/wt/ Watch Thread, Windy Swatch Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of non-shitter horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=80hx2FfWjow&t=121s

youtube.com/watch?v=JK12bK05cAA

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Attached: windyswatch.jpg (860x1006, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/GEISTERSTUND-Swatch-GHOSTS-TOMBSTONE-ART-Pkg-By-WARD-SUTTON-NIP-RARE/152918083596?hash=item239aa0c80c:g:b88AAOSwP2FZjXxn
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

did someone say windy?

Attached: SNE437P1 (1)-800x600.jpg (800x600, 60K)

Is leather OK for a chronograph or is steel bracelet the only way to go?

Sometimes it’s ok

Either or

Leather on a speedy looks great imo

Attached: IMG_20160710_1406461.jpg (800x800, 144K)

Leather is fine, depending.

Attached: IMG_20180302_125406.jpg (1836x2763, 904K)

Yeah it's fine.

I've been wondering this too. which is the BEST look. bracelet or leather?

enough half-measures with your answers. WHICH ONE?

rate please

Attached: nato.jpg (3036x4048, 1.43M)

9/10 actually cool and not a Seiko.

Not a fan of the design personally, but I can still appreciate it.
How are the movements in these things?

Literally preference.

No one can decide what you like

These have shot up like $100 in the last few months

Attached: IMG_20180307_210840.jpg (2000x1500, 1.18M)

NATO :)

With powerful processors enabling compression across the board and ever better coding techniques and paradigms there is no reason we would need storage of that size. If anything things are going to be using LESS space as time marches on. They're selling you snake oil Sup Forums

Attached: 186e6598-cbab-4820-818e-1dd5c0e3b621.jpg (700x551, 77K)

Are swatches bad watches?

The one in the OP would look good to me if the band and case were black (crown is OK of course) are they trash watches? every one here hates swatches for some reason, why? do they break a lot?

>Are swatches bad watches?
Considering swatch owns most of the "good" watches, I'd say no.

Attached: Screenshot_20180317-191118_Gallery.jpg (1080x2220, 1.57M)

that crown looks like a fucking throat lozenge

glad i never lived through that autistic era

Goddammit I want this.
Could you please post the reference number?

ebay.com/itm/GEISTERSTUND-Swatch-GHOSTS-TOMBSTONE-ART-Pkg-By-WARD-SUTTON-NIP-RARE/152918083596?hash=item239aa0c80c:g:b88AAOSwP2FZjXxn

Godammit. Does not shit to my turdhole cuntry.
Maybe I can get a relative somewhere else to do it.
A thousand thanks to you!

Would you guys buy a vintage Omega with redial for 140 bucks?

It will be lubed with actual feces and will fall apart within a week. Go ahead.

Option 1

Attached: reloj-omega-ref-131002-calibre-286-D_NQ_NP_816929-MLA26610425821_012018-F.jpg (1200x900, 176K)

Option 2 (original dial)

Attached: omega-hombre-reloj-D_NQ_NP_846646-MLA26409228137_112017-F.jpg (900x1200, 212K)

Best watches with angled faces? Like egonomically angled. I know about that Seiko motorcycling watch, but it doesn't seem to be very available.

Not this one

Why? I can restore the dial.

The newest piece in my collection. I believe I bought at the bottom of the depreciation curve. In ~40 days it hasn’t dropped a second. White gold 18239

Attached: CE8D051D-1A25-465B-9A27-F2D7F96FB56A.jpg (4032x3024, 2.92M)

Congrats, that's a nice Rolex.

The shimmer is hard to capture but it is absolutely phenomenal

Attached: 0C3D8416-8AD6-4970-9261-81E0304B11C6.jpg (4032x3024, 2.89M)

Do you have a pic of the movement?

Not yet but i have a pic of the movement of the other omega (the one it haves the redial)

Attached: reloj-omega-ref-131002-calibre-286-D_NQ_NP_798915-MLA26610437593_012018-F.jpg (1078x1160, 245K)

I would not recommend paying over $50 for this watch. It's just a cheap quartz movement. Keep checking ebay once or twice a month. Three Geists popped up on ebay last year around October and they all sold for under $100.

I just put a regular $10 Swatch strap on it. Its made of some silicon or plastic or something. Swatch watches have these weird double jointed DRM straps so you can't put regular straps on them.

I got mine off ebay, but I only paid $30, shipping included. It wouldn't ship to my country, so I used a service called "Shippn." Happy hunting.

Attached: geist.webm (1440x1080, 980K)

Nice wheels mang

What do you do for a living

What do you do

Retard here with babby's first mechanical

What's the easiest to know the accuracy of the movement? No highly autistic methods please. thanks senpai

>but it doesn't seem to be very available.
Literally 3 seconds on google and I found 2 sites selling them.

Do you have a learning disability?

>clean white dial
>good lume
>hardy
>water resistent enough for regular swimming (not just 200m meme rating that explodes in a light shower)
>holds up in hot and cold
>

Attached: 1510020770728.jpg (598x529, 34K)

Yes

Oh ok.
You set your watch to the exact time (time.is for example), wait 24h, then check it against the exact time and see how far off it is.
There are phone apps that can help with that like WatchCheck.

How the fuck do you get the pins out of the bracelet that comes with a vostok amphibia?
I flattened out the end of the tool pushing so hard to get them out and they hardly budge.

Attached: 9Ojnft8.jpg (3024x4032, 912K)

The better question is why the fuck would you even want to size and wear a bracelet that came with an amphibia? I literally threw mine in the trash it was that bad. I Saved the clasp for some reason though.

Not the same person, mine is pretty horrible, almost +/- a minute per day. Not sure is it because I dropped it once. Still don't know how to get it accurate again. Is bringing it to a profession the only way?

I've got it on a nato strap currently, but I wanna see what the bracelet is like myself.

Thank you friendo

What are the best options for a casual watch under 400$? Currently torn beween:
Seiko Samurai (apparently lots of QC issues)
Bulova Lunar Pilot (like the story a lot, but it's kinda big)
Dan Henry 1970 (my favourite design wise, but Dan Henry...)

Attached: [email protected] (1200x800, 104K)

>Huh, there are qc issues with samurai?
>that 12 lume marker
Wow, what a pile of shit

Attached: qnyGAFFx.jpg (400x400, 18K)

Why does nobody care about Smartwaches
I mean they're computers on your wrist, you can't get more Sup Forums than that

it's a wrist computer, not a watch

Because they're not needed? We like normal watches here so there's no worse place to ask about smartwatches.

>watch
a small timepiece worn typically on a strap on one's wrist.
>timepiece
an instrument, such as a clock or watch, for measuring time.

So a smartwatch (a computer with a functioning clock) is, despite your snobbery and desire to be a snowflake/justify your spending, a watch.

>strap laptop to my wrist
>"it has a clock on it so it's a watch"
fuck off, we don't care about smartwatches

Automatic watches:
>hand assembled (at least, the expensive ones are)
>marvels of engineering
>fluting, milling, minute details
>lasts for 100+ years
>if it breaks or needs servicing, it can be done

Smart watches:
>mass produced by machines
>used an arduino
>planned obsolescence
>if it breaks or needs servicing, oops, time to buy a new smartwatch

nice strawman, retard

Thanks for the tip ghost-bro, I'll keep an eye out.

Because they're still a useless gimmick. I don't consider normal watches to be one. Maybe those born this century who've never worn watches may think so, or consider them "deprecated" lol. It's a habit for some.

When the day comes that the "smartwatch" can totally and conveniently replace the smartphone, and the thing lasts for longer than a few hours on battery (a week or more), maybe /wt/ will actually talk about them, but even then them and their ilk have never been a focus of these threads. There'll probably be a smertwatch general, not that this place will be around by the time that day comes.
And before one of you fags mentions pebble, or that failure samsung s, gfu.
I'm waiting on some scifi tier power solutions before a wrist computer actually becomes enticing. As they stand they're just thoroughly disappointing; they're a fad - junkfood disposable tech. Dumber than google glass, which at least had voyeuristic potential.

Watches, be they mechanical or the more interesting quartz variants, give pleasure through their engineering and aesthetics. Mass produced circuit boards, burnt in displays, compromised processors and construction by the cheapest coolie drones all in a cumbersome package that I know will just end up in a landfill in a year or two give no pleasure to me.

My sidebitch has that exact painting, and several variations of it.

I hate it. It's derivative.

That watch is laughably large.
Like something a clow would wear for comedic effect.

Attached: IMG_20170407_175625.jpg (2845x2496, 768K)

>mako ii has a black bezel
>seiko stargate is too big for my wristlet

Attached: 1383779857355.png (388x387, 46K)

>When the day comes that the "smartwatch" can totally and conveniently replace the smartphone, and the thing lasts for longer than a few hours on battery (a week or more),
It's OK normal and functional to have a mechanical watch that dies and needs to be reset in 48 hours, but not a smart watch that needs to be set on a wireless charger one night out of 3

>lol ok

>>seiko stargate is too big for my wristlet
that crown tho

Attached: windystargate.jpg (1024x954, 219K)

Huh that's pretty nice, except for windy knob.

>It's OK normal and functional to have a mechanical watch that dies and needs to be reset in 48 hours
be more active fatcunt
if your watch is stopping it means you're not moving enough to be alive
watch doesn't even need to leave the wrist in order to "charge"
lmao i bet you like that dumb apple mouse and pencil too

>Huh that's pretty nice, except for windy knob.
;_;

Attached: windystargate2.jpg (800x300, 48K)

if the smartwatch does anything else other than show you the time, ie you fiddle with it and use all it has to offer then it will be dead before sundown. A watch showing you time will never last less than 48 hours and you can wind it up anywhere.

I just own more than one or 2 watches. I like picking up a watch and the watch telling me what time it is, instead of me having manually reset the time by looking at my F91w to tell the mechanical what time it is :D

How tough are the gshocks with analog-digital display, in comparison to say a timex or other quartz watches with analog displays? When I go out into the field for military training we are discouraged from using the illumination function, and i find it easier to read analog hands once my eyes become adapted to the dark. I quite like the mudmaster, especially since one of the models comes with a second hand display.

Semi related question, how tough is the F-91w in comparison to a regular digital display gshock?

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1600, 227K)

>how tough
you can literally throw these watches against concrete walls, drop them from the top floor of a shopping mall, scrub them down with sand and dust, stand on them, and have metal bars slam down on them without them giving any fucks.

11/10 would buy again if mine were ever to break (so, probably never)

There are gshocks that were thrown from space to earth and survived

G-shocks are the toughest watches, no question aside from a sundail

Sundials wouldn't survive a drop from space though.

My former dumbass IT grunt co-worker uses his gshock as a hammer sometimes. He's had the watch for like 10 years.

are you sure?
you could easily make one that would
just an inanimate carbon rod can be a sundial if it lands in some sand

Hello lads, can anyone help me figure out what watch I'm thinking about? It's a lot like a F-91W, same exact LCD, similar if not near-identical body, but had a fourth button, recessed so you sort of had to push it with your nail, where the F-91W just has a blank spot. You would press it to enter adjust mode instead of cycling the mode button.
Anyway, here's my shitty silver F-91W with shittier department store jeweller band. Cheap but I wear it with anything from gym clothes to semiformal and it doesn't seem too out of place.

Attached: image.jpg (2045x2046, 2.24M)

Well that's just silly.

I copped one of these for £40 second hand. Sold it 2 weeks later. Smartwatches are dumb and the heart rate monitor is shite on all smartwatches except Apple Watch.

Attached: IMG_20161116_213709.jpg (3024x4032, 2.14M)

Literally threw mine out of the 5th floor and had it in boiling water for 15 minutes. No problems.

Supposed to rain today

Attached: DSC_0011a.jpg (1500x1000, 346K)

Today is Sunday /wt/, so post all your watches of the red SUN.

Attached: IMG_20180318_135854_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.59M)

Top notch.

Attached: 1405205709588.jpg (917x1000, 444K)

Yeah kind of retarded, I was going to get one but it's like 170 bucks now when I could just get something else instead for that

>mutt thinks his watch makes him better than anyone else
You're still the 56%, boy.

>the My Daddy is Rich Starter Pack

Take a wild guess

Attached: 20180318_142010.png (720x714, 519K)

Use the WatchCheck app

Attached: Screenshot_20180220-074609.png (1440x2560, 310K)

Rate this bros,

Attached: Screenshot_20180318-132427.jpg (1920x1080, 917K)

I like it when they have the light blue SAT as well
feels like a wave of you washing over you to see that as you know that your weekly toil is at an end for the time being

then hell's red SAT comes along to remind you "BTW TOMORROW IS WORK"

Probably looks womanly in action

Set it to time.gov, then check it every 24 hours to see where it's at...

Is it bronze?

honestly shit like Lamborghini and Ferrari (and Rolex too)
feels like what people with no imagination and lots of money get, they just buy it because its expensive not because they have taste

It's a brass one. Didn't want to pay the extra for the bronze on this

Ignore the middle one

Attached: IMG_0376.jpg (4032x3023, 2.4M)

>SAT
More like ignore all of them.