cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2013-3198/
github.com/zavg/linux-0.01
github.com/torvalds/linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Theres probably even 80s code in modern systems

x86 users will defend it

>there's still linux 1 code in linux 4
freetards will defend this

there's code in the kernel of linux from the 90's, but so what?
there is nothing wrong with either of those

Demands from computers are far too varied to ever be able to go back again, unless its done with the intention of purposely not performing certain expected tasks.

I can virtually guarantee you that there's code in Windows 10 that goes back WAY further than Windows 95. What's going to blow your mind later is the realization that if that code were to be removed, so would your only compelling reason to use Windows at all.

>code is old
>so now it's no longer good
You look like a retard OP

Microsoft understands some of their customers need backward compatibility and make it happen.

the thing is that a lot of old code tends to be complete shit, that's why it's considered a sign of bad quality

Dumb freetard. Raymond Chen is based, and no other OS has anything near Windows' 20+ years of x86 ABI compatibility. Microsoft has its problems, but commitment to supporting ancient applications isn't one of them.

>the thing is that a lot of old code tends to be complete shit
where the fuck are you even getting that from?
your ass isn't a valid source

>What's going to blow your mind later is the realization that if that code were to be removed, so would your only compelling reason to use Windows at all.
I don't use any DOS applications, so I highly doubt that.

project experience

every time we look at legacy code, it's full of errors, logical flaws, lacking robustness and validation, overengineering, spaghetti logic, exposed state, side effects, etc

on the other hand every recently written project is concise, safe, readable, and just werks

I blame the lack of proper tooling and learned lessons the dinosaur programmer generation had

he seems to be a cool guy

>on the other hand every recently written project is concise, safe, readable, and just werks
>project experience
Was it like, 1 day?

It would be logical to assume the old code left behind is the stuff that works

this happens with any software old enough that still has users, fuck man look at iTunes, it's a fucking ancient mp3 player library manager, an mp3 store, and two different streaming services and defunct social network. software is so fucking bad these days.

Attached: 1516023985378.jpg (680x255, 28K)

>comparing OS code to some preschool projects of yours
had a laugh, thanks user

Windows is a piece of shit

even worse since it can only run jewfaggot Intel, hopefully AMD keeps up the ryzen success and Qualcomm's x86 emulation gets somewhere

i7 2700K - 2011
i7 7700K - 2017

Performance difference: 42%

that's just fucking 7% increase per year

GTX 580 - 2010
GTX 1080 - 2016

Performance difference: 310%

that's about 50% increase per year

>inb4 CPU's are more complex

yes they are, but AMD 2nd gen ryzen coming out soon has a 20% performance increase, and AMD is about 1/8th of the size of Intel

and the same has happened with Phone CPU's
Qualcomm, Sony, Apple, every phone CPU consistently gets at least 20% performance increase every year

but to bad Intel has a monopoly on x86, hopefully smoeone decides to make a good OS for ARM that makes it worthwhile for large firms to port their software to it

>bank and govt backends is preschool projects
sure m8

>i'm only pretending to be retarded
God, I hope so.

There is nothing wrong with that, it's actually a bless for people out there that needs to work with legacy stuff

yes, and your dad works for nintendo too, of course

>Linux is basically the same since 90's
freetards will defend this

>old code tends to be complete shit
it's the opposite actually

Not an argument.

The problem isn't that there's old code in Windows 10, but that nobody possibly knows or remembers what it does or how to maintain it.

Attached: afa7924b021aad26bdf978f37df97208b64fc488.jpg (359x500, 90K)

/thread
OP BTFO

if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Attached: 1477654774463.png (1535x2638, 3.19M)

I'm a pretty big fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
But Windows needs to start from scratch with no concern for backwards compatibility one day.

Scrap the clusterfuck that is the WinAPI and replace it with something modular and object-oriented.

>he needed an ask the dev to know this

ut if we kill x86 how wil i olay games? and if i dont play games what will i do all day?

UWP is that

Yet those parts of Windows perform better, are more stable and reliable than the brand new parts.

You say that, but would probably complain if you had to use Windows 10 S over regular 10.

>it's intel's fault that AMD is fucking garbage
Fuck even Mediatek is doing a better job at performance gains than AMD.

>there're still wheels on modern cars

just recompile them for arm|sparc|ppc|mips|risc-v

>"replace the win API with something OO"
just no

Attached: 1125411312768.jpg (500x375, 33K)

I feel like raymond chen doesn't even defend it

The wheel was invented in the stone age, how can the top of the line Mercedes use wheels? Lmao

Not but, on the off chance you're a flaming retard and not simply trolling, the modern Windows codebase doesn't derive from DOS, it comes from NT, which began development in 89.

>The wheel was invented in the stone age, how can the top of the line Mercedes use wheels?
they should use hovers/thrusters instead

>recompile without having the source code

Not that guy, but what they should do is support both a newer api that doesn't have the string "This program cannot be run in DOS mode." right in front of the program
Deprecate the old stuff, within 10 years stop officially supporting the old stuff, and 20 years purge every reference of the old stuff from the repositories
That's what normal companies do

Barely, Linux is constantly changing while Microsoft was bugfix-only for decades

What API are you talking about? Do you mean the PE format windows exes and dlls use? Do you even know what you mean or are you talking out your ass?

Attached: 1136016567998.jpg (335x352, 49K)

that pathetic little clapping baby song at the beginning

They should have aborted you instead

There's 1979 86-DOS code in Windows 10 (command.com, only on 32 bit)

How much more energy do you have to put in to use this form of transport over a fucking wheel? How likely is it to break down and leave you stranded over a fucking wheel? A simple robust solution that gets the job done over a needlessly complex one is something every engineer should strive for.

this guy has the right idea

Though it can't be definitely proven, it is widely believed that there are still some bits of QDOS from 1980 remaining in contemporary Windows.

EDLIN, written in 1980, continues to be distributed with the 32 bit version of Windows.

None of what you said refutes the point there is decades old code in the most recent release

So you just confirmed he wouldn't be running DOS applications which is what he said you fucking kike.

Hopefully this will be converted in optional downloadable emulation stances that will free Windows of all that cruft.

So? Do you expect every new version to be built from the ground up instead of by improving existing code?

>AMD is fault of Intel sleeping on their asses

ITT: winfags defending the bloating presence of obsolete decades-old code in their """modern""" and """secure""" version of windows, just as i predicted

>tfw there's still BSD TCP/IP code from the early 80s in Windows 10

>but if linux has ancient code on their primitive VT subsystem or X.org still has 80´s graphics solutions isn't a issue :^)

Every game you love will be re-released for mobile

As long as you love the game and want to play it they will find a way to sell it to you

Linux isn't inherently shit like Windows.

Except when it does, of course

Except when it does what?

will microsoft ever use linux in the future or are they still too proud for that? at this rate they won't be able to milk windows 10 for many more years.

OP was right, wintoddlers defended it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They already made Windows Subsystem For Linux, and support Linux on Azure.

Becoming inherently shit, of course.
>you can't do multiseat properly because your broken-as-fuck VT subsystem

cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2013-3198/

Will Microsoft ever abandon the NT kernel and make a GNU/Linux based version of Windows from the ground up?

No.
For what reason your want to do that in first place?

>Windows Subsystem For Linux
can't do much with it though. it's just for show.

> support Linux on Azure
that's something at least.

If they do that they die. Every single attempt to move away from x86 win32 since the 1990s has been a catastrophic failure. Even the ARM laptops coming with Windows 10 include hardware accelerated x86 emulation.

>>there's still Windows 95 code in Windows 10
>>there's still linux 1 code in linux 4
It's possible. Here's something fun to look at: github.com/zavg/linux-0.01

Yes, that's Linux kernel 0.01. Then go compare it to the modern kernel at github.com/torvalds/linux

It would be so cool if anyone can find something from 0.01 that's still around.

>github.com/zavg/linux-0.01
Wasn't Linux rewrote from scratch in the next version?

>Raymond Chen
This guy is disgustingly talented. Why is he still at MS?

Attached: 1517760064600.jpg (1001x1180, 133K)

Perhaps he's paid well enough to be here, or MS provides some kind of stability that other companies don't.
One of my parents still is in the same company because of that stability. Perhaps its the same case here.

Why the fuck would you change code that doesn't need to be changed retard?

Because it's old. It's the soyboy way. They'll remake it but bigger, slower and less stable.

But hey, the same code can be compiled for Windows Mobile if they ever resurrect it, so it's a win all around.

The only code Windows 10 added was telemetry, Metro, Cortana and Windows Store.

Windows 10 devolved from Windows 95.

Attached: 1264701016787.png (400x375, 64K)

>mips
My nigga

It's called legacy code, you can never truly escape it's warm embrace

The only way Windows can survive is if it is the pile of old code and shit that it is today. Windows 10 S is universally rejected and people want a system that can run more applications even if they don't really use them. You can bring decent chunks of the userbase forward if you release tools like the Adobe Suite or current AAA games on a newer platform but you will still have quite a few people trying to run the kind of shit that doesn't even work well on WINE. Legacy is what Windows has. Let MS leave it so people move away from it.

Also what I find really sad and disgusting is the constant attempts by Microsoft to be like "oh we cool with Linux, here's WSL, here's all this money, here's dicking some Canonical", I honestly think that these people are thinking of moving forward by releasing what will be considered as a brand new version of Windows (no longer called that) with a loonix kernel because these people have no chance by building something entirely new. Call it Microsoft OS or whatever, since now these hipster indian filled companies always decide to use simplistic and really dumb, ambiguous names.

He seems like a cool guy tbdesu

What if it's usable code that is crucial for legacy support

Arguing with freeturds is like mud wrestling with a pig

This is sad

Clearly not crucial at all

What's wrong with 9-5? I'm trying to get into tech to not have to do overtime like I already do. Are you meaning to tell me I'll still have to work whole days? What the fuck do I do to actually live instead of work?

because his expertise involves Microsoft products

So there are NO software at all that uses the said code?

Wow

Gay asian fixes bugs in windows 10, id take him(male) over some white fat bearded nerd using thinkpads

Why don't you watch the video and see what he says about it, retard? He says people are likely not running any affected programs any more.

> Trying to get into tech
> Doesn't want to do overtime
Haha, good luck with that mate!

Thanks. What should I get into instead? Fuck overtime.

Who fucking cares
As long as it's still serving a purpose it doesn't matter how old it is.

Falafel restaurant

>comparing GPUs to CPUs
kek