Underappreciation

Underappreciation

Attached: windows-8-1.jpg (700x500, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

adamralph.com/2014/01/24/continuously-losing-internet-connectivity-in-windows-8-1/
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2018/03/06/debian-gnulinux-for-wsl-now-available-in-the-windows-store/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I agree. But, I don't know what else to say.

Honestly the only people i know who hated 8.1 were people who don't use keyboard shortcuts to navigate the desktop and rely on point-and-click for everything. Those that used the new context menu's and shortcuts actually liked a lot of it's changes, it made a whole bunch of stuff quicker by using the run-dialog less.

Yeah it's a shame that plebs complained and got all the good parts removed. The Start screen was objectively better than what we had before and what we have now, displaying more programs and allowing you to sort your programs by several parameters, but the plebs didn't like that it was different so they killed it. Never mind that you could always just add a toolbar pointing to your Start menu folder to your taskbar if you enjoy sorting through readmes and product registration shortcuts nested several levels deep like it's 1995.
Automatic Maintenance meant that Windows was smarter about using resources and would never bother you about updates while you were using it or slow down to a crawl doing disk intensive tasks like indexing, defrag, and telemetry. But the plebs didn't like that it was waking their computer while they were away and "losing their work" (never mind the fact that you can easily disable Automatic Maintenance and that any software worth its salt should never lose your work anyway), so they crippled it in Windows 10 so now every task runs while you're trying to use the computer (boy I sure do hope you're not still using a slow spinning hard disk in 201X), and you get pestered about restarting.

Attached: Apps by most used.jpg (1920x1200, 886K)

The native .iso mounting is fucking nice

There is one thing I wish they allowed on Windows 8.1: Use 2 legacy programs side by side the same way apps worked: fullscreen, no taskbars, no title bars.

Attached: Split-view.png (1024x576, 457K)

This.

Vista was hated because it released to soon and the hardware wasn't ready for it. The actual OS was quite good. Its not much different than Windows 7.

Windows 8 was shitty, but many things improved with 8.1. I still use it and it looks and works better when Windows 10. Leaving away the telemetry, many drivers for printers and other devices don't work with 10, while 8.1 can use Vista drivers and playback old and new programs. It is less hardware demanding than Windows 7 and works fluent even with 2 GB of RAM. Windows 10 shutters extremly when running on outdated hardware, like Phenom I.

Attached: 8.1.jpg (3840x2160, 494K)

The start menu button on taskbar is fucking useless tho. I hate the fact that they added it back just because some people can't live without it.

This but unironically

>Windows 8 was shitty
What was shitty about it again? It runs under 1GB on idle, from my experience.

Deprecated trash.

You are trash,yes.

I used 8.1 for years and had nothing but bad experiences from it. In fact, my experiences were so bad I went straight from 8.1 to linux when win 10 came out. I'm not complaining about UI changes either, I had a classic shell to imitate the start menu (although the multiple control panels still seems silly as fuck looking back). My experience was just very buggy, and reinstalling wouldn't fix. My internet would randomly drop 20-30 times a day (yes I am sure the OS was doing this, my internet never dropped on 7 and would not drop when booting into live USB's), it would constantly "forget" changes I made to it and revert back to defaults. I would disable the start menu ads for games and a week later they would come back. I felt like I was in a constant battle for control over my OS, and finally switched to linux and have not had a complaint yet.

Attached: 9a2ecbc43faebe297c0826d3d300b6c1487d6c054fdf8314ba87e53f425edb76.jpg (720x718, 56K)

I don't even know how you got so unlucky. In the last 3-4 years I haven't had such issues with windows 8.1. In fact the only time at which I had an unstable experience with 8.1 was when I decided to integrate some updates to avoid having to install them later.

Whatever you say, Winbabby.

adamralph.com/2014/01/24/continuously-losing-internet-connectivity-in-windows-8-1/
I researched the problem and it seems lots were experiencing this after upgrading. Sadly, none of the fixes in any articles I read worked for me so I decided to jump ship altogether.

VIsta Windows was best Windows

I wish it had the snapping and dism features from windows 7. Basically win7 with a vista aesthetic is perfect.

and yet 8.1 did more in its short life than Linux ever accomplished in 30 years.

It's a driver issues, majority happened on laptop with Qualcomm wireless cards. Mine have issues says no internet/connectivity or what you call it dropped internet. A lot users are upset with it there's plenty on windows forum with different model from dell lenovo asus hp (almost every laptop out there) all of the have qualcomm wireless/wifi..

I guess that explains why no matter what I did the problem persisted. And why my friends using it on desktop never had complaints.

Attached: d25bb152882316cf4d9d4ac0b51ca518343eca143675cac15683fdb122b262ce.png (616x607, 244K)

8.1 is my favorite windows to date. No one understands me.

I understand you user. Windows 8.1 on PC and Windows Phone 8.1... Oh god I miss it so much.

Am I the only one who preferred windows 8 a lot more to 8.1

Attached: 1514464720751.jpg (714x750, 280K)

I'm in the same boat with you

>OS called windows
>try to force full sceen wherever possible
I could never get used to that shit and didn't feel like upgrading because win7 is much more comfy anyway

8.1 + ClassicShell , the last good Windows OS, such a shame

No comfy Redmond theme though.

I miss that start menu, so futuristic. Windows 10 is alright though imo, haven't had much problem with it. Windows 7 is the one that gave me a fuckload of problems.

win8.1 + start8 is the way to go

Attached: dt.png (1920x1080, 333K)

I've been using 8.1 for 4 years now and it's been really good. I do have classic shell and sometimes you have to go into metro UI to activate something but overall it's a pretty good OS.

>ruining 8.1 with classicshell
i never understood this. why are people so resistant to change that they dislike improvements?
just use win 10 at this point. they added telemetry to 7 and 8.1 anyway and 10 has better native apps, a more consistent GUI, more options, etc

this is a shill thread by m$ to get niggas to upgrade to .1 so they get the same telemetry shit as 10
the only feature that 8 had that was nice was having the metro skype on a re-sizable sidepanel without covering your desktop, once they killed that version of skype the metro interface died (at least to me, nothing that uses it even starts on my pc)

>just use win 10 at this point
Just use Linux at this point.

pic related

>tfw cant find a decent pic that doesnt have pajeets on it
it hurts

Attached: Skype-Sidebar.png (1366x768, 1.2M)

you can uninstall telemetry shit on 8.1 and 7, it's just a bunch of updates that you can easily delete

Exactly what I keep saying about 8.1.
The full screen menu was objectively better since tablet users would have the perfect interface and power users would just use shortcuts and search (which was really powerful).

>using an os that will soon be owned by microsoft to avoid microsoft

Linux is a kernel

Windows 8 is nice, I enjoyed not having the start button anymore. Sucks that Microsoft pretty much ghosted Windows 8 and its hard to find an iso without downloading off random sites.

Only thing I dislike about 8 and 8.1 is accidently opening PC settings and how despite 'closing' it, it stays open in the background.

blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2018/03/06/debian-gnulinux-for-wsl-now-available-in-the-windows-store/
EEE

give me one reason why windows 8.1 is better than windows 7