestly not wrong. These days I do use a WM just because it's pretty much the only way to get a relatively pleasant Linux desktop experience nowadays. Every DE feels like hot garbage in its own way, although the more minimalist ones can be -okay- with a lot of tweaking. I mean, really, the reason why minimalist DEs/WMs are okay is because there's just less surface area to fuck up and over extend--spread your wings too wide, and you end up with an incoherent mess like KDE. Unity seemed to buck that trend, but, well, not anymore.

No, they don't (how the fuck can there be feature parity when the devs REMOVE shit every fucking update, like desktop icons or the global menu extension?), and in my experience, GNOME felt and functioned absolutely dreadfully, probably the worst out of every DE I've used. I don't understand how a DE with so much backing can feel and function like such a huge piece of shit.

The Linux desktop is growing more than ever.
Normies are getting aware of the massive dick microsoft is trying to shove up their asses and are experimenting with linux. As a linux autists I've had some of my normie friends ask me how to install it.
Unity being killed of isn't that big of a problem either, normies are moving to Mint and Manjaro.

It's not about superiority, but when you come to the conclusion that all DEs suck of course I'd suggest you to try and assemble your own as that's easily the best way to get close to a perfect DE for you.
A couple days of investmebt to never have to complain about shitty DEs seems well worth it to me.

If Ii really wanted to boast about my superiority I'd have told gou about my custom SumpWM setyp.

Yeah, and now normies also get to deal with an array of shitty, janky DEs, which will leave a bad taste in their mouth and send them right back to M$. For a while, I'd say Unity was probably the defacto DE for the average joe, just because Ubuntu was the defacto distro.

Although, Cinnamon is pretty decent, I just don't think it has the same quality that Unity had, and I think it would have been better for the Linux desktop ecosystem as a whole for the two to coexist (Mint+Cinnamon for those who just can't buck a windows-like DE, Ubuntu+Unity for everyone else).

>It's not about superiority, but when you come to the conclusion that all DEs suck of course I'd suggest you to try and assemble your own as that's easily the best way to get close to a perfect DE for you.

Yes, I mean, that is the conclusion I ultimately came to, and I do use a WM these days, but it's just not really possible to fully replicate Unity through means of setting up everything yourself. You can come close in much the same way that GNOME "comes close". As an out of the box experience, I don't think anything really comes close to Unity.

mate mutiny is everything unity ever was.
u8 is still a wip by ubuports
the future of unity is still bright

>He doesn't just use a CLI.

Have you considered returning to reddit?

>most stable DE I've ever used
Hello newfag. Guess you dont remember the days of when this shit came out of beta and broke more than KDE with boneitis. GNOME 2 was ubuntus best and now mate exists. There is also xfce, lxde and openbox for people who dont want something like I3. Now fuck off back to windows.

Hence why I said:
>Effectively every other DE I've tried since has been a janky, inconsistent, buggy, half functioning piece of shit ***(and yes, I know Unity was like that for a while)***

Plasma is getting closer too. 5.13’s global menu will support GTK applications.

I disagree. For me, the Linux desktop is all about your own personal preferences. If you go to any of the desktop/rice threads on Sup Forums or /w/ you will see all sorts of different things. Different things may look good or ugly to you, but what's most important is that they look good to the user. That kind of configuration and customization is what makes the Linux desktop, for me. I think it gives it soul.

the one feature i really miss is the alt key menu search.

Linux died because you can't adjust scroll speed in a simple menu in any DE.