Python's where it's at. You can do almost anything with it!

>Python's where it's at. You can do almost anything with it!

Is he correct, Sup Forums?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-03-15 21-14-26.png (1920x1080, 1.21M)

Other urls found in this thread:

renpy.org/
notes-on-cython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/std_dev.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no because it's not turing complete

Man they really screwed the pooch on the design of that one, huh.

Python is literally holding programming back decades. Hell, it can't even do multithreading and requires the hack that is multiprocessing to emulate it.

>shared memory is "elegant"
>message passing without implicitly shared memory is "hack"
the absolute ST[etc etc]

Its not good for anything, but yeah it can DO everything.

a novice can pick it up and rapidly prototype a simple program to automate something and save hours.

JS is better. Change my mind.

It's incredible for people that just want to save time and get shit done.

Hi, I'm from Sup Forums

How long would it take me to learn enough python so I could code my own lewd schoolgirl train molestation visual novel? Or even just a website? I have four months to NEET it up and usually I just spend it on DOTA but this year I want to learn something

Attached: __tamura_yuri_watashi_ga_motenai_no_wa_dou_kangaetemo_omaera_ga_warui_drawn_by_asadafa__b0724ba0a614 (732x1227, 943K)

Kill yourself

also I've read that if I want to retain my knowledge I should study for 6-8 hours a day but am I risking burnout?

Its true if you want a quick and dirty language to do simple stuff fast, which is what most people want who are not programmers but need to use a programming language for something.

I think Ruby is a lot better designed language but I really dont like how blocks are used with methods compared to Python's universal for-in loop.

I think Julia is a lot better language but Julia missing OO which is a deal killer for a general purpose scripting language.

Javascript lacks standard libraries and so is not a general purpose scripting language (node does not count as a standard library)

That leaves the field open as to what the best general purpose language to replace Python. There really arent any. My personal vote is to turn Coffeescript from a js-transpiler language into its own standalone language as it combines all the best features of Python and Ruby.

Lua.

renpy.org/

give it up already on your Hue language, Javascript, Julia, Nim, Dart all shit on Lua, Lua is so out of date with tables-for-everything, explicit delcaring variables as local, its old shit

Python is a very simple language to learn and for visual novel you only need a tiny subset of the language. Just check Renpy and start from there, it's easy to follow the tutorials. If you get stuck, just google it or look at some repy forums (if there are any, I don't know). Good luck user.

It's infinitely better than javascript, nim, dart or python, and at least it can do classes unlike julia. Furthermore it has really good c/lua interrupt without GIL crap, and luajit is extremely fast (only v8 and julia compare).

>It's infinitely better than javascript, nim, dart or python
wow, you literally have nothing to say
Hue Hue Hue

Your butttears are delicious, pajeet.

standard libraries are almost non-existant, and it has a few questionable design/implementation decisions (1-indexed arrays, defaulting to nil on missing fields when using tables, integers that are actually floats, unordered tables).

it's really small and fast, sure, great for embedding, but nor really for general purpose scripts.

>and at least it can do classes unlike julia
faking OO with tables is not doing classes

You can say the same about all these languages. They all use hacked-up solutions instead of real classes.

>They all use hacked-up solutions instead of real classes.
you still have nothing to say, says a lot about you and your Hue language

>get BTFO
>n-no u
classic

You can do almost anything with any language given enough time. You could probably write an OS in Python, if you came up with a decent compiler for it.

Depends. I wouldn't write realtime, high-performance, or embedded applications in it, but I feel like it strikes a decent balance between the noob-friendliness of command-line scripting, the portability of Java, and the robustness of C etc. without the cumbersomeness of scripts, the resource thirst of Java, or the autism of C etc.

It's a reasonably good general purpose scripting language with strong libraries, and it's fairly easy to read and understand. I don't see it displacing C derivatives for big, institutional or enterprise development, but it's definitely been seeing more use versus JavaScript especially, and it's chipping at the low and middle ends of the Java market.

Frankly, though, this shouldn't matter too much for programmers, because (1) Python usually isn't used for the sorts of big, corporate projects most programming jobs are on, and (2) the whole point of Python is that it's easy to learn, so if you're already a programmer of almost anything else (besides JavaScript, which is perplexingly both more noobtastic and more complex), you'll have no issues switching gears if you ever find yourself needing to know Python for some job.

Nice meme

This brainlet refers to:
>Hurr durr, you can't run python2 on python3 interpreter
That doesn't mean that you can't write a python2 interpreter with python3.
tl;dr that user probably is a FizzBuzz freelancer :^)

Callback hell, promise hell, async is a thin bandaid over this abortion. Also Javascript is single process just like python. Oh, and Twisted gives you nonblocking io on python so Javascript isn’t even unique in that.

>Callback hell
There is nothing hellish about Javascript callbacks, Javascript set the standard for he poweful use of high order functions in scripting languges. Lambdas in Python or blocks in Ruy dont come anywhere near how powerful high order functions in Javascript are. This is typical of the brainlet level of Python programmers to criticize something in another scripting language that their language is incapable of doing, similar to the brainlets who criticize Lisp for 'parenthesis hell'.

(You)

Python is the most useful language out there.

Just like anuses are the most useful hole out there. vagOOO is obviously superior.

good taste, Yuri a best

Why not? Python can be high performance too.
notes-on-cython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/std_dev.html
It has a huge advantage in being easier to read and maintain. It's used at giant companies like Google too.
But you're right, usually companies won't use Python for a large scale app, one is better off learning Java or C# or whatever enterprise language is used now. Those have way more job openings.

Without vags there would be no anuses. Vag is the most useful hole.

Python is like a white man. He is not the fastest, but is superior in the majority of cases.

Wrong in all cases. Not really surprised though, pajeet was never known for high intellect.

You must be le 56% ameriburger faggot. No wonder you're jobless with that reasoning.

Somewhat this. Multithreading is g a r b a g e in Python, it's intended to only be single threaded by nature. However, its syntax is really nice and is great for anything that doesn't require any speed whatsoever.

>Forth's where its at. You ca do anything useful with it

Attached: top_hat_gentleman_with_a_mustache_by_arsene_lupin_london-d572hox.jpg (610x1308, 82K)

The whitespace trash fucks shit up something fierce when not working alone, not to mention the lack of static types (when some clown decides to refactor the entire codebase but nothing that depends on it, everything breaks because of this), and assignment being the same as declaration, are horrendous. Not to mention the complete and utter lack of early verification which means you get to run your process for 12 hours before it crashes and all work is lost simply because one path was not checked for typos.

Absolute normie trash.

Attached: 1499336849112.png (762x339, 83K)

What the fuck kind of retarded post is that, wew
By this logic C is not turing complete.

Im happy with c, will still be important in 40 years unlike your meme

What an idiot! You can write a python 2 interpreter in python 3.

Python 2 is better though. Don't use 3.

I deal with Linux servers and everything surrounding the automation of linux centric infrastructure. I prefer Ruby but Python is so ubiquitous and 2.7 is everywhere I need to be, so I use it for pretty much everything. Django sucks a dick though and I use rails anytime I need to create something beyond a simple flask app.

sure, but why?

javascript/nodejs is better in every single way possible.

>python programmer easily confuses concurrent with parallel

this. i've been playing around with nodejs and it's surprisingly decent. i wish the documentation was bit better though. ML and data meme libraries are coming to javascript too.

Nice for scripts/automation/data processing.
Shit:
>webdev
Django is horrible and you still have to know js, so node is better.
Absolute shit:
>games (pygame is a fucking not working joke)
>desktop programs and gui

No, but I like Python. It's good for simple programs and tasks.

Jeez, do I have to start adding '/s' to gee posts now? Fucking newfags...
I'm well aware of Shaw's fuckup and the very deserved mocking he got. Can't expect anything else when you're playing the asshole character.

>Javascript set the standard for he poweful use of high order functions in scripting languges. Lambdas in Python or blocks in Ruy dont come anywhere near how powerful high order functions in Javascript are
I'm mediumly on the JS hate bandwagon, but I've gotta admit Python's lambdas suck balls.
Then again, the BDFL's not a big fan of functional-leaning code.
Horses for courses, though - I reach for other langs when I need decent lambdas.

What are you on about?

Only sane advice

But OOP isn't classes.
struct some_object {
int (*some_method)(int, int);
}