Technically profient artists

Post artists that have exceptional technical ability. Creativity counts. Any genre. Any instrument or means of making noise.

youtube.com/watch?v=k9YJM2GCvk8
and
youtube.com/watch?v=Ra-EsJpkG9o

Both Colin Stetson.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nCWiogdCMY0
youtube.com/watch?v=NtuNKVc_jkA
youtube.com/watch?v=bAJ1WTGNISk
youtube.com/watch?v=BAUqT5fL3Io
youtube.com/watch?v=9esWG6A6g-k
youtube.com/watch?v=GrKShqNkcnI
youtu.be/D57fYwyhajk?t=120
youtube.com/watch?v=sHkMFLhcKJg
youtube.com/watch?v=tYPjdaUOwAg
youtube.com/watch?v=zyrefoqcBLc
youtube.com/watch?v=1BHpk52yQDs
youtube.com/watch?v=PTO5XdvXd1I
youtube.com/watch?v=MBvAvW6KQDk
youtube.com/watch?v=agyor0ksmqw
youtube.com/watch?v=ry8pPOxyi4U
youtube.com/watch?v=yUnzFF4kPbU
youtube.com/watch?v=34_dTOK_2NY
youtube.com/watch?v=c_1RZcM3zso
youtube.com/watch?v=sQ_xlHhcA-k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=nCWiogdCMY0

Zach Hill
Probably going to get hate, but I don't know a better drummer, but then again, I don't know many drummers.

Honestly this is not very good drumming "technically"

I used to be able to do shit like this when I was 16 and I never considered myself a drummer. I just played drums sometimes as a hobby.

youtube.com/watch?v=NtuNKVc_jkA

>Circular breathing on a Bass Saxophone

MY LUNGS

guarantee you could never move with that level of speed and strength, and your right foot could never play a bass pedal like that, especially at 16, but if it makes you feel better thats cool

He's no Brian Chippendale.

Sean Reinert

youtube.com/watch?v=bAJ1WTGNISk

Blixa Bargeld. youtube.com/watch?v=BAUqT5fL3Io no edits, only loop.

i agree, Brian is an amazing drummer, but everytime i bring him up in conversations like this my friends say that his not that good technically, just has a lot of energy.
i don't think that way though

>guarantee you could never move with that level of speed and strength, and your right foot could never play a bass pedal like that, especially at 16, but if it makes you feel better thats cool
I actually could though. It doesn't make me feel "better" because literally any decent drummer could do that. Apparently it makes you feel better to tell me what I could or couldn't do though. "Speed and strength" are for kids. Accuracy is much more impressive.

I think you may be under playing the difficulty of drumming unless you're a prodigy or something.

(Not saying Zach Hill is)

god damn he really makes me want a bari sax

That's a Bass sax, user.

Everyone in Dream Theater

Robert Fripp plays borderline impossible things for borderline impossible lengths of time. Adrian Belew does too, and gets sounds out of a guitar that no one else on earth can even dreams of, and gets the added bonus of being able to smoothly SING while playing in weird, or even alternating, time signatures.

they need to chill the fuck out. everyone's drowning each other out by all being too complex. Everyone can go crazy, just not at once.

Third user: but the bari can get a lot of those great multiphonic things that colin plays, so do not despair, first user!

Any one know any Jazz musicians that are really really good at their jazz?
It's hard to find "The Greats" just going crazy.

zach hill is a hack

If you listen some jazz drummers, you will realize that he isn't that technical or fast. Not to knock him, obviously, since he is still a very good drummer.

example pls

Buddy Rich is a meme after that one jazz movie, but god damn he was excellent, even as an old man.
youtube.com/watch?v=9esWG6A6g-k

Stewart Copeland

Can someone explain to a non-drummer why jazz drumming is considered to be among the best? I've listened to a bunch of the jazz classics but I'm still not really sure.

youtube.com/watch?v=GrKShqNkcnI

I love this video, Fripp is known for always sitting while playing, yet here he gets so into it he needs to stand up to play the guitar.
youtu.be/D57fYwyhajk?t=120
Go to 2:00

holy moly shit
do you think he was literally cumming the entire time he was standing up

youtube.com/watch?v=sHkMFLhcKJg

well, that was boring

youtube.com/watch?v=tYPjdaUOwAg

>not apreciating pure spanish/classical guitar music
What's wrong with you?

Whoever the fucking bass player on this album was
youtube.com/watch?v=zyrefoqcBLc

I thought skelletons can't have hair and it was just a myth

youtube.com/watch?v=1BHpk52yQDs

I remember my professional guitar teacher was trying to play a fripp piece I showed him, he had difficulty with finger picking, Fripp played it with a pick, my teacher said its impossible

Actually, you can see the cumstain starting to grow

that filename has alot of comedic value, I have enjoyed it

this autist is pretty legit at guitar
youtube.com/watch?v=PTO5XdvXd1I
youtube.com/watch?v=MBvAvW6KQDk
also funnily enough his videos have millions of views yet he seems to be relatively unknown on other sites

Is this nigga the Orthrelm of sax???

tosin abasi

oh my that looks quite phallic

Hiromi Uehara. She's amazing live, but her studio stuff is the best.

youtube.com/watch?v=agyor0ksmqw

Because it doesn't rely on the standard structure of drumming, or even music. It's not really beats, it's more stream of consciousness but for drums. To play something so dense and random, but have it be accurate and actually make sense is not an easy thing to do. Anyone can play rock beats and fast shit, but to make something slow sound fast and technical is tough.

Vinnie Colaiuta is a good example: youtube.com/watch?v=ry8pPOxyi4U

wow, she's good

What are some contemporary drummers?

Check out the albums, "Hiromi's Sonicbloom" would be the band name. Fantastic stuff.

talented hack

HERE'S

THE THING

Holy shit.. love a good savant

It's hard to be experimental and be technical at the same time

I feel like you reach high level of technical ability through experimentation.

pretty mediocre Art Tatum copycatting senpai, there's a big taboo for playing like this because it's just copying the antiquated way of playing when there's nothing left to say. That's why her more odd-timed portions sound awful.

Here's an actual respectable modern pianist
youtube.com/watch?v=yUnzFF4kPbU

Zach is mainly just very fast. He's definitely very skilled but in comparison to other drummers he doesn't offer a lot.

He's unique though I'll give him that.

Also drummer my vote goes to Blake Richardson from BTBAM who probably shouldn't exist just based on how much skill he has

youtube.com/watch?v=34_dTOK_2NY

well, he's pretty much the king of his niche of noise-rock powerhouse drumming that is more informed by abstract improvisations than traditional punk rock or prog-rock/jazz fusion playing, and manages to fit his drumming into Hella and his other projects in very creative and stimulating ways, so you shouldn't knock him because what he's doing is less technical than technically oriented drummers because you miss the significance of his style, but whatever

the craziest thing is that he uses one pedal

its fucking not

She's a jazz fusion pianist. That's just a cover of a George Gershwyn song. I picked it because it's just her playing without the band.

I know that she's a jazz pianist and i know that I Got Rhythm is a george gershwn song, i'm saying that she's not a good pianist and she's performing in a style which is impressive to plebs but is actually regressive. Then I sent you a video of a much better modern pianist

DUH..........................DUH
DUHDODUHDODUHDUH-DO

Who is the strongest musician? I want to know which musician is physically the strongest.

It's just too bad that you're wrong. I won't try to sell you on her, but her albums are far from antiquated and regressive. There's nothing standard about her "Time Control" album. The chick you posted is good, but it's still blues standards with a bit of flair. Not really a stellar rebuttal to what I posted, especially in the context of "antiquated".

standup bass jazz musicians

dat bass chording
dat voice
dat thick sound of both

But which one.

here you go
played bass like a guitar
could play a double bass hung by a chain standing up

why do strong men like the bass?

I would like to see how strong he is in real life.

>fast, hard flailing: the drummer

Not that he isn't good or even that this is a good example of his skill but this is the type of thing that impresses people who don't play drums or are still at 101 level.

youtube.com/watch?v=c_1RZcM3zso
heres the goat drummer but props to the guy who posted buddy rich it wouldent have been possible without his influence the guy from primus is better though really more groove you know

you didn't get very far in the video if you described it as a blues standards with a bit of flair, or you don't know the difference between flair and creative improvisation. also you don't know the difference between Monk-inspired playing and Tatum-copycatting so I don't think you're really able to understand what I'm saying

he was stronk as fuck before the drugs and alcohol started to take their toll, there's videos of him lifting

read

No, I know what his style is like but thanks. I'm not knocking on the guy but that video sucks. Cool endurance test though.

> Says antiquated.... proceeds to link some generic ass cheesy blues piano.

Uehara blows this way out of the water dude

If it makes you feel better to think I didn't watch it, go ahead, but I did. I didn't say she was shit or unoriginal, it's just not a good rebuttal to saying Hiromi is antiquated when the video says BLUES PIANO right in the title. Don't bother trying to tell me what I do or don't know either, pretty pointless.

Listen to the Time Control album and tell me she's a copy cat, which you will because you have some axe to grind anyways.

>Playing piano since 5
>By the time he finished Pretty Hate Machine, he decided to learn every instrument he could find
>Always up to adding new things

one of my favorite drummers

youtube.com/watch?v=sQ_xlHhcA-k