ITT ports you never use

[spoiler] eSATA [/spoiler]

Attached: Esatap_port.jpg (976x512, 227K)

>eSATA
comfy

I've used it, but I never understood why it was used on a laptop while USB 3.0 was left on the backburner because of added cost until 2011 when that shit was ready in 2007.

I don't use the usb c on my mobo and I never will
fight me

You say that now but almost every new phone and a bunch if new peripherals are coming out with USB-C

Wow, thanks for putting this shit on my board Gigabyte that literally only one thing uses.

Attached: 5861.jpg (1500x898, 145K)

It's a shame that and sata express never caught on.
they're really cool

Hey, at least something uses it.
Afaik there isn't a single SATA Express drive on the market (apart from some chink m.2 adapters), yet Intel pushed this shit for almost three entire generations.
Reminds me of the ACR and CNR slots back in the Pentium III and 4 era, except back then OEMs used those as a way to cheap out by using softmodems.

Attached: SATA_Express_connectors_on_a_computer_motherboard.jpg (400x211, 28K)

>never knowing /comfy/
well eSATAp is /comfy/, esata is just a small taste of comfy.

Anyone know of any good 34mm or 54mm expresscard storage or adapters
I have an extra slot on my laptop and think it would be cool to put windows on it for whenever I would need that sort of thing.

Attached: expresscard.jpg (423x301, 22K)

usb 3 would have been nice to have baked into eSATAp.
One possible reason they chose the esata route instead of the usb3 route is they would have had to add another usb controller, tie it into the cpu, add all of the support hardware and what not, and then route all of that together. Takes alot of space and adds to the cost.
The usb controller is already there and so is the sata controller, and odds are the single hdd and single optional dvd drive are not taking all of the sata lanes available. So adding the eSATA+USB ports is sort of a gimmick to add more features while not having to do anything else other than run an extra sata line to the already present sata controller.

unironically this.
atleast its optional in the sense that it uses the same lines as another sata port so you are still limited to ~6 sata ports being used (that think counting as 2 or whatever it uses)
or am I thinking of only m.2, fuck idk anymore.

I do seem to recall a breakout cable for that meme so that you can get a couple sata cables from it.

Your mom's pussy.

Had an old AMD Turion x2 I bought brand new and it had eSATA on it, used it quite often with my external drive, but USB 3.0 would have been much more convenient

It's a great replacement for USB micro but there's no reason to use it over USB Type A.

Attached: 1518153874638.jpg (550x550, 48K)

I don't think you can boot from one of those, not unless you boot into a bootloader on a USB drive which then has the drivers needed to boot from an express card

Reversible and takes up less space?

get with the times plebs

Attached: apple-iphone-7-headphone-jack-kill-dead.jpg (900x500, 58K)

who the fuck invented this waste of space then?
Seriously, fucking why. I'm just gonna put one of those hp multitool trays in them because that's all they're good for.

[spoiler]PS/2[/spoiler]

>who the fuck invented this waste of space then?
>Seriously, fucking why. I'm just gonna put one of those hp multitool trays in them because that's all they're good for.
Oh boy, you're going to shit your pants when you learn what an eGPU is.

Attached: podklyuchenie-videokarty-k-noutbuku.jpg (800x515, 99K)

>inb4 someone says they need it for keyboards and such.

I get it if you are running out of ports or your computer comes standard but don't go out of your way to buy an adapter

It goes back to ye olden days when laptops didn't have WiFi and you needed an external card for it. Also for 3G modems. At least those are the only reasons I've ever seen it used.

i still just use a ps/2 keyboard and mouse, if i have the i/o i might as well use them and save the 2 usb ports i have

>expresscard
>when laptops didn't have WiFi
You need to be over 18 to post here.

I already know that exists. But it's pretty unpractical.
I have a 2 pcmia slots on my gateway 2000 laptop for this reason and others
that old thing even had an ir sensor

The thing I'm asking is why put something so outdated and unuseful on a laptop from 2011?
Save for what? It doesn't really matter imo but people tend to make a big deal about always using the ps/2 ports.

>Reversible
Pointless.
>takes up less space?
Makes it far more brittle.

It's just the next generation of PCMCIA and CardBus. They kept iterating on those for some reason, but that's why they had the slots in the first place.

>laptops with expresscard didnt have wifi
youre thinking PCMCIA era, and even then that really wasnt the reason PCMCIA was a thing
expresscard was just a specific form factor for pcie x1 devices like wifi adapters, bluetooth, 3g/4g, other miscellaneous i/o, storage, or as an adapter to other external devices like disk drives

oic related is from 2004 and has wifi and bluetooth built in

Attached: ferrari1.jpg (1000x563, 201K)

It can handle more insertions than your mom, which is quite a feat in and of itself

Fucking rich fag

It doesn't have anything to do with either PCMCIA or cardbus, other than it being an expansion card slot.
See above. Not PCMCIA.

usb stick and wifi adapter

Nah, USB C on mobos right now is dumb. USB C to USB C won't be practical for a good, long time.

>Reversible and takes up less space?
...and breaks compatibility with generations of devices destroying the Universal in USB. Not dealing with the quantum USB plug would certainly be nice though.

Just use a USB-A to USB-C cable. It'll take a while but eventually more and more things will be replaced with USB-C
I can see it replacing bulky HDMI and DP cables as well

>poorfag that needs to use expresscard for wifi adapter
k den

that's floppy stick you , Mr.

ExpressCard was literally developed by the Personal Computer Memory Card International Association (PCMCIA), retard.

He no very bright
he no no what pcicard duz

honestly why even bother at this point?
You are now anchored to the wall at two different points, have a flimsy ass cable tied into your laptop that will break with more usage and hopefully wont damage the header that has limited mating cycled
also youre now carrying around akward bulky shit and your graphcis card which is only running at 2x is completly exposed and is vulnerable to water and impact damage.

Youd honestly be better off just taking a mini desktop build with you. You would have more power, not be using a cucked U edition cpu, and over all will just have a better time while still looking like an autist.

They just died no motherboard have esata, and a lot external drive use usb, I'm looking for esata but only 2.0 available and that was somewhere 2010.

Thanks for wasting a port on mini-DP instead of something useful, microsoft. HDMI is actually thinner too so it's not like they had to use it for thickness reasons.

>he thinks an egpu is portable
plug it in, play game
unplug it, do less demanding stuff but with more mobility

gets more life out of older hardware or stuff with weaker integrated graphics

"exposed and is vulnerable to water and impact damage"
dont throw water balloons at your egpu

the point of an egpu isnt like, buy a flagship laptop and a 1080ti, its common with old business laptops with decent processors but extremely weak igps, spend 100$ total on some old midranged card + dock and PSU and you get a viable performance upgrade to your system when its docked at home for pretty cheap

It wont catch on until they can figure out what the fuck it does. There are so many substandards for Type-C. Some charge, some don't. Some carry video, some don't. Some carry audio, some don't. Some are fucking USB 2.0, some aren't. And even among all of that, there are different standards for the cables themselves. Not all Type-C cables are the same and there's no easy way to tell them apart.

Attached: SurfacePro3-18.jpg (700x468, 14K)

DisplayPort is objectively better than HDMI. Get a mini-DP to HDMI adapter if you need HDMI.

Sounds just like every other version of USB

Imagine being so stupid you think eGPUs are meant to be portable

You can still find esata cards. They also make an esata shield that has an internal wire that plugs into a sata port, its basically passive and is as safe as your internal sata ports (because thats what it is).
eSATAp is a trick to find though. I imported one from china and the drive I plugged into is is now pitching errors like crazy. It reads fine but the disconnects or transfer errors or whatever it was bitching about have me too worried to actually trust the drive.
The drive may have already been fucked though. I dont know and have yet to do further testing. Please be cautious with this type of shit and test whatever you get carefully before plugging in drives you care about.

and usb-c/lightning are objectively better than a 3.5mm trrs jack. doesn't make it any less stupid of a substitution

Back when I was poorfag as fuck I used an eGPU with my laptop, that I needed for university, to play the vidya because I couldn't afford to build an entirely new PC.

>Imagine being so stupid you think eGPUs are meant to be portable
idk, I just imagined them being lugged into a university to play gaymes between classes or something.
>water baloons
shit happens, people are clumsy. As stated above, I imagine some other retard at a university tripping and spilling their coffee flavored sugar water all over your gpu.

>tfw my Dell c610 Pentium III had built in G wifi and Radeon graphics in 2000
>mfw I had 6 hi-cap batteries for it

Before USB3 what the fuck did you use to move 100GB+ of data? I bet you sat there like a loser waiting for your USB2 trash.

You nog motherboards don't have eSATA because you can just simply install a bracket for it.

Attached: 81l8O-Gf7XL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 125K)

>and usb-c/lightning are objectively better than a 3.5mm trrs jack
Disagree. The DAC should be in the phone, not your headset. And if it's in the phone, it can output analog audio directly over a TRRS connector, regardless of whether it's 3.5mm, 2.5mm, or something else that isn't digital. This is important because the only reason they want to make the switch is for DRM purposes. TRRS is already prolific and Type-C doesn't give any benefits over it.

Also, HDMI is a perfect example of why Type-C audio is bad. Look at HDCP, which is a colossal piece of shit and makes everything more expensive and more difficult. It's hard to even get an HDMI switch to work with HDCP.

My laptop came with an eSATAp DVD burner, I still use it here and there.

>Before USB3 what the fuck did you use to move 100GB+ of data?
FW800

Attached: 00132-01.jpg (600x600, 102K)

4 year old macbook, literally never used the thunderbolt 2 port.

Attached: wew lad.jpg (800x534, 144K)

They should've just put a USB C port instead of Display port.

there's a whole world outside of university where spazzy kids don't constantly spill their red bulls on shit, you know

Surface Pro 3 is a lot older than USB-C

They are both from 2014
But obviously you cant release a product with a connector that was only just finalised

So when did USB-C first show up in a consumer product? 2016?

My T420 has an eSata port, which i use everyday with an eSata external HDD.

It was a Nokia tablet, I believe. Nokia N1.

> He doesn't know that this also can be used as a USB port

>Esata

Had 2 motherboards in the past with this and literally could never get them to work. Bought an external Esata drive all for naught.

Came out in 2015. Still much later than the Surface Pro 3

not using an external monitor

>

you are the reason why there is no advance in technology

I'm the reason why there's no advance in technology while advocating for new technology?

15 inch 2880x1800 is everything I need. When I need to connect it to the TV, I just use the HDMI port.