Is Microsoft trying to destroy Linux?

Is Microsoft trying to destroy Linux?

Attached: microsoft influencing linux.jpg (1169x738, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

opensource.org/node/901
techcrunch.com/2016/11/16/microsoft-joins-the-linux-foundation
open.microsoft.com/2017/09/26/microsoft-joins-open-source-initiative
internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3720371/Torvalds Still Keen On GPLv2.htm
zdnet.com/article/ballmer-i-may-have-called-linux-a-cancer-but-now-i-love-it/
zdnet.com/article/microsoft-and-canonical-partner-to-bring-ubuntu-to-windows-10/
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2009/07/linus-torvalds-microsoft-hatred-is-a-disease/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Microsoft is trying to stay relevent.

>holds 95% of the desktop OS market
>holds 85% of the laptop OS market
>not relevant

buy an ad bryan

I'd like to interject for a moment.

Still waiting for the update that removes the tablet option for desktop PCs

Embrace Extend Extinguish

I didn't know about Linux a few years ago, now I see normies on campus using Ubuntu. If I were Microsoft, I would want to keep 95% of the desktop market rather than lose like 5% or whatever it would lose if this keeps up.

This.

That so many Linux devs are on board with this is baffling to me.

don't think they are big enough to try that on the kernel.
and anyway, isn't the gpl robust enough to prevent that? the kernel already has a lot of other companies committing to it, are they too trying to EEE it?

SystemD is literally Red Hat doing exactly that. And we all know who Red Hat's #1 customer is.

Meanwhile, in the free world.

Attached: CopyQ.th2166.png (680x160, 158K)

Honestly I was just shitposting. EEE happens, but it needs to be in an area where Microsoft has a supermajority of the market already, like games (and historically, browsers). For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft tried to get some Vulkan extensions that only supported Windows, but even then I don't think they'd move all the way to "Extinguish", just "make cross-platform development a pain in the ass so that people just target the largest market share platform, windows".

It's just a marketing stunt.
Those unwilling to think will be sucked in and then then they will be hooked on MS meth

Hitler?

>think this was a made up buzzphrase by Linux neckbeards
>turns out it was literally what Microsoft called their policy

Haha oh wow.

Servers.

Everyone knows it's from leaked Microsoft memos, that's why it's such a widely recognized phrase.

Yeah, no shit.

fpbp

>most websites are accessed by mobile devices
>most normies stopped buying desktop PCs
>desktop OS market still relevant much

Yeah, they're kinda trying to stay relevant in a now niche market. Most normies don't care for desktop computers anymore.

Which means linux is even less significant than you thought. I basically doesn't exist for the huge majority of users.

>Red hat
Clearly Stalin

Microsoft can't EEE shit in the server world. In fact they have been forced to adopt tons of shit from the Linux server ecosystem to stay relevant.

*It basically doesn't exist

Embrace, extend and extinguish.

Attached: 1521026725828.png (1074x846, 287K)

Meanwhile in reality.
>I may make jokes about Microsoft at times, but at the same time, I think the Microsoft hatred is a disease. I believe in open development, and that very much involves not just making the source open, but also not shutting other people and companies out. There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
>Linus

Attached: 1517757425807.jpg (1619x2024, 1.45M)

>but also not shutting other people and companies out.
Which is what MS excel at. How naive is this man?

> In fact they have been forced to adopt tons of shit from the Linux server ecosystem
Re-read that within the context of EEE.

opensource.org/node/901

Attached: 1521509885084.jpg (1500x2000, 316K)

techcrunch.com/2016/11/16/microsoft-joins-the-linux-foundation

Attached: 1521507121837.jpg (368x316, 34K)

>In some ways, Linux was the project that really made the split clear between what the FSF is pushing which is very different from what open source and Linux has always been about which is more of a technical superiority instead of a — this religious belief in freedom.
>Linus

Attached: 1521329141129.jpg (500x760, 37K)

>Which means linux is even less significant than you thought
Nope.

See, the websites that are accessed by those mobile devices as well as the mobile devices run Linux (one GNU or whatever Linux, the other Android Linux). The vast majority of users doesn't have to understand that they are using Linux or TCP/IP or you name it for it to actually BE relevant, it's still what runs the show.

And also smaller extremely important user bases of course. Stock markets, national supercomputers, most science projects, big data, big processing yadda yadda. All basically Linux.

open.microsoft.com/2017/09/26/microsoft-joins-open-source-initiative

Attached: 1521509698706.jpg (1240x771, 100K)

internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3720371/Torvalds Still Keen On GPLv2.htm

zdnet.com/article/ballmer-i-may-have-called-linux-a-cancer-but-now-i-love-it/

Attached: 1521510118970.jpg (460x276, 25K)

>[email protected]
you can't make that acronym up lol

In a nutshell, Tovalds doesn't like the anti-tivoization clause of GPLv3 because it would lock his kernel out of tivoized devices.

zdnet.com/article/microsoft-and-canonical-partner-to-bring-ubuntu-to-windows-10/

Attached: 1521507843821.gif (320x240, 629K)

>Re-read that within the context of EEE.

I see what you're saying, but again, the Extinguish step only works if they are already in a dominant or at least highly competitive position. If Microsoft extended, say, HTTP, trying to leverage there control of their browser and server OS, they'd fail. No one would target it because it would only work with a small set of browsers and servers.

Nah, it's just neckbeard conspiracy theories.

Attached: 1521507761041.jpg (630x500, 69K)

I replied to the post that talked about windows dominance on the desktop OS market.

Not sure why you're telling me things I already know. Yea sure, most servers and mobiles run some version of the linux kernel, but that wasn't the subject of my reply or the post I was replying to.

Lunduke said it pretty well: they're buying influence. And when you go to a linux expo and wonder why Microsoft is the headliner, you know it works. Good old EEE.
>you woun't bite the feeding hand

Their enterprise shit like tfs, sql server, sharepoint, active directory is shit tier over open source alternatives
Now theyre shifting focus on opensource, like sql server on linux, vs code, azure

That's right Linus, shill out that prepared social media bullshit and take your pot of gold.

Fuck off and die you corporate cock sucking parasite.

They know they lose developers, who simply prefer GNU/Linux, so they made the WSL and Azure to stay relevant beyond normie users they already have (simply because the computers came shipped with windows).
Windows is dying and that's their last fight. Beware of this tricky company, don't forget the past.

yes

Attached: ACPI.jpg (907x237, 105K)

Loonix does a pretty good job of that by itself.

Attached: 1498437165481.jpg (1000x4600, 1.42M)

> Loonix does a pretty good job of that by itself.
Loonix is a kernal.

>Exclusion and hatred
>While discussing FOSS
I hope this is just an exaggeration.

I was 7 years old when this was used internally at Microsoft. That was 23 years and 2 CEOs ago.

Now I work for Microsoft in the Azure org. In my personal opinion, Microsoft's sudden love for Linux and open source makes sense because Microsoft wants to make money and Microsoft wants to hire good developers.

When someone runs a Linux VM on Azure, we make money. If we only supported Windows, we would reduce our potential market share by more than half immediately; it would be impossible to compete on price or reliability if potential customers had massive barriers to migration from other providers to our service. At Azure, Linux isn't our competitor; it's core to many of the services we offer, services that make us money.

We would also find it difficult to compete if we drove away the majority of potential engineers. I have a coworker on my team that mostly develops on OSX, and though I'll never understand that choice, it doesn't matter because we only work on platform-agnostic JavaScript and C#/.NET Core.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything disrespectful of Linux at work. It seems like most of us just don't see it as a dogmatic us vs. them battle. Operating systems are tools, not sports teams.

>Loonix does a pretty good job of that by itself.
Cancer scribbled in red surely confirms it, thanks man.

> hey look Microsoft developed hyper-v drivers for Linux.
The state of Sup Forums.

>acting like open source was first and free software is just some new, impractical shit
Master of strawman or stupid, can't tell.

MS could curbstomp linux if they made windows open sores. The only reason they're no doing it is so that there won't be a bajillion chink and cyka bljat rootkit forks flying around the net, infecting everything.

I meaaaaan Ubuntu should still be included for average users. Other then that, yeah that's pretty accurate. If you're into Linux enough to notice an obscure remix distro, you are probably knowledgeable enough to install whatever packages come with that said distro.

Microsoft is a company.

A company has no feelings.

A company doesn't love.

A company is a greedy monster.

A company's goal is profit.

Redditor spacing intentional.

means fuck all when you consider that desktop market is losing ground like crazy. they want that delicious server share

>networth ~ $600,000,000,000
>trying to stay relevant

You are literally delusional

they just want it to work properly on azure

that's a good pasta bait. i think i'll use it.

>before microsoft "donations"
>after microsoft "donations"
What a change in attitude. What really sucks is that you almost tell he's going to be the one that eventually "sells out" to Microsoft and essentially hands them the means to extinguish (or control) Linux kernel development. However it goes down, I have a feeling this will be the deciding event in determining just how rock solid the GPL licenses actually are.

Attached: 1518692791446.jpg (530x762, 95K)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that.

>facebook is worth billions
>losing billions because unwise business moves
I don't think you understand how markets work.

The quote predates Microsoft joining Linux Foundation. He said that related to
>Microsoft contributed Hyper-V drivers to the Linux kernel in order to improve the performance of running virtualized Linux guests in a Windows host environment
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2009/07/linus-torvalds-microsoft-hatred-is-a-disease/

>fuck those freedom terrorists
>muh market share

What Linux really needs is Microsoft platform support.

Attached: 1521510317984.jpg (460x276, 20K)

Attached: 1521468354680.jpg (3476x2048, 397K)

Just because microsoft supports or creates open source project doesn't mean they're free of all scrutiny. I don't like telemetry collection. Call me paranoid, but fuck all that bullshit. No open ports for me.

>stay relevent
>not relevent
>not != stay
What is your argument? Also, they push their surface laptablet. Not desktops. When you buy a laptop, the manufacturers purchases the windows license, which they pass on to you.

funny thing is
the linux subsystem doesn't even have linux in it
it's more like GNU/NT

RMS just have to sue microsoft for misused word.

When has it not been trying to destroy linux?

>choices are a bad thing
man you must be a microsoft shill. I'd say you were an apple shill, but if you were you would have told me.

>which they pass on to you.
More specifically, that cost is passed on to the malware makers, whose products are then passed on to you as preinstalls.

>this thread
>for the nth time
jfc, Sup Forums, you people are obsessive, retarded and easily triggered by this shit. people post this over and over again, and you will respond every fucking time

FSF domestic terrorist group when?

Would he sue? Being litigious seems like it would go against his beliefs.

Corporations are people.
Do you even republican?
>Also, pizza is a vegetable.

See The problem here is that they won't be able to do this. They might be able to run a few big distros into the ground, and maybe everything that uses systemd, but in the end we'll just keep forking along with hobbyist stuff like we always have. Modern GNU/Linux distros are such bloated trash that we almost need a clean slate anyways. That's where something like Alpine Linux comes in. Then we pick a WM and a few programs we like a bundle it all into a new DE with a nice little login manager and stuff and just like that, Micropenis is back to square one.

The worst they can even do is cause some minor setbacks and force the OSS community to reevaluate the way we do things, and how we shouldn't centralize development or programs. Easy peasy.

Embrace, Extend, Destory
This is windows business strategy

Attached: lain disconnect.gif (500x357, 1020K)