What is the modern day equivalent to 70s prog rock? Music that is loathed by critics and isn't "cool" at all...

What is the modern day equivalent to 70s prog rock? Music that is loathed by critics and isn't "cool" at all, and only listened to by nerds but has a devoted fanbase and probably will forever?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20081210002459/http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/16014/Capn_Jazz_Analphabetapolothology
youtube.com/watch?v=gnIraZRcxK0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Vaporwave

emo

Metal that's relatively on the more obscure side.

>missing the point
Actually good answers. Both definitely very different than prog but fits OP's description well.
I think Math Rock may be a little closer in spirit to prog as a modern successor though

if prog isnt cool then explain this, hot shot

Yes
Been picking up more attention from critics lately.

The difference is prog takes talent to make.

Might be right, but it's more popular by the day

Metal has had the same relative amount of attention for a long time at this point.

Far Side Virtual was on many AOTY lists though what are you talking about?

Just because Pitchfork's initial American Football review was lower than the more current review doesn't mean everyone was like that.

web.archive.org/web/20081210002459/http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/16014/Capn_Jazz_Analphabetapolothology

>Far Side Virtual was on many AOTY lists though what are you talking about?
Plenty of KC and Yes records also got very popular, it's still Prog.

>He still thinks vaporwave is obscure and only listened to by "nerds"
Woo boy.

>loathed by critics

Loathed by bad critics like pic related, you mean.
All real musicians have immense respect for the genre.

People bully me for liking it, so that's where I got that idea.

>all real musicians

you're acting like you have any sort of credibility

Prog didn't initially get that kind of love though. FSV didn't get that ITCOTKC level D+ shit. It got the opposite praise right from the start.

>opinions from people who actually know how to play music arent credible
ok

70s prog rock sold very well

I'm not calling myself a groundbreaking musician, or anything of the sort, I'm just saying that most people with music theory degrees and/or people that produce objectively complex and advanced music respect the genre.

Robert Christgau is a talentless english major that couldn't notice a good piece of music if it fucked him raw in the ass.

There is no equivalent. Nerds today mostly listen to memerap, pop and dance music like everyone else. I think metal in general would be your closest answer.

Stoner rock. It's not exactly loathed by critics, it's just faded into complete obscurity. Which is a shame because a lot of bands have incorporated psych/blues/hard rock elements and it's really interesting.

>prog
>loathed by critics

Christgau is not a """""""""""""""critic"""""""""""""""

>after decades progfags are still butthurt about Christgau

>new Clutch album in 2015
>new QOTSA album in 2013
>that one High On Fire album from 2012
>Elder's releases in general
>Sup Forums falling in love with Satan Worshiping Doom

Yeah...have no clue what you're talking about.

These

Maybe, but most critics respond fairly to this

There's only critic whose opinion matters on this board

>Maybe, but most critics respond fairly to this
Oh you're so mature and above metal, user!

Gold is not 'very well'

It's weird how 70's prog was loathed by critics when prog from 1969 through 1972 was the pinnacle of modern music. I guess they wouldn't feel intellectual enough while claiming to like something that good.

Apparently your music loses all emotions if you wanna do any emotion outside of drugs, sex, and rock n roll on a rock album.

Scaruffi really liked close to the edge and fragile if you understand his rating scale

I would say prog rock or prog metal

youtube.com/watch?v=gnIraZRcxK0