Do you have a smart TV, Sup Forums? Is it connected to the internet?

Do you have a smart TV, Sup Forums? Is it connected to the internet?

Also Pi-hole thread I guess.

Attached: thanks, samsung!.png (1259x680, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wally3k.github.io/
github.com/stangri/openwrt_packages/blob/master/simple-adblock/files/README.md
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>597,876 domains on blocklist
Fuck, is there a list somewhere?

Attached: pihole.png (1252x724, 117K)

Blocked my bravia's spyware one night, it made 20,000+ attempts to call home in one night. I literally had to unblock it because it was fucking hammering the pi.

I once had 3 M Blocks. There are a whole bunch of lists online available

wally3k.github.io/
I'm only using the checkmarked ones, you could have a bunch more domains if you don't mind potential false positives.

This is linked from Pi-hole FAQs btw.

This is awesome, ty user

Really tempted to build a pi-hole. Is it worth it?

Does it negatively affect network or router performance at all?
Does it break any html/css/js page layout on websites at all?
Does it block anything that's actually kinda useful?
Do you ever come across things on websites, or sites in general that are blocked or broken, and then have to got add them to your whitelist?
Is it worth it over like u-block or something?

Attached: blocks your path.png (996x835, 99K)

I've had one site blocked and it's easy to add stuff to the whitelist.

Do you guys think a rasp-pi could handle being both a pi-hole and a Retro Pi at the same time? or better to keep them separate?

If it were me I would keep my network-wide primary DNS server separate and just get another pi, they're cheap enough it just doesn't make sense to take any risks.

Keep this thread alive for another few hours and I'll answer thoroughly, tl;dr yes, no, no, depends on your blocklists but generally no, not so far also white/blacklisting is piss easy, yes.

bump because

this

It might be useful if you have a raspberry pi already.

But if you have a router with LEDE you can do this on the router without needing a meme device.

I tried one of the OG versions of Pi hole,

Have they added something like a white list?

I stopped using it because it blocked thing I wanted too use.

Attached: 1519953861543.jpg (300x300, 37K)

Every query in the log has a whitelist/blacklist button next to it. And you can just add entries manually if you want.

>Do you have a smart TV, Sup Forums? Is it connected to the internet?
Anyone who connects their smart TV to the internet is a fucking idiot.

>Is it worth it over like u-block or something?
No. If you can have an actual adblocker/script controls on the device that you're using then that is always the better option. Shit like Pi-hole and hosts files for blocking ads are only reasonable options if you're using shitty locked down devices that no doubt spy on you in a fuckton of other ways anyways today. Otherwise those options are just clunky and hard to adjust when compared to options like uBlock, uMatrix, and Noscript.

also you can do wildcard whitelist/blocklisting

>Anyone who connects their smart TV to the internet is a fucking idiot.
I'm sorry you can't afford N*tfl*x or *m*z*n subscription.

>
>>Is it worth it over like u-block or something?
>No. If you can have an actual adblocker/script controls on the device that you're using then that is always the better option.
Incorrect, you're taking the burden of filtering away from the already bloated browser and putting it on a dedicated device. On PC it works best on conjunction with ublock and umatrix if you have some very specific per-site cases, but you could do without. I added Pi-hole to my system with already configured uO (as will be the case with 99.9% users) and the performance improvement is night and day, especially on script heavy sites.

>Shit like Pi-hole and hosts files for blocking ads are only reasonable options if you're using shitty locked down devices that no doubt spy on you in a fuckton of other ways anyways today.
Pi-hole can use literally the same domain block lists as the browser blockers. And even on PC, what are eg. the malicious telemetry blockers for any program that is not a web browser?

>Otherwise those options are just clunky and hard to adjust when compared to options like uBlock, uMatrix, and Noscript.
You can get Pi-hole up and running in less than 10 minutes from a factory fresh raspi. And it's more straightforward and less technical than some of the concepts behind uO/uM.

I know this was a bait contrarian post but fuck you and your lies.

I have a router with LEDE, please point me to the right direction. I can't Google for shit.

>I'm sorry you can't afford N*tfl*x or *m*z*n subscription.
>doing business with companies that don't respect your privacy
>using hardware that's been shown to not respect your privacy
>not pirating and using a separate machine that you actually have full control over

>Incorrect, you're taking the burden of filtering away from the already bloated browser and putting it on a dedicated device
Yeah, uBlock/uMatrix/Noscript take up so many cycles. We're talking about a glorified DNS server that people run on a god damn Raspberry Pi Zero to service multiple users for fucks sake.

>I added Pi-hole to my system with already configured uO (as will be the case with 99.9% users) and the performance improvement is night and day, especially on script heavy sites.
What kind of potato do you use for web browsing? I'm still running a decade old desktop without issues. The only machine I've been able to notice a difference on when blocking shit is an old netbook with an Intel N270 that I had locked at 800 MHz (normal clock rate is 1.6 GHz), where there was a couple second difference when comparing running uBlock and uMatrix to just running uMatrix, but that's completely beyond what anyone would realistically be using today.

>You can get Pi-hole up and running in less than 10 minutes from a factory fresh raspi.
That's nice. I'm talking about controlling what's being filtered on the fly though in case something breaks. Accessing a convenient menu in my browser will always be faster than connecting to a remote machine and changing settings that way.

>And it's more straightforward and less technical than some of the concepts behind uO/uM.
If uBlock is too technical for you, then you shouldn't be on Sup Forums. I guess I can add another use case for Pi-hole: "For if you're a fucking retard who thinks normal adblocker extensions for your browser are too technical."

Backup your config and then try this: github.com/stangri/openwrt_packages/blob/master/simple-adblock/files/README.md

You just have to install the 2 packages at the bottom of this screenshot from the software section, then it'll add an adblocking section to lede

Attached: Screenshot_2018-03-17-04-21-20-070_com.brave.browser.png (1080x2160, 163K)

the only thing about pi-hole that makes it hard to use is the amount of shitty domains that streaming services use from set-top or smartTV apps. For example there is one specific netfilx domain which, if blocked, lowers your video quality to the lowest setting. It must be a domain to test the connection quality. Well, there are others like that for Amazon and all the others, and in a family environment its a bitch. It would be nice if someone could make a streaming whitelist