Should i listen to flac or mp3 if i have shitty speakers and sound card?

Should i listen to flac or mp3 if i have shitty speakers and sound card?

mp3 regardless. Flac = meme

Unless you have a pretty pricey sound set up 320mp3 is fine

Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.

are you trolling me or is this real? where i can read more about this?

The former ya dingus

Holy shit when will people realize this
FLAC is indistinguishable from 320 KB/s MP3, Hell even a V0 MP3 is indistinguishable
FLAC is just lossless, while MP3 is lossy
FLAC is better for archiving, while MP3 is better for small storage.

this is real

Well, if you use mp3,of course it is going to deteriorate in only a few months after being stored in a hard drive. I have numerous mp3s from the late 90s and early 2000s that once had an acceptable bitrate until recently when I took in a listen after so many years past and realize the treble was extremely compress and the bass was proven to be muddified to the point where you can't make out the seperation between the sub-bass anymore. Luckily for me, I now use Flac and aac formats. aac in particular is by default a lower bitrate than mp3 but the sound quality and overall reliability of this format is superior in everyway. Perfect for mobile listening in my opinion. When doing comparisons, the precision and clarity of the music sounds more refreshing and breathable compared to mp3 by a long run.

Its absolutely real...Digital data has been proven to deteriorate over time. Had you ever tried to run an old game on a new computer? Most of the time these games will not work due to the fact that the data on the cds or floppy disks have deteriorated so much over the years they are virtually unreadable and fubar'd. Same idea with mp3s and hardrives.

but seriously tho, you should rip CDs to lv7 flac to store on your hard drive and for portable listening just convert it to 320 mp3 with something like flacsquisher. I keep my collection (90% flac CD rips) in a 256gb FiiO X5 but I also have it all in 320 on my phone. Unless you're a nutball audiophile, FLAC is all about having a 1:1 copy of the data on the CD.

Is flac better than an original cd?

Abosolutely, go ahead and rip a CD into flac and you will hear a significant improvement thanks to the audio codec and the use of your computer's hardware to clarify the sound quality.

also digital data does degrade if it's stored on any sort of magnetic media, but music files have a lot of error correction built in due to how many bits are needed to store acceptable-quality audio. it would take thousands of years for natural data decay on a hard drive to render a file unlistenable

no dumbass you can't make something better by transcoding it to a different compression format. it's all digital, bits are bits no matter what way you cut it.

thinking flac ripped from CD is better than the CD is like thinking a recording of a cassette bootleg played through a $200,000 sound system brings it up to studio quality

Not always. I downloaded the Flac and MP3 for Pinegrove - Cardinal and the guitars sound much cleaner in flac. For the most part though, especially if you have a low end setup, it doesn't matter at all. Just save your space.
dumb copypasta.
fuck off

Dont listen to this guy he is lying to you,

ITT: literally "i just got here" tier newfags

Hi guys! I am new to this website. Is this the place where all the music memes come from?

how about storing music on the cloud?

Generally, its the same story as keeping music files on a hard drive, only that it is sent wireless to some server and stored there. There is a minimal lost of audio quality everytime you transfer your music from whatever cloud sever you use to your audio output of choice. My recommendation is to burn your digital music to a CD to preserve it better.

So is Vinyl the ultimate format for long term music preservation?

Floppy disks are better

>ITT: literally "i just got here" tier newfags
>now they won't suspect me as a newfag and I'll be cool!

ITT: non-musicians