youtube.com/watch?v=KNJrcRx0Zek
youtube.com/watch?v=hEcLyAi-zb8
youtube.com/watch?v=d-q-I5QvelM
youtube.com/watch?v=uM2It3WbXGk
youtube.com/watch?v=Zimig7PfuZs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Breaks > Garage > House > Techno >>>>> Hardcore = Trance

House

Eurobeat. Most else is repetitive nonsense for drunk/high people.

Techno, every other is derived from it

I can confirm that Eurobeat is the best.

but then again, Eurobeat evolved from italo disco and synthpop, not from techno.

>italo disco and synthpop
and power metal in recent years, somehow

breaks >>> house >>> hardcore > techno = trance >>> garage

Techno wasn't the first dance music. Plenty of folk music is dances, as well as classical. Disco might be considered dance music, although the popular conception of dance music may as well be called "rave music" or "let's take ecstasy" music (there's nothing wrong with that of course.)
I really need to get down to exploring more of Eurobeat's roots, but I haven't even listened to a quarter of the SEB compilations I have, not counting when I just played "eurobeat" on shuffle and proceeded to enjoy myself immensely.
I lapsed into reading this post in a Russian accent while I was typing it. I am not Russian.
Are you talking about that Magic Hammer album or has there been more powerbeat recently?
Obviously they both have that "pokemon theme song singer" thing going on with some of the male vocalists but I'm interested in these fusions if they're happening.

>Plenty of folk music is dances, as well as classical.

I think its pretty obvious OP meant electronically produced dance music and a lot of disco used ''real instruments'' so doesn't really count either, I assume.

Yeah I know. I'm talking more in general though about dance music. I'm probably being inappropriate going on a tangential shit fit about EDM but oh well.

No I'm talking about some fairly recent eurobeat songs that include guitars and power metal screams in the chorus sections.

Garage is the worst genre of music

Techno>Garage>Trance>House>Breaks=Hardcore

If we're talking purely electronic based dance music then electro wins.

Although Lee ''Scratch'' Perry probably should be #1.

Oh. At least some of the stuff on this is straightforward power metal/eurobeat fusion if I remember right. I actually don't think I ever listened to it fully. This is the same guy from Rainbowdragoneyes and Alestorm.
I'm not sure if the first track is original.
magichammer.bandcamp.com/album/most-extreme-ultimate-thunder
Where did these tracks you're talking about come from? I haven't heard much recent stuff.

In 1968, Kingston, Jamaica sound system operator Rudolph "Ruddy" Redwood went to Duke Reid's Treasure Isle studio to cut a one-off dub plate of The Paragons hit "On The Beach." Engineer Byron Smith left the vocal track out by accident, but Redwood kept the result and played it at his next dance with his deejay Wassy toasting over the rhythm.[22] The instrumental record excited the people at the sound system and they started singing lyrics of the vocal track over the instrumental. The invention was a success, and Ruddy needed to play the instrumental continuously for half an hour to an hour that day.[23]

recent SEB compilations usually at least have one track of this type on them.
youtube.com/watch?v=KNJrcRx0Zek
Now, that being said, a lot of the "male" eurobeat actually has a similar feeling (even if it doesn't have guitars or outright screams), at least since the mid-90s.
Like if you listen to the King of Eurobeat compilation, you'll necessarily pick up on the theatricality of it and how similar to a lot of power metal it can sound.

But generally, since a big part of the eurobeat fandom is now made of Jap nerds, who typically appreciate j-pop and powerweeb, SEB have been promoting artists who take influences from those music styles for a very long time.

Awesome.
I think power metal and eurobeat have another commonality with how similar a lot of it sounds, but how that's not really a problem for a lot of people who appreciate the sound. The recurring themes are similar as well. They're both very high energy and melodic.

What counts as ''hardcore''?

yeah, if you compare what people usually consider "eurobeat" nowadays, with some of the early material from the late 80s, the difference is striking.

The first 50 SEB compilations are extremely close to italo disco whereas now it's much more varied and ambitious (and slightly less homosexual) but also less funky.

Funk music

Digital hardcore, Speedcore, Splittercore, hard/free/acid tekno

H.P. Baxxter and Scooter.

Monumental Dance

Techno > House > Garage > Breaks > Trance = Hardcore

Hip hop

/thread

I haven't actually listened to recent eurobeat, and I'm not in the loop about it. I didn't get into it through initial D or rhythm games and don't have friends into it. I've only listened to Super Eurobeat comps kinda randomly, but from what I understand the early stuff really was Italo disco, and then it solidified into a more energetic style that was distinct from italo disco.

Hip-hop hasn't been primarily dance music since the 80's.

YEEEEEE-AH!
YEEEEAAH I FEEL ARDCORE!

Well, early eurobeat is still not the same thing as italo disco, but that's the idea, yeah.

House
Incorrect

(not true by the way)

There are subgenres of all OPs list which aren't either except for hardcore, they are all dance genres primarily though, including hip hop.

Jump up desu

FASTER
HARDER

YEAAA-AH

Anglais. Catchy af. youtube.com/watch?v=hEcLyAi-zb8

>main genre

TRANSFORMING THE TUNES

WE NEED YOUR SUPPOHT

Drum'n'Bass if you're younger.
Techno if you're older.

D&B would fall under the breaks umbrella.

Fair enough.

ITS THE FIRST PAGE
OF THE SECOND CHAPTER

>Techno Breaks House

>rock papers scissors

SIBERIA, THE PLACE TO BE!

the one that you enjoy dancing to the most

good shit but that shit's still techno

You grow into techno, it's a fact. I went from psytrance -> goa -> ambient -> prog trance -> techno

Anyone who listens to electronic music and says he doesn't like techno is probably underage or really just a poseur

So whats ''hardcore'' then?

we told you, Scooter is hardcore.

I think liking techno is really a poser thing, I was one of those people mad into techno because I just started going to more underground clubs playing it and taking pills. I convinced myself I liked the music but I just liked the drugs and the image of the scene, when I grew up I realised its all bullshit, the drugs, the scene, the people and especially the music. It's just an excuse for pikeys and "misunderstood" people to take drugs

Techno is the post-punk of dance music, the genre people name drop to look special.

Blawan, Xhin, Nina, Klock, Ben UFO, they all suck and sound the same.

Can confirm this, techno is bullshit and the scene surrounding it where I'm from (Dublin) is so try-hard and forced. It's like hipsters listening to underground music for the sake of it except it's based off a dependence to drugs

>the genre people name drop to look special
not if they're French.

in France, techno is almost synonymous with electronic music. It just makes you sound like a dumb pleb who doesn't know the difference between actual techno and shitty EDM.

I thought the French were all about the tekno and Frenchcore?

For some people, yes, of course. It got mainstream exposure and now literally everyone is doing mdma and "listening" to techno. It's really simple though, if you don't enjoy listening to techno while you're home doing other stuff, then you don't really enjoy it. I'm surprised it took you that long

Ye that's the thing "Awh man love dance music but not that edm shit I like deep techno" it's a way of them labelling themselves so they look like special snowflakes

nah thats Eastern Europeans like the Poles and Czechs

Ye all my mates would play techno when we were just chilling and I would go along with it and theyed all be praising it but one day it just hit me that I never enjoy the music sober when I listened to it sober I just imagined what it would be like off my face in a club

No, it's just that the term "techno" got thrown around a lot in the 90s and as a result everything from eurobeat to French House got conflated with it somehow.

At least for my generation, I don't know about teenagers, maybe they got it right.

>it's all the same

It really isn't, it's like me saying every rap shit sounds the same

youtube.com/watch?v=d-q-I5QvelM
youtube.com/watch?v=uM2It3WbXGk
youtube.com/watch?v=Zimig7PfuZs

Well you just said it, your mates played it, not you

the problem is you dont like techno and not "everyone is just posing and dont actually like it"

Breaks > Techno > Garage > who cares

french here can confirm
I spent three or four years discovering various genres of music before knowing what exactly was techno.
None of my friends know exactly what it is, including some that also are into music.

My mates came around eventually and felt the same once I pointed out how I felt

Yeah me too.
I could say what hardtech, power noise, EBM, darkwave, and aggrotech consisted in long before I could actually get the hang of techno itself.

All 3 of them are boring meandering shite especially the really cheap and pop sounding third link

breaks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> lol who cares

What does "breaks" mean? Is it Jungle, Big Beat, Breakbeat Hardcore, something else?

anything that's got a crippled groove

> Jungle, Big Beat, Breakbeat Hardcore

Yes.

??? Again, what does that mean?

Plenty of people don't like it, but saying that it's all the same is pretty stupid my man.

syncopated polyrythms

WICKED WICKED

JUNGLIST MASSIVE

It sounds like some asshole took off a few beats of the song every few seconds and then glued the remaining bits back together.

yeah

Hardcore/rave, jungle, D&B, acid breaks, big beat, breakcore, broken beat, nu-funk, nu skool breaks, progressive breaks etc

You can't deny that the three examples provided all follow the same formula though.

To compare and contrast, I can find more significant differences between several black metal bands than between these examples. And yet BM is just a subgenre of metal, while techno's been around for longer and is played by at least as many people.

None of you know shit. Shut up and stop posting now.

So, just anything with breakbeats and samples? lol that's so vague.

Its a big genre.

FOR HERO

It certainly is then. I didn't know that anyone classed them all together as one. And in any case, that'd make Breaks my favourite of the lot. I do love me some Jungle and Rave/Hardcore.

Jungle, hardcore breakbeat and D&B are all very similar.

Nu skool, acid and progressive breaks are slightly different but all similar to each other.

Breakcore and nu funk are a bit of an outlier, and broken beat too for all different reasons.

I think it works well as an umbrella for them all though, better than ''electronic'' or ''EDM'' or whatever the latest buzzword is here.

house > garage > lawn > shed > subgenres of house like bathroom etc

I suppose it is useful as an umbrella term for general usage. I probably notice the differences between these subgenres quite a lot since I'm a proper fan of this music, which is why I was confused by the term "breaks" in the OP :P

Remember on Sup Forums, everything is either IDM big 4 or just ''electronic music'', you'd be lucky to have more than 20 replies about any of these genres outside /bleep/.

This is also a common thin of dance music (specifically techno) where everyone thinks they know more than everyone else and ends up being a pretentious prick unless people intervene

Yes, you 2 are the only people ITT who know remotely anything about dance music.

>at house party
>put on a relatively minimal house song
>because beat at start isn't something completely unique, guy listening immediately jumps up about how it's shit
>spend most of the night being told by him how some song isn't a specific genre even though he can't give a reason why

I hate people, I don't see why some can't be more open to discussion without putting their own ego at the forefront of it.

>UKG
>DnB
>House
>Hardcore

/thread

Did some body day hardcoe ;)

Wish we had more shows here in the states. I want to eventually play shows but don't have the means at the moment.

disgusting, go back to yeddit

Techno/IDM of course

>Dance music
>Good

today's techno is shit

this only IDM is acceptable

Dance Punk with Math influence