/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Attached: ayX08Yb_700b.jpg (700x452, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

manual.calibre-ebook.com/server.html#accessing-the-server-from-anywhere-on-the-internet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
localhost/
aliexpress.com/item/USB-3-0-To-SATA-IDE-Adapter-Hard-Drive-Converter-for-Universal-2-5-3-5/32848643658.html
aliexpress.com/item/AT-Sata-to-IDE-Adapter-Converter-1-5Gbs-2-5-Sata-Female-to-3-5-inch/32823861195.html
gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29
nordvpn.com/
duckduckgo.com/?q=seedbox
aliexpress.com/item/New-USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-Converter-Adapter-Cable-for-2-5-3-5/32713285303.html
amazon.com/StarTech-com-LP4SATAFM12-12-Inch-Molex-Adapter/dp/B00GK8SYCW
ebay.com/bhp/ide-dock
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-10-ltsb-2016-iso.74013/page-2#post-1362825
aliexpress.com/item/15-Pin-SATA-Male-to-Molex-IDE-4-Pin-Female-Adapter-Extension-Power-Cable/32245871900.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is the point of Ko-fi?

a clever way of getting people to donate, because saying it's a coffee for some reason makes it easier to pay, rather than just giving money to someone

So there's literally no advantage to using it over straight paypal?

pretty sure you need a paypal to use ko-fi

I know. I'm saying I don't see why ko-fi exists, when it is apparently nothing more than a skin for paypal.

oh, yeah, it's literally just the button, ko-fi is the nothing more than the donate button you press, but it probably exists because that button is more enticing than the paypal symbol

Thats...retarded. You're giving access to your money and information to an extra party solely in the hopes of people clicking a button that requires paypal, instead of just using the paypal button in the first place? That's the dumbest thing I've heard all week.

Attached: 1500143909625.jpg (281x440, 17K)

How's huawei as a brand? I bought a MateBook X as a travel laptop, and I really like it. Considering getting a mate phone too.

Also, is the trend of phones removing headphone jacks gonna keep up? It's one of the reasons my iPhone 6 is gonna be my last apple product, but I just ready the pixel 2 did this too. Should i get used to the idea of Bluetooth earbuds?

What's the difference between gnome, unity and gtk desktops?

Help a pleb understand ubuntu

It exists to collect your information and skim a small amount off of the money you send.

Different styles of desktop. Try them all and see what you prefer.

GNOME 3 is focused on touch screens and multiple desktops.
KDE is focused on being full-featured and pretty and looks more like a Windows desktop.
MATE and Cinnamon are derivatives of GNOME 2, each with their own design goals.
XFCE and LXDE focus on the linux philosophy of minimalism and are bare-bones with high customizability.
Unity is a weird bastardization of GNOME created for and by the Ubuntu team.

GTK and QT are GUI libraries used in specific applications.

If you want something familiar and easy to use like Windows, I'd recommend KDE. If you want something like MacOS, I'd recommend GNOME.

Thanks m8

Do all modern motherboards have a slot NVME SSDs? If not, how do I tell in the specs sheet if it does?

my work has a private VPN (using our work credentials)

i never tried connecting to it from my pc until yesterday, but i tried and failed. i tried to ping it and it times out. does that indicate it being offline or is it possible for it to timeout ping requests but actually be up?

How can I manage my ebook library on my NAS?

I've got a 3TB My Cloud Home, with a few hundred ebooks and thousands of comics on it. It's a stock WDMyCloud that currently has over 2TB of content on it, so I can't wipe it and install FreeNas kr anything like that on it. I connect to it via mapping a network drive through Windows Explorer and use it like any other folder on Windows.

I would like to get Calibre working on it so I can read my ebooks on my Nexus6P and my Lenovo Tab 2A10.

I currently use Google Play Books and like how that syncs up with everything but lacks proper sorting by series or author. When I want to read comics I move the ones I want to an SD card from WDMyCloud and use Perfectviewer. I don't mind doing that for comics since most of the time I'm reading comics I don't have an internet connection but I would love to use Calibre or another program to browse current ebooks and download them to my tablet or phone and read then offline. Is that a pipe dream or should I just use my method for comics books, for ebooks?

The big thing is that I need something I can browse all my ebooks and only download what I want to read for the next week or so on my device. I don't mind moving ebooks from Cloud to my tablet with an SD card if it comes to it.

Thanks -

PLEASE respond.

Assuming one commissions a custom Mobo (ie normal shit but like a shit load of PC+e x16 slots) what is realistically the highest number of gpus one could put in a system

Clearly something like 16 titans in 1 board is a huge deal for power consumption but is there any reason we can't make this happen outside of money required to do so. I know boards need a power supply going through it to power the pci ports (because the 750ti doesn't need anything else) but external power can cover gpus.

The thought I had was
>is there anything stopping me from having a 16-way sli system other than the mobos sockets
>I bet I can find a Mobo manufacturer that would do this

Goal is not to use server parts

So after the big win10 update last autumn something became fucked up with my laptops HDMI port and it will randomly just flat out stop functioning.
Tried:
Drivers both from intel and laptop manufacturer
Computer restart
Messing with windows and intel display settings but it refuses to detect anything connected to the HDMI port.
If i leave it and try it again a day or two later it just magically works again (and then it randomly stops working again). Its not the monitor or TV that is the problem. It is the laptop ever since that fucking windows update. Never had an issue before it.

How do you keep track of all your passwords?

Sounds like your router is taking a dump when too many connections. My old one would do the same when seeding torrents at max speed.

Does speedtest on your wireless devices cause the same issue?

KeePass

Where do I download Windows 10 Enterprise? Apparently you're not supposed to download the ISO from Microsoft's website because it's evaluation?

A .txt file on my HDD.

Pretty retarded I know

I'm not sure if this is what you'd want, but you can set up a calibre server (by clicking connect/share in calibre), then access your library with a calibre app. (I use calibre companion because it's ultra easy)

Pretty sure you can broadcast it across the web as well, with password security, though I've never tried it.

Speedtest on my wireless devices does not cause this issue. The internet works exactly as it should on any other device, wired or wireless. Only on my desktop does it have problems..

a small moleskine that i keep in a hidden slot in my desk, death note style (minus the combustion contraption)

Is the cable fully plugged in? Another possible cause

anyone

Does anyone else feel out of place at work? I'm a software developer with about a years experience and constantly feel like I don't deserve to be there. I'm surrounded by people I consider to be experts on all kinds of technology fields and whenever I sit in on meetings I struggle to keep up with them. All I do is study in my free time now to try and get on their level. Does this feeling ever go away?

Can I run new versions of Chromium on Windows XP? If yes - what I've to do?

It indeed is. It's not a coincidence the only time the internet goes out is when I do something demanding with the DL speed.

I'll give that a try.

Right now I just have Calibre installed on my WDMyCloud like it would be installed on my PC, so nothing special about it. I didn't know if I could still "broadcast" if it was installed that way.

Why not talk with your boss about it? Get some reassurance

>have 18GB RAM
>fresh install of windows defaulted to 18-24GB page file

It doesn't really need to be THAT big, right? I have a feeling my HDD is causing it to be more of a hinderance than anything.

you should be able to

manual.calibre-ebook.com/server.html#accessing-the-server-from-anywhere-on-the-internet

yeah, and honestly that's a good place to be in.
soon enough you'll be doing things you could do blindfolded and it becomes monotonous. that's no fun.

manually configure it smaller and disable hibernation. you won't use it much but you still should have it

it's possible to configure a firewall to reject pings but not other packets. it's also possible that the VPN server is up but only responds to IPs it knows about, that's a common security measure.

Theres exactly one thing that needs that much swap, namely hibernation. Hibernation works by writing out all of memory to the pagefile and then shutting down, and reading it back in when you restart. If you don't care about hibernating you can cut that down to like a gigabyte or so.

Sup Forums X only updates active tab, what to do?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
It happens to everyone user, you're smarter than you think.

Is the GTX 1070TI worth buying if I'm not a super hardcore gaming person, or can I grab the 8gb 1060 and call it good?

install Gentoo

I would wait a couple of weeks, nvidia should be announcing the 20xx series or even releasing it at the end of the month

just get the 1060

What kind of games do you want to play, and do you plan on playing at 1440p?
Do graphics cards really get released that soon after being announced?

so did we ever find out what the botnet on this board is doing? (amgload, pigquiqproxy, smcheck)

Attached: sakurakarin.png (451x619, 392K)

I just bought a 1920x1080, so no 1440 for me. I suppose I would like to be able to play Arma 3, and Vermintide 2 if possible. My current PC plays everything I own pretty decently, but I have money that has to be spent soon, so I figured I should build a new one.

How do I find out what's using port 80? Going to localhost/ just returns error 500

Attached: file.png (475x161, 9K)

Roughly 9/10 times when booting my PC, the CPU fan doesn't spin up, and I get the BIOS cpu fan error. I've checked that all headers and everything are snug and the it seems the CPU fan randomly decides to spin up 10% of the time.

What's the correct approach to debug this and figure out where the fault is? My motherboard is the Asus H87i-plus (out of warranty) and CPU fan is the Noctua L9i (still have 3 years warranty left). Will Noctua send me a new fan if I ask or make me prove the fan is defective somehow?

netstat -abn as admin (-b give you process info)

I want to share my folder via smb on windows but I have a local account without a pass. how can I share my folder using a password if my account is local and unprotected?

Attached: 1513303546845.gif (500x411, 1.34M)

Disable it. It's 2018, only legacy programs crashed without a pagefile (and only a handful). And you have 18GB (the fuck).

[svchost.exe]
TCP [::]:80 [::]:0 LISTENING
Can not obtain ownership information
TCP [::]:135 [::]:0 LISTENING

What now?

So I got sick of my Hackintosh and deleted its partition in Windows, and I guess I can't get the disk space back unless I format the entire drive and do it all over again? Would nuking the drive, installing Windows and then recovering this one partition with Acronis allow me to expand the volume? I'm just not entirely sure if Acronis will put the partition back at #3 or not.

Attached: Capture_2018-03-17_14-07-39.png (1205x242, 21K)

>(the fuck)
Triple channel. 3x4GB + 3x2GB

The 1060 6gb should be enough for you in that case.

I can't connect to my Calibre server thing using my actual IP. I can connect to it fine using localIP, but even after forwarding the 8080 port for my Cloud, Chrome "refuses to connect".

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

so I have an openvpn server and client setup. What do I need to do to access the server network share from the client?

What's the best way to run macos in a VM on linux? I tried virtualbox but I got dropped into a uefi shell and it appears they might not support it.

Try gparted live, though it will probably make windows fail to boot after you move and resize the partition. You can fix this through bcdedit if you have a copy of the windows cd/usb you can boot into.

Can someone tell me why my internet dies after plugging an ethernet cable from my computer to my modem?

It was running fine until it stopped one day, now only wireless works and it runs like shit, barely better than dial up.

I've done
>ipconfig /flushdns
>ipconfig /release
>ipconfig /renew

nothing changes, please help

i got it. I wasnt using the VPNs ip

EaseUS partition master can expand it for you.

You can't. You can share it without a password, or you can set one for your local account.

What do I need to connect an old IDE drive (like pic related) to my computer via USB? I have a USB to SATA adapter, but I can't seem to find any IDE male to SATA female adapters, only the other way around.

Attached: ST3750640A_1000-3.jpg (1000x752, 101K)

Any prepaid phone with minutes that dont expire?

how much would you pay for a 290X and 7970?

So Im running a script constantly on my computer, it's really small but executes something every 1 second in a while loop, is there a way of it not filling up my process-id's into the 100.000's?

yeah, make it quit before you it again you dumb fuck

No no I don't mean that, I don't have 100.000s processes active, but the ID's keep counting up. So I have atm about 110 processes active, but the latest processID is like 100.000 because of there being so many before it because of the loop.

so... dont make it quit after each run?

Its an OCD thing, try it out
while true; do
sleep 0.001;
done

let that run and see your id's explode

I would use this if you want to hook it up regularly
aliexpress.com/item/USB-3-0-To-SATA-IDE-Adapter-Hard-Drive-Converter-for-Universal-2-5-3-5/32848643658.html

or use an ide -> sata adapter in conjunction with your usb to sata adapter to save a few bucks. Probably better if you just want to save the data and toss the disk.

aliexpress.com/item/AT-Sata-to-IDE-Adapter-Converter-1-5Gbs-2-5-Sata-Female-to-3-5-inch/32823861195.html

Linux newbie here, how do I get such a cool on-screen console like Luke. I tried to google it but didn't know what term to use.

Attached: 範囲を選択_005.png (846x434, 294K)

That second link isn't the correct adapter though, right? Even though it says on the page that it's SATA female to IDE male, it's clearly not. The IDE port is female just like the one on the hard drive and the SATA port is male just like my USB to SATA adapter.

Which of these features do you guys think is really CPU intensive?

Attached: 1505172207095.jpg (1423x789, 239K)

Where do I get, and how do I use, a VPN?

Depends on what you need to do. Most people don't have a good reason for one

gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29

But if I torrent something without a VPN, won't my ISP notice and tell me to fuck off?

nordvpn.com/
They have it discounted right now and NordVPN is the best VPN provider out there. They provide detailed manuals on how to install it under download section and the utility for windows, mac OS and mobile is super easy to use and install.

go to the linux thread

torrenting is not illegal and if your ISP actually gives a fuck about it you should switch to one that values net neutrality, faggot

Depends on your country and ISP. Mostly they're impotent, and they don't really want to jeopardize their business anyway. If that's all you need you can use a seedbox anyway.

It's hard to do that when there is a fucking monopoly in the area.
>seedbox
What is this?

stop living in a fucking 3rd world country then

USA isn't a third world country.
O B S E S S E D

How is the obsessed meme applicable if he didn't even say the country you were in?

duckduckgo.com/?q=seedbox

uhu, i guess that's why you have corruption out the ass, corporate bailouts, market monopolies with zero competition despite trying to have a "free market", almost non-existant mental healthcare, and only good healthcare for the wealthy, no social security net, insurance companies ripping people off by denying coverage, pensioners having to pack grocery bags to survive, people having to work multiple jobs, fuckhuge amount of homeless people, trailer parks, ghettos, etc. etc.

want me to go on?

Attached: 1492262039003.png (780x779, 865K)

tl;dr how do i easily add more swap memory to ubuntu
i recently installed lubuntu to a hard drive, then i decided to switch to ubuntu so i deleted the ext4 partition with gparted but left the 8 gb swap partition alone, installed ubuntu on the free space, but for some reason htop can only find 2 gb of swap space, so i installed gparted on ubuntu and the 8 gb swap file is still there, and vmware workstation is complaining that i should have more swap space. how do i add more swap space?

aliexpress.com/item/New-USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-Converter-Adapter-Cable-for-2-5-3-5/32713285303.html
So I just found this, but I would still have to provide the Molex port with power. What else do I need and why is this so complicated?

yeah I ended up adding a pass to my account. now I can protect my loli modded skyrim as well

amazon.com/StarTech-com-LP4SATAFM12-12-Inch-Molex-Adapter/dp/B00GK8SYCW

breh why are you making shit so complicated?

ebay.com/bhp/ide-dock

Can you recommend me good books on x86, x86-64 and assembly in general?

I need to buy a 4TB hard drive but my BIOS doesn't support GPT as I've read.

Since I don't have UEFI can I still initialize the drive in GPT just for data storage? I think you only need UEFI if you plan to use that drive for booting the OS.

Attached: dd-composite-kid-muzz-4.jpg (541x500, 19K)

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-10-ltsb-2016-iso.74013/page-2#post-1362825

why dont you go check on your mobo website. and maybe tell us what fucking mobo you have next time too...

no you tard, you're supposed to download it from microsoft because it's legit untouched copy without rootkit/virus, and every fucking untouched copy you get will be evaluation until you enter a fucking key, dipshit

Thank you. Just to be clear, if I buy
and
aliexpress.com/item/15-Pin-SATA-Male-to-Molex-IDE-4-Pin-Female-Adapter-Extension-Power-Cable/32245871900.html
I should be able to connect the Molex with my SATA/USB adapter and the parallel IDE directly to USB?

so i have to re-download it every 3~ months and reinstall the OS?