Vinyl care

I got this piece of shit on Amazon a few days ago. Not only is it a lot smaller than it looks in the picture (it's only like 4 inches) the bristles are really stiff. It feels like I'm scratching my records when I use it. I just sort of brush of the dust. I tried turning the table on and holding it across the radius of the record but that just leaves a line of dust where ever I stop. Also the bristles are so short that I actually scratch the records with the edge and I left a visible (I'm not sure if audible) scratch.

How am I supposed to take care of these damn things? Are the less fragile than I think they are? Some of my records are original pressings, expensive 180 gram masters, etc and I don't want to scratch them obviously.

What should I do?

Also whats the best way of cleaning them with out either buying a hundred dollar cleaning system or paying the guys at the record store? I tried the wood glue thing but it didn't work.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zQO4iPJYLwE
youtube.com/watch?v=lAdxbEQBSAw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I tried turning the table on and holding it across the radius of the record but that just leaves a line of dust where ever I stop.
Well you're supposed to brush it the fuck off after. How have you not yet figured out the concept of dust accumulation?

but then you scratch the record with the edge of the brush, it's impossible to brush across with out knicking the record some how

fucking retard

I think you're underestimating the strength of the fibers. You can brush perpendicular to them without anything happening.

I don't think you guys understand

maybe I'm not explaining it right

the bristles are too hard I think

but maybe not oh well

Stop being autistic and just brush the fucking record without your retard strength getting in the way.

the fucking needle is literally made of diamonds you fucking nigger, and it has about 1000 times more force at the tip of it than any of those bristles.
use your fucking brain dude

Use it parallel to the record as it's spinning but while slowly moving it to the edge of the vinyl to the dusk falls off the end

>underestimating
you mean overestimating

So you're illiterate too?

are you saying that the brush shouldn't be used, then ?

You're hopeless.

you clearly don't understand how language works

keep trying, this is fun

I major in English. You, you're just an idiot.

Can you believe this guy?

bruh he doesn't understand how a brush works just stop wasting your time

you're wasting a lot of time and money if you're majoring in english and can't even write a coherent sentence.

put your trip back on.

>he can't read post times either
How do you function?

by not being an idiot like you, that's how.

Damn, kid. Good luck doing anything with an English degree

You have no idea how much joy I'm getting out of the image of you staring at the brush in complete bewilderment because you just can't fathom how to use it.
I'm double majoring in Psych, don't worry.

thats how its supposed to be

>You have no idea how much joy I'm getting out of the image of you staring at the brush in complete bewilderment because you just can't fathom how to use it.
Not as much joy as I'm getting from the image of you going to your English classes and pretending you understand what's happening

>I'm double majoring in Psych, don't worry.
K E K

>I'm double majoring in Psychology, don't worry.

You must be majoring in humor as well!

See, if I had made any indication that I was bad at communicating, that might have been a decent retort. As it is, though, you're only further demonstrating your inability to understand basic sentences.
No, but I am a funny dude.

>No

This fuckin guy. The next Adam Sandler here, everybody. I said it first.

>I think you're underestimating the strength of the fibers. You can brush perpendicular to them without anything happening.
OP thinks the fibers are too stiff and scratch the record. You're saying they're even stiffer than OP thought, but somehow don't scratch the record. This logic makes absolutely no sense and I have no idea how you possibly don't understand this contradiction.

If Adam Sandler is a paragon of humor to you, you're already too far gone.

Vinyl is composed of fibers. The brush is composed of bristles. You're a complete moron.

>Vinyl is composed of fibers
[citation needed]

holy none you have actually used the brush correctly
youtube.com/watch?v=zQO4iPJYLwE

>Vinyl is composed of fibers

Like I said, next Adam Sandler

youtube.com/watch?v=lAdxbEQBSAw

>different narrator
I really hate the episodes that don't feature the regular one

>This video calls it fibers
>so it must be fiber and Im so smart for saying
>everyone else is dumb for not knowing
The brushes *bristles* are also *composed* of fibers you retard. The interesting thing is that records are PRESSED, not strung out like a fiber, so *fiber* would be a completely asanine term.

Have you really never heard of cellulose fibers?
>The brushes *bristles* are also *composed* of fibers you retard.
Yeah, but you can't brush perpendicular to the brush itself. Do you really have this much trouble with contextual clues?

it doesn't even call them fibers you autist, did you watch the video?

Yes, the woman says it's coated with a nitrocellulose lacquer.

I'll repeat myself, did you watch the video?

Yes, the woman says it's coated with a nitrocellulose lacquer.

ITT: spergs calling other spergs spergs

Contextual clues don't excuse using the term "fiber" to describe record grooves. As far as anyone is concerned, 2 different sentences in a post on Sup Forums exist in a vacuum, you can't blame anybody for misunderstanding but yourself. I guess English majors teach you grammar, but not common sense

That's for the mold for the master, which is then pressed into the actual vinyl record. Thanks for proving yourself wrong.

What the fuck else besides the nitrocellulose fibers would he be concerned about scratching?

>Some of my records are original pressings, expensive 180 gram masters

Greentexting a scenario doesn't prove you right. Try again.

Come on, use your contextual clues.

>contextual clues
heres part of my post
>As far as anyone is concerned, 2 different sentences in a post on Sup Forums exist in a vacuum
take you're own advice

You pointed out that the nitrocellulose lacquer applied to the "mold for the master." Technically, the master is the mold; there isn't another mold for the master, so the coating is on the master itself. OP stated he owned the masters, so the coating would be on his copies. Regardless, even if OP was mistaken or misspoke, the metal disc would have been encased with either a shellac or polyvinyl biscuit. In both cases, the coating is comprised of fibers, which are what OP would be concerned with scratching.

Obviously OP doesn't actually have 180 gram masters because :
1. Masters aren't made at 180 gram weights because they aren't actual records
2. Masters can't be played on a record player because the grooves are made from soft lacquer, and therefore OP would have no reason to clean them
3. Lacquer masters are discarded after they're used

I'm really doubting that you even watched more than the first minute of the video you posted, or you would have noticed that what OP wrote was a clear error.

why don't you buy a better one you fucking dolt

Wow this thread went full retard quick. Good job for sticking to it lads.

>psychology and english
>spends his time shitposting instead of reading
lmao

My argument is consistent. It's not my fault OP fucked up.

I wasn't aware you were supposed to devote every second of your time to your practice.

It's your fault that you can't infer conclusions from context. If you really were the expert on vinyl records that you seem to think you are, then you would have understood this immediately.

The conclusion I inferred was that OP didn't know how to brush correctly, so I told him how.

>majoring in English.

It is as if you intended on having no job.

Better than having a job I dislike.

But you told him in an intentionally confusing way so you could act superior when you told others that it's their fault for not understanding.

How else would I have phrased it? suggested I say "grooves" instead of "fibers," but that wouldn't have made sense because grooves don't have strength. OP was worried about cutting the fibers (i.e. scratching the vinyl), so I told him he was underestimating their strength.

How about just the strength of the vinyl ? That would have been much more clear.

But brushing perpendicular to a circle (the vinyl) would be brushing tangent to it, which is what OP was already doing.

Brushes aside, i need to get some storage shelfs for my vinyls, or maybe like one of those portable ones. Anyone know where i can find a good one?

Like a record bag i mean.

Use the other side.
It doesn't scratch the record for me

I clean my records with steel wool and paint thinner like everyone told me to. Shit works perfectly. My VG+ copy of David Bowie's ST sounds AMAZING now.

>"180 gram masters"

please die

Vinyl is the material it's made from. How are you over-complicating this so much ? You obviously made an error, and you're going through an incredible amount of effort to make it seem like you didn't.

Why would you need portable storage for you records ? Do you have two different stereo systems at separate locations that you use regularly ?

For DJing

Ah, that makes sense.