I can't for the life of me understand why someone would choose Gentoo over Arch

I can't for the life of me understand why someone would choose Gentoo over Arch.

Arch simply put just works, Gentoo does not.

Portage is a joke.

Attached: index.jpg (340x148, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance#Partial_upgrades_are_unsupported
raptorcs.com/TALOSII/
bpaste.net/show/0b88800ec871
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Can't install Arch on Talos computers.

I can't for the life of me understand why someone would choose Arch over Gentoo.

Arch simply put is lazily made "minimal" garbage, Gentoo is not.

Pacman is a joke.

This, the AUR is too

AUR is a joke made by the unfunny clowns over at Arch Linux Inc (tm).

Get over yourself hackerman

Attached: hackerman.jpg (1920x1079, 175K)

Use Parabola GNU+openrc+Linux-libre for true freedom!

Gentoo: complex package manager, competent developers. Actually stable as shit by default.
Arch: shit software due to "KISS minimalism" principles and other autism, developers are assholes who are never at fault when shit breaks, community and fanboys are retarded. Unstable software only.

Attached: arsch linux.png (1920x1080, 98K)

Attached: 1493571335282.jpg (1660x1940, 924K)

Fedora is #1, but this board tries way to hard.

>principles and other autism
You do realise that compiling everything yourself like a lonely loner who hasn't seen the light of day in a fortninte is the very definition of autism, right?

I get an OS because I need to have an OS on my computer, not because I want to sit day in and day out compiling shit.

Without Gentoo your life is meaningless. I mean what would you do if you had nothing to compile? Probably kill yourself.

>Arch breaks meme
Never had Arch break on me, stop being a retard.

Waiting for a compile > having a """KISS""" system that doesn't do anything itself and constantly breaks
Even the official wiki mentions that updates often break shit

>Update every single minute
Stop being retarded and update only stuff known to work.

>too bleeding edge isn't a valid argument for why it's not used in enterprise

???

>he LITERALLY is afraid of updating his system
You just cant make this shit up

When you need an application

Arch:
pacman -S "packagename"

Gentoo:
emerge --ask "nameofpackagegroup"/"nameofpackage"
And I must not forget to add the correct USE flags.
What USE flags do I nee for this? Better google it.
etc. etc. etc.

Get. A. Life.

>Portage is a joke.
Name a package manager that does what portage does.

>install Arch on my Intel m3 based, fanless 2-in-1 laptop
>takes 20 min to install
>updates take seconds
>everything works and is fast
Glad I didn't melt my computer doing some pointless compiling for several hours.

>Not being reckless and retarded equals being afraid

Attached: 1495445293535.jpg (1000x922, 60K)

Portage is the best package manager I've ever used.

Sounds like a lot of user error

>>emerge --ask "nameofpackagegroup"/"nameofpackage"
You can almost always use just the program#s name
>And I must not forget to add the correct USE flags.
>What USE flags do I nee for this? Better google it.
Bait or are you actually retarded?

Both

>pointless compiling
You get a 2% boost

Attached: Screenshot-2018-3-20 Frequently asked questions - ArchWiki.png (1680x143, 25K)

With Gentoo you'd have to make the soil yourself.

Sure, using an excavator called portage

>SystemD
>OpenRC
I think it is obvious.

Explain to me why portage is so great. How does portage work better than let's say pacman? Or even apt-get?

>ls -a for six hours
Lawl. But seriously, arch hasn't broken for me. Idk how that meme got started.

I don't understand the Arch is hard meme. Once you figure out the installation and how to get X working its probally about as easy as debian. I've never had it break unless I screwed something up.

>What is Arch OpenRC
>Nobody would install SystemD on Gentoo

It downloads the source code instead of a binary package so you can compile it however you want.

Arch is easy to use. That is what Gentoo users don't like about it. You must understand that all Gentoo users are fat neckbeard virgin losers with no life whatsoever.

Gentoo isn't that hard either. Once you figure out how to do the basics the rest is just an extension of that stuff.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System

Arch is still better.

Must be bait. I am diagnosed retarded (though not intellectually impaired) and even I know you set USE flags universally. I only installed gentoo once 10 years ago. I use Arch btw but why hate on Gentoo? Its great in its own right.

Walk me through how you would go about to install a simple program such as VLC in gentoo.

In Arch it is as simple as pacman -S vlc.

Wait, are you saying that gentoo is more difficult to use than arch?
Why?

partial upgrades are not supported. lel

>I am diagnosed retarded (though not intellectually impaired)
What? Intellectually impaired is the very definition of being retarded. What kind of retarded are you if not intellectually impaired?

emerge vlc

Just use a desktop profile retard. I hardly ever have to add useflags unless I want something done specifically.

>What is pacman -S

A functional Arch Linux system often requires manually compiling packages from the AUR. The AUR is unsupported, may break existing packages, and has no official management tool.
Less popular software from the official repo is likely out-of-date.
Updating Arch Linux at the wrong time can break your system.
Updating Arch Linux sometimes requires manual user intervention.
Partial updates to your Arch Linux system are not supported. You must update everything.
Waiting too long between updates will break your Arch Linux system.

Something that even the arch wiki "strongly discourages"
lel

Don't forget the USE flags.

>A functional Arch Linux system often requires manually compiling packages from the AUR
Absolutely false.

Source?
>Strongly discouraged means you definitively can't do that

He's obviously retarded retarded.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance#Partial_upgrades_are_unsupported

arch hardly supports any architectures

/thread

>Always upgrade (with pacman -Syu) before installing a package.
Read: We might fuck up dependencies.
Solution: Use your brain.

I don't hate on gentoo. I don't use it. I don't know anything about, so I don't talk about it. I've only used arch for about a month. X11 and nividia updates and nary a conf break.

wtf is a Talos computer?

>whats google

raptorcs.com/TALOSII/

gentoo is so bloated
arch follows KISS
just dont be stupid

wtf is a Newfaggot?

>gentoo is so bloated

Attached: 1520634829613.gif (487x560, 898K)

>not using a desktop profile and realizing that nearly every package has default use flags that would result in the equivalent of a package from any other distro

ok retard

>systemd

Absolutely true AUR is garbage and anyone saying Arch is better than portage is in fucking denial.

Sure it may be faster initially but once you try to do basically anything the first thing you think is god damnit portage would be able to do this.

"Simple Upgrades

Expand your Talos™ II system with easy access to upgrades and replacement parts! You don't need to call in a support technician to upgrade your machine for you; simply purchase the new parts online and install them at your convenience."

Is this supposed to be a new thing?

No one gives a flying fuck about what you say, tripfaggot. Hang yourself.

Then why did you reply to him

I'm an archfag, but seriously considering switching to gentoo for a few reasons.
>no systemd/lennartware
>compile programs specific to my hardware
>less bloated packages
>have a 6c/12t cpu that is more than capable of compiling packages

>Absolutely true AUR is garbage
Subjective opinion that I don't really care about. Your assertion that you need AUR packages for a functional system is objectively false and not even just from a technical perspective. The only things I use AUR for is Plymouth and Retroarch cores. You can find everything you NEED from the repos.

>install Arch at the beginning of February
>can't run SPICE enabled QEMU quests without memory leaks
>sxiv can't open pixmaps
>lynx can't browse wikipedia
>spacefm isn't in official repos
>thunar crashes every time I move or rename files
>constant updates
>Arch homepage says I need to manually change zita-resampler???
>install Gentoo
>spend extra time configuring and compiling
>everything just works the exact way I want it
>keep Arch confined to shitpost VMs

>lack of software is actually a GOOD thing
install haiku

>lack of software
>Arch repos
Did you get confused and think we were talking about Void?

Arch is known for it's small official repos
The excuse usually is "muh AUR"

i use both. use what werks for you.
both are stable as shit. if you have trouble with shit breaking, then don't mess with shit you don't understand. scratch that, if you break shit, it's a learning experience.
both are very fast.

Arch:
>easy to use for beginners
>like a house tour for GNU/Linux, shows you the basics of what you need, doesn't get into what you don't really need by default.
>easy to customize
>a major downside is that while the AUR is decent, i cannot for the life of me find a decent package manager. sure, there are ones that fit niches, but there aren't any general purpose ones. plus, pacman/pacaur override default configs.

Gentoo
>cult following
>great support if you know what you're talking about
>i defy you to name a single thing in gentoo that you can't modify yourself and have it still work somewhat. it's like shooting someone in the leg with a shotgun. they'll still sort of walk even though something's wrong.
>very customizable
>you can run it in any architecture, and can run it on a literal toaster (a guy in russia did it)
>while the learning curve is high, it's meant to be like that. if someone were to use windows all their life and suddenly get into gentoo, they wouldn't know a fucking thing.

bottom line, gentoo is the bike, and arch is the training wheels.

>I'm retarded
>I use Arch btw

Go figure

weird way to spell ubuntu

Arch is more bloated you retard

what is this propaganda doing here

Arch is for people, who wanna feel smart, but don't have enough patience.
Gentoo is for people who wanna feel smart, and have enough patience.

Anyone able to get qutebrowser on gentoo? I get an error:
bpaste.net/show/0b88800ec871

then which distro is for persons who are smart?
>inb4 debian-based distro

No you don't understand, they did something fucking stupid to their config file and it broke when they updated . It's totally not an edge case and everyones arch install breaks!!!!

The only time I've ever run into an issue with Arch is when they did the point release for the newest pacman, and it was insanely easy to fix. I've been using arch for close to 10 years.

I'm convinced that everyone who has had Arch break on them are illiterate and fucked around with config files with values that are invalid, because they can't even explain to me what stopped working.

Dunno, "pacman -S qutebrowser" on Arch works fine.

Arch is bloat

debian

People don't seem to understand that the reason you use an OS you constantly have to fix is because you learn shit while fixing it.

looks like you need dev-python/PyQt python_single_target_python3_6 USE flag set

>arch
systemd sucks, baby

>can't use Google
>can't decipher product page blatantly talking about a non-botnet cpu architecture
I can see why you like Arch

Attached: file.png (650x4376, 979K)

I'll give you 3:
>sourcemage's sorcery
>crux's prt-get
>exherbo's paludis

Gentoo ironically has more common with Debian than with Arch or other ricer distros
Gentoo has stable packages, Arch is literally bleeding edge only
Gentoo and Debian both allow for lots of choices, in Arch you either use the default core or are completely on your own
Gentoo automates almost everything just like any other sane distro, Arch is "minimalistic" on purpose only
Gentoo and Debian both support lots of architectures, Arch not even 32bit intel any more
Pacman is also pretty limited compared to other package managers:
- only allows one version of a package to exist in one repo
- doesn't care about licenses (you can exclude certain ones in other distros)
- doesn't have recommended/optional packages
Also Arch has probably the biggest and most bloated packages out of all the distros because they compile in literally everything. Fucking ironic for a "minimal" distro

Why are you not using LFS if you want to learn Linux?

source mage has trash documentation
exherbo is vaporware

Is this a fucking mmo ?

portsmaster and the like do the same for *bsd.
Also gentoo is just a cheap freeBSD clone.

emerge -a packagename always works unless there's multiple packages with the same name in different categories. And you don't usually need to set a package's USEflags manually to whatever unless you really want specific features. And if you do, then you just equery u packagename to see what they do.

gentoo has a saner coc