Why is KDE so smooth, sleek and responsive while Gnome feels like some laggy Android rom?

Why is KDE so smooth, sleek and responsive while Gnome feels like some laggy Android rom?

Attached: plasma-5.12.png (1600x900, 762K)

Other urls found in this thread:

igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/text/GNOME standar/username/Anonymous/
theregister.co.uk/2013/06/03/thank_microsoft_for_linux_desktop_fail/
omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/gnome-desktop-icons-removed-3-28
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/issues/64
omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/03/gnome-shell-has-a-memory-leak-and-it-might-not-be-fixed-for-ubuntu-18-04-lts
userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/Install_KDE_software#KDE_neon
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Use cinnamon or i3. Anything else is gay.

KDE is ugly and buggy as shit.
XFCE though

>while Gnome feels like some laggy Android rom?
Works pretty well on all of my stuff. Maybe it's your distro?

>mfw thinking of moving to rolling release distro
>mfw currently using XFCE and want to move to KDE
I mean font hinting, is good, DE looks nice, but I'm afraid on a rolling release I'll get their updated 6.0 at some point and it will be buggy shit later.

If I stick with XFCE, it won't change and only the underlying system will really change since XFCE is feature complete.

Doubtful, I use Arch. It used to be way worse but it's still as if the animations are capped at 30fps.

So why IS kde so buggy, anyways? Can't they specify and design shit properly before they actually start programming/developing? And get it stable before releasing it? Say what you want about GNOME, at least you get a polished final product (for free!), even if you don't like it, it does what what the designers intended with no bugs.

>muh KDE has more features
Not an argument. Windows and macOS have a shit ton of features, but not nearly as many bugs. That's because they're designed properly.
>muh open source devs don't get paid
Not a valid excuse. Even if they're not getting paid, they're still working. So let them keep working if they want, and don't let them release SHIT until it works without a million bugs

It's easy to have less bugs the more you strip features.

Not an argument, Windows and macOS are fine in that regard.

No one has answered the question yet. Why are Gnome animations locked to such a low framerate?

Because it doesn't even include a calculator, it just a terminal, a window manager and a file manager, GNOME is a full DE with productive tools, and includes a calculator as a bonus

>>mfw thinking of moving to rolling release distro
Opensuse Tumbleweed is the only rolling release worth using.

>Because it doesn't even include a calculator, it just a terminal, a window manager and a file manager, GNOME is a full DE with productive tools, and includes a calculator as a bonus

Retard KDE has Kcalc

Redpill me on the ram usage, thinking of switching on my lappy but only has 4 gigs.

>smooth, sleek, responsive
These are all things that KDE is not.

What in the fuck is with the KDE shilling recently? I tried out the recent update that supposedly added """""polish""""" and """""stability""""", and, regrettably, it's just as garbage as it's always been.

Literally ANY other desktop environment is better. Even GNOME.

KDE shills are in full force today. they kind of remind me of amiga fanboys

Could be a whole lot worse.

>These are all things that KDE is not.
Spoken like a bullshitter. Everyone who tries the latest version sees the light.

t. 10 year old Gnome user who recently ditched Gnome for KDE

Attached: Screenshot_20180321_204000.png (1920x1080, 429K)

GNOME is the "standar" linux desktop
They think they have to appeal to the average retard (windows/mac users) by building their "brand" and by having a distinctive, proprietary look
Basically they treat Gnome/GTK as a toy project and don't care about other users at all
igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/

>shilling GNOME in every thread with this epic maymay
kek

Not Neon, that is actually maintained by KDE developers
Not an argument

>GNOME is the workstation "standard" linux desktop
ftfy.
Nothing is set in stone for the desktop world.
Cinnamon is doing good as mint is doing good right now.
Unity was the shit until canonical dropped it.
budgie is the new contender, everyone is waiting for the qt-based version.
kde current dev cycle is bug-hunting, you can be sure nothing major will be released until they fix pretty much everything + wayland support.

Of all the things you stuck to, you choose to stick to the fact that KDE Neon doesn't include Kcalc even though you can use the included Krunner as a calculator.
>but muh grandma
hilarious

I was thinking of Manjaro, actually.

You meant debian testing?

No, it's "standar"
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/text/GNOME standar/username/Anonymous/

>white genocide

Attached: 1520001590205.png (351x351, 184K)

The fact they don't want to include a basic application like a calculator show how stubbron and clueless they are.
You are prolly a NEET

Hmm...that is interesting. Maybe I'll try that. Didn't realize Debian Testing was rolling, and I much prefer apt to pacman. Been on Xubuntu for a few years, so I should be able to move to Debian.

>2012
It's 2018, does KDE lack a calendar, too? I'm aware of the missing calculator, but this is ridiculous.

You are probably unironically a Red Hat developer

They have a calendar, but it sucks so much bals they are even afriaid to include it in Neon too

>GNOME developers trying to attack KDE with the "missing features" argument
like pottery

Attached: 1519147055982.png (1264x1532, 250K)

I don't, but Red Hat rules

>GNOME

Attached: Filepicker.png (742x828, 151K)

Show the hipocrisy of KTards

>KDE so smooth, sleek and responsive
>while Gnome feels like some laggy Android rom
unlikely.
try Fedora. If it works there, you're the one doing something wrong and you have no one else to blame, especially because you're using Arch

>like pottery
Like, you've gotta go back.

It's funny because anyone can just install Gnome and KDE and see how shit tier the animations in Gnome are in comparison to KDE. All I want to know is why. Is Qt really that much more superior to Gtk?

GNOME:
Doesn't have custom panels
Doesn't have a working filepicker with thumbnails
Designed for touchscreens (now they try to deny this, but it's literally in wikipedia)
Doesn't care about consistent APIs
Cares about their brand more than about customization
Main developers try to force their "vision" onto users by not letting them do anything, want to be a windows clone and completely misunderstand what makes linux special
Don't do ANY usability testing but believe they know what users want, ironically ignore ALL criticism
Are employed by red hat and can basically do what they want since linux desktop isn't actually competing with anything

What do you mean?

>animations

Qt is propritary garbage

GNOME has no taskbar
GNOME has no status indicators
GNOME is married to systemd

>GNOME has no status indicators
What are status indicators, anyways?

It's licensed under GPL

And that is a good thing, want taskbars and status indicators? go back to windows

You need to sign an abusive CLA that allow Digia to turn Free as in Freedom code into proprietary if you want to contribute, it is garbage

t. gnomecuck LITERALLY cucked by microsoft
theregister.co.uk/2013/06/03/thank_microsoft_for_linux_desktop_fail/

So how is KDE churning out the best DE?

>Best
You spelled GNOME wrong
>It doesn't even include a calculator
Something do not compute

the kde-plasma package doesn't include a calculator
but gnome-lite also does not
both include one with a proper full install

>Gnome framerate locked to 30fps with constant dips with many windows open
>removed desktop icons
omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/gnome-desktop-icons-removed-3-28

Gnome doesn't even have desktop icons lol

Yeah, Ubuntu did that.

>Desktop icons
Who needs those? Windows refugees?

If you're going with Arch, you should check out Artix. It doesn't use systemd.

GNOME is really bad but this is one of the few good things they did. I always hated having desktop icons and how they were forced on you. When I first used openbox, it was like washing the last bits of dirt off my body that had clung there for years. I use i3 now, but the same thing applies.

They got a few things right, however. Their draconian approach to customization and APIs aka "we change it, it's YOUR problem" may not be social, grated, but in a way it's the smarter thing to do. Apple does the same for good reason.

Apple ironically does provide much more customization by default though

Just knock it off. This shit gets posted every time and isn't true.

Samefag, autistic cunt.

Thats called modularity and the additional KDE apps are optional. Fucking autist.

This meme is getting old.

gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/issues/64

>not xmonad
heh

Attached: 034504904.jpg (1280x1280, 268K)

Gnome devs can't into memory.

It is the truth, you just can't handle it
>Thats called modularity
Not including a calculator is not modularity, is retardation, plain and simple

omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/03/gnome-shell-has-a-memory-leak-and-it-might-not-be-fixed-for-ubuntu-18-04-lts

Fucking kek opening a windows adds permanent 100+ MB to GNOME ram usage.

So thats why they have no proper taskbar. They want to prevent people from opening to much stuff in order to hide the problem. Kek

Don't be a retard. A calculator is a separate stand alone program with its own functions, not a part of a DE. It's up to a distro if they want to include small utilities like a calculator or notepad.

>Not including a calculator is not modularity, is retardation, plain and simple

If it was included, you'd just say it's bloat. It is sad that your only meaning of life is shitposting in every KDE thread you can find. You should kill yourself and grant your sickness stricken mind some peace.

>not a part of a DE
A DE stands for Desktop Enviroment and includes a calculator, trying to justify the lack of common sense of KTards is pathetic.
>If it was included, you'd just say it's bloat
Not true, I'd call it common sense

>A DE stands for Desktop Enviroment
A desktop environment is supposed to dictate how a desktop looks and feels. A calculator is not part of a desktop environment, it is a utility and it's up to you what utilities you want to install and use.
Say I have a very minimalist installation of linux. It has the bare minimum of shit installed to get it up and running in a machine to boot into a terminal. If I were to install any DE, it would only install the DE. It doesn't matter if I were to install GNOME, MATE, KDE LXQt or whatever, it will only install the shit that would give you a desktop environment like the file manager and windowing manager. It will not install basic utilities because they're their own programs. Small utilities are not needed to give you a usable desktop where you can click icons and open GUI programs in. You're the retard here confusing a DE with a Distro.

A Desktop Enviroment stands for the productive things a desktop has, a DE is supposed to be for productivity, not including a calculator is sending a message that they are aiming for unproductive NEETs as user base.

Are you retards really going to spend another thread arguing wether or not including a calculator makes a distro/DE shit or not?

No, it is settled, a DE must include a calculator

>A Desktop Enviroment stands for the productive things a desktop has
A desktop only provdes an ENVIRONMENT where your programs and utilities go into. I dare you to actually set up a minimalist install that boots only to a terminal and then install any desktop environment and see if it provides utilities alongside it or not. You're confusing a DE for a distro.

Because GNOME is a bunch of leftists who are too busy arguing about genders to make decent software. That should explain why it gets more bloated, yet has less and less features.

Attached: 1519090953176.jpg (400x368, 44K)

Attached: you.png (645x729, 61K)

No, a Desktop is for the productive things you usually have in a desktop and one of those basic productive programs is a calculator, KDE developers are just retarded, for something minimalistic there are Window manahers like i3

Too stupid to use a packet manager, are you.

Again, I dare you to actually try and install a DE from a minimalist terminal-only set-up. Everything else is dictated by a Distro, which you are confusing a DE with. When I set up the KDE spin for Fedora, it already included basic shit like a notepad and calculator, both of which I can uninstall and replace. So I don't even know what the fuck you're complaining about. Maybe the distro you were trying to use forgot to put kcalc to go with the KDE variant, which is where your retardation is probably coming from.

No, KTards are too stupid to include it by default
>I dare you to actually try and install a DE from a minimalist terminal-only set-up
Why should I do that? I actually use my computer to do productive things, not to be a NEET
>Everything else is dictated by a Distro
And the "distro" is maintained by KDE developers, they have no excuse, just plain retardation

>still trying to argue with the calculatorfag
I hope you retards realize you're arguing with the same GNOME autist who keeps shitting up every DE thread with the same tired arguments, no matter how hard he gets BTFO every time.

userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/Install_KDE_software#KDE_neon
>KDE neon is an Ubuntu-LTS-based mini-"distribution"
>To install packages on KDE neon, use Discover

You seem to have misunderstood me. I am telling you to start from scratch as an experiment. Installing a DE will install only the Desktop Environment, not the utilities associated with it. Let me repeat it, it doesn't fucking matter if you installed GNOME, MATE, KDE, LXQt or any other shit out there, it will not install basic utilities. Typing in apt-get install gnome-desktop will not install galculator, same goes for kde-desktop and kcalc. Basic utilities are dictated by the distro.

Not an argument
KDE estands for K Desktop Enviroment, a DE must have a calculator, is so simple.

If they're actually still arguing with him they're just as retarded and ergo there's no helping them. They'll talk till they're blue in the face not realizing they're being played.

If I don't install basic software as a calculator, how can even call it a DE? it is not.

Typing in apt-get install gnome-desktop will not install galculator

Typing in apt-get install gnome-desktop will not install galculator

I have been reading these threads with joy for the last few months, and it seems like this gnome guy has nothing else in life. Thats what I call dedication. All that shitposting, this is his essence, his spirit, all he is and all he will ever will be. He has truely reached the highest and purest form of human existance and became so much more than a mere person: A foot.

A bad named meta-package is not an excuse to not include a calculator

>A foot

Attached: love_the_foot5.png (1046x1048, 959K)

>A bad named meta-package is not an excuse to not include a calculator
You seem to be agreeing that a utilities are not part of a DE. GNOME devs must be just as retarded for including utilties that are not part of the environment, right?
It's up to the distro maintainers how they maintain their metapackages and what basic utilities start out with their distro.
Typing in apt-get install gnome-desktop will not install galculator.
The only explanation for your retardation is that you once used a distro where they forgot to place kcalc as a basic utility.

It is not the distro maintainers to define what a DE is, their job is to deliver one, not including a calculator in a DE is retarded, simple.
>they forgot to place kcalc as a basic utility.
Like Neon, but they didn't forgot, they just refuse to include it, because they are more stubborn than GNOME developers

Same on Arch Linux. Neither gnome-desktop nor gnome-session include any utilities.

>It is not the distro maintainers to define what a DE is, their job is to deliver one, not including a calculator in a DE is retarded, simple.
A DE is separate from the utilities associated with it, you fucking retard. Just look at gnome-desktop. Even they know that utilities are not part of the environment, same goes for every single other DE metapackage out there. Utilities are installed separately Even looking at the netinstaller for Fedora, the tickbox for Plasma-desktop is separate from the tickbox for KDE utilties. Installing desktop environment will not include utilities and this thinking is not restricted to KDE. Installing a distro, on the other hand, will include utilities. If I were to install gnome-desktop in my KDE set-up, I wouldn't magically have galculator. If I were to install the main Fedora distro instead of the KDE spin, I would have galculator. If I were to install the KDE spin, I wold have Kcalc instead of galculator. Neon seems to be your only complaint. Every other distro that ships with KDE will ship with basic utilities but if you were to install any DE from a terminal-only setup, basic utilities won't be included.

KDE Neon itself claims to be minimal, so only coming with a file manager, a terminal and a graphical package manager is valid.

Any other Linux distibution includes a calculator anyways.

I currently have 42 firefox tabs open and using 2.0 gb memory. Seems reasonable to me.

KDE on Arch uses 300-400MB on my 2009 Macbook Pro with 4 GB of RAM.