I am calling it, this will be remembered as the pinnacle of Autechre and IDM as a whole

I am calling it, this will be remembered as the pinnacle of Autechre and IDM as a whole.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/telefontelaviv/status/735653777449967616
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

sure why not
my aotysf
but my opinion means fucking nothing

That'll only happen if Autechre never release another album. Your prediction is very pessimistic, OP. You're basically saying Sean and Rob will die this year.

""""""""""""idm""""""""""""
also fuck off they will make better albums next year
kys

bit harsh senpai

yeah i was
but calling it the pinnacle of autechre is immature
even if they died the loads of shit they have locked away will probably make elseq seem like childs play

give them more credit,yeah

>"IDM"

douche chills

haven't listened to the new album yet but if they've managed to top exai I'll be surprised

It's their boldest and hardest listen but IDK if it's their best, Confield blazed the trail and they have yet to make something as radical

i would be thrilled if they could somehow fully extricate themselves from that stupid ass term 2bh. this album doesn't even sound like most so-called "idm"

OP here, I've gotten more out of every one of my first 3 listens of this album than I have out of any listen to any of their other albums.

Also using "IDM" was mostly pragmatic but also reply-bait to kick the thread off

>if they've managed to top exai I'll be surprised
They have, but I wasn't surprised at all. They always find new ways to top their previous shit.

but what if Pitchfork gives it a 6/10
how will they survive

They haven't sounded like IDM since LP5. I think they'd fit in much better with the experimental scene than IDM, but that won't happen as long as they're on Warp.

I'm sure the boys will be distraught

"pitchfork be bad"

i love the album with all my heart but confield being so "revolutionary" was more of a contextual/cultural thing, honestly. i mean, musically speaking it wasn't so different from the stuff that ppl were putting out on r-n or mego (or hell, even the very early experimental electronic music). it was just the fact that these warp darlings - the guys who made amber for christsakes - had totally disregarded their targeted audience and made something so far removed from their other work.

that doesn't take away from the album tho imo.

Sincerely feel like elseq is totally the album that is completely revolutionary as is described. Autechre has never done anything where the breadth of each track is this deep, where it is almost totally unknowable. After a few listens you know exactly what to expect on anything on Confield, but with this it seems like It could take many many listens and it will be hard to predict anything going on on "elyc6 0nset." Not to say there is something inherently superior there it is just something I prefer a lot.

I mean there's not too much difference between Confield and elseq IMHO
elseq is just on a grander scale is all

Seem significantly different to me. Only some textural elements seem similar but besides that the style feels in a totally different realm. The repeated chord patterns would not fit at all in elseq

>The repeated chord patterns would not fit at all in elseq
...but elseq is full of them hahahaha
3-5 are chock full of them
and elcyc more or less, it'll hold for like a few minutes and then a different pattern comes in

are post-minimalism and/or totalism factors in elseq? also it seems very aleatoric throughout or am i just imagining this?

in general i think it's more difficult than ppl think to make music that's totally radical or entirely novel in this day and age, so i've stopped trying to appraise music based on that criteria. what i can say about confield and elseq is that while listening to both for the first time i was often caught of guard, and that in itself is an accomplishment imo. but i don't think anything will ever effect me in the way that confield did when first i heard it 4 years ago, so ia with you.

>made something so far removed...
ill never get this, its the logical step after ep7 and the peel sessions, its not far removed at all

>are post-minimalism and/or totalism factors in elseq?
I thought they were but apparently the RYM community doesn't know those words
>also it seems very aleatoric
the boys would say "no, algorithms aren't chance/random" but I would say yes

well, that's true, but ep7 and peel session 2 did still place a major emphasis on rhythms that followed patterns that were easier to grasp. ep 7 was especially super rooted in hip-hop with regards to where the beats were placed. confield seemed to abandon such (easily identifiable) influence.

what's the difference/progression in style between Exai, Ae_Live, and Elseq1-5?

Exai was a lot more coherent rhythmically, less playing with meter.
Elseq is a lot more based on drone and/or postminimal ideas

haven't heard AE Live yet

I don't know about pinnacle, but it will definitely be remembered as one of their best and most diverse works. The first album has alone has more diversity in sound than any other in their discography and it only gets wackier from there.

besides Confield********

elyc6 0set needs more love. That track is the first one eever that literally felt like a roller coaster to me. It doesn't evoke much emotion but it leaves me completely baffled. It's like a song that gets destroyed constantly until you get used to the destruction, but then it shoots off completely again.

honestly I think it's the best IDM track I've ever heard

>idm
mate, this thread is a safe space from that acronym (despite op). god bless.

yeah by the end is sounds like a Ryoji Ikeda track

That's not how you spell mesh cinereaL though.

what makes Elseq so significant is how it subverts Ae's usual formula. Instead of a linear progression from order to chaos, the tracks on Elseq are all long enough to morph back and forth between the two.

It's also cool because for a lot of the tracks, overtly musical structures seem to exist only to provide a sense of progress for their increasingly architectural sound design.

Lots of people say that Ae is abstract, but if anything, they're the exact opposite: their music calls to mind all sorts of shapes and colors and spaces.

>overtly musical structures seem to exist only to provide a sense of progress for their increasingly architectural sound design

How so? Example?

yeah i was pretty hesitant to vote towards those secondary genres/descriptors. anyway thanks for confirming my thoughts.

This was one of their weakest releases ever. It's pretty much jamming and calling it a day.

wut r u on m8

all over the place, but especially on 5. eastre is another good example; simple chord change that gets warped by the "effects" behind it

Aleatoric doesn't mean random, it just means it isn't predictable since it isn't being directly played by a human.

Quaristice is more diverse than Confield

no multiple hour release will EVER be remembered as the pinnacle of any genre simply because of its inaccessibility, regardless of how right or wrong that may be

if this was cut down to the best hour of highlights possible, it still wouldn't, however. it came 15-20 years after IDM was "in". name another album that came that far after the genre's height and is still considered the pinnacle.

Anyone else loling @ Fact giving more promo to this release than Warp?

exai

Nah, c'mon mate. I'm not the guy you're responding to but it's all about context and timing and how stuff fits in with the zeitgeist. So the "pinnacle" would either be in the nineties when "IDM" was fresh and a new phenomenon, or in the early 00's when it started to define itself as it's own entity - fully moving away from the stylistic origins of Detroit techno and UK club music. That's nothing against the quality of Exai, but it had no cultural significance.

absolutely in love with this release, after a few listens it definitely doesn't feel like 4 hours.

I am calling it, this will not remembered as the pinnacle of Autechre and IDM as a whole.

nah
there have been rumors circulating for a few years now that sean and warp are on the outs. warp thought they could strongarm ae into making music a little more trap-influenced for the new generation. rob was up for it but sean put his foot down and caused a bit of a ruckus at warp HQ. apparently the police got involved but no arrests were made.

twitter.com/telefontelaviv/status/735653777449967616

yeah its weird, pitchfork barely touched it and warp's forgotten they've released the damn thing
makes me wonder how different their promotion would be if they were on mego

i knew there was a reason i preferred rob. fuck that wanker sean to be desu senpai i've been waiting for an autechre trap album for years

aren't they pals with rehberg?

Based

>you might've got tom to make brosteppy edm bollocks but we're not having a bit of that.
>*snaps fingers and points towards the door*
>rob, we're leaving.