Why don't we have real competition for MS Office?

Why don't we have real competition for MS Office?

Attached: 123_release_1[1].png (650x404, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VuoVf_9z0DE
justsystems.com/jp/products/ichitaro/
youtu.be/3f4coKkg3Mc
kingjim.co.jp/pomera/dm200/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

talented developers don't work for free

Because these Office suites aren't really what people need. Most people mostly need to write up a document or make some calculations and don't use 99% of Office's functionality

So there's no real reason to provide competition. There' LibreOffice if you really want, though.

There's obviously a huge market for office products in businesses and government offices. Why aren't there software devs who want a slice of that market now, when there used to be before?

Again, even here, most people just write up simple documents or make simple calculations. They do use templates.

For more complicated things they should just get their own software written to integrate with their databases.

You keep saying that most people don't use MS Office yet Microsoft rakes in $1 billion+ of revenue from MS Office.

I'm not saying they don't use it, I'm saying they don't need it and shouldn't use it.

Well that's not the question posed in this thread. Are you ESL?

Latex is superior to word.
Excel is only useful for a very small amount of people and slideshows can easily be made with other software or online.

"There is no need for it" is the answer to the OP's question. It's just like this poster says

There's no need for millions of things, like gambling, jewelry, jet skis, yet demand develops for them and there are companies that produce competing products to capitalize on that demand. Are you guys autistic or just retarded? The question isn't whether an office suite is absolutely necessary for existence.

By 'before' you mean 25 years ago right?
Wordperfect hasn't been a contender in that long.

Microsoft offered cheaper licensing, better integration with Windows, OLE, ODBC, Better syncing, etc than anyone else and eventually the market settled on Microsoft's document formats which sealed the deal.

>Has a minor fit over push for 'coding' in schools
>Expects that Stacey in Accounting is going to learn LaTeX and that it would be a good idea to even have all the Stacey's attempt to learn it.

Retarded people have MS Office, gambling and jewelry. Non-retarded people don't even need an alternative to these.

Libreoffice works fine. I haven't encountered any ms office files it can't open so far.

>I haven't encountered any ms office files it can't open so far.
Yes, but what do they look like when you've opened them?
Usually the layout is gone, the fonts are all over the place and any graphics are misplaced and distorted.

no reason to use something else than Arial anyway

user didn't say that you dumb dumb. They said most people don't use the majority of the functionality available. They did not say "most people don't use MS Office".

Apple's programs are alright.

You meant times new roman.

stuff like Kingston and LO is the alternative.
But people, especially big biz/gov prefer tried and true solutions that know will work and have dedicated support.

TNR is for printing, not for screen viewing.

The same reason we have no real competition for Windows: Microsoft ARE computers to 90% of people.

Because unless your program is 100% compatible with MS Office, there's no reason to even use it.

And should you get that 100% MS can just force an update to Office to break that compatibility.

You are retarded.
Everyone in my company uses Google docs and it fits all our needs. You don't need anything more than what you can get from free alternatives.
No company is going to pay for new office software, if you can get all of that for free or get microsoft office for people who specialize in it.(because they got some bullshit certificate)

Still waiting for some jewish Micro$hill to explain to me why I'll ever need MS Office when Libre Office does everything I'll ever need, and does it just fine. I imagine it's that way for most people too; although they use MS Office, it's overkill and they would be better-served using the free LO suite (that they probably don't even know exists) because most people only do light word processing/document creating and that's it. Hell, even the LO spreadsheet program is best for most people since the average office normie has no idea how to take advantage of Excel's advanced features.

LaTeX is better obviously, but from a business/managerial point of view people are too stupid/lazy to learn it and use it over word.
Excel is very useful, and Libreoffice Calc isn't even really competition (max 1024 columns lmao)
Yes for large scale analysis STATA/Pandas/mysql is superior, but excel is super useful for small scale data analysis, as well as playing with a subset of the data.

Can libre has lets you delete word pages empty or not?

Because people who program build what they and their team might need under open source licenses. Anything the public would want that they wouldn't use is going to be proprietary. Anyone programming isn't going to be writing papers often unless they're in academia, and if they are writing papers, they've been doing it in LaTEX.
All that LibreOffice stuff is just a feel good pat on the back, and development is slow there because there's no need from those who drive the community to make it. If you want good, possibly free, competition for MS Office, you gotta do it yourself, or pay someone to do it. Nobody else really cares enough whether or not it exists.

Attached: 1521249022247.gif (827x745, 508K)

>LaTeX is better obviously

For print. For screen something like Markdown is much better.

There is lots of retarded people around. If you want to hire them(and you want to because you can pay them less), you need to send them to training. There is no trainings for Libre Office or something, and they won't be able to use it after learning how to use MS office, because they are retarded.

Of course there is no reason for you or any savvy person to use it.

There's no competition for Excel

Can we stop pretending every open source project is the effort of an amateur group of neckbeards? The Document Foundation is an organization with hundreds of paid employees.

For basic home users there is. The great myth that has been put on computer users over the last two decades is that your computer must be all things to all men. That Calc can only do 1024 columns doesn't matter to 90% of users who ended up paying for Excel.

There is nothing office can do that libre office can't.

Posting superior Nippon options

They don't need to use microsoft office when any basic non-microsoft text editor will do, but people are very very very stupid, especially anyone who buys enterprise software.

>wordarts

Firstly
youtu.be/VuoVf_9z0DE
justsystems.com/jp/products/ichitaro/

Attached: 81802464-9E77-41C2-9640-97D2DD969A46.jpg (850x400, 140K)

>but what do they look like
It varies the same way it varies between versions of ms office, the simpler they are the closer to the system they were made on they look. More tables and fonts and layouts and so on result in larger differences. This isn't really a problem in most cases, the majority of documents will open in Libreoffice as well as various ms office versions just fine.

I used to work at al electronics shop, and people would buy MS-Office just to write letters. I asked them why they don't just use WordPad, which is already on the system. And he couldn't explain why he wanted it, but still paid all the money for MS-Office. He probably goes to Sup Forums and calls people poorfags.

Or if a software suite is not your speed

youtu.be/3f4coKkg3Mc
kingjim.co.jp/pomera/dm200/

Attached: visual.png (647x394, 308K)

every single time I've opened ANY .docx file that was more complex and structured than one page fairy-tale:

>layout fucked up
>font fucked up
>list symbol totaly fucked up
>got grey squares all over the document

I remmeber back in my early days when I heard that SuSe started cooperating with Microsoft so they distro will have amazing support for MS docs. It was year 2009 and since then no fucking usable output.

I've met many people who used Windows + Linux in virtualbox and every-single-one said the same. Windows sucks I would like to use Linux as my one and only OS but no Word/Excel/PP alternative..... yea no altertive, they were right.

And no you can't use Google Drive, because no one wants to import every fucking doc he gets by mail into drive and then export again.

looks like a MS paint against Photoshop (MS office).
also that bitch came like 4 times during the video

The fucked up layout it totally intentional. You're not meant to be able to open up in other programs.

smooth scroll

see

Google docs is fine for basic stuff. But it's limited in functionality very fast, there's basic formulas it can't use properly. And the ease of use just isn't there. Goal seek isn't available in google sheets without some shitty addon, which is important in break even analysis and general forecasting. And I'm not even that much of a poweruser. Sheets is enough for highschoolers, but anything serious, no. Or you're crippling your sheets and not making them scalable at all.

not to mention that LibreOffice is a direct descendent of Sun's old commercial office suite, StarOffice

Which as I said is totally intentional.

I hope Nadela will change that.
A lot of Ballmer's fucked up philosophy is already gone...

Because no matter how good Libreoffice or any other competing product would get 99% of MS office using tech illiterate normies wouldn't even consider trying them out for no reasons at all.

You are right.
But we just use it to write documents, contracts, CVs etc. It's an IT company after all, we don't need to do anything complex in it. When we want to use larger data, we use CSV and scripts.

People don't use Microsoft Office because it is good, they use it because it has compatibility with Microsoft Office.

>Using a web browser for working with spread sheets
Why do people torture them selves like that?

Because libre office compatibility with OXML sucks, if you work with documents created by your self there is no problem, but, open an Excel spreadsheet in Calc and is a gamble and it sucks most of the time

Microsoft made a good deal when they were on top of the world, gave out Office to schools for free. 20 years later we all know the office suite is Microsoft Office and none other. Industry adoption, buddy, the early worm gets the cheese...
And ofc, good devs. Excel is one hell of a program by itself.

We do, it's called scim. I use it all the time.

What do you want from it? There's nothing current office suits don't do. You have the Apple crap, ms office and Google's solutions.

We do.

Microsoft Office is generally good.

Libre Office is generally good.

iWork is generally good.

>Usually the layout is gone, the fonts are all over the place and any graphics are misplaced and distorted.
I bet you are the kind of retard who spams return a lot and never do anything more with imported images after dragging them around

There is no competition because normies have been using Windows and Office since forever. It is the industry standard, everybody knows how to use it/is used to its interface, also Microsoft is doing everything to keep the status quo.

>We do.
>Microsoft Office is generally good.
>Libre Office is generally good.
>iWork is generally good.

The Calligra Suite is pretty good, too. There sure are alternatives which work fine for about 99% of folks. Many of them free. But obviously nobody gives a fuck...

LibreOffice has the ability to be a great FOSS replacement for Office. The issue with LibreOffice (mostly The Document Foundation) is that they have more of a focus on marketing LibreOffice than developing it. If you compare them to Mozilla, Firefox has great developers but not that good marketing.

I think the development sped up a lot since the 4.0 version, but the translation team is not keeping up.
And i think this is a much bigger problem for the general userbase than lack of features,
however this may be an issue with the polish version only.
LO is great when it comes to backwards compatibility though, i can open documents made on LO4 with LO6 today with zero formatting issues, while i had some formatting bugs (mainly with styles) when opening word 2007 files with word 2016

Do you fuckers even work in the industry? Sup Forums sometimes it's so retarded. Do you even know what's support? Do you think anything opensource has support like a paid product? If some problem emerges, support is obliged to give you support immediately depending on the severity.

>reddit posting
fuckin...

check out wps office. i used it in high schools since i was a good boy and didn't pirate. also, didn't get laid.

It's just Excel, honestly. And even then it's rarely used properly. 99% of wageslaves don't actually use the Windows Excel features and would be fine on "insert free spreadsheet sim here"

>Do you think anything opensource has support like a paid product?
Sure, when the support IS the paid product instead of the software. Look at Redhat.

>support is obliged to give you support immediately depending on the severity
This is definitely not always the case, smaller companies without any directly competing software have no obligation to give you good support because you have to use their software anyway. Then "support" comes in the form of some outsourced poos auto-posting to every ticket to keep their contractual obligation to "respond" to tickets within X days.

Keeping software open source and selling support makes providing good support a real incentive.

/thread

As long as you have basic functionality, what more do you need?

Attached: Screenshot_20180320_114132.png (1920x1080, 154K)

PSPP if you need something better for spreadsheets.

Attached: PSPP.png (1280x1024, 117K)