What got you into programming?

What got you into programming?

Attached: Thinking_Face_Emoji_large.png (480x480, 101K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BV32Cs_CMqo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

being unattractive / no female attention.
programming is catharsis of sexual frustration

writing scripts for dumb IRC shit when I was little

im autistic and the computer understands me and i feel like god because the computer does what i tell it

I'm really really good at Computer

Wanting to make video games. And the finally feeling like I have control over something for once.

Attached: apu-apustaja-tears.png (656x755, 57K)

This, mirc scripting

i wanted to bot runescape gold so i could buy a gf

When i was small, some dude said he could program atari games, and i got all excited with the possibility of having my own game done.
But then it turned out to be just a retarded 80's BR slang for buying something, but the idea stuck.

I had no frens and hard depression

I felt like making a runescape bot. Started with Java. I really liked it. Decided to get into python. I liked that even more. Then I realized I liked it a lot more than playing games.

originally because Thought girls would think im smart and that id make money. Turns out i really like it because its like math and my autistic brain likes math a lot

>What got you into programming?
the estradiol OwO

Attached: mpv-shot0003.jpg (1920x1080, 187K)

So i can make fun of all the betas when they think they're safe

Degenerate.

I wanted to make vidya. My best friend growing up was also into it so we programmed shitty games together in C++ with SDL.

Good times.

my dad...

Attached: 1519708445509.jpg (250x242, 7K)

Garrysmod wire

don't bully her!

I'm not bullying her, just saying that what she does is wrong [spoiler]unless she isn't white[/spoiler]

I couldn't think of any job I would hate less. I stayed away from programming until college, the most I'd done was some windows batch scripts, automating torrent encodes of anime, and setting up a Sup Forums archive.
Started learning C++ from a textbook because it's a big boy language, now after college I actually have a job and it's wonderful, i get to code and it's so much more fulfilling than being neet.

Hacking diablo 2

Its the only time in my life I get to have control over something

Wanted to make a gayme, and I did. A really shitty one.

Hey I need advice, maybe someone will reply in here

I'm an art student, got my first degree 3 weeks ago, studied for video but recently got to the video art/interactive art culture and I'm seriously liking it.

For my thesis I made a software in unreal engine, a crazy girl following the user with kinect and talking with him with voice recognition. I liked it.

Now I want to do something more and i'm wondering if I should learn a programming language. Where do I start? All I would need outside unreal is small and simple UIs, video compositing (so "when input received start this video with this size at this position"), audio, support for different I/O, this kind of stuff.
Is there something easy to learn?

C++ for graphics and general 3D design

Cute anime girls!

I wanted to win at video games. I learned to program so I could write a save file editor. Then I kept on and years later I made some scripts and stuff.

Some shit Vtech business laptop before they went full-kiddie mode.
It had BASIC on it.
I found this at the age of 9, my curious self reading through the guide-book, I found the programming pages.
I got hooked. By 10 I made a simple spreadsheet clone, then made it printable, made a simple text adventure game at 11 and it went from there.
I still have some of the printed pages of the text adventure game I found in some boxes somewhere. But fuck trying to find it just now, house is a mess getting renovated.
Even had a file saving method to hold all your current stats, admittedly it was a password system since there was no file IO in this BASIC.

Attached: vtech it laptop.jpg (682x750, 71K)

i should add, i don't want to follow le "i want to make gayms" meme, i already have a career path in 2D/3D video-design for events or in video production in general if i want to, but i did my thesis on interactive media communication, basically artistic new ways to express.

to better explain, italianfag and in italy we have a group called "studio azzurro", they made all kinds of crazy stuff from the 80s, basically their style is making "ambienti sensibili", sensible ambients, big rooms filled with video installations and all kinds of sensor in order to express something artistic.

i may be crazy but i seriously see a job in this kind of stuff
I already know how to make simple stuff i can sell in blender and all the rest, i wonder if C++ is the simplest way to do this stuff

c++, sadly, is the best hope you have of getting a job in that shit gaming industry.
Have fun learning objectively the best and worst language that exists.
People often equate it to a swiss army knife. Oh, oh no, I equate it to DNA.
Entire companies blacklist sections of the c++ spec because it doesn't integrate well with the other language, or outright causes crashes.
It is a monolithic piece of shit that sadly became the industry standard.

Of course, if you are just wanting to make interactive art installations, don't even go near that train-wreck language, pick literally anything else with graphics support.
Even JavaScript is better in that regard.
Just don't use fucking jQuery or [insert every other meme framework of the week], do it native.
Native JS is a fuckload faster than anything these shit libraries can put out, even the ones that purely work on Canvas. (most library bloat is due to DOM interaction and heavy event handler overhead)
Python is another good one for its massive library of code to drive LEDs, screens and such. Albeit a little slower, but if you don't need ultra blazing fast speeds, it works a treat.

Since I departed from the idea of becoming a doctor I needed to think of something else to do with my life. So I have chosen programming since it seemed ok. Not regretting it t b h.

Attached: 1483637785428.jpg (600x337, 19K)

>imagine being at computers

I'm autistic so computers always interested me.
>get good grades for my high school copying code from google class
>decide to go do computer science in college because of that
>they don't teach us how to program but instead teach us how to "design user friendly software" without explaining how anything actually works
>flunk out and switch to electrical engineering
>actually learn how to how to fucking program there (mostly C but some other things as well)
>pass every single programming class and fail almost everything else
>am now stuck studying for power engineering classes for my final year because I neglected those
I just want a comfy programming job.

delet this

Attached: wojak_seething_rage.jpg (601x601, 106K)

let's say i can afford high-end i7s just to light up a led by pressing a key, in our field every kind of hardware is not a problem cause everything is selfmade specifically for a single event and all high costs are in the budget from the beginning.
example: if you watch Linus Tech Tips he goes like WOOO LOOK AT THIS EXTREME 8.000 LUMEN PROJECTOR

Well, for something very basic last time i used 4 10.000 Lumen projectors blended together, most of the time for big projects there are like half a dozen of 24.000 lumen projectors. Everything is rented and nobody cares if you ask a 4.000€ workstation for 2 days

What takes me from "i want to do this kind of stuff" to "done" in less time?

Lack of social skills, I'd go to library during high school and program some comfy python during free periods

>built a game engine
>no longer interested in games so never use it for anything

Attached: monkey.jpg (3840x2160, 852K)

This, sort of. My first introduction to programming was a Diablo 2 bot called MMBot, written in AutoIt. I wanted to know how it worked so I started messing around with AutoIt and found it was really fun.

I still have the code for the GUI that I made for it.

Attached: mmbot gui.png (322x357, 9K)

Try making a 3D modelling tool and not getting bought out by autodesk.

Shitty YouTube notepad videos in like 2009

Videogames.
Bought Battlezone 2 one day and someone in the Bus talked to be, he put the idea in my head that instead of just playing games I might enjoy making them too.

Tried and failed to learn C++ and DIV (some Game creator studio language).
Went on an internship at a research institute in 2003 where I picked up some LabVIEW and Java.
Started to actually, really get good around 2009 when I worked through the Qt toolkit which was an eye-opener and made C++ fun again.

Today its mostly C++, Common Lisp, Python, Bash, SQL.

Completely disagree.
C++ was a trainwreck until C++03, latest.
It was hard until C++11 came out.
But today its an awesome language. The only reason anything crashes is because of crappy devs that do not know how to code.

JS is a horrible language, it was never meant to see the light of day. Only use it if you 200% must, if nothing else can possibly work.

>JS is a horrible language, it was never meant to see the light of day. Only use it if you 200% must, if nothing else can possibly work.
Still doesn't change the fact Unreal Engine 4 works in it.
JS is fine. In fact it is better than fine these days.
c++ still suffers from many huge issues that crop up regularly. Particularly with regards to improper management of data sources, which is as easy to do in c++ as it is in that piece of shit PHP.
Until that disaster is fixed, c++ is most certainly not fine.
Also, JS partially suffers from this issue as well.

You can't just say "hurr well dats the users fault". A language should be exact and robust in what it does. If there is unintended behaviour, that is the fault of the language, not the user.
c++ is fucking laced with unintended behaviour.
That's why even now companies still have blanket-bans on entire sub-sections of the language.

>Still doesn't change the fact Unreal Engine 4 works in it.
>Unreal Engine
>In JS

L-E-L!!

UE is 100% C++, that they provide an API to a shitlang like JS only shows how great C++ is.

>c++ still suffers from many huge issues that crop up regularly. Particularly with regards to improper management of data sources, which is as easy to do in c++ as it is in that piece of shit PHP.
Wait, so does it suffer from it, or is it easy to do?
You are contradicting yourself here

> If there is unintended behaviour, that is the fault of the language, not the user.
The unintended behaviour is exclusively on the side of the users as everything is nicely documented in C++. C++ simply does not stop you from shooting yourself in the foot because a significant fraction of its userbase requires this feature and is smart enough to use it correctly.

>That's why even now companies still have blanket-bans on entire sub-sections of the language.
Companies dont know shit.

No, they literally compiled UE3 (UE3, not UE4, woops) to JS.
Wait, do you think JS is still a slow piece of shit from the early 2000s? lmao nigga JS is JIT'd now. It's faster than some native languages with the optimizations it has these days.
No API at all. I ran the fucking thing myself. I don't even have any UE games.

As for the c++ shitfest, I'll leave it to a guy that knows more math than probably everyone in this thread combined.
>The problem that I have with them today is that... C++ is too complicated. At the moment, it's impossible for me to write portable code that I believe would work on lots of different systems, unless I avoid all exotic features. Whenever the C++ language designers had two competing ideas as to how they should solve some problem, they said "OK, we'll do them both". So the language is too baroque for my taste.
c++ is basically Java, now.
It can't write universal code when you use any advanced features. It becomes horribly unpredictable.
Half the fucking language is incompatible with itself.
That's why most companies ban entire sub-sections.
These are companies bringing in multiple millions every year across every industry, including the sciences.
Stop sucking a languages dick. It's a tool like any other. Doesn't mean it isn't a fucking awkward to use tool.
Literally nobody of worth in the industry agrees with the phrase "c++ is good", just that it is useful.

modding gaems

Impressing kids in middle school by making terrible gamemaker games.

wasnt sure if you were a troll or just ridiculously stupid, but this post removed all doubt.

JS is not faster than C or C++ and never will. Go see benchmarks. And look at actual benchmarks, not some random web "developer" who ran a simple for loop and compared results like the brainlet he is.
You are just absolutely retarded and have no idea what you're talking about. You're saying C++ is java because it's not really portable. That's not true at all. C++ Is very portable for the main OSes with little to no changes of a codebase at all. Java is really portable too, and with Java you don't need to recompile for every target platform.
>advanced features
No, not really. Everything will work flawlessly on every platform as long as you're not doing some very low level stuff or using a library that doesn't work well on all platforms.
>Stop sucking a languages dick
That's you.

had some fun making flash games when i was young, and still enjoy doing it now. Its been a while since the last time i did it but i can see myself doing it as a job.

this

>UE in JS
cant even count on how many levels you are being a retard right now.

Attached: Screenshot-2018-3-16 Unreal Engine - Wikipedia.png (1718x2882, 1.2M)

>Everything will work flawlessly on every platform as long as you're not doing some very low level stuff or using a library that doesn't work well on all platforms.
So, advanced features. Fucking idiot lol
SUPER portable bros.

Also, I never said it was faster than C or C++, just faster than some shit-tier native languages that have no or poor optimizations for modern hardware, but are still regularly used today.

As for sucking a languages dick, I despise JS.
Deal with it. Still doesn't change the fact it isn't shit like it used to be.
C++ got even more shit than it used to be. But due to a legacy of support, it is still used just like Facebook is still used despite better sites. Legacy trumps features every time.

It's been compiled to JS. Deal with it, you dumb illiterate cunt.

just STFU please.

Tell me about your dad user

Unity and a mc mod 'ComputerCraft (lua)

Python or any other high level language.

Only when you have your programming socks on

Attached: lmao.jpg (640x486, 31K)

Playing vidya gaems as a kid back in the eighties. Not a really exciting story, but there it is.

Attached: 1516103184778.png (256x224, 5K)

I wanted to scale down a full folder of images by 50% so I made my own script for doing that.

Lack of interest from girls + too much time to waste.

Attached: 1520465752976.jpg (3024x4032, 1.78M)

>be me
>search "how to haxx xdddd" on jewtube
>learn how to make cmd green
>l33t fucking haxxor
>read more articles on hacking
>realise it's not clicking a button and you're in the pentagon's data system
>learn about kali linux and hacking tools
>see some faggot calling me a skiddie because i can't program, he told me real chads know how to program, you can't be hacker without them l33t programmer skills
>mfw
>learn python
>kinda fun
>made some fun ebin shit
>eventually ditched hacking and got into real programming and learned about computer science, data structures and algorithms

and here i am

Not h(((((((ir))))))), but nothing can be wrong unless it's harmful to the innocent.

White Race is innocent

1) A race can't be innocent. Only individuals can be described as innocent or guilty. Describing any broader grouping by these terms is grossly unfair to any constituent individuals who may not conform to the description.
2) Regardless, transgenderism is not harmful to the white race.

1) It can
2)>transgenderism is not harmful
found the commie

>1) It can
Since you haven't actually argued for this point, whereas I have actually supplied reasoning for disagreeing with it, my argument to the contrary is stronger by default.
>2)>transgenderism is not harmful
>found the commie
It's true though. Transgender people who identify as straight women aren't going to have sex with cisgender women even if they choose to keep the equipment they'd require to do so. Therefore, letting them do whatever they want to their bodies results in no reproductive loss.

Enjoying videogames and wanted to make my own

tl:dr

necessity for food and shelter

gender this gender that, nigger there are 2 genders, man and woman. anything else is mental illness.

I accept your forfeiture.

>there are 2 genders, man and woman. anything else is mental illness.
I phrased my argument in such a way that accepting these two claims of yours as true does not weaken it.
Notice:
>Transgender people who identify as straight women
This does not at any point imply that because they identify this way, so they are. It simply says they identify this way. Make of that what you will -- call it mental illness or whatever -- my argument stands nonetheless.

Money. I'm also good at computers.

Nah

To be honest Evangelion.
When I was a kid i watched that episode with then angel-virus infecting the NERV's computers and ever since then I though computers were cool and I wanted to learn whatever Ritsuko did in that episode.

Then I take it you rescind the forfeiture.
I accept this as well and eagerly await your counterargument (since, if indeed you're not forfeiting the debate, you must of course have one to give).

This, and Minecraft mods. Always thought I was going to make the next best mod, then I realized Java is shit.

>not writing a haskell implementation in java for the specific sole purpose of comfortably making minecraft mods
it's like you don't even want that (((((enchanted obsidian armor)))))))

((((((((((You)))))

(((No u)))
(Counterargument to keep discussion alive)

The only way to apply maths without having to deal with faggots (traders and physicians)

>(((No u)))
>(Counterargument
kek

Attached: mario_uses_his_magic_on_toad_by_holyphat1-dbe1pgl.png (591x415, 34K)

I really liked math when I was in primary school and programming was the surest route to success for a middle-class white guy who fucking hated marketing and dishonesty.

The second one's better

What about programming interests the people in this thread?

>principal calls me in
>son, you are too stupid for university, go to coding boot camp instead
>o-okay .__.

Fast forward 5 years, still doing web.

I like putting things in logical order.

Digging into games to see how they work, unfortunately actual programming work has made me all but hate it as anything more than a hobby.

Attached: A cruel reality is better than a false fantasy.png (487x731, 472K)

autism

Nothing. I don't program.

Due to my father leaving, I learned how little control I have of the world around me. Programming makes me feel like I do have some control.

Infinite creativity.
Shitposting. (pic related)
Can make tools as and when I need them.
Extending features of other programs and tools when I need to.

Attached: chaos drawball.jpg (2705x2705, 1.25M)

Nothing. It is merely a means to an end.