What would the computing world be like now if the Amiga had survived long enough to compete with Windows and Apple and...

What would the computing world be like now if the Amiga had survived long enough to compete with Windows and Apple and was still around today?

Attached: Amiga500_system.jpg (2531x1965, 2.16M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-9ZQVlgfEAc
youtube.com/watch?v=qAPD9HA8Unw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It did survive. Nobody uses them.

Production stopped in 1996.

It would have failed in some way or another since Jack Tramiel was a massive head-up ass executive and making rash decisions one way or another ultimately dooming the platform.

A more interesting hypothetical question would be what would have happened if Apple never bought NeXT/instead bought Be. Would NeXT still exist as another OS option in the world still? Would Jobs be still trying to push his plans forward or would give up in the market after too many failures? Would Apple have survived without the acquisition of NeXT/Jobs or with the acquisition with another OS based company such as Be?

A lot of potential scenarios could have unfolded and no doubt shaped things different in the current tech marketplace. Amiga's main success happened overseas for average consumers and as a cheap means of adding graphics to video via the video toaster used in studios as an alternative to more expensive options such as Silicon Graphics systems.

>It would have failed in some way or another since Jack Tramiel was a massive head-up ass executive and making rash decisions one way or another ultimately dooming the platform.
So was Jobs.
youtube.com/watch?v=-9ZQVlgfEAc

It's never about the quality of the hardware, or the quality of the software, you can be absolute shit at both and be a massive success. All that matters is marketing. Jobs proved this.

Amiga would be a video game console.

Hah this, I had one back in the 90s and that’s all it was then too. Golden axe!

Wrong.

Attached: amiga-1200.jpg (4000x6000, 3.69M)

the only great thing that amiga had over pc is its graphics acceleration chip

That, and the preemptive multitasking.
Workbench BTFO's classic Mac OS and Windows 3.1

The low end models like the 1200 and 500 are pretty much useless today. I still have my 500 from when I was a kid, but to do anything good you need one of the high end models from the 90s.

I've got an accelerator installed and 128mb of RAM.

i don't know, mate. i just want the keyboard computer form back. more powerful than the laptop, less powerful than the case desktop that i don't really need but it just takes up space

Just have a PC that mounts on the back of the monitor.

It would be extremely comfy. The Amiga was nearly a decade ahead of its time. Unfortunately, Commodore would have no clue as to what to do with them.

>It did survive. Nobody uses them.

they were used by fucking NASA, and a shitload of tv/video producers because of the hardware genlock. I've seen music videos produced on Amigas in the 90s.

Attached: home computing in 1988.jpg (1423x797, 183K)

Amiga rules. Forever.

Attached: 1502585586750.jpg (1600x1132, 1021K)

>What would the computing world be like now if the Amiga
let me stop you there and just say "it didnt happen, so nobody knows"

funny how the 5th OS is forgotten despite the chips have conquered the world

Attached: RISCOS3-800x600.png (800x600, 9K)

Amiga could emulate all of them. Even the lowly A500 made a better Mac than the Macintosh.

>coop multitasking
>not preemptive
Forgotten is a good thing.

>they were used by fucking NASA

Neat:

youtube.com/watch?v=qAPD9HA8Unw

oldfag here. I remember fapping to party games on the amiga 500.

watched The.Commodore.Story.2018.DOCU.1080P.WEBRIP.X264-WATCHABLE.mkv recently which was pretty great.

they tried that

my primary school had a couple Acorn machines, one had a game called "Um" on it, which i've never been able to find

that's the Amiga CD32.

It would be extremely expensive for no reason like it was in the 90's.
PPC accelerators would be used for bitcoin mining, and cost upwards of 5000€
Nothing changed.

Attached: supercock.jpg (600x315, 31K)