Why is modern Android so predominately blindingly white everywhere?

Why is modern Android so predominately blindingly white everywhere?
Do they not know how AMOLED phones work?

Attached: android-p-quick-settings.jpg?itok=VWoA1Zpd.jpg (800x600, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

senk9.wordpress.com/2015/05/24/thoughts-amoled-power-consumption-tested-and-explored/
xda-developers.com/how-to-install-pre-release-android-oreo-on-the-att-samsung-galaxy-s7-s7-edge/
theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/08/google-class-action-lawsuit-defective-pixel-smartphones
topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/669430-another-samsung-class-action-says-phones-overheat-explode/
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/15/16889854/pixel-2-xl-lg-display-oled-blue-shift
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it is absolutely baffling that Goog is so against adding a universal dark theme

what ?

Attached: Screenshot_20180320-073738.png (720x1280, 108K)

Custom ROMs don't count

stock samsung rom faggot

I wish LOS would just adopt that new theme engine thing. They're obviously not going to remake the CM theme engine.

Which phone?

samsung a3 2017

How much of an impact on battery is this? I know AMOLED power drain for White is higher but take average "white" apps and compare them to dark themed versions, how many minutes are you going to get back?

you mean substratum?
I messed around with it, it offers more flexibility but is unstable and most importantly not supported by Los natively
back in CM13 you could apply system wide icon packs, themes, navigation bar tweaks on the go. But with substratum you need OMS enabled room, and often needed a soft reboot

It's not an issue for a phone's lifetime. My note 4 is 40 months old and has a lot of browser hours put into it. No mura or loss of brightness present except for a difference in colour temp on the top notice panel. As the mainboard has been replaced, this phone should go 6 years without problem.

100% more per pixel.

Attached: colorvspower1.png (760x531, 26K)

That's an interesting question, since I know that an AMOLED pixel's power draw is directly connected to its brightness (a #000000 pixel would draw zero power), and the screen is one of the biggest power draws of a smart phone, but I haven't seen actual in practice measurements.

And of course, a "dark theme" isn't a standard thing. Some are almost all black, but some are more gray (my ereader for instance), or a dark blue.

At what white point is this being measured?

Nice:

senk9.wordpress.com/2015/05/24/thoughts-amoled-power-consumption-tested-and-explored/

That graphic seems to be total power draw on the phone when the screen was set to display only that color.

They summarize some other findings too:
during times the screen is on, it's responsible for 80-90% of the power drawn
switching to all dark themes in every app leads to around a 50% screen-on battery life

They're trying to be like Apple. I wish I were joking.

Attached: 1519104846172.png (476x477, 256K)

Be abuse you bought the wrong phone.

Samsung master race can easily download a black theme from the galaxy store, Google removes themes from stock android.

Custom themes from Samsung themes doesn't count

It's probably because display glare is so common in smartphones. You can almost use smartphone displays as mirrors when the screen is dark. It's not noticable with white background.

They're trying to make Android phones give a good first impression, so people buy them.

Last I checked everything for the S7 on 7.0 sucked dick.

yeah. the lineage guys should just formally adopt substratum as their new theme engine. it's obvious they're not gonna make their own.

I'm on Oreo on my s8 right now and is just as fast as the Google pixel 2, Can unlock the phone with Google assist and even the Pixel camera works as if was a real Google pixel.

Best of both worlds.

Hope your s7 gets Oreo soon user.

I'm not sure it ever well, because of Treble.

Fortunately I'm getting an S9+ and trading this """undamaged"" (read: burnt in to high hell) S7 in for more than I could get on ebay + a 30% discount on the contract/phone price. Hopefully with Treble and the new battery tech from the S8/Note 8 that doesn't lose 10% a year I'll actually be able to keep this one for a while before it starts slowly dying.

>hurr durr x doesnt count even tought it does.
>it actually is y, not x.
>well, what is y?
>y is z.
>then z doesnt count

Attached: pqafkb6d9ba01.jpg (645x729, 49K)

Because White is Right

I've just read there is a leaked Oreo update for the S7 and here is how he installed it.

xda-developers.com/how-to-install-pre-release-android-oreo-on-the-att-samsung-galaxy-s7-s7-edge/

Good luck user, hope this improves your battery life.

Attached: 70OxHgV_d.jpg (640x480, 10K)

Negro what?

Attached: Screenshot_20180320-155238.jpg (1080x2160, 418K)

It is about a modern Android, presuming "stock Android".

Can you destitute tier days stop posting random ROMs. We're obviously talking about stock Google Android.

Pixel automatically switches to dark theme when you set a dark background.

Kinda, but not really. Also, why not just expose that option instead of forcing a dark background?

>white

It's girls aesthetics

>holo so dark it makes me, strong independent woman at google too scared to use it

Is this available in Samsung Theme Store? I've been looking for a good dark theme for a while now

Stock Android doesn't count because nobody fucking uses one in real life.

maybe they just think light themes make a better default #trolled

White theme for white people.

Thanks user

Better than blue or yellow shit.
Would prefer darker mode like in android 6 tho.
J5 2017 here and it's white.
Friend also has a j5 2017 but his boot animation is white while mine is black.

t. Samsung S6 user

>material design and now with the ugly rounded corner like ios

Change the theme retard

I don't think LineageOS will ever get official substratum because:
>almost all themes are to buy on the Play Store
>themes downloaded on Aptoide or other store doesn't work because of something DRM
>there are no FOSS themes on F-droid
>Is it stable enough?

What?

Attached: Screenshot_20180320-133627.png (720x1280, 63K)

gross

because gothemo grimdark themes are shit, you know it to be true.

I hope they make it all white, blindingly so, for years to come! a nice light grey is fine too.

So?

>black and red
tell us about those school bullies user

Attached: 1515799592131.png (640x464, 334K)

How do amoled phones work?

Like magnets.

damn you must be cool black AND red like a badass

I'm sorry... what?

you heard me faggot tell us about the kids who bully you in school

that dark CM KitKat theme was a dream. now i just use an S3 with Lineage and care way less about phones.

Doesn't Android Oreo have OMS support?
Why don't you just install a Substratum theme?

I didn't have android phone in my school years. Even though, why would anybody bully me because of my phone's theme? You must be really weird to assume that. You probably don't have friends, so take my advice: don't call people faggots because you can get smacked in a face.

Enjoy your inferior hardware.

theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/08/google-class-action-lawsuit-defective-pixel-smartphones

how about you do something about it faggot

Attached: HELP.png (1600x1448, 877K)

Did you just wet your pants?

>black and red theme
>proves to be edgy as shit
POTTERY

Attached: amazon_fedora.gif (300x225, 1.95M)

Ahem.
topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/669430-another-samsung-class-action-says-phones-overheat-explode/

this can't be real

Attached: 1480395481566.jpg (380x354, 26K)

>outdated news

Enjoy your screen lottery.

theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/15/16889854/pixel-2-xl-lg-display-oled-blue-shift

So much for that, Android P is fixing the Substratum exploit. Also DP2 might introduce a dark theme.

I'd be more concerned about the fact that LG made it than a bit of blue shift.
I have the regular HTC P2.

maybe because google knows that dark like my soul theme is complete shit and should die in a trashcan fire? KappaHD

>why the fuck is this white

Why not? What the fuck are you? A white genocide supporter?

>Why is modern Android so predominately blindingly white everywhere?
Because iOS is and of course you have to do everything Apple does or no one will buy your phone.

My sony xperia works like intendedâ„¢

My Galaxy S6

Attached: Screenshot_20180320-095250.png (1440x2560, 178K)

You cant see material design z-depth-shadows on dark backgrounds

Man, Android is a fucking joke. I doubt they'll add a dark theme since I remember Google telling the press that they had no plans to add a dark theme in response to an employee post on their forums.

Wasn't that a misunderstanding?

Get swift for Samsung. Not only does it theme The Samsung ui, it also themes a lot of other apps.

Im using an S5 neo with Marshmallow though

Attached: Screenshot_20180320-151337.png (1080x1920, 213K)

My S6 doesn't have this problem.

Attached: 20180320_16.png (1080x1920, 151K)

I thought Android implemented an official dark theme ages ago. You had to hold down the settings icon in the notification tab to access it. This only applies to true stock Android. If you use shit like TouchWiz or other skins then they remove the feature to make you use their own theme stores.

>Try to use it
>Ask me to create account
>Check privacy policy
>Monitor usage on phone and upload it to Samsung's severs

No thanks

Attached: bugs_not_happy.jpg (250x247, 21K)

If you are using samsung your privacy is already dead.

No white here

Attached: Screenshot_20180320-083145.png (1080x1920, 119K)

This, sadly

I agree user and I hate it so very much.

It's okay to be White

Only NEETs use dark themes because they stay indoors all the time. Actual productive people use light themes so they can see what the fuck is going on while using their phone outside, especially on AMOLED phones.

>willingly buying assmung gulagsy phones
Where did Sup Forums go so wrong?
The appletards I can understand, but this?

Attached: help.gif (300x200, 1.14M)

Not my fault they make the best screen and cameras.

You've never actually used a dark theme, have you? Had you used one, you'd know itsall the same at daytime. Dark is just as readable in sunlight when you have white text

If your using AMOLED, dark themes are harder to see than light themes outside. Less sunlight reflects off the turned off pixels which makes the display harder to see.

>Less sunlight reflects off the turned off pixels
>makes the display harder to see
user-kun, this better be bait

Attached: 1520634829613.gif (487x560, 898K)

>le Apple retard thinks you can't choose the black theme

Attached: Screenshot_20180320-155458.jpg (1080x2160, 354K)

Learn how displays and light works.

Okay, baiter-kun. Now please explain how less sunlight reflecting off of AMOLED makes a display harder to see.

What do you mean (as someone who is recently becoming extremely paranoid about data collection)

Their skin, apps, services, drivers are all proprietary.

Not as fast, as rape your black gaping asshole, you nigger whore.

I have pretty much stock android 8.0 and there is no dark mode on the settings. Everything is eye burning white.
Maybe it's a good thing though, when it's dark you are supposed to sleep, not stare at the phone.

>Not as fast, as rape
If creaming your pissed pants count as a rape then yes. Nothing is as fast as your premature ejaculation.

I think we should all be thankful Google thinks so much about our wellbeing =)

What is the fastest colour?

>2k18
>buying amoled, when godtier TN TFT exists.