/smt/ - Software Minimalism Thread

In /smt/, we discuss software minimalism.

>What is software minimalism?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why is minimal software good?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Prompt delivery

>Minimal GNU/Linux distributions
- Arch
- Void
- Gentoo
- Debian (netinst)

>Other minimal operating systems
- OpenBSD
- Alpine Linux (Not GNU)
- LFS (Linux From Scratch)

>Minimal programs lists
suckless.org/rocks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers

Attached: carl-jung-irritates-759x500.jpg (759x500, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

suckless.org/conferences/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The cat -v people have a lot of strange opinions.

They attack pretty much anything that isn't C or Go as too complex.

Also, I think they're blind to the shortcomings of the Unix toolchain like handling spaces in filenames just because the alternatives are so much worse.

They are right on the money with symlinks though. Every tool that interacts with the file system deals with symlinks in slightly different, incompatible ways.

I'd give 1 billion dollars to cat-v and suckless fags if i had the money.

They could change this bloated world

Is Crystal minimal? It's got the performance of C but the ease of development of Ruby.

i don't really like suckless because they don't have the discipline to make something useful

modern software innovation is bloat and botnet. Just look at windows 10

Whats the most MINIMAL android os??
is it lineage?

>supporting systemd

Attached: Systemd_anigif.gif (200x133, 772K)

Bad OP

I hope you are happy, the stupid trolls made a thread with all shitposting and no pasta. Fucking archfag.

samefag

When is faggy OP coming back?

Attached: 1498052725522.png (480x467, 34K)

death to fags

Attached: 1521443762597.webm (640x800, 2.71M)

>keeps changing the thread title
>software and not hardware (RISC architectures for instance)
>Arch Linux

Attached: sage.jpg (1298x1019, 497K)

whats wrong with arch???

systemd
systemd everywhere

also the installation is pretentious. sure they have a good wiki, but why not just take the leap and do a full gentoo stage 3, or just get a minimal distro that isn't tryhard such as void or alpine

funny how systemd is wrong only for arch.
>muh devuan exists
yeah, no. It sucks and isn't anywhere stable, maintained and developed as well as debian.
Also still includes systemdicks and failed the only purpose it promised to provide. I'm not OP, I also hate systemd, but it's part of every relevant distro and we gotta deal with it somehow. Your obtuse way of looking at things it's the reason why u're failing in IT and don't have a job. Open your mind, be elastic. And more importantly fuck off, the fag OP was using a proprietary machine (Mac) and you all fell for his "please like me, so I can post digusting pictures in a blue board" thing. Imagine being this stupid. How's MacOS any better than systemdicks?

didn't even notice the reddit spaced line
>the installation is pretentious
traslated into: I'm too much of a brainlet to install arch and need a brainlet install script like void's. The install process is the same as any other linux distro. Even ubuntu does those steps behind the GUI.
>alpine
>not tryhard
gr8 b8 m8.
Also, to properly make void minimal you need to do the manual install, which is the exact same as arch, or you get stuff like os-prober pulled in even if you never asked for it.
>Pretending to be minimal using install scripts.
>Muhh systemd is bloated fuck arch loonix
No, fuck you mate.

>crux linux not mentioned

>Is it called CRUX Linux or CRUX GNU/Linux?
>None of the above. It's called CRUX, no more no less.
>crux dot nu/Wiki/Faq?from=Main.Faq#ntoc4
don't speak about something you don't know.

>funny how systemd is wrong only for arch.
>>muh devuan exists
no, it's wrong for every distro. whichever user you think i am, i'm not

>didn't even notice the reddit spaced line
ignored the rest of your post. you have never heard of separation of thoughts

then why you brag only about arch and not debian?
Let me imply you failed to install arch and are the total brainlet you are proven yourself to be, with posts like this and the above, therefore value your opinion the same as the average pajeet who tries a pull request on my github.

>let me find something to hang on to avoid to discuss the rest of the post, so I avoid to get my points shit on one by one.
Nice Sup Forums approach, you can go back there anytime. You don't need a blank line to separete thoughts. You're a redditor, the blank line is useless here , you had to greentext the first two lines without leaving the blank line.

The guy asked what was wrong with arch, no wonder he only addressed arch when he said systemd was the problem. Just because he didn't mention Debian doesn't mean Debian ismt also bloated. Just remove arch Debian and devuan forever and be done with it

which browser are you using that's not a piece of shit? Sup Forums looks terrible on w3m and seems to require javascript for everything. firefox is bloat. luakit and qutebrowser are not stable for daily use.

also how do I do phone minimalism?

I'm the user who you replied to, answering like that implies systemd is something provided by arch, when it's actually forced by Red Had into every major distro. I agree with you on removing them both. I'm not OP tho, and I'm afraid people will brag about the lack of a user-friendly distro, but I think void is pretty user friendly when installed with the script. I'd just include arch wiki as a general purpose reference, togheter with gentoo documentation and be done with it.

dwm + st aren't?

Alright let's do this for the next op, no systemd distros and only archwiki listed as a beginner resource.

st is pretty good, but urxvt is faster and stays minimal while being perl-extensible. Can't speak for dwm cause I never tried it. Suckless guys are a bit too much nazi but very competent. I recommend to check out their talks available here:
>suckless.org/conferences/
Their recommendations shouldn't be taken literally, rather represent good general rules about cleaness and minimalism.

> arch
> minimal
Lost

>st is pretty good, but urxvt is faster
st IS the fastest, but it lacks some convenient features urxvt has with little tradeoff in pure performance.

create a 1M line text files. do
time cat file.txt

urxvt is considerably faster.

qutebrowser shouldn't be unstable as long as you're using it with an updated QtWebKit or QtWebEngine.

>something should be stable if you’re running bleeding edge
no thanks

also maybe it’s not minimal enough. I just need w3m with slightly better layout capabilities leveraging CSS but without actually styling anything and support for basic non-evil JavaScript

I was using the TTF Terminus font on urxvt, that's why it was slower than default st.