/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60; X200, T400/500
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot on T420; Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T/W52/30 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, 64gb of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive. Bad stock cooling reported by multiple owners.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: 1515272558004.png (600x600, 218K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1509017
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

t420 for 50-130aud
or
t420s for 150aud
or
t430 and then mod in the t420 keyboard ?

Does anyone else's fans speed up a lot when watching video? I'm watching K-ON on a T420 and using VLC really spikes my temps.

Attached: ritsu t420.png (480x480, 226K)

Not sure if this will fix it, but use MPV. It's much better.

go away shill

first for glass trackpads

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-03-20 22-52-52.png (707x160, 28K)

>glass trackpads
Y tho?

You're probably using a CPU decoder. Try using a GPU based decoder. You can do it in VLC, but I have no idea how.

Guise i want a Thinkpad, but the ones i've tried all had shit monitors and felt kinda slow.
I want one so i can venture further into freetard territory, but i really want a nice monitor for reading and staring at basically all day.
What model do i pick? Can i get the old ones with the nice keyboards to eat a decent i7 and a 1080 or above panel that doesn't give me eyecancer?

pls halp me geeksquad

Attached: cory-chan.jpg (367x367, 22K)

T440p with i7-4600M, SSD, and 1080p IPS upgrade.
B140HAN01.2 is the best IPS panel on the original list, but you'll have to message a few ebay sellers asking them if the part they have is that specific part, or just a compatible substitute.
If you don't like the trackpad, you can get the T450(s)/T460 trackpad and drop it in as a replacement.

is it worth swapping out the t430 chiclet for the classic??

so what do you guys use your expresscard slots for? got my t420 up and running and the only logical thing i can think to do with it is maybe a flush mount usb3 adapter or something.

pic unrelated

Attached: 1521403646587 (2).jpg (1600x900, 235K)

They're both honestly better than regular consumer-grade chiclet keyboards, just go with the one you prefer the most.

Thanks for that, i was just looking at a T440s refurb with a 1080 display and a i7, i mailed seller asking for the model# and to clarify if it was IPS.
Will i get chinked if i buy a new trackpad from chinese sellers on eBay?

eGPU

Attached: 08d0653263743643269d27226cb51cc0--k-on-faces.jpg (511x564, 23K)

Nearly all the trackpad parts from ebay are good, just don't go with the cheapest possible seller.
The T440s uses an i7-4600U, which is max turbo 3.3GHz, as opposed to the T440p i7-4600M (not U), which max turbos to 3.6GHz
The T440p has a replaceable CPU and 2xDIMM slots instead of a soldered CPU, and 4GB soldered memory + 1xDIMM slot.
This means that if you want to upgrade (or downgrade) the CPU for quad core, or lower power draw, you can't do that with the T440s.
Also, if you want more than 4/8GB of RAM, the T440s will run in single channel mode instead of dual channel mode, as you will have asymmetric RAM modules.

Ah, yeah i'll stay away from the slim model then. Thanks again for the advice, might pull the trigger tonight if i can make up my mind.
By the way, how is m.2 disk compatibility with Linux? I've been googling around, and it seems it causes problems with power saving features.

>tfw £150

Attached: 20180320_103656.jpg (4640x2610, 3.14M)

There's a reason why the T440 series are so cheap...
>No one wants them

Attached: 469.jpg (489x499, 37K)

The T440p is amazing. I don't see why more people aren't using one.

The T440p is one $15 touchpad away from greatness.

Hey /tpg/, I'm looking for a laptop to stick in my garage.
>4:3 for comfy PDF schemata and web forum research
>rugged
>wifi (AC possible?)
>decent audio output for stereo
>most readable screen (IPS?)
>cheap ($200 max)

From what I've gathered from the sticky's resources the x220 or x230 look like good fits, with DDR3 and Sandy/Ivy Bridge for decent oomph. I'm tempted by the tablet version with the pivoting screen and stylus but I suspect it's a lot more prone to failure. Would you concur?

Attached: Lenovo_42963LU_320GB_ThinkPad_X220_42963LU_842845.jpg (2000x2000, 243K)

£150 + £20 touchpad = greatness
Honestly if you want a good touchpad just buy it, it's that simple

Why do you want audio output in your garage?

>mute, volume controls, mic mute, thinkvantage buttons removed
>power button not part of keyboard
>5 button trackpad changed to a fuckhuge integrated trackpad
>total of 10 buttons removed
I mean why stop there? Just have the entire keyboard be a trackpad with a red nipple slapped in the center
what a joke

I’m looking to replace my 2015 MacBook Pro Retina (13” with i5 and 256 SSD/8gb of RAM).

I’m looking to run Arch/Void/Debian mainly.

What do you guys think I should get? I’d like an AC network card, 1080p screen preferably, IPS if possible, prefer trackpoint with trackpad buttons, i7 but i5 it good price, dual channel 16GB of RAM with the i7 or 8-12GB of RAM with the i5. I’d like upgrade options as well. Chiclet is five but being able to update to the old T420/X220 keyboard would be a nice option. Touch screen isn’t a big deal. I’d like it to be light weight and a good battery life.

I was thinking a T430, T440, T450, or any S variants of those. Open to X series as well.

I started an InfoTech course at uni and I need a new laptop, the one I've got now is clunky and makes a fuckton of noise, what should I get that's small and on the cheaper side?

Lots of typos. I’m kind of fucked up. Sorry.

>from my research an x220 or x230 have a 4:3 aspect ratio

Attached: 1457584692726.png (560x407, 13K)

I have a boombox out there that I blast EDM through to annoy the neighbors. Usually my phone is parked over there for this purpose but I might as well have the laptop free it up for shizposting.

The mute, volume controls and mic mute buttons are still here.
Instead of the ugly blue ThinkVantage button (who's only use was getting into the BIOS and activating the bloatware) you use the enter key, which is bigger and more instantly recognisable.
You can slap on a newer touchpad that'll only set you back £20, and you're set.

You're the joke.

>The mute, volume controls and mic mute buttons are still here.
not as dedicated buttons.

Oh, I guess it's not. Aww. Anyhoo, as long as it isn't overly wide so I'm not having to shuffle the thing around on the bench all the time.
>really kinda in love now with the boxy old school Thinkpads

They really don't have to be. I prefer how they are on my T440p than my X220.

I agree with you, dedicated buttons for those audio functions aren't absolutely necessary. I did miss them for a couple of weeks after upgrading from a T510, but I got used to the new layout.
No getting used to the clickpad though. I hope my Aliexpress T450 touchpad arrives this week.

>AliExpress
You better hope it works user. How much did you pay?

>m.2 disk compatibility
If you're talking about SATA, then it's exactly the same as the 2.5" disks, except it's a slightly different physical interface. Be aware that the M.2 slots in the T440p are not common SSD form factors, and you will find it much easier to just replace the HDD, or put in a drive caddy.

Any news on the P52/72? Are they waiting for the new hexacore Xeons?

Why does my T400's processor make a lot of noise when doing something?

How do I impressed girls with my ThinkPad?
Asking for a friend

i'd try to get a t470 or x270 on a big discount now since **80 are coming

What are some good things i can do with a touchscreen except take notes with onenote or something like that?

I acquired a L380 yoga recently and want some cool tips besides just taking notes

Do you want a quad core?

Treat it like shit and say "Don't worry, it's a ThinkPad™!"

Besides the trackpad that's one sexy laptop. Very thicc.

Attached: Thinkpad gf.jpg (1354x640, 83K)

>What are some good things i can do with a touchscreen except take notes with onenote or something like that?

There really is only taking notes user. Touchscreens are a meme.

Is it weird that this picture makes me feel warm and content, like I do with an actual girlfriend?

reee

Depends on the battery life difference.

I want a 12,13,14 inch laptop, good battery, 16GB of RAM (dual channel), fast SSD, and IPS. Main goals.

Yeah, go with a dual core. Mine dropped 30% battery life when I went from a 4600M to a 4810MQ.

Good place to buy memepads ?
Im currently just browsing through ebay and gumtree (aussie craigslist), i also went onto aliexpress but there arent any thinkpads on there.
Ebay prices are getting really high and are sometimes extremeley unreasonable especially since i have to browse in worldwide-mode since there is an even smaller amount of thinkpads within Australia and the postage becomes INSANE (sometimes being twice the price of the thinkpad itself)

Attached: 1521074783542.jpg (423x287, 91K)

Does anyone know if the bezel on a T450 is glued on or if it's simple to remove? I'm looking to replace the bezel because of some cosmetic damage.

Attached: IMG_8593.jpg (4032x3024, 1.77M)

T450s then? I’m getting a X200 to try out libreboot as well. And then maybe getting a X220. Or should I get X230 and replace the keyboard to a 220 one?

I also just realized that it looks like the previous owner tried to ply it off by sticking something between the backplate and the bezel.

Or should I go T450 instead of the T450s?

not sure if you guys can help be but
TrackPoint attributes in
/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/

there is 'speed' and 'sensitivity'.
what is the difference between these two attributes?
archwiki says configuring the 'sensitivity' attribute in udev rule adjusts the trackpoint speed (indeed does so), but what does the 'speed' attribute exactly do?

Thank you very much; she really is a thiccie

I showed my gf(female) this pic and she thought it was adorable

You can play a game as if you're using a phone if you want to get cozy. Or 2-finger rub your browser window during relaxation for a scroll. The stylus with fingerbang touch disabled can be used for premier operation of all things, too.

How good is the t410? What are the cons and pros of it. Can you provide a comparison with x220? Specifically heating and performance. I'm okay with display and keyboard

T430 with keyboard mod

Who even uses a trackpad?

Buy the i5 model and swap it for a MQ i7
The dual core i7s are trash

First gen core i a shit
It heats up more and is like at best 70% the performance of a sandy bridge

No but I fixed a girl's msi shit top and ended up going out

Botnet

bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1509017

just ordered a t440 ... how bad is the trackpad?

will I have to replace it or can one learn to live with it?

same goes for the keyboard. (previous TP was x220 and loved the keyboard)

thanks 4 answers gentlesirs

best linus for x200 / x220

vlc is shit. use mpv

It's pretty decent desu.

I've found myself using the trackpoint and the touchpad pretty much interchangeably. It's really quite alright.

That being said, I'm replacing mine anyway, so make of that as you will.

Is it fine if I take off the battery if I want to boot thinkpad 24/7? Its a fucking hassle to plug/unplug it every 2 hours or so.

Any of them

What are you trying to achieve? Just use charging thresholds to not ruin the battery.

Sorry user, just got this today and I don't know that convenient tools exist.
Been skipping list of HMM in the OP since that long list got me a headache.

I got a used T440s and I need Windows for work, but the one it came with was a pirated one. Lenovo Recovery rejects its serial number. Where can I get recovery media for this?

>windows
get a rope and hang yourself

Tell that to the CTO

ropes.com offer business discounts

you're looking for t60 or x60

cool, i'll mail you some

I need a new laptop for Matlab and university, but I'm very unsure what to buy...

Batterylife is essential for me. If it COULD run CAD software, that would be a plus.

Budget is at ca. 600€ in germany.

W-series should do fine I think.

Can someone give me the rundown on ultrabay storage?
Is it good or bad?
I saw a refurbed device with 256gb ssd + 2tb ultrabay so thats why im asking

use Octave

Not up to me, the prof. wants to use Matlab so we have to

Yeah, the W-Series would be my favourite too, but what CPU to buy best, how much RAM and so on.

Came across this one, but it seems expensive though

Attached: 2018-03-21 14_08_18-Lenovo ThinkPad W530,2447-GW3.png (1017x660, 168K)

>have a thinkpad
>you love it
>it's beautiful
>the utilitarian design makes you hard
>open up the lid
>turn on the display
>mfw
A thinkpad is like a ugly girl with a hot body.

Attached: f5753870a40ccef114a6cb88e7f48531.jpg (680x680, 82K)

T420 for $195 and W520 for $430 are the "reasonable" offers on my local nordcuck "craigslist" nothing is inexpensive in my country but I feel like I'd get JUST'ed buying anything new or used compared to you fags
Everything is like 2x more expensive here, what do

>SSD
>USB3
>eSATA
>eGPU

>search [model of ThinkPad you have] FHD panel
>buy it
Wa la

Can you not import? From Germany, for example?

Why the fuuuaarrk, can't I find a thinkpad x60, or t60 (with C2D), for under $150 in Australia? Just want one for libreboot, and aspect ratio.

Does anyone know of any other laptop fast enough for programming, and basic web browsing, with that aspect ratio?

Not for the T420.

25% import tax, expensive shipping, customs fee, expensive to return ... idk

Why buy a ThinkPad when the Dell Latitude range is better in every way?

Bloody hell.

Maybe it's time to take a weekend trip to Germany, or wherever do cheap ThinkPads? Pick up a ThinkPad while you're there?
>not buying *40 series
Your fault, dummy

no

>not buying *40 series
I want an expresscard slot though.

I bought my t420 for 230€ in Germany