Is a physical keyboard even good if the keys are that small?

Is a physical keyboard even good if the keys are that small?

Attached: blackberry-key-one-1[1].jpg (1600x1067, 284K)

Other urls found in this thread:

encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&q=android assign hardware keys
amazon.it/BlackBerry-Smartphone-Memoria-Display-Multi-touch/dp/B076ZGW8BF/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521409805&sr=8-3&keywords=blackberry+keyone&th=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No, it's meme. Swipe keyboard is quicker for everything.

No, it's a meme./ Complete trash. Just use AOSP keyboard.
Don't use the botnet that this retard recommends.

Typing on a Blackberry Keyone right now. Physical keyboard is great, regardless the size of the keys. Keys are small, but it's just a matter of habit: the longer you type, the more accustomed you get. Furthermore Keyone's keyboard has great features. I won't go back to a full-touch phone ever again.

You've never used a physical keyboard.

>You've never used a physical keyboard.
I did. For a phone, virtual kb is better.

aosp is easily the worst keyboard
the fact that you're recommending it just proves how much of a total retard you are

Does a virtual kb offer tactile feedback?
Can I swipe left to delete a whole word on a virtual keyboard?
Can I use the keys of a virtual kb to launch apps or specific functions of the phone?
Can I use a virtual kb without needing to run a kb app that takes half of the screen and drinks up memory and battery usage?

No, ergo physical keyboard is immensely better for my needs.

>Can I use a virtual kb without needing to run a kb app that takes half of the screen and drinks up memory and battery usage?
but you have a permanent keyboard that takes half of the screen

Does this look like half of the screen to you?

Attached: Screenshot_20180318-153313.png (1080x1620, 151K)

It's free software, you retard.

>Does a virtual kb offer tactile feedback?
Yes, your phone provides vibration feedback.

>Can I swipe left to delete a whole word on a virtual keyboard?
Yes, you can, if you want. I personally disable such useless fetaure.

>Can I use the keys of a virtual kb to launch apps or specific functions of the phone?
It's not always on screen.

>Can I use a virtual kb without needing to run a kb app that takes half of the screen and drinks up memory and battery usage?
Yes, AOSP is very light. Btw, your hardware keyboard also has a driver and a service attributed which needs to run.

yes. treo 680 had even smaller keys, everyone enjoyed it. and blackberry keyboards are miracle of universe, i had q10 and loved it. size is not that important, you press the bump on key with your thumb and it doesn't matter if your finger rests on other nearby keys, because key needs some pressure to actually get pressed.

it's super comfortable and i miss it a lot. waiting for my moto z keyboard mod right now, can't wait

>vibration = tact
>adds an annoying features that drinks up even more battery
Bad solution.

>such useless feature
Yeah, I don't expect you to use your phone for writing, since your phone has a virtual keyboard.

>it's not always on screen
But when you need the virtual kb it greatly reduces the remaining portion of our screen. Again, maybe you don't use your phone for communicating and reading emails or docs, so I can see why a huge virtual kb isn't a problem to you.

>also has a driver
Sure, but it doesn't show on the screen and slow the device whenever I need to write.

Yes you dumb underage faggot
Kill yourselves

No, it's shit. Non-customisable, lacks features, lacks swipe, and worst of all it wastes screen size while unused. The whole point of smartphones is to give you a big screen so you can view as many things at once. A slide or a flip keyboard is by far superior to this always-on-screen shit.
If you want a physical keyboard then the only one that won't feel shit and kill your thumbs is a wired/wireless compact or full desktop keyboard.

>But when you need the virtual kb it greatly reduces the remaining portion of our screen. Again, maybe you don't use your phone for communicating and reading emails or docs, so I can see why a huge virtual kb isn't a problem to you.
Are you dumb? This is exactly what a hardware keyboard does except it does it ALL THE TIME. If you're reading a document you don't need your keyboard being on the screen.

>slow the device whenever I need to write
Then don't use Swiftkey

the screen is the same size as an iPhone 6 and has a v.keyboard
heard you can use the keys to scroll too.
looking into getting one cause of the security on it

It must be great to reply to a long email or to edit a long document when you see only one third of the screen thanks to your superior virtual kb.
>swiftkey
Did I say or imply I use it?
>non-customisable, lacks features, lacks swipe, wastes screen size
Everything here is completely wrong. Read info somewhere before wasting time on spouting non-sense.

You are a dumb retard
>lacks swipe
Maybe you should kill yourself

I moved from a moto X 2013 to blackberry classic a couple years ago. At first the keys were small, but then I got used to it.

Physical keyboards are great. Too bad Blackberry decided to stop developing BBOS and go with the Google Botnet.

>edit a long document
who does this on their phone?

>lacks swipe
There is literally this option in the KEYone settings you mong.

Attached: Screenshot_20180318-125842.png (1080x1620, 166K)

Yes, about half my note8's screen

I really like my Keyone. I wouldn't even say the typing experience is as much about speed as it is accuracy and being able to type without making a lot of corrections. I find that the screen is large enough to do everything i do even with the keyboard always taking up space.

I do, because my job requires it.

that doesn't make it a good product

Too bad that the battery of your note8 lasts 1/10 of the battery on my Keyone. Also your phone is a toy and it's not suitable for working, so it doesn't count.

That is some aggressive defense to a factual comment.

Did you get a smartphone after physical keyboards started dying out?

Yeah, most keyboards were really cramped like that, but it was still significantly faster than anything a typical touchscreen keyboard speed would be today. But being able to rest your thumb on the board before actually typing made it easier to blind type and lead much less mistakes.

Very comfy
That's not comfy
Screens don't have a bumpy texture to tell which key I swiped over
Plus pic rel has swipe too
On the physical keyboard
Good post
>a note 8 has a 3:1 screen
What
>it's shit
Wrong
>non-customizable
Wrong
>lacks features
Wrong
>lacks swipe
Wrong
>worst of all wastes screen space
Partial right
0.5/5
See me after class
Security is a meme
Worst of all
>No unlockable bootloader
Cmon blackberry
You let us down

It is a toy and I use it as intended, who the fuck does any serious work on a smartphone

>non-customizable
>Wrong
Okay, so tell me how do I set which symbols are available on long press, how do I change it's layout and how do I type with the phone laid out horizontally.
>typing on any tiny keyboard is comfy
No it isn't.

>It must be great to reply to a long email or to edit a long document when you see only one third of the screen thanks to your superior virtual kb.
The physical keyboard has the exact same problem you fucking retard. The point is you can make a virtual keyboard twice as small if needed.

>swipe is good on hardware keyboards
Kys

Then you're retarded for not doing it on a laptop.

>typing on physical keys aren't comfy
You can change what keys show up when you press the SYM key
There are other versions of the keyone with qwertz and azerty if you're into that
>HURR NO I WANNA USE MY HIPSTER LAYOUT/ I WANNA SWITCH ON THE GO
Don't be retarded.
There is a virtual keyboard when you wanna type horizontally

Attached: Screenshot_20180318-214314.png (1080x1620, 145K)

Certainly

>but you have a permanent keyboard that takes half of the screen
Physical keyboards take up zero screen space

>vibration feedback
Useless
>It's not always on screen.
So I can't just start typing to launch apps, what a downgrade.

>There is a virtual keyboard when you wanna type horizontally

>further wasting screen size
Just no. Keyone has a dogshit design.

I have that phone
It's good.
You get used to it and then your finger accuracy is about 1/4th of a key
Meaning you can accurately press not only a certain key but also a certain area of it.
You'll also be able to feel where the keys are and "touch-type".

>Physical keyboards take up zero screen space
This is only true for slide keyboards. Key one SACRIFICES screen size to place a keyboard on the phone's face side. So it does take up screen space. Is the screen 1080x1920? No, it's 1080x1620. It's screen-body ratio is less than 60%. It does waste space. This is the equivalent of cutting off the bottom 15% of your screen and saying "no screen wasted here".
>So I can't just start typing to launch apps
KISS Launcher has an option to keep the keyboard always on. And why would you have to type to open apps? Use a launcher that gives you a one click option to launch them, like Emerald, Hayai or Sailfish.

>virtual keyboards are a waste of space
>wanting to type horizontally with a phone that has a physical keyboard
Are you gonna make up any more retarded reasons why your preference is good for you or are you done yet? Do you want me to make up some retarded garbage too? I'm not as retarded as you but here's my best attempt
>his screen is too far from the Golden ratio
>his phone has edge to edge screen and he always accidentally presses things
>his phone has more screen there is less durable

Not him but I did, and I absolutely loved it. But it was a landscape keyboard. This one is absolute trash.

>not doing it on a laptop
Taking notes and replying to emails is much easier on my Keyone than on a random laptop, simply because I always carry the phone and I don't have to find a seat in order to write something. You can reply to a long email on the go while standing up.

>aggressive
The truth hurts.

It's not just about working, it's also about communicating efficiently with other people. Also who uses his phone for gaming or watching media content? Lol!

>the physical keyboard has the exact same problem
No it doesn't, because it's small and doesn't reduce space. You always see the same portion of the screen no matter what you do. Moreover, Keyone's physical kb also works like a trackpad, which means that you don't even need to cover your screen with fingers in order to scroll/browse pages. Consider all this and you'll see that physical keyboard actually allows you to use a bigger part of the screen.

>absolute trash
It needs some time to get used to. Moving from a landscape keyboard to a portrait one isn't an automatic change.

>This is only true for slide keyboards
Depends on how you look at it. To me, my screen isn't smaller to accommodate the keyboard, my phone is larger to have one in addition to the screen.
>And why would you have to type to open apps? Use a launcher that gives you a one click option to launch them, like Emerald, Hayai or Sailfish.
Press and hold to launch a shortcut bound to the key or start typing to do a spotlight-like search

physical keyboards are kino.
They allow hardware interupts.
Much more stable since mechanically connected.

No software crashes.
No "recalibration" of screen.
Works in humid environments.
Works with any kind of gloves.
>inb4 muh soyboy screen gloves
I need padded leather for subzero weather lad.
I can text while I'm not looking at the screen which is very viable.
I can keybind any commands or apps to any button.
Being able to take pictures or hit record while your screen is off or a flashlight for example.

Hot key for email and f-droid or webbrowser.
Also if you do remote adb or ssh you have all of your /.,-`~%*&@^!*)_=:; ect for shell scripts/commands without going in multiple menus.

The best feature is being able to move between individual letters quickly with arrow keys.
>true haptic feedback on tactical buttons isntead of a vibration from the same location

>Being able to take pictures or hit record while your screen is off or a flashlight for example.
How?

>who uses his phone for gaming or watching media content?
Most people, myself included.

>swipe is good
Kill yourself

Kill yourself

Physical keyboards became obsolete the moment those swipe keyboard apps were invented. Why lose time lifting your finger between keys?

Speed, accuracy, reliability, flexibility, comfort. You know, because its objectively superior in every way

The BlackBerry KeyOne has a 1680 x 1080 screen.
It's only missing 300 pixels out of 1920.
That's 15% of the screen you "sacrifice" for awesome functionality that is useful across every screen.
It's not "half the screen" at all.

xposed modules or many other ways.

encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&q=android assign hardware keys

Swiping is cancer, I don't know how people can like them.

t. Note 5 user

>still no KEYtwo announced

why live?

No, moving parts are prone to failure.

that thing is way too expensive for the specs

>muh specs

Attached: Screenshot_20180317-200351.png (1080x1620, 123K)

Its good but its quite top heavy. But seriously its so much better than a touch screen keyboard

>muh specs
literally the only thing that matters when talking about phone price. Good keyboard ok, good battery life, ok? But $800? You gotta be kidding me

>800 bucks
Literally how and where? I paid €450 for mine in september and it was announced in my country two months earlier.

amazon.it/BlackBerry-Smartphone-Memoria-Display-Multi-touch/dp/B076ZGW8BF/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521409805&sr=8-3&keywords=blackberry+keyone&th=1

admittedly that's the 64GB version

Mine is the 3GB version and frankly I don't see any reason why I should get the black one. I never hit > 2 GB usage.

Physical keyboards on phones suck ass unless it's a really small device. (like flip phone size)

>Hurr look at me, I use a name!

The worst part is that its coming this year but they didn't announce it at MWC for no reason, and decided instead to embarass themselves by announcing that 800,000 sales were a resounding success