What effect did your parents' music taste have on yours?

What effect did your parents' music taste have on yours?

My mom gave me an appreciation for pop

I listened to a lot of cornball 70s pop growing up (Paper Lace, Lobo, the list goes on) but I'm not sure how that affected me if at all

I didn't really appreciate anything they listened to and only got into music (bleeps) in high school. But I admit my dad is pretty patrician, and nowadays I can really enjoy New Order, one of his favorites. He knows a lot about post punk also.

-closeted appreciation for 80s pop a la TFF, The Pesh Mode, Duran Duran, Stock Aitken Waterman shit etc
-The Beautiful South
-Oasis
-Squeeze
-The Smiths
-Spice Girls
-Robbie Williams
-ABBA

all my mum's fault

My dad listens to lots of classical, jazz and some dadrock. I've also got him into some 90s hip hop.
My mum listens to Bowie, Talking Heads, Diana Ross, Van Morrison and various other things. She liked Jeff Buckley a lot when I introduced her to him.

When I was younger I thought my taste was more like my dad's but it's gone the other way.

If I didnt listen to my dad's extensive dad rock collection as a child then I probably never would even get into music

Mom introduced me to Bowie. Dad introduced me to Voivod and Napalm Death.

Absolutely none. I don't listen to any of the music my parents listen to. My mother doesn't even listen to music.

the Beatles
Pixies
The Smiths
Joni Mitchell
Eric Clapton
Bob Dylan
Cocteau Twins

>Voivod and Napalm Death
cool dad desu

>expected dadrock
>entry level jazz
>opera
>piano lessons and encouraged musical habits

nothing special, but hey, i could afford music lessons and they were never tyrannical about what music i could and couldn't listen to. least i could ask for

I thought it was normal for teenagers to get back into the Beatles, and I didn't realize some people never left them.

Also I went through a big The Band phase and at one point thought The Hazards of Love was good.

Also I was named after Bob Dylan so

The Band is severely underrated or at least the first three albums are.

Really got into my dad's CD collection from his college days, especially IRS era REM. Could do without Jimmy Buffett and the stuff he listens to now, though.

Metal and rock are still big parts of my musical tastes. And I was named after Ian Gillan.

Ahh the beautiful south. That's not a band i have heard in a long time.

I agree, but I can't appreciate them from an adult level now. To me they will always be junior/senior year of high school, I wish I had waited til I was older to experience them. God I wish I could listen to Music From Big Pink again.

I have a lot of overlap with my mom but we'll diverge on a more nuanced level. Listening to The Cure in the car definitely rubbed off on me, but she likes the later poppy stuff and I like Faith-era output. She likes New Order but doesn't listen to Joy Division. Loves Talk Talk but didn't even know that Lauging Stock existed. So her tastes were a really formative influence for me but definitely deviated. From Dad I mostly inherited his love for contrapuntal stuff - for him that's mostly Bach but for me it's a broader category

My mom showed me supertramp and Michael jackson

My mom had a small CD/cassette collection that introduced me to a lot of music. Beastie Boys, Nirvana, R.E.M, DMX, and Smashing Pumpkins were some of the stuff I remember her having. After listening to some of her stuff I gained a love for Hip-Hop and a drive to discover new music.

My dad made me think that Pilgrim by Eric Clapton wasn't a terrible album (I still don't think it is)

My dad showed me Yes and Wakeman and I was hooked.

The only music my parents listened to constantly while I was growing up was Latin/Tejano music. My dad didn't listen to anything in particular, but I remember my mom saying she used to be really into Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden, and the sort, she would put November Rain on all the time. The only thing I gotten from them music-wise is a slight guilty pleasure for Selena.

Parents listen to everything from 70s pop to Adult Contemporary. Made me appreciate 70s, 80s, 90s artists. Also got me into rock music

My dad listened to massive amounts of prog rock (yes, Genesis, gentle giant, Bill Buford)
He got me into pink Floyd, and a bunch of really technical jazz artists.

My mom listened to the cure, red hot chili peppers, steely Dan, and a lot of fucking great old school indie groups

So I really fell in love with a vast array of sounds.
Now my mom listens to the worst music to exist, like three doors down and horrible linkin park songs

My dad now listens to my favorite genre with me, which is math rock.

Decent outcome

Mom was a Black Crows groupie, no joke. Never got to her man Chris Robinson, I don't think.

Da was too cool, loved Neil Young & Paul Simon, out hipped me on some Radiohead in his heyday.

ha, I was named after Ian Curtis...

My mom likes oldies. My dad likes country. Neither one liked the Beatles after Rubber Soul.

If anything, my musical tastes evolved despite them.

>The Pesh Mode
is this a meme or do you actually not know it's Depeche Mode?

Last I knew my dad listened to Classic Rock and pretty entry level Heavy/Thrash Metal, with a tiny, tiny bit of R&B and New Wave sprinkled in. His favorite artist is Ozzy. So yeah, he's pretty crazy about music from the 80s. Haven't talked to him in a few years, so who knows what he listens to now. He did get me into Type O Negative tho, so that's pretty cool.

My mom is a lot more open minded. She listens to pretty much everything except Extreme Metal and some of the more sexist Hip-hop. When I was a kid, I remember her playing the Eurythmics, Susanne Vega, Laurie Anderson, and the Reggae group Third World a lot. She's the one that really pushed me to expand my horizons when it came to music.

My parents weren't big on classic rock, so never got into that as a kid. Don't think they really impacted my taste at all.

My parents just listen to confederate folk aka country so about nil

Quite a lot. My parents listened to a lot of 80's alternative, so naturally I'm inclined to like Shoegaze and other 80's alt sounding genres

>The pesh mode

My Dad likes shoegaze and dream pop, and now so do I.

My dad was heavy into krautrock and other experimental rock when I was very little, so I guess that always kept me open minded about music. He's into avant garde jazz, idm, and of course his dadrock which can be good as well. It's nice, it's something I can easily talk to him about.

And forgot to mention my mom, she's mainly into pop, but I've gotten her into some accessible indie stuff like NMH, The Microphones, early Modest Mouse, Swans, some electronic stuff.

i listened to a lot of brazilian shit when i was little, stuff i didn't care for that much. One day my mom puts a guns 'n roses greatest hits on the cd player and i loved the shit out of it. But today i listen to almost everything she used to listen. If it wasn't for my mom jamming guns 'n roses that day i would be listening to brazilian shit tier music. Thanks Ma, love you

My dad likes prog, but for the wrong reasons. He loves the hook based Yes songs and the shorter Pink Floyd songs. I've played Echoes and Close To The Edge (song) for him and he thinks they are too weird.
Anyone here have siblings who had good taste? My sister was into a lot of the 90's indie stuff. She listened to Neutral Milk Hotel, Modest Mouse, Elliot Smith, Fleet Foxes, etc..

One of these things is not like the others.

i grew up listening almost exclusively to pop punk/ alt rock from the early 90's to 2000 era.

i think that's why i'm so susceptible to indie schlock

My sister listens to early 2000's mylifesucksparentsdontunderstandilistentorealmusic-core. Linkin Park, Eminem, Gorillaz and the like.

my moms husband got me into kendrick

Good country is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, it's white soul, direct from the God's own hymns.

Was/is it bad country, user?

What Swans? Idk I mean she isn't into the heavy stuff like Filth or Cop, but she likes The Seer and White Light.

My dad is a huge audiophile. Built a several thousand dollar speaker system when I was 7. That got my interest in sound and production going that I might not have otherwise.
Pretty terrible taste though. He always plays Bruno Mars and Dire Straits ridiculously loud on the speakers

my parents were into a lot of 80's and 90's alt rock. They met at a Pixies concert. Got me into Radiohead, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, 80s new wave that kind of stuff. My gramps on my dad's side was into stuff like Led Zep, Doors, Pink Floyd and Hendrix. Mom's side was into classic country. Lots of rock music around growing up.