EMACS OR VIM?

I want a rage war! I want to see blood on the walls. Go!

Attached: hacker.jpg (1920x1080, 373K)

Other urls found in this thread:

emacswiki.org/emacs/RepeatedStrainInjury
emacswiki.org/emacs/SwapControlAltAndCapsLock
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no

vim because I value the quality of the joints in my hands

Excuse me sir, I believe that GNU Emacs is the superior editor for my personal needs. However, vim definitely has a use for many, and you cannot deny it's excellent use of keybindings.

atom

Hell yes. Ergonomics is a major reason why I got into vim. Repetitive strain from using the mouse is fucking my right hand up.

Attached: 1380632120938.jpg (2191x3020, 861K)

Why? Explain.

Thank you for your inquiry. Could you please clarify which portion of my post you would like me to explain in more depth? Thanks.

Does emacs include a text editor now?
Cool.

the flame war's more emacs and vim vs electron based text editors

Attached: 20180309_143333.jpg (1024x1024, 419K)

Emacs with evil

Vim if you dont want carpal tunnel

>nano

im not even kidding

Hello wasamasa

>implying anyone uses default emacs keybinds

I do though, so do lots of people.
Are vim keybindings supported everywhere in emacs? What about let mode etc..?
How do I get started with evil?

this tbqh
no reason not to use the best of both worlds

hjkl are the only good vim key bindings.
Why would you use vim keybindings in emacs when you can have better bindings with emacs?

Attached: images.jpg (277x182, 6K)

Xah flykeys

Having to hit control with your pinky for everything...

Unless you switch it with tab, and even then...

emacswiki.org/emacs/RepeatedStrainInjury
No excuses with the customization ability of emacs. You don't have to use ctrl for the control key. I switched mine to capslock and it's way more comfy than when I used vim. Looking back vim key bindings are crazy.
>:wq!gjkjdjwugjxjsjg
Like I said before hjkl are only good vim bindings.
Emacs is more fluid and makes sense and can be extended to your needs you own all the keys on your keyboard and has a similar bindings through other platforms like bash.

>Using space bar as both space and control.
>If you press the space bar alone, it inserts a space. If you press it together with another key, it acts as a control key.

Attached: 1519742091120.jpg (387x309, 12K)

You mean like what spacemacs does? How does that work without a command mode?

I'm currently using spacemacs and I like it I originally started this thread b/c I'm trying to find a reason to use the default key bindings instead. My biggest issue is having to hold down control with your pinky (I switched caps and ctrl already). I guess its not much better than hitting esc all the time if I think about it. I just cant decide....

This. Anything else is for try-hards.

>Swapping Control and CapsLock is all well and good, but it often feels like it doesn’t go far enough. Keyboard shortcuts seem to have been written with old Unix and Sun keyboards in mind, where Control and Alt were reversed. Since resoldering a keyboard isn’t an option for most people, why not just swap Control and Alt programatically to use the keyboard the way it was meant to be used?
emacswiki.org/emacs/SwapControlAltAndCapsLock

It's really what's comfortable for you. I'm trying to stick as close to vanilla emacs as I can and expand as necisarry so just switching my caps lock to ctrl has given me enough comfort. Although making alt ctrl seems like it would work too.
Thing with emacs is you have options. It's def a good idea to get used to vanila emacs and grow and adapt as you come across things you want done better.
It's all in a lisp dialect so you don't have to use shiitty scriting languages like vimscript.

Attached: phbAr.png (600x400, 5K)

> I use emacs, which might be thought of as a thermonuclear word processor. It was created by RichardStallman; enough said. It is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is beautiful.

/thread

Attached: images(4).jpg (215x235, 8K)

>caring this much about a fucking text editor
I wonder how many people ITT actually have a fulltime job.

Someone should open an issue on Savannah or wherever emacs is maintained to change "sexp" to a sex neutral word as it discriminates against asexuals.

Riced emacs works better as a IDE, vim is a better text editor.

Visual Studio Community 2017

ed

Nano

vim is the only true patrician choice

Attached: patriciantaste.jpg (600x600, 27K)

i cant find a reason to care about text editors and just use the stock/official ide of a language, the first ide i find, or gedit.

i just dont get it

Attached: 1512079913276.png (1000x1000, 345K)

Boot up Microsoft Word in Wine, obviously

>His pinky is so weak that he can't occasionally press control