What's the best text editor and why is it vscode?

What's the best text editor and why is it vscode?

Attached: opengraph-home.png (1223x630, 342K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@caspervonb/why-i-still-use-vim-67afd76b4db6
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what is this shitty meme and why is it still alive?

I fucking love VS Code but it's such a shame it had to be implemented with shitty Electron.

soyboy meme
Sublime is far better.

It's not bad, but I wouldn't really call it a text editor. More like an IDE. Sublime and Atom are still the best text editors.

>Opens 6meg XML

Attached: .jpg (800x494, 19K)

doom emacs

nice unlabeled axis faggot

It's Vim, shut up and go suck a dick.

>It's a Microsoft trying to redeem themselves in the open source community episode

it is in KiB. Source: medium.com/@caspervonb/why-i-still-use-vim-67afd76b4db6

I'd replace VS Code with Vim instantaneously if I didn't have to go through tons of plugins and configurations to get the same set of features. I'm lazy. Is there some kind of distribution of Vim that does this work for me?

I don't get this RAM usage obsession meme, what's wrong with software using more RAM to offer more features?

don't you understand how electron works? it lets you easily develop applications at the cost of running an entire web browser for each browser instance. Atom and VSCode run under electron, and come with entire Chrome-based bloat just so support infinitely smaller piece of code that is an actual editor

all these features would come at minimal RAM overhead if the devs knew other programming languases than JavaScript

Attached: 1521062005403.jpg (710x585, 105K)

I would call vscode an IDE at this point. M$ have to call it a text editor to differentiate it from Visual Studio. Riced Emacs is a better IDE though.
Vim is the best text editor.

Attached: distro_comparison.png (631x300, 139K)

the one thing i love vs code for is that language-server-protocol or whatever because the emacs-implementation is great

I really like VSCode, but shit dude, Vim is still the best text editor. Sublime's good too.

>ask for the best editor
>post a browser

well meme'd

>looks cool!
>I'll try it
>It's even in the AUR
>$ yaourt visual-studio-code
>$ installed size: 190 mb
>for a freaking text editor
kek

I understand but i have 16gigs of RAM and Iv'e never even went past 8gigs so I really don't care how much it takes unless every program I use started using that much then I guess there'd be a problem and then you'd be right. Still, I can't like vim unless I edit 50 keybinds and at that point why even bother just use what I know instead of wasting time learning other shit that's not really gonna help me you know what I'm saying?

Don't forget these:
sudo iptables -I OUTPUT 1 -4 -d 93.184.220.0/26 -j DROP
sudo iptables -I INPUT 1 -4 -s 93.184.220.0/26 -j DROP

cost of good (as in reliable and resource efficient) code outweighs hardware costs.
Who cares if it draws more RAM. If you have 16gb+ anyways

Also shit's free

What's this?

>extra functionality requires extra resources
shock horror user

It's probably the comfiest editor I've ever used.

It's actually possible to write Electron software that isn't a steaming pile of shit. The reason why you think Electron is shit is that it makes it easier for street shitters to write messy, error-prone garbage that takes 32GB of RAM to run.

I am using atom but it seems a bit slow. Should I switch to vscode? Is it lighter?

I noticed that there is an encrypted tcp connection to this IP range when i start the vs code, so disabled the traffic on the firewall. Also use mask 22 instead 26

>no color picker on linux
dropped.

id rather use an actual IDE for real software developers such as myself, like visual studio 2017

It's Microsoft spying

I hate you faggots so fucking much, we have the hardware so use it to better your workflow

I don't remember the exact ip address(es), but it was reported way before i checked.

I can spare 2% of my RAM.

Yes there is. I'm on Ubuntu.

Sam is the best text editor, acme is the best programming environment.

>t. rob

Attached: image.jpg (953x720, 196K)

Just google vim distro there are tons

So late.

Vscode is pretty good, and nice and speedy, but its vim emulator is shit. Vim-mode-plus in atom is incredible. Its equivalent, in one package, to a fully riced vim, and can even do some things I've yet to see in vim plugins.

>but just use vim
there are advantages you get by using a proper GUI, such as decent font hinting and not having to draw everything with box characters
>but atom is slow
so what, I'm paid either way. If my editor takes 1 second or 10 seconds to start doesn't make me earn more money.

too bad rob became a gofaggot (the first gofaggot)

nano

if you have less than 16gb ram in 2018 you're using a caveman tier computer. seriously, this isn't anything new or trendy. you could get by with 8gb ram or even less back in 2009 or something but it's been too long now to be acceptable.

edit.com