I'm trying vim to see what it's like but I don't understand the supposed efficiency gains

I'm trying vim to see what it's like but I don't understand the supposed efficiency gains.

>copy all text in a file in a typical editor
ctrl+c ctrl+c

>copy all text in a file in vim
ctrl+[ g g " + y G

I honestly don't get it.

Attached: vim.jpg (791x544, 96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/justinmk/vim-sneak
kakoune.org/
vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/visual.html#visual-operators
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well if you want to get extremely technical

Attached: Screenshot_20180317-142950.png (1080x1920, 330K)

ITT: how to fix vim and productivity memes nobody ever needs

Ah yes you definitely dont need to change arbitrary words and/or exact lines in a text file
Have you ever programmed anything at all? Vim is unmatched in that respect.
Granted, if you spend most of your time writing code and less editing it, you're better with 99% of other things
But having done a shit ton projects in C in the past 10 years, no other editor even comes close to actually editing

Haha yeah man, right on. Just try deleting a line and pasting it 2 lines down.

>Typical editor

>Vim "efficiency gains"
d d j p

Pfft. What a load of shit. I mean seriously. Imagine you need to do something actually complicated like copy the contents of the brackets in a function declaration down 5 lines for a comment

In vim
%yib5jop

In a normal sane editor

And get this. I want to delete from my cursor position up to the semi-colon. I just found out that in vim that's dt;. Like how the fuck am I supposed to remember that? Who designed this editor? What idiot thought that dt; was a sensible acronym for delete-to-semicolon???

>gains
The only real gains are the macros you can do.
Other than that, it is basically an editor with a shit ton of hotkeys to compensate for not having a mouse.

>people still doing their hello world and fizzbuzz not seeing the advantage of an editor that can let you jump between files in projects with hundreds of files never using a mouse or file browser or being able to scan through 1000+loc code files never using a mouse wheel

>Haha yeah man, right on. Just try deleting a line and pasting it 2 lines down.
Or like pressing alt down twice?

Attached: file.png (775x79, 7K)

>Typical, modern editor
Shift + Down arrow twice

For the second one just use your mouse faggot

>Or like pressing alt down twice?
emacs pinkie

>just use your mouse faggot
No
- My hands are already on the keyboard
- Hitting a keyboard key is faster and easier and less mental effort than navigating a mouse to the exact 3 pixels required to select the right character
- Mice give you repetitive strain

You can also just use a modern text editor that's not a clunky steaming pile of shit with shitty plugin system and enable VIM mode instead.

I did this for fun

>hold down for about 0.4 seconds
>ctrl+shift+left delete
>ctrl+shift+left ctrl+f
>ctrl+g 50 enter shift+pgdown+pgdown ctrl+h
>alt+w v
>ctrl+shift+left ctrl+c ctrl+, ctrl+v
>gui menu
>gui menu
>requires an addon
>enabled by default
>ctrl+m o right
>not sure what this means, tabs are the default when you open files
>auto-complete is on by default and has syntax awareness so only things >that make sense to autocomplete do so (i.e. scope is accounted for)
>alt+enter ^.{10}

vim appears to have a major advantage on a few, but I would say the majority of cases are still pretty simple, quick and roughly as efficient as vim.

I will say that vim manages it without the bloat, so that's certainly something.

Everyone here is obssessing over retarded shit
Here is why I personally use vim and the ONLY acceptable reason its where it is today
Fuck "muh hotkeys" and "muh no mouse" and everything, forget about it, its only a mental help really
Vim is so great because when you have your 5000 LoC piece of shit program someone else wrote, and you actually need to debug it, Vim's modal editing helps you read it and keep your sanity
The way you enter commands is a natural extension of what you think.
I have never had an issue with "muh 5ms lost" (although I do admit that lifting my hand every 5 seconds to get to the mouse and find the pixel needed breaks my concentration), what I do have an issue with is that no other text editor (except evil mode on Emacs, which doesnt count since its practically bloated vim), helps me read and debug someone else's code easily
And if you work anywhere, you know that debugging some retard fuck's code is the alpha and omega of your job.

>jump between files in projects with hundreds of files never using a mouse or file browser or being able to scan through 1000+loc code files never using a mouse wheel

They all can do that nowadays. It's pretty common for editors to have fuzzy file searchers and scrolling without a mousewheel ((ctrl)page+up/page+down and goto-line)

>Vim's modal editing helps you read it and keep your sanity
>The way you enter commands is a natural extension of what you think.

Please elaborate. Since I'm still very unfamiliar with vim, I don't really get what you mean.

Small r for replace letter
Capital R for replace text continuously
w for word (hitting it moves you to the next word)
cw for change word
dw for delete word
and so on
generally, everything in vim means something (except foe hjkl which are the motions), and it comes to you easier rather than, say, Ctrl+right or whatever

Attached: shopping.jpg (200x150, 3K)

Then why are you arguing people should use vim?
Vim uses the mouse a lot more than a modern text editor.

What??

While there are many ways of doing something as simple as copy / paste in vim, the most used build on ubuntu only supports one way and that is through the mouse.
Other editors do not have this problem

Attached: 672f8f52d1af1a0152e8ad22f67889e3.jpg (853x478, 42K)

Are you actually retarded?

Either they use the mouse the same amount or vim uses it a bit more.
Yelling at modern editors for using the mouse is irrelevant.

vim can and is used without any X/Wayland, which means absolutely 0 mouse support whatsoever.

Stop posting.

HTC Aria. My first smartphone. Optical d-pad, removable battery and microsd slot. 3.2" screen. TINY device but perfectly serviceable.

Attached: HTC-Aria-10.jpg (900x601, 50K)

I don't get why people keep thinking that the advantage of using vim is less keystrokes.

Yes, in many cases you do indeed have to use less keystrokes, but that's not why vim is so fuckin' comfy. It's because the normal-mode language is (mostly) consistent and once memorized it makes editing not require breaking your concentration.

Meaning, instead of consciously controling the number of deletes or arrow key strokes to get to a place ot to select something or drag around the mouse I simply use d(elete) w(ord) and have cut the word I wanted. This results in me thinking what I want to do with the text and doing it being esentially an atomic operation that requires no conscious thought.

But many people never get to that levle of comifines, so normal mode commands don't seem that profitable for them. And if that's the case for you than you either not put enough effort/time into learning it, or you're just more suited for a simpler interaction with the editor, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Attached: let me tell you why thats bullshit.jpg (720x720, 285K)

NO NO NO NO DELETE THIS, I NEED TO LOOK LIKE A LEET HACKER BECAUSE THAT'S ALL I GOT

Why not just use middle-click to paste like a normal person?

>Have you ever programmed anything at all?
Yes. I had a config that big that it took vim a couple of seconds to start up. Most of it was one of the few actually decent looking themes, that should give you an idea what's wrong with it.
>Vim is unmatched in that respect.
Unmatched in being shitty.
>Granted, if you spend most of your time writing code and less editing it, you're better with 99% of other things
exactly
>But having done a shit ton projects in C in the past 10 years, no other editor even comes close to actually editing
[X] doubt

I've been playing with vim-sneak:

github.com/justinmk/vim-sneak

But I don't really like the s binding for a 2 char search, but I already have mapped as a prefix for a lot of commands. I'm thinking of using to do the 2 char search, but it can fuck up interaction with some modes/plugins in vim. Any suggestions?

Here is what I came up with:
nmap j SneakLabel_s
nmap k SneakLabel_S

Since I use as a prefix for a lot of things, and I instinctively associate j with down and k with up, I figured I can combine the two. Seems okay. It adds another keystroke, but it's more intuitive then s/S.

Attached: good_work.jpg (240x240, 6K)

I'm not really a Vim user so I've no idea but what's the difference between this and just typing /ea and then using n to navigate?

No, it means you have to use the mouse more you fat retard.
If you use the vim build without x suppport, the only paste you can use is middleclick (which means using the mouse).
If you build it with X support, you can paste with the keyboard (although not as efficiently, but you can).
Since the only reason to use vim is not to have X as a dependency, it makes sense that the version without X support is used a lot.
Maybe you are using the mouse as little as with modern editors, but there is no way to use it less than not at all.

In a normal editor you have a blinking cursor, you press letters, they appear at the cursor.
Have you ever been reading someone's source code trying to debug something and accidentally hit a key and had to hit ctrl Z or quit without saving to make sure you didn't modify it? That's because you're not actually writing code at the moment but that's all your editor can do.

Vim has modes. The normal mode you are in is not like that. You type things they don't appear at the cursor. Sounds silly, but it means that every single key on your keyboard in front of you is now free and open to be a keyboard shortcut. Every single one. Look down. 26 letters. 26 uppercase letters (hold shift). 10 numbers each with a symbol so 10 symbols. 8 more symbols nestled next to Enter + 8 more with shift. Another 5 symbols on the left of the keyboard including the key above tab and \ |. That's for a British keyboard, American keyboards will be similar.

All of those keys are open for new commands. With modifier keys you have even more. Every single letter does something, except g, so that's 51 commands right at your fingertips from letters alone. But g is a modifier, so g followed by a letter has just opened up another 51 commands with only 2 button presses right at your fingers.

And those are just 1 button functions. You can combine them. Sure y stands for 'yank' (copy). But what are you yanking? Yank one word with yw. Yank to the end of the line with y$ ($ is from regex so that's easy to remember). Yank the entire contents of the brackets that your cursor is somewhere in the middle of with yib (yank inside brackets). Yank 10 lines down with y10y.

Want to go forward to the start of the next word from your cursor? In vim that's 'w'. Backwards? b. Okay how about the end of the word not the beginning? e. e for end. Okay smart guy, backwards to the end of the previous word?? ge. That's literally it.

I guess the main benefit is that(if you use s/S) you are 3-4 keystrokes away from anything on the screen.

But then again it's not THAT different from /ea and then n. The main thing I get from vim-sneak is the changed behaviour of f/F where I can keep pressing f/F to go to other matches(also vertically).

Again, any modern text editor beats Vim because it provides both Vim-like keybindings/navigation/modes PLUS modern features.

Yeah I just scrolled down the readme and there's actually a point called "Why not use /?" that explains the benefits.

Most modern editors provide only the most basic of normal mode commands. And they usually don't combien well enough to make proper macros. But yeah, the basics are covered, so if you are not an advanced user that would be enough for you.

>Start new job
>"Oh cool user, you use vim? Me too! We're real programmers haha not like those emacs users XD"
>Wut, vim vs emacs is a meme that hasn't been relevant in years

>See them editing code
>They're in insert mode
>ALL OF THE TIME
>They type some text in
>They start pressing the up and left arrow while STILL IN INSERT MODE to get to the next place they want to edit code
>Start typing there too

>They use my vim setup
>Get confused because I remapped the arrow keys
>I navigate them to where they wanted to go
>They go into insert mode and then start pressing backspace to delete something that was already there
>"user what I think your vim is broken"

Attached: Doug_sad.png (300x300, 143K)

>Unmatched in being shitty.
>Yes. I had a config that big that it took vim a couple of seconds to start up.

Take a guess how I know you don't grep vim.

WTF??!
Please don't post gore horror stories

I wouldn't really say that it's very basic, both VSCode and Atom have very elaborate Vim plugins that cover a lot of functionality although I wouldn't know about macros, I've yet to take advantage of them.

Guy you're replying to here.
I don't disagree with you. The most promising part of the neovim project is that it can create a server that other editors can call and you'll have full vim within a modern editor, with full ex command support etc, not just a shitty emulation.
I was just trying to explain why you might want modal editing.

Everyone knows vim itself is quite shit, and vimscript is wank. Bram only got his ass into gear because he got scared by neovim, it was stagnating hard before that.

Yeah, I've seen this shit too many times in my career. People using vim because 1337 h4x0r while not using normal mode properly or any of the really neat features like . repeat or macros. It's really sad.

Another thing that grinds my gears is seeing people struggle with tmux(or screen) and running multiple instances of vim in separate tmux windows/tags instead of running one vim and use vim windows/buffers. I really don't get why people fall for the tmux meme.

Attached: what.gif (300x300, 1.49M)

>lol, wtf guys, why I use this and don't understand it? lol
don't use it moron. It's clearly for people who prefer keyboard over mouse.

I've tried explaining this. The response is always the same.
>But user I don't have tiiimme. I'll learn those normal mode thingies one day.
Like they think one day they'll dust off their last program, pat themselves on the back for a job well done, and then have 0 work to do and spend the day learning vim and become an expert in 1 day.

What's that thing?

Attached: Linux-Server-Distros-Featured-670x335.jpg (670x335, 58K)

>ggvGy has one extra keypress compared to ctrl+a ctrl+c, it won't kill your productivity
>if you copy files often enough for it to matter, you can just put a macro in your vimrc
>you don't need a text editor to make copies of textfiles, you can just use cp
>if you want to paste the contents of file1 into file2, you can just open file2 in vim and type :r file1

huge retard here, what do I get out of using vim instead of notepad++?

Read
It was literally already answered.

Also the rest of the thread.

Yeah, I've heard that excuse, it usually comes from people that aren't that productive to begin with.

I find that if I sit behind them and as they code tell them what to press in normal mode to achieve something they realize how much more comfy it is and after reminding them 5-10 times they remember it and start using it. But if you just tell them "oh, you could have xyz123abc to do that" they'll just ignore you.

what the fuck are you bellend mongoloids rambling on about?
ggyG does the same fucking thing and vim cand be configured to automatically copy that thing into the OS' clipboard

ggyG
go to the first line, start copying until end of file

the idea is that it's not just "ggyG", "ggyG" is part of a system that can be used efficiently to take advantage of the kb and ease the strain on your wrists and fingers

so this idea of moving around and using objects and operations of movements can be used everywhere

e.g. d% = delete everything in matching parens
f = move to the first
using ranges of lines to perform regex search & replace, using split screen, etc. all can be done efficently and it's easy to remember since there is a common idea behind all of this: movements, objects and commands, that's it, and it's much easier than moving your entire arm or wrist in a sweeping motion and trying to find the matching parens visually, or some other shit

Attached: 1521246208267.jpg (664x520, 26K)

Considering you're a retard, probably nothing.

That really drives me up the fucking wall. How the hell did I learn all those things? Am I a magical being, different in some essential way? Do I live in another timestream with more hours in the day?
People are lazy and should be whipped into shape

I've been using vim plugins and command modes for some time, and i think i got pretty efficient in it.

The one modern feature i can't replicate and give up is Intelisense / QtCreator suggestions, and thats why i use Vs Code / Qt Creator instead of vim. Any tips on how to configure omni completion to work as efficently / work at all? (always suggest, some shorcut to display function signatures etc)

Also any good tutotrial how to use buffers efficently?

set clipboard=unnamedplus

Sure, I'll fill that column. I use sublime text.
>how do you move the cursor down by 7 lines
I bet there's a shortcut I didn't know of, but I usually just use PgUp/PgDown and arrow keys. You can also go to specific lines.
>how do you delete a word?
ctrl + del or backspace, works on any application lol
>how do you search the current file for the current word that the cursor is at?
just select it and ctrl + f
>how to find and replace only in lines 50-100?
it's not a huge amount of lines so really you just ctrl+d a few times, that ironically is faster instead of typing so much for a single command
>how to view two different parts of the same file simultaneously?
layouts/groups which all have shortcuts
>the cursor is at a file name, how to jump to that file?
You can use ctrl + p and type it in, or even better you can select a class' name and go to its definition with F12
>switch to a better theme?
sublime comes with a few ones but you can install new ones if you want to. but the default is beautiful
>how to map ctrl-s to save the file?
it just werks, no need to map anything
>how to save the current files & settings?
settings are stored per user, there are projects/workspaces which are really comfy
>how to see colors for different parts of your code?
works out of the box
>how to hide different parts of the file?
you can hide blocks of code with your mouse, don't know how to do it with the keyboard
>tabs?
works out of the box
>autocompletion
works out of the box

cant't read the last one
sublime is the best editor

I fucked up the order of the letters and entered visual mode because I forgot that y can be used to copy the next word/line/whatever.

select parens and its contents and copy y%
remove X lines: y3
move exactly to line X and find a symbol: :2f
delete everything after cursor, in line: d$
delete entire contents of file: ggdG
run compiler / interpreter from within vim: ":!scala fap.scala"

>oh no, it makes sense? it's all about motions and objects???????? don't tell me since it all makes sense, commands like "ggyG" that appear difficult at first sight are actually easy! you're lying! I blame the jews

It took me some time to learn, and now i'm semi efficent, and i think the secret is i am really fucking lazy. I was fucking done and tired of pressing ctrl shift home end arrows ten billion times, not to mention i was tired of moving my hands around any time i wanted to do something slightly complicated.

continued:

and best of all, you don't even need shitloads of plugins, and everyhing loads instantly

in some situations, vim is better than an IDE, and its text editing tools are simply efficient as fuck once you bother learning them

but same goes for everything worthwile in life: math looks like chinese for some people, but it makes sense, and it's not that absurd or difficult

You are just as likely to accidentally edit a document in normal mode in vim as you are in any other editor that only have insert mode.
With vim, you are just more likely to do the wrong thing.
A simple example is when you paste some text into vim. If you make the mistake and do this from normal mode, there is no telling what will happen as all letters that doesn't switch to insert mode will modify the document.
Editing a document is what text editors do.

With a modern IDE, you usually don't use the keyboard to read through the code.
You scroll through the code, hover over functions to see the documentation, click on functions to go to the implementation.
You write down your notes on a piece of paper or in a separate document, barely need a keyboard at all.

I know it must be bait but I need to answer, because you triggered my autism

There are numerous ways to "paste" into vim.
* go into insert mode and paste with mouse
* use paste from system clipboard register("+p)
* paste by tmux(go to insert mode and ^Bp)
* write a script utilizing xclipboard and use it from vim
* map this script to some key combination in vim

>You are just as likely to accidentally edit a document in normal mode in vim as you are in any other editor that only have insert mode.
Undo key.

>A simple example is when you paste some text into vim. If you make the mistake and do this from normal mode,
Undo key.

>Been reading several minutes
>"Crap did I accidentally just press something instead of scroll down"
>"Crap did I accidentally just middle click paste instead of scroll down?"
>Press u
>"1 change 5 seconds ago"
>Cursor moves to the change
>"Yes that was an accident"
>Press u again
>"1 change 12 minutes ago"
>"Okay that was legit the last thing I did, better redo that".

That was hard.

I know you can undo most actions in vim.
My point is you are just as likely to need to undo an action in vim as any other editor, arguing over that is pointless.
You probably assume that I don't use vim just because I criticize vim.

just get visual studio code

v G yy

source $VIMRUNTIME/mswin.vim
there, now vim behaves more like how you're used to.

Vim is a meme made by Sup Forums to sabotage other competitor programmers. While you guys are wasting your time learning vim itself, the memers are learning new technologies to get new, better jobs than you.

I was this way when I first started using vim.
>Arrow keys
>A few weeks later, i h j k l
>A few weeks later, w b / n N x
>A few weeks later, A I
>A few weeks later, y p gg G dd D
>q a P f t " v V c etc
Literally never learning is a sign of something going wrong. But vim has a lot of commands, and it's more natural and easy to learn a few, get fluent in them, and then learn some more.

>arguing with a fucking britbong
please don't

> hover over functions to see the documentation,
VS Code fag detected

>just select it
>>the cursor is at a file name, how to jump to that file?
>You can use ctrl + p and type it in, or even better you can select a class' name and go to its definition with F12
>>how to hide different parts of the file?
>you can hide blocks of code with your mouse

To quote an old classic

Regexing with several editors:
acme:
>Oh, I want to execute a regular expression on my text here.
>Here I go.
>I take my mouse hand off my keys.
>I move my mouse hand to my mouse
>I grip the mouse with my mouse hand
>I move the mouse to the tag strip on top of the editing buffer
>I click the tag strip
>I release the mouse
>I move my mouse hand to the keys
>I write the regex
>I take my mouse hand off the keys
>I move my mouse hand to my mouse
>I grip the mouse and press da butans
>I drag the mouse over the regex to highlight it
>I release da butans
>I watch as my regex hopefully does what it needs to do on the first try.
>I move the mouse to the editing buffer to continue inputting text
>I release the mouse
>I move my mouse hand to the keys
>I FINALLY start typing again.

Emacs:
>press both foot pedals
>press meta shift control sysrq
>play the moonlight sonata on the two extra keyboards while requesting Regex-Mode with the headstick.
>hit the electric cymbals strapped under my arm and while putting the shift-stick I have gripped tightly with my sphincter into turbo mode.
>signal my two assistants to turn their keys in unison, NOW!
>input the regex
>release all keys and watch as emacs gracefully rearranges the text

vim:
>escape or equivalent
>:%s/foo/bar/g
>enter
>continue editing

Pretty much this. I have to use vi regularly for ops, but doing normal work with it is a total shitshow. Everyone in the office who does that is a sperg that nobody likes and spends more time trying to be "efficient," and "ergonomic," than they do actually getting shit done.
>inb4 some savant-tier vim wizard webm
Yeah great. I'm sure you're a wizard and you write clean code while providing effective and innovative solutions that get you paid well. If you are good for you, but 99% of those I've met should not be wasting their time trying to make vim their first tool of choice.

Never learning is a sign of not trying or using it. There are just two kinds of vim users. One heard the meme or had an old timer tell them to use it. They went and got a cheat sheet and used it for a week and gave up. They still use it on occasion to "try and get better," but they always quit after a week or less.

The second kind is the actual vim user. They were, by force of necessity or sheer willpower, able to sit down and grok vim over many months of regular use. For me it was being poor and owning a potato laptop so shitty that any modern editor was unusable. For others it was having mentors who really pressured them not to waver and go back to the padded comfort of other editors.

In any case, the hard work pays off in the long run. No, you don't become a top flight developer just by mastery of vim, but it does provide you the ability to master new concepts more effectively.

In my opinion there is nothing better than vim and most highly effective developers tend to agree.

How do you even go about getting these riced out vim configs

Attached: cybergang.jpg (500x343, 36K)

You collect them like a pokemon trainer collects pokemon during his long jurney.

Choice of editor doesn't matter much once you graduate from basic bitch editors like gedit or Notepad++ or nano or whatever. Vim, Emacs, Sublime Text among others are plenty productive.

I didn't find vim that hard to learn. I picked it up about a year ago and got fluent enough to rely on it on a daily basis with in a few weeks.

I went through the vim tutor and used the intellij vim plugin and made some legacy short cuts like ctrl x,z,a etc and gradually switched to the vim versions and eventually stopped using a mouse and arrow keys all together.

>neet hobbyists who think moving around code faster matters in the long run

i know how to trigger you user...
I use the pause key to multitask

Attached: tumblr_nlf9lu3leJ1u75st9o1_1280[1].png (556x394, 196K)

Try Vim with a non-QWERTY layout, it's awful and even more unusable.

>Just try deleting a line and pasting it 2 lines down.
Grab mouse, select, hold and move the text, voila.

Remembering %yib5jop takes more mental effort than grabbing the mouse 4 cm on your right

>just use your mouse faggot
No u

Some of us have mental capacity to spare

When I write, I am thinking about what I'm writing, not what convoluted letters I need to type to erase a sentence.

the only thing that kills me about using acme is no arrowkey up/down for cursor movement, which lets me be sloppier with mouse clicks
and mouse transitions don't actually take nearly as long as you'd expect (no seriously, literally time yourself -- and they're even faster if you're on a laptop because it's right underneath your hand)
oh, and the separate paste buffer from rio pisses me off, but there was a reason (editing remotely over a slow connection)

the plan 9 highly mouse oriented way is honestly not that bad

this is a good post about the benefits of vim
really, it turns editing into a language, and it's a fairly expressive one

vim is just a symptom of the terminal mode disease

>tmux(or screen) and running multiple instances of vim in separate tmux windows/tags instead of running one vim and use vim windows/buffers.
I do this. Never learned how to use vim windows/buffers, but also I often am displaying lists (that I often edit, so I don't use less) that I like to have shown at the same time. I do sometimes wonder if I'm using tmux too much. I also use i3wm, but mainly I work from two or three tmux windows running on different machines. It almost feels like a waste of i3's tiling, but tmux is really comfy. I can check my irc from my phone since it runs in irc. Same with finch, my todo lists, etc.

Install emacs

>delete everything after cursor, in line: d$
Why not just: D

>When I write, I am thinking about what I'm writing, not what convoluted letters I need to type to erase a sentence.
Do you also think about what buttons you have to press to longjump in Mario 64? When you get used to vim, you don't think about what keys you need to press, you just start inputting the commands to do what you want without consciously thinking about it. Vim turns your keyboard into a videogame for text-editing, and people get really really good at this game with sufficient practice.

How do I delete a paragraph in vim?

Apparently "daw" will delete the current word but how do I delete everything between the previous and next whitespace-only-line?

Every answer I've found just says "go to the beginning of the paragraph and select all the text until the end" which doesn't sound like the best way to do it.

>copy all text in kekoune:
% y

kakoune.org/

Attached: kakoune_logo_full.png (262x262, 38K)

this seems much better

no, it doesn't, holy shit is that wrong

More efficient to :r file into you current file than copy and paste like a guikid.

> How do I delete a paragraph in vim?

> ap a paragraph (with white space) |v_ap|
> ip inner paragraph |v_ip|
vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/visual.html#visual-operators
Can you figure it out now?