Why are smartphones with actual buttons so goddamn rare? You cannot buy them with a plan...

Why are smartphones with actual buttons so goddamn rare? You cannot buy them with a plan, and always have to import them, usually from Japan

I was genuinely pondering getting an Xperia Play and rooting it, but at that point I might as well just buy a Pandora or a PSP

I mean, there is this huge renaissance of emulation, and nobody, not even some tiny Chinese company tried to get in on it?

Attached: 109408-games-news-feature-sony-ericsson-xperia-play-the-games-image1-MoRTYxNdsP.jpg (970x647, 194K)

It's true, but at least Bluetooth controllers exist and most Android games and emulators are compatible with them.

>they dont make android phones with full slide-out qwerty keyboards
Why? It would make playing game boy games on the loo pure perfection.

Ah yes, let me just pull out my phone and clip on this bad boy

Attached: 2.jpg (300x300, 21K)

Attached: catstare.gif (320x240, 834K)

Wrong board faggots the gay men board is over here

>renaissance of emulation
Didn't it end with PSP?

WHERE!? HOW MUCH!?

How is it there, in 2008?

I just google "smartphone dualshock"

Comfy, fun, looking forward towards the future.

PPSSPP has a blackberry port IIRC

Nah, it got another boom recently due to RetroArch, improved emulators for PSX, N64 and Saturn, and cheap, easily available hardware such as the Raspberry Pi.

Sadly, on the portable end, there's nothing big, there was some hype on the RS-97 due to Dingux support but it is pretty much a sidegrade over the PSP, with the 3DS and the Vita lacking enough interest to get custom, tweaked emulators for them.

That Bruce Lee game was fun

I will not buy them with a plan
I will not buy them from japan
I will not buy them Sam I am

You can run retroarch on Android

Except the PSP has a landscape display but BlackBerries are held portrait.

user...

Attached: gpd_xd_5-inch_32gb_android_4.4.4_game_tablet_zp3020820510002_1.jpg (1024x1024, 106K)

I played Crash on a display Ericsson at Best Buy once. Was pretty cool I guess. Maybe I was more easily impressed back then.

Dragonbox Pyra

Attached: ProtoFull.png (839x741, 625K)

I miss 90's tech phase that used transparent plastic. I would get a new thinkpad in a hearbeat.

Why did they stop using transparent plastic?

Fads come and go I guess?

Last time I checked Aliexpress were selling Xbox cases from a 3rd party. Never indulged on it after that.

vee

I had an Xperia Play when I was 13. Don't get it. It's one of the worst phones I've ever used. Even at whatever bargain price it's at now, it's useless. It stutters on the most basic of games. DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON THIS.

>business laptop
>transparent plastic

do not get an xperia play
shit's underpowered as fuck, even for the time of release

this is the best you'll get, and it has L2/R2 and L3 R3, but it's not really an android gamepad, it's more like for moonlight.

Attached: 12452356347.jpg (5482x2948, 590K)

I hope Switch gets emulators soon. Would justify a purchase

Fuck this fucking piece of shit had to fucking get three of these and they were all complete shit

Hmm?

Attached: IMG_7895.jpg (3504x2336, 3.28M)

Those things are unfathomably weak spec-wise (literally and mathematically WORSE than a Raspberry Pi 3B) and they cost well over $700 USD or some shit.

This is what happens when you embrace le open source meme.

play had huge problem with the ribbon cable breaking (even mine did it after 4 months)

>2008 was 10 years ago
What the fuck. WAKE ME UP

how is that? im thinking of getting one for my pixel 2 xl. does it have r2? wb r3?

and what model is that?

Why use space for buttons when you can use it for muh resolution?

Model PLEASE:)

Yeah, I used mine for 3 years and had to change it twice. Third time i couldn't find a replacement. Still have it collecting dust somewhere. Really good emulation on that phone, Sony could've expanded on the concept.

People are retarded and think touchscreens and vibration motors are a good substitute for buttons

But less likely individual button failure migh be a reason. Less moving parts.

They are not good substitutes for buttons
They never will be
We didn't throw out all of our cables because wireless charging existed
We never should've accepted touchscreens for physical keyboards

I literally bought an Xperia Play last week and rooted/flashed CWM. If you want to run anything below PSP than it's good. But the battery life without an extended battery is abysmal

Did Sony patent this design and never use it again or something? This is the only smartphone design I have ever seen that actually strikes the balance between being a normal ass non-autistic phone when folded up, and when unfolded can be used for gaming.

Walking around with a dualshock is impractical for an adul, and the same applies to having goofy buttons on each on end of the phone (with analog sticks sticking out in the pocket). Xperia Play's design needs to be recapitalized on.

*adult

Nah. Did you know the wiiu can play every nintendo game except 3ds and obviously switch.

>bluetooth controllers for android
Enjoy your input lag

That phone has more ram than storage, but I still want one

REally can you please tell me the model for that? It looks alot nicer than the ones on amazon

found it. CamRom

nice autism-box user, but OP was asking about smartphones

I would kill for an updated version of this with stock Android
Was my first smartphone and comfy as fuck.

Attached: htc-desire-z.jpg (800x640, 78K)

I think the G2 will go down quietly as one of if not the best early android phone.

Reminder that the Vita is the goat handheld. I've got 512gb of storage without having to use a flash cart. I can play everything up to 4th gen including some vintage PC games, PS1 PSP and Vita games, and remote play games from my PC and hacked PS3 and PS4. Only stuff I can't play is on my 3DS which doesn't matter since that's portable too.

Gpd pocket with epsxe and an Xbox controller makes for a comfy portable gaming device.

Attached: 9C21A4EB-839D-4B78-96AA-D8F4B5EABE7A.jpg (3724x2096, 1.47M)

pretty comfy desu

Get the new black berry with a keyboard. That phone is a Sony Xperia play. GPD makes great devices like this. If u want the best device out like this right now get a Moto phone with the gamepad, it's basically a switch with Android on it

Best phone reporting in. I'd kill for a modern remake with a 5 inch screen.

Attached: 20180321_222417.jpg (2560x1440, 1.21M)

Well since we are on the topic. I bought a GameSir t1s and there's noticeable input lag. For RPGs and stuff like that it doesn't bother me but if I try to play a platformer or a shooter it fucks me up. Is that just normal BT lag? I have tested it on several devices except on a PC.

Attached: images.jpg (384x384, 11K)

Are there Hits models with the OLED screens still being sold?

Yeah, but probably not new.

the keyones pretty good for emulating as you can use all the keys in emulators, i like it for gameboy games especially

Attached: device-mercury-med.png (235x478, 115K)

Not pulling out an iPhone gives you the same social stigma.

Do you have autism?

>tough phones typically had physical buttons
>slowly and surely going for the bezel-less and no buttons trend

God damn it, I fucking hope Kyocera doesn't bitch out and puts out an upgraded Duraforce Pro.

Attached: duraforce-pro.png (1200x630, 1.16M)

Do you, droidcuck?

Jobs forced the aluminum unibody meme

>Did Sony patent this design and never use it again or something?

This isn't unusual for Sony.

BlackBerries have 1:1 displays so it doesn't really matter.

Only the Passport, and didn't even run Android.

If you want something like a UMPC with a keyboard, the Gemini PDA is pretty good. If you want controls for video games, There's the GPD Win 1 and there's a 2 on the way.

I really wanted the Xperia Play when it came out. It still seems pretty cool to me. I'd love for something like that to be made again. I used to think there was no hope, but we're seeing a rise in mobile gaming as well as a lot of recent umpc-like indiegogo campaigns, so I think it'd be feasible to release something like the Xperia Play today.

You have to consider the cost of things besides just the SoC if you're comparing it to the Pi. Also, it's been in development forever and AFAIK they've never changed the guts. Tech ages fast.

Passport, Q5, Q10, Classic, P'9983, all BB10OS phones with keyboards have 1:1 displays. And no shit it didn't run Android, a BB10OS port was being discussed.

What phone are you using?

It has one.
It's called Yuzu but it's in its early stages still

Just hop on moto z train and get a mod

I heard there is a homebrew launcher already for the low firmware
Only a matter of time until retroarch gets ported

Root ya phone? Crikey where do ya stick ya fuckin dick? Just kiddin ya proofer cunt i know ya shove it up yer arse.

Attached: aussie.jpg (900x900, 66K)

only around normies, and even then who cares? I get the last laugh when they're sucked and cucked into their proprietary botnets

Emulating on a phone is ass anyway. The real deal is emulating on smart TVs or set-top boxes.

it'll even be ready in about
>two months(tm)
(sarcasm, for those unaware of its lengthy development)
akshually, the dudes had a decently detailed overview of the costs, IIRC it was in the mid-6-figures in terms of dev costs.
The dudes highlighted that they could've done it faster, but it'd be more expensive, due to the realities of PCB test runs and such.
Main guy ain't even making any real money off of it IIRC, so he's doing the coordination as a hobby.
As the old project management saying goes: features, price, time. Pick two.

why are you blaming others for your illness?

I know this feel user.

Attached: 1520555890895.png (1127x685, 37K)

Holy crap, that was my first smartphone ever. That brings me back. must be near a decade now?
It's all beaten, scratched, smudged, chipped, the battery is kind of feeble now, the android system it came with is outdated...
... but it still works like a charm, either way. Despite everything. Everytime one of my actual cellphones broke, while I waited for them to be repaired or something I'd use xperia play to get by, and it's not that bad.

The games kept me entertained, even. Especially Crash Bandicoot. (granted, some of the phone's outsiders damage is due to a mix of anger issues and that game, but that's besides the point)

Looks like Bounabay Wee but it isn't that one exactly, that goes for $40. But if you search Wee gamepad on Aliexpress you can find similar ones.

Gamejoy and PhoneVice look similar too, and there's the moto mod too ofc but I don't think that's the moto Mod. Which one is it?

buttons are like so 50s gramps wake up its 2017