Uni thread

Which of these does Sup Forums think is best and in what way: CS, SE, CE or EE?

Is CS oversaturated?
Is there anything good about SE?
Should we go for CE instead?
What about EE?

Discuss.

Attached: 1511640763900.jpg (1813x2377, 289K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techblog.bozho.net/the-astonishingly-low-quality-of-scientific-code/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just study what you want not the current flavor of the month meme degree.

This, plus any STEM degree can be tailored towards programming.

I majored in Mathematics but work as a programmer.

it basically just depends on what you want out of the degree...
i.e. dont be EE if you want to be a web app dev

maki is a goddess

In terms of respectability, EE > CE > SE > CS
"best" needs some qualifiers. Are you just trying to make the most money? Are you trying to pick the most intellectually challenging degree program? Are you trying to pick the field with the most unmet market demand?

>Are you trying to pick the field with the most unmet market demand?
Let's say I'm trying to do that.
Also, I want to have a secure job in my 40ties.

CS: math degree where they teach you programming to be marketable, get whatever programming job you want because people don't know what CS is
I know people with any of those 4 degrees that found their way into programming instead of something more applicable to their degree (except SE of course).
Just be an EE if you don't know what you want to do, you can do anything with that degree. SE is the least broad and CE is a meme.

agreed

>respectability
>SE > CS
Also
>not knowing CE's score lower than computer nerds

>40ties
If anyone tells you that they know what the market will be like 20 years from now, they're liars.

They can make an informed guess and possibly explain their reasoning.

>Let's say I'm trying to do that.
You probably don't want CS or SE then. The market for them is big and growing, but the pool of candidates is bigger and growing faster. This is not at all helped by new technologies making it easier for less skilled programmers to do sufficiently useful work.
CE is a much smaller market, but you can generally fall into the CS or EE market with a little more effort if you need to. It keeps your options open the most
EE is a small market compared to CS, and it's not growing much at all, but it's a very difficult degree program and there's a fairly balanced pool of applicants. If you can make it through getting an EE degree, you'll very likely get a good job that you can stay at for decades. It's hard to predict job markets, especially in tech fields, but EE is probably your safest bet for stability.

>CE IS a meme
At least in my country (EU) its just something in between electrical engineering and computer science, sounds pretty nice to me.
In EE you don't see as much programming and in CS you don't see as much electronics (well you don't see anything at all actually).

>>SE > CS
Yeah. CS students are notoriously retarded

CS/SE in a nutshell:
>Hey guys! I'm a computer scientist! I'm an engineer!
>I don't know how a transistor works!

In my country also EU CE is like you describe it and in my country it has a better avg entry salary than most of the engineering majors(master of science)

CS are going to have questionable code quality, no doubt
techblog.bozho.net/the-astonishingly-low-quality-of-scientific-code/
But thinking they're more retarded than Fashion Driven Developers is a bit of a stretch

I want the original pic not a cropped pls

>Just be an EE if you don't know what you want to do, you can do anything with that degree.
Oh boy, considering the type of code EEs are known to produce...

Computer scientists aren't engineers. They're not even scientists. Their field deals with the representation and manipulation of data.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Why do so many Japanese-style artists draw the outline of the nipple?

Related question: why do those same artists prefer to draw inverted nipples when the breast is naked?

Adding to CE: My school's CE program is fairly broad spectrum and nearly identical to a CS degree until about the third year. You get the opportunity to specialize in more EE-centric fields (e.g. control systems) without losing basic CS knowledge. It's definitely more of an embedded systems degree and about how you target the skills. Very good if you're interested in things like robotics (most CS students will lack the knowledge base for analog sensors or feedback systems and will probably not know what a transistor is).
That said "CE" varies wildly between schools so see what yours is like.

Guess at what you want to do first then pick the major that is most related to that.

This.
I did applied maths for MSc and work with Machine Learning.

why would a software dev need to know how a transistor works?

What am I looking at?

because it's the most basic underlying element of everything that runs software and enables software development?

>crop
there'd be no reason why user would post a sfw crop. thats the whole thing unfortunately

but do you need it to science computers? idts

>CS, SE, CE or EE
Dum question but what does SE stand for?

Software Engineering, I assume.

Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering