/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Attached: 1371710.jpg (1024x768, 579K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m7ERMu825m4&t=18
ethanwiner.com/audiophoolery.html
ethanwiner.com/believe.html
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/
youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ?t=2752
youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ?t=1956
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what is the second best headphone behind the ma900?

Attached: dre.jpg (2301x3382, 1.06M)

>first three posts of thread
>all memes repeated for the umpteenth time
Nice start guys.

>electrocution risk
source?

also aren't the 600's supposed to have a fairly flat sound profile since they're reference headphones?

youtube.com/watch?v=m7ERMu825m4&t=18

ethanwiner.com/audiophoolery.html

ethanwiner.com/believe.html

Attached: 1502381043098.jpg (1200x900, 708K)

Hello newfag, you may want to lurk a bit to understand the context of I the HD600s are treated the way the are.

Have some more tired memes.

Attached: grain.png (893x558, 937K)

tl;dr: Sup Forums hates on things that are popular.
It's a joke referring to the actual electrocution risk that STAX headphones provide. The user who made that image is a mad STAXfag who got butthurt when someone posted about said risk here.

you could cut out the middle man and just tell me so I stop shitting up your thread, but w/e nice trips

One post by you is one less post by the insufferable HD600faggot so by all means stay.

HD600 are the most desirable trolling target in /hpg/ because they are the most popular headphones in /hpg/. They are heavily recommended here and there are a ton of HD600 owners who post in here. Hence, they are a desirable trolling target for those who desire (You)s.

>one level higher
I'm gonna get a loki, SYS and mani, make that three levels higher. The biggest shit stack of all time.

Attached: snap.png (882x758, 239K)

>ethanwiner.com/believe.html
Everyone here needs to read this.
Nice avatarfagging.

Reminder
>Ask for closed back headphones in 100 dollar range
>Multiple posts telling you to buy HD 600s and Schiit stack
All the trolling is deserved.

Clear and obvious false-flagging.

Where is dipolar? I miss his imagedumps of BTFOing HD600 cucks.

Attached: 1504021645423.jpg (4304x2860, 2.85M)

More like Ethan WHINER am I right

>Everyone here needs to read this.
everyone here has already you newfag, you need to lurk more

>False flagging
False. I asked about X2s one time. Literally five responses of
>LOL buy HD600s!

>X2 are closed back headphones in the 100 dollar range
>moving the goal posts this far

Idol Trash here. How's your soy today?

Attached: trash.png (860x600, 865K)

It's funny because the poster you're responding to is the most likely false flag. There is simply no poster more obnoxious, vile, hateful, and bitter than the user who praises the HD600 as the best headphone in the galaxy and shits on every other headphone in existence.

k712 > x2 > hd600
prove me wrong

Behold: the best headphones in the galaxy.
Bass cannons like K712 and X2 need not apply.

Attached: hd600frequencyresponse.png (630x489, 30K)

I have tested them. They are boring, but just because what I like is some nigger bass and tremble like on the 880, and another friend loves them, because he hates just what I like.
It is a funney bait, but whatever.

This is correct.

>K712
These are great if you want literally as much bass as Beats.
>in b4 someone who doesn't know how to read graphs saying I can't read graphs

Attached: graphCompare.php.png (1000x500, 66K)

Attached: 1520282367512.png (1096x640, 145K)

Defective sample. Don't bother replying. I am right and you are wrong.

You're telling me these cost $300? Jesus.

>repeating this misleading meme because you're a faggot who needs to neck yourself

Everyone can tell it is you, gen z spammer, kitchen boy.
Go drink your soylent.

Attached: on le ground!!1.jpg (674x430, 58K)

>moving the goalposts
There is literally no goal posting moving here.
>Point out HD 600s are literally the default spammed response no matter the situation
>Give a real situation that happened to me as an example
>LOL GOAL POSTS!

>b. You won't see an electrostatic amp from us, for liability (high voltage) and political reasons.
>political reasons

what did he mean by this

Attached: political reasons.png (1556x800, 72K)

I hate shills like you

Schiit is prone to bad engineering, and bad engineering when it comes to estats isn't a great thing.

So basically: don't buy Sennheiser and don't buy Schiit.
Got it.

Attached: 1506057095359.jpg (383x383, 34K)

Post raw and please don't use GE

Even well designed electrotatic amps can kill you if they fail, using a schiit designed one would be pretty much suicide

Attached: 1505309947313.png (634x857, 324K)

>please don't use the most credible headphone measurement website with the most credible compensation curve
No. I post GE because I'm responsible enough to only post the most robust data.

So that's the power of non-driver matched headphones

Don't buy schiit. Buy sennheiser after you've determined they fit your needs and not because one of the idol posting shills convinced you to do so.

buy AKG and TOPPING

t. failed circuits 101

they literally can't.

What even makes GE credible? I didn't get an answer last time. That's a 7 year-old graph and a lot has changed since then

For me its the SHP9500S

Attached: 26-138-190-09.jpg (1280x960, 127K)

>What even makes GE credible?
because it shows the hd600 in a positive manner so hd600 owners claim it's credible

Pretty much

The Trustiest of Fucks

What's wrong with Schiit?

lurk more

Attached: 1518167504441.jpg (289x340, 24K)

These two are trying to get the 9500s on the same level of hated as HD600s. Though this can't happen as the 50 dollar price range is perfect for its capabilities.

I don't want memes I want real reasons.

Never buy Schiit products.

>#1 recommended brand by reddit shills because hehe i get to say Shit
>owner thinks authoring a 140-chapter work of fiction about the company history makes up for garbage quality control, performance, and customer service
>Schiit defenders are becoming poster children for post-purchase rationalization when shown their buys aren’t worth the money

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/

>solder splatter
>caps on output
>Either they don't measure their DACs, don't care or don't know how to design a clean DAC.
>For me the biggest letdown with all of this is the major disservice Schiit and others are doing to the community. They are toting these frankly "shit" amps as power houses
>As we see, tons of jitter and distortion products are visible together with higher noise floor. Even the Topping D30 at $129 shipped runs circles around it in how clean its output is relative to Schiit BiFrost Multi-bit.
>There are DACs literally at 10% of the cost that do much better.

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/

Attached: I said it again mom.png (1920x1310, 880K)

just buy topping. china has made schiit's quest for low-cost high-quality audio obsolete, especially since schiit transitioned to high-cost low-quality nonsense like multibit garbage

at the very most, only their amps are worth considering. moffat is an old fart who has no idea what he's doing anymore.

how about we start with the bifrost ($400) measuring worse than $10 dacs and has only 10 bits of linearity. how about the original playstation having a better dac than the yggdrasil?

Attached: 1518310453090.png (842x848, 197K)

A simple threadly reminder. We don't go in an endless shilling rampage :^)

Update this with the Magni 3 only delivering 50% of power spec.

>has no idea what he's doing
it seems that's the opposite. He does know what he's doing, and it's not for the benefit of the consumer.

are "audiophile cables" debunked? like with measurements and such?

bifrost multibit, the one amir measured, is $600 actually. the $400 bifrost 4490 is probably actually better than the $600 one since it doesn't use obsolete technology implemented poorly.

but neither are worth considering when a topping d50 is $250 and is essentially "perfect"

>how about the original playstation having a better dac

Attached: pss.jpg (3064x1932, 801K)

>topping d50
Which is also a meme, since $10 DACs measure perfect too.
Spitting on Schiit and advicing likewise overpriced meaning-less products is hypocritical.

Audibly perfect can be had for a lot less than $250.

someone post the screenshot of the dude on ASR who talked about he kept getting banned for recommending anything other than schiit on headfi

Attached: schiit.png (776x893, 234K)

I'm an ASR reader(yes, you have to identify as such in the audiophool community) and I understand all of his measurements except the sine wave one and the "bits".
When it says the modi is only 12 bits or whatever it was does that mean a dac that can resolve the full 16 bits of my files will be an audible improvement?
If anyone could just give me a run down on what those mean I would be grateful.
t. modi owner thinking about a topping d50

poorfags pls go. it's people like you who make the "measurements are for poor people" meme seem true

>Topping D50
Isn't that higher priced due to DSD, screen, features, etc?
There's like four of them I'm pretty sure.

yooo that's my job! I'm happy you asked.

Attached: shitmyassup.png (1654x739, 159K)

CDs are 16 bits and were designed to be 16 bits to contain the full dynamic range of the human ear. less than 16 bits means it could potentially not be transparent. is it audible? I don't know!

youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ?t=2752
Watch this at the 46th minute.

>Isn't that higher priced due to DSD, screen, features, etc?
yes, exactly. cheaper DACs are fine but the D50 is a true premium featureset for a budget price.
do it

Go play with your $500 RGB balls, chordboy.

Attached: 1519580539002.png (644x800, 15K)

I think the Topping D50 is a decent product, but coming in and proning objectivity while advicing products which are not objectively price-worthy nor add audible difference seems hypocritical to me.
Do you think you need any of the features of the D50 ?
DSD is not audible and a lot of cheaper DACs also have it.
No specific features from I/O are special or different from other DACs.

Either you go for the full >muh measurements and buy a Benchmark DAC, or you fuck off with your objectivity and realize you're nothing better than subjective fools who think straight lines on measurements are audibly different.

what

what

>Though they mentioned they won't respond to things that aren't worth their time
Ah, so that's why they lost me as a customer.

you have to be a special kind of stupid to claim you know the exact point something is inaudible or transparent, I think

Attached: 1517890841861.png (719x1080, 468K)

wait, so the ark audio guy mentioned in this post was right?

Measurements are only useful with an understanding of psychoacoustics and human hearing. Spec wanking the likes of benchmark is just as bad as audiophool cablefaggotry.

I agree.
Every measureable aspects of audio have audibly transparent thresholds which have been finely delimited. Unless you engineer a product like the Modi, chances are it's ruler flat and transparent.

could someone show me the gold standard frequency response graph? i never know what you guys mean when you post a graph and go "lol btfo" or whatever

>Every measureable aspects of audio have audibly transparent thresholds which have been finely delimited
you mean like studies that say 10% THD is inaudible, and that time (CSD) has no effect on sound? hilarious.

>you have to be a special kind of stupid to claim you know the exact point something is inaudible or transparent, I think
No, just smart enough to test things on your own. There are parameters that don't require a Benchmark DAC to test on your own and realize how inaudible it is, such as.. noise floor and ability to reproduce sine waves at lower dBFS.
youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ?t=1956
32th minute.
If you already have a decent enough DAC (measured at having a much lower noise floor than this video) and realize you already can't distinguish anything below -70dB because of sound masking, then who the fuck cares about how well a DAC reproduces a sine wave at -90dB?
It's a special kind of dumb to begin with to think human hearing is anywhere near that precise.
Audio and taste are the most perverted of our senses and most prone to magical thinking. Nobody thinks our eyes see better than an entry level dSLR.

see

post raws

I already know what ethan winer says, show me how this
>realize you already can't distinguish anything below -70dB because of sound masking
was determined instead of repeating things you heard from people. it's just like people who misinterpret hearing damage statistics.

I really don't care what someone says, show me how the fact was produced. show me how the dynamic range of the ear is determined instead of telling me what it is.

do i buy these?
im not really in the market for headphones but i saw these on discount for $50 when they went for a couple hundred $$ last year

Attached: MDR100AAP.jpg (600x600, 62K)

>could someone show me the gold standard frequency response graph?
posted it

I know the modi is trash but damn does it sound worlds better than the gen 1 dragonfly black.

Test it yourself. Since you are so confident in your hearing and own a top end DAC play some aggravating waveform at -70dB.

eardrums are not perfect listening devices like microphones. you can hear things that are not there, and also not hear things that are actually there. sighted listening is a bad measure of whether I can hear it or not.

Have a friend do the switching off and on of the noise while you're playing music. Ah, who am I kidding, you don't have friends.

have you even done the things you preach or do you just repeat what other people say without thinking for yourself?

I did. You on the other hand are no better than subjectivists who believe in magic r2r DAC or Chord's FPGA.

funny that, considering I agree with you on most points. I'm just not stupid enough to try to be the de facto authority on what people are and are not hearing.