Holy shit

holy shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CiVDzTT4CbE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Agree

Listened to it for the first time the other day and it was beautiful. I need to give it another go soon

Huge fan here. First song I ever heard by her was Cosmia, thought it was awful because I couldn't get past the vocals. Fortunately something clicked eventually and she's been my favourite artists for over five years now. How is it being exposed to her for the first time, if that's your case, OP?

I don't think I'll ever get into this album, but it is quite the achievement.

>Best
Cosmia
>Runner up
Sawdust & Diamonds
>Overrated
Only Skin
>Underrated
Monkey & Bear

Can you get into the rest of her music?

>Only Skin
>overrated

Nah man, nah. M&B is fucking underrated tho, dat ending.

How do you listen to this entire album at once? Doesn't her voice get grating?

No desu bcs people have different taste and believe it or not many enjoy her voice :)

Her voice sounds really good to me

Emily and Monkey & Bear are great, but I think the other tracks are much, much stronger.

I feel embarrassed to listen to her music out loud because of that ridiculous voice she puts on.

I could cry every single time I hear Emily

Right?

>Best
Emily
>Runner Up
Cosmia
>Overrated
Monkey & Bear
>Underrated
Cosmia

Sawdust & Diamonds is the only one that doesn't click with me like the rest does. But it's a 9.5 album to me.

Shit opinion tbqh

I wouldn't say its holy, but otherwise I agree

This.

"Joy,
landlocked in bodies that don’t keep —
dumbstruck with the sweetness of being,
till we don’t be.
Told: take this.
And eat this."

That song is powerful.

Listen to Have One on Me. Sometimes I feel like its her magnum opus, sometimes I feel like it's Ys. They're both ridiculously good and arguably far more ambitious than anything anybody else is doing in popular music at the moment.

The squeaky bullshit is so sad and pointless. Blame Bjork I guess?

You CAN have interesting timbres, intimate inflection, and fundamentally feminine singing without being all teehee-anime-fuck me daddy.

youtube.com/watch?v=CiVDzTT4CbE

Make women's singing great again?

Thanks for the amazing commentary user

>teehee-anime-fuck me daddy
Do you actually think that's what she sounds like?

Yes? (Sorry?)

I feel bad for you t.b.h.

>squeaky bullshit
but her voice works well for her music. if adele tried singing any of newsom's songs, they wouldn't sound anywhere as good.

>Can you get into the rest of her music?
Haven't listened to anything else of hers but Ys. I have more of her stuff on an external hard drive but am busy listening to other things. Might listen to The Milk-Eyed Mender later this year.

It's not her natural voice or accent (and doesn't even resemble a real voice or accent type) so why does she do it? What got her into that habit?

So sperglets like you can just totally sperg out about it on your spergsites.

>so why does she do it?
Because it sounds good.

"no"

ok

She doesn't put on a voice. I'm really being genuine. If you ever get the chance, go see her live. I am not the most emotional person but I seriously cried my eyes out half the time, she really does mean it. I get it that her voice isn't some people's thing but she really does mean it.

So she's deliberately trying to sound annoying? Interesting theory, user.

I'm always so happy when I see people's reaction to hearing this album for the first time. See her live if you can, it was one of the best experiences I've ever had.

Tbqh all the criticisms of "her voice" are kinda shallow considering how much it has changed from her early days to now. TMEM (and earlier releases) and YS being ~weird~ but post-HOOM it's mellowed out SO much. I dare you to find a "squeak" anywhere post HOOM. Her voice after her whole issue with her vocal nodules is remarkably different.

I saw her live and she was incredible. Shame she only comes to Ireland once every 5 years

Emily>Cosmia>Only Skin>M&B>S&D

How to listen to other artists after discovering Joanna? i feel like beefheart is the next logical step

What's wrong with S&D? I don't get why it doesn't click for a lot of fans.
Try HOoM or Divers if you can't into Ys rather than TMEM, I'd recommend.

Are you asking for recs or what? Listen to her influences. Roy Harper specially, the man's a folk legend and few people aknowledge it.

And the meteorite's just what causes the light

Holy fuck, just die.

I know man

They are all 10/10 for me.