Why is Amerifat electricity so weak?

Why is Amerifat electricity so weak?

Attached: 1510268218725.png (2000x1015, 342K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thednetworks.com/2012/06/10/why-does-ukusa-use-110120v-and-others-use-220240v/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Tesla

Too busy to suck Musk's dick.

lmao @ those mixed voltage countries

somehow reminds me of countries that have mixed currencies

Why're you wasting volts?

Does voltage really matter?

It's all a matter of money really..

Morbidly obese electrons, I presume.
Can't really live up to their true potential.

more amps

Because they still use the imperial measurement system

Sure. It means I don't have to boil water in the microwave like a fucking animal.

Voltlets, when will they learn?

>mfw countries still using 50hz
that's the most comical aspect of all of this.

Fuck
i have been traveling alot between europe, america, japan, taiwan and i have been plugging my laptop to the wall without thinking as long as the plug fits

Edison thought that 240 was too 'dangerous' so it became the standard here

Used to live in Saudi. Blew my GameCube by putting it into the wrong voltage :(

Please be bait

Modern PSUs support pretty much any voltage/amperage you might find.

No, Edison was too busy fighting the current wars to worry about what voltage AC is distributed at.

How does it matter in anything but boiling water?

The only reason Americlaps have 60hz is so American companies can have a monopoly and sell more microwaves to boil water with. Don't pretend there is a significant difference between 50 and 60

Tesla literally said 60hz was the perfect frequency for AC. Also, have you ever seen the difference in lighting between 50hz and 60hz? A lot more flicker is visible in europe.

>believing we can't boil water like the rest of the world

I'm sorry what? How does our voltage play into this?

Use the stove?

>and sell more microwaves to boil water with.
what the fuck are you people talking about? is this some new meme I'm not aware of?

Do europeans even have gas stoves?

Probably not, they could suffocate so they need their government to protect them by taking it away.

A lot of flicker is probably due to eastern Europe being too poor to afford newer led bulbs

Electrician here: it's not. In fact 240v is already supplied to houses, we just use both nerves for heavy duty stuff like electric ovens/water heaters/ac systems. The rest gets a single nerve for user and worker safety. You're much more likely to survive nerve to neutral shocks on a single nerve than on both taking skin resistance into account.

moist wet hands: ~1,000 ohms
mA from 20 amp 120v circuit breaker: 120 (possibly lethal)
mA from 20 amp 240v circuit breaker: 240 (nigga u is dead as a door nail

Attached: 1518741361678.jpg (640x570, 58K)

If your electrical system requires slavshits to buy better bulbs just so it doesn't shit itself, then your electrical system is shit.

Of course they do. Who do you think buys most of Russia's bottled farts?

How lethal is 10 Amps from a 220v outlet? I got zapped by one of these once and spent all day long shaking like Michael J. Fox.

you only need a few mA to go into fibrillation. you did not take 10A.

Not an argument

Wait there are people who don't boil water in the microwave?

Extremely, assuming you had 0 ohms you'd violently detonate like a stick of dynamite. Fortunately your skin resists most of the current.

>you did not take 10A.
That's what I'm thinking, I think I got fucking lucky that day. What could've possibly happened? A power dip right at that specific moment when I got zapped?

Indonesia reporting in, the vast majority is on 220v, I have not once encountered a 110v outlet in my 25 years of life.

Your hands were probably not that moist (sweat affects this too). Wear gloves my next time, 240v will put you in the fucking ground especially since it tends to incapacitate your muscles significantly and make you hold on for more than 1 second.

Have you even been to every island?

I've been belted by 600v at 50 hz but it just touched my finger. I was testing some AC ranges on a dmm but fuck it tickled.

>since it tends to incapacitate your muscles significantly and make you hold on for more than 1 second.
Yeah, that part was really noticeable, I don't think I held on to it for more than half a second, but it completely paralyzed and I felt the current going through my whole body. My hands were fully dried btw, I was just unplugging a fan from the outlet when my right hand's index finger touched the metallic pin.

Lol

We have 240 and 480 too so master race?

this meme has to stop

The US is 240v, but the vast majority of devices use 120. Like the electrician above said, safety reasons are why 240 is only used in US homes for large high draw appliances and is in many cases hard wired so people don't fuck with the outlets. The only 240 outlet most homeowners will see is the one used for an electric clothes dryer.
240 is also more efficient compared to 120.

Attached: 1482250311262.png (442x558, 67K)

You ought to be put on the electric chair for that.

>240 is also more efficient compared to 120.
Sadly we have to baby-proof homes for the adults here in the states. I got a call a few months ago to fix an energized ceiling fan, I mean shit man we have black for hot and white for neutral stickies posted all over appliances and the homeowner still screwed in the hot wire on the ground terminal. ffs

Why dumbass europeans use a tension so strong that can burn eletronics much more easier?

Not really, 240v actually requires thinner cables.

In USA, we have 120/240 split phase and three phase for larger. We got the juice.

Beacue are houses are made from shitty poplar wood and pressed cardboard doors that burn easily

It's recently come to /brit/'s attention that Americans don't have electric kettles and boil water in the microwave to heat it up.

Nothing wrong with that, the radiation is non-ionizing.

monkey here, voltage is usually based on city, pretty much every big city is 110 in most outlets, with 220 being possible in some outlets.
the newer cities are all 220.
i have no idea where we have 50hz.

>monkey here
howdy fellow hue

Residence in Java, I've been to Sumatra (6mo stay), Sulawesi (2yrs stay), Bali (business trips), Kalimantan (only once, holiday).

Most American plugs don't even have earth wires.

>Be American
>Have electric kettle
>Boiling water for tea in about one minute
???

You only survived because you have a strong young heart. What you described would have killed a lot of people.

but they do though
not a single plug in my home or of anyone else I've seen that doesn't

Attached: 1465881554177.webm (558x456, 626K)

i've heard they go into debt / depression / suicide due to huge mortgage payments for that kind of a cardboard shack in sub-urban areas

..because, in disregard of reality, their retarded boomer parents kick them out when they're 18 ('muh individualism') and they comply

Attached: 15698120_1816163535303956_298625935705438821_n.jpg (261x217, 9K)

>How lethal is 10 Amps from a 220v outlet? I got zapped by one of these once and spent all day long shaking like Michael J. Fox.
No, you got zapped by 220 volt, by a current that has nothing to do with the socket. That is not how electricity works.

Refer to Mixed voltage PSUs

>tension

Well the more tense your wire is the better the electrons can float through...

Pretty much m8. I have 300K mortgage (about 2k/month), a $500/month car lease, 2 credit cards both with $50 mininum payments, and $500/month student loan repayments. Meanwhile my parents haven't called me in a year. fml senpai

>No, you got zapped by 220 volt, by a current that has nothing to do with the socket.
I don't follow. I just had my ambien and my brain is slowing to a crawl, please clarify.

Mixed voltage is one thing; you can just transform it to what you need with relative ease (transformers are everywhere in electrical systems anyway). Mixed frequency is the real clusterfuck since inductors and capacitors have different reactance with different frequencies.

Electricity in North America is distributed at over 10kV in the last leg of distribution, but usually not more than 15kV. There are transformers littered along the lines to step it down to 120/240 (yes, that's right, most NA homes have 240 for large appliances like stoves and driers). Any modern electrical system distributes at high voltages and steps it down to what the consumer needs. Many electrical utilities will allow you to step the voltage down to whatever you need if you supply your own transformer equipment.

I was going to mention this. There's no need to have 240 on every circuit in your house. Your phone charger is 5V, for fuck's sake.

Your body needs to be a reasonably low impedance path to ground for you to get a serious shock. As mentioned, dry hands will reduce shock. If you're wearing shoes, the rubber sole will reduce it more. If you're standing on a wooden floor, that will again reduce it. If, however, you're touching a copper plumbing pipe or something else metal that is well grounded, you are going to get a much worse shock. You have to consider the overall quality of the path to ground. Although if you're connected across hot and neutral, that is far less relevant. I was once trying to pull out a very jammed up plug and got it partially out and my finger slipped and (don't ask how, I don't know) bridged across the pins and my arm up to my elbow felt like it was vibrating.

The current is a function of voltage and impedance, so actually it does. For a given impedance, more voltage means more current.

Because DC was already in use under Edison when the current wars, and DC arcs like a bitch at high voltage. When AC took over 120v was already the standard.

Attached: 1519235386576.gif (269x283, 204K)

The current that ran through your body depends on the voltage supplied by the socket, and the electrical resistance of your body. The 10 ampere rating on the socket is just the maximum current the socket can supply before blowing the fuse, not the amount that actually ran through you. Thus, you got shocked by 220 volts, with a current that varies wildly with circumstances (skin moisture, skin thickness where you touched it, path taken by current, exact location on body, etc) and is completely unpredictable, but which has very little to do with the socket. The only thing we know was that it was less than 10 ampere (unless you blew the fuse); but it most certainly was VASTLY less than that, so that tells us roughly nothing at all.

>Beacue are houses are made from shitty poplar wood and pressed cardboard doors that burn easily

Better than yurope at least.

We just use a stove since we don't have to pay an army and a leg for electricity/gas here.

Attached: yurocums.png (1193x139, 20K)

Wood flexes during an earthquake so it has more resiliance. Concrete tends to crack.

Well, that explains it then. Sure it was fucking terrifying though. It seems that I've forgotten pretty much everything I learned in college about electricity.

>Not an argument
>Europoor power grid can't handle some random fucker with incandescent bulbs
>Lights flicker because slavshit is using too much energy
>Not an argument

I think it's more that 110 is 1 phase out of three created on standard equipment. American electricity systems, being the first in the world, decided it was probably good enough for most non industrial uses. So 2 phase 220 is delivered to the house, and either used for electric clothes dryer/ electric ovens, or split into two one phase 110 circuits.

Maybe not the best, but pretty good. Also, first in the world. Also invented the entire electrical system, all the generation and distribution equipment, etc. So, we've kinda got some legacy statement we maintain.

>not 220v 144Hz

Attached: 1520632711515.gif (360x282, 1.64M)

yes but that is directly in the chest

Mohammed and his Yuropean friends are having a giggle.

you should go on a killing-spree.

Attached: 16114954_1471616649517750_5664912612357612021_n.jpg (720x720, 32K)

220V 60Hz mustard rice checking in

You're lucky you're alive man

This is it right here. Yes under modern current loads the 220v range is better, but good luck getting everyone to change out all their appliances, lighting, and devices with non-switching power supplies to support a different voltage standard at the same time.

Because our outlets are unsafe, and the use of fault circuits isn't mandatory.

Our people are too stupid to care, public policy politicians too busy arguing about school shootings (avg 30 deaths a year), and electricians too dumb/lazy/cheap to voluntarily use $8 gfci outlets. The result is a nation where household electric shocks are still a serious problem in 2018.

So, we SHOULD keep our voltages as low as possible. We have 30,000 household shocks and 350 deaths by electrocution a year. Scaled per capita, this is higher than any other developed nation.

If we used higher voltage with the same amperage like other countries, expect to see more of those 30,000 shocks be fatalities.

Attached: gfci.jpg (1000x1500, 64K)

>take the worst elements of every country in Europe
>construct fictional country that's an absolute hellhole
Oh wow, good job. I should do the same for all of North America.

>look at the wrong guy and you'll be skinned alive and boiled by a cartel
>can't own guns bigger than .22 short
>die in a terrorist attack every Tuesday
>go to jail for using the wrong pronouns
>go to jail for boycotting Israel
>terrible healthcare
>cuck president
What a shit country North America is.

People might take you seriously if you could point to more than 3 European countries on a map.

I should mention that American CAN pull double the voltage from a circuit, even 480v

thednetworks.com/2012/06/10/why-does-ukusa-use-110120v-and-others-use-220240v/

>household electric shocks are still a serious problem in 2018.

Really? You have a good chance of getting shocked by a socket?

Changing hundreds of millions of appliances is a pretty tall order, especially since some people have appliances decades old and are too poor or reluctant to change them. I'm Canadian and the electrical standard is the same here.

Fun fact: My city is in the process of converting our street lamps (lights) to led's. The project was put on hold twice (two years overdue) and the cost increased by almost 40% because crews found horsehair wires and other ancient parts in parts of the inner city that were never changed since the 40's.

hope it blows up and burns you, faggot

interesting. what city is that?

>japan
>100v 50hz/100v 60hz
What the FUCK

Japan has made very stupid infrastructure decisions.

Winnipeg. The project is province wide though because Manitoba Hydro has a monopoly on all electrical infrastructure throughout the area

>Manitoba Hydro
Well, I just read that half the board of that company just resigned.

hueland here, it's actually pretty comfy. Here where I live every house has 127v and 220v outlets, we use 127v for general purpose and 220v for showers and some other heavy shit. Some regions use 220v exclusively tho, but that's not really an issue since basically everything sold here is bivolt.

Not surprised. Our past provincial government (left leaning) did some shady practices by spending a lot of money, including some from Manitoba Hydro questionably. Now a conservative government was voted in last year, as well as hydro imposing huge rate hikes because the debt piled on so high from the last government.

Our new premier has been slashing and burning a lot more than people expected, and isn't consulting with Hydro properly in a number of important issues. I'm guessing that's why a number of board members and staff are just getting fed up with the premier and leaving... A lot of people aren't happy, it's just kind of a mess right now.

I know this year that Hydro wants to increase rates by 8% for the next number of years to cover the crazy amount of debt it has incurred. Plus two projects (Keeyask generating station, and Bi-Pole 3 high voltage line) were started that won't get the returns they though are hurting us all a lot.

Attached: ja.jpg (1168x720, 156K)

What's the LD50 of voltage?

Attached: 1502144213788.jpg (184x184, 9K)

about 420µg

The US technically has mixed voltage (a single 220V outlet for an electric oven)

Huge swaths of land. Imagine running that much cable.... Fucking retard it would cost trillions

We wouldn't need new cable