If you had to decide between keyword-based block syntax or indentation based one, which would you decide for?

If you had to decide between keyword-based block syntax or indentation based one, which would you decide for?
Bonus: Have a good reason.

>inb4 can't read/write x as fast/muh editor/copy paste breaks things
These are non-issues if you aren't a brainlet.
>inb4 I want muh brackets/braces/parentheses
Not an option here. There is no reason to use them unless you have some weird fetish for stripping whitespaces, in which case you would need to have $names.

Attached: syntacticionieara.png (365x285, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/munificent/wren
github.com/munificent/wren/blob/master/src/vm/wren_compiler.c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Indentation. I use indentation to understand the flow control of a program in less than 1". With an indentation language indentation of code I'm looking at is always correct. With other languages I have to reinvent code of others because indentation is often misleading.

Is it a good reason?

Blocks need to end otherwise it gets real annoying when you have several block levels and hundreds of lines of code, you try to write something on 2nd block but you're currently on like 6th and you have to count spaces or whatever to get to proper positioning. It's super annoying and why I don't do big projects in Python

Python was a huge mistake. The autoformatter should be doing the indenting, not the programmer. It still has this retarded thing where you have to put things in parenthesis if you want to span multiple lines.

Not sure, but it actually sounds like you should lern2autoformat.

Why don't you activate the visual arrow/block marks hints?

>if you want to span multiple lines.
Which you normally shouldn't. Have a good, valid example for this? Hope it's not some aligned matrices or shit.

>Not sure, but it actually sounds like you should lern2autoformat.
I can, but I won't submit a reformat only commit. It's pointless.

>keyword-based block syntax
Those should always be a single character, not a keyword.
Indentation based blocks are neat because both the computer and the human use them.
Otherwise you need a keyword/character for the computer and indentation for the human, it's retarded.

>you're currently on like 6th
Sounds like you have much bigger problems than the way your programming language denotes blocks.

Have you never actually written real code in your life?
Or are you one of those retards who names every variable a, b, c, or x, y, and z?

>Why don't you activate the visual arrow/block marks hints?
I guess that would make it easier. Thanks for the tip

>I can, but I won't submit a reformat only commit. It's pointless.
You always should do that before working on the file.

>Those should always be a single character, not a keyword.
For what hopefully good reason? See the OP.
>Otherwise you need a keyword/character for the computer and indentation for the human, it's retarded.
see
>but it actually sounds like you should lern2autoformat.

results so far: nothing but inane comments

>Have you never actually written real code in your life?
Yes, that is why I'm giving you this answer.
>Or are you one of those retards who names every variable a, b, c, or x, y, and z?
No, I bet you are. If you need carefully crafted ASCII art you have no place in programming.

Point me to a codebase you would consider "quality" code then retard.

>For what hopefully good reason
Much easier to spot when most of other things are also words. Mostly personal preference I guess.

>you should lern2autoformat
After autoformat you still have dual block notation, what's your point?

Unironically this github.com/munificent/wren one, despite the walls of comments.

>After autoformat you still have dual block notation, what's your point?
It shows the same thing then, what's your point?
I hope this is not some autism thing where you want them to be one thing for the sake of being one thing.

To clarify, this is good code beyond me not prefering the syntax, the code & comment style.

>you want them to be one thing for the sake of being one thing
That's exactly what I said in I wasn't saying that they would get out of sync.

Why do you want them to be two things when one thing suffices?
Programming languages started using keywords for blocks only because indentation is annoying to parse.

Just opened a random file and already found tons of examples where expressions spanned multiple lines. Nice try.
github.com/munificent/wren/blob/master/src/vm/wren_compiler.c

>inb4 can't read/write x as fast/muh editor/copy paste breaks things

Attached: 1520204976292.png (769x733, 60K)

read this retard

>Why do you want them to be two things when one thing suffices?
I don't. It's just not a good argument pro/contra those. ITT I unironically want good arguments.

stop being a brainlet and lern your tools

Imaging having so shit language that you must reformat the code before you work so other people's code wouldn't break

>reformating the code
>this fixes the syntax
What did he mean by this.

>to clarify, this is good code despite me not preferring the code
Nice goalposts.
Ok show me an example of good code in which you are satisfied with the style.

>What did he mean by this.
Bydlon

Literally not possible, because I don't deal with short shitscripts that those languages are typically are used for in my free time.

How about you don't fuck up copy and pasting in the first place.

keyword

So you only write x86 assembly by hand? No wonder you never have the need for statements that span multiple lines. Fucking retard.

It's called not being a legasthenic reading-crippled fuck, user.

>I unironically want good arguments

For characters/keywords
>doesn't break when you copy-paste code in shit editors
>in some cases it lets you write code that might look a little bit better when everything is stuffed into one line

For indentation
>only one thing
>simply indent code to create a new block, no need to fix braces or whatever in shit editors

That's all I can think of. You picked the wrong topic if you wanted "good" arguments.

Wow big words. That sure proves your point. I hope your mommy makes those tendies extra crispy today.

>You picked the wrong topic if you wanted "good" arguments.
Sounds like the best I'm gonna get here.
Scathing retort, user.

You still haven't shown an example of a codebase that has no need for multi line statements.

Why would I? Open GitHub, pick one random thing that has good code and no multi-line statements. There is no need for such thing because

>what do you mean Bigfoot doesn't exist! Just go to any random forest and you'll find one!