/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous Thread:
>Free resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for for web-technologies
freecodecamp.com/
codecademy.com/
bento.io/ (is this still good?)
google.com

>Further resources
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Roadmap
youtu.be/Zftx68K-1D4 - Web Development in 2018
jsfiddle.net/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: wdg_seasons_greetings_4.png (1280x720, 187K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/raw/9Y3fZa9R
1001fonts.com/barbatrick-font.html
etherbots.io/
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/background-attachment
fontello.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=k7n2xnOiWI8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

sry Sup Forums blocks my code in the post

pastebin.com/raw/9Y3fZa9R

Attached: 1521041995896.png (657x539, 110K)

>all oyu need is some side-scrolling text and your all set with your web 1.0 site

Don't talk to me or my website's son ever again.

Also, it seems like every web 3.0 site looks exactly the same.

true, from one lame standard to another. I sure love scroll locking and parallax backgrounds

What's the best ORM helper for php?
Anyone use RedBean?

Just took a quick look at the docs and it looks awesome!
R::nuke();

inb4 php-hating nodejs SipBoys

php and nodejs are both shit, as is ORM

anyone know any fonts i can use with CSS that look like 1001fonts.com/barbatrick-font.html but less shit?

Just use Laravel and the Eloquent ORM

as you scroll down the page there's like a fixed space-y background, but when you get near the bottom it seems like its replaced by a different fixed background

etherbots.io/

anyone know how I can achieve this? or am I stupid and missing something really obvious

it just looks like a bunch of elements with their own backgrounds and one background-image on the body

Hibernate

typical parallax across the whole thing then the last one has a different background, it's exactly the same as the previous "dark" parts but there's an image instead of a dark gradient

>etherbots.io/

This is getting ridiculous. What is that, 4 backgrounds?

>when you website is a black page if JS is disabled.

We need to have like an intervention for everyone's addiction to JS.

>not doing that via CSS
You won't get much in terms of extensive parallax but you'll be able to at least accomplish that with the backgrounds with absolute positioning, z-index, etc. There's no reason one should rely on JS for simple shit like that.

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/background-attachment

Who here laravel brainlet. I'm having a lot of problems dealing with the learning curve, after using CI for my past projects.

anyone noticed the npm UI changed? i don't even know why people bother changing things for worse.

didnt even know npm had a gui desu

that was my reaction when i saw the news earlier

*triggered*

Attached: fytyft.jpg (1013x894, 133K)

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Attached: RESPONSIVE DESIGN.png (506x852, 57K)

Working with a legacy codebase. Some parts use jQuery UI and I want to fucking clean that shit out.
Can't use a framework though. Luckily i think it's just a few smaller implementations like date/time pickers and some draggable things and the like. What's a good alternative to replace it with, or is it worth the hassle?

goodness fuck

>when you hire Pajeet

Attached: CSS is AWESOME.jpg (503x665, 52K)

does it mean i cannot bash $ npm install anymore without logging in ?

When will dipshits posess the " if it aint broke, dont change the layout!" mentality?

NPM is a shit org.

>sry Sup Forums blocks my code in the post
This shit is annoying as fuck. Isn't that what [ code ] blocks are for? To protect against XSS?

[ code ] blocks are just for formatting. Sup Forums already escapes any html you put into your posts anyway, like if I do this it doesn't actually embed that tag. They just block when you use a lot of html declarations as an extra precaution I guess. Even when they're just normal tags, not even script or whatever.

Sup Forums blocks random code snippets with or without HTML in them. I nor any other regular user knows what sets the spam filter off

What happened to the discord server?

script tags seem to also make it sperg out

there was a discord server?

Just like write there. I tried doing script but got connection error.

>pic related

Attached: connectionError.png (726x394, 43K)

"connection error" often means that you have to use the form at the top of the thread

how does that make any sense if it POSTs to the same place?

Wizard.
Noted. Thanks, user

Hm, this is true. Perhaps there's different client-side validation for the separate forms? I don't see why they would do this, though.

Sorry if ionic isn't webdev enough, but FUCK working with ionic. Making the project is a breeze but when you have to make the build for android or ios or install any plugin the entire building explodes into flames.

Guy in Texas looking for job, I can get you one in southlake.

How hard is it to legally set up your own freelancing shit, or is it just better to let pajeet rape your asshole on some freelancing site?

how did you know i'm still here

I didn't, just threw it out there in case you read it tomorrow.

What are some "must-do" things before pushing a create-react-app as production?

throwaway [email protected]

check out glitch.com, free hosting for nodejs

I have a custom fontello icon font so that I can easily encode symbols on a web page. I'm on a mac, and I used to have a program that could tell me the HTML number codes for all of the various character symbols, (like  for example) but I switched laptops and don't have that anymore. Is there a simple online way that I can upload my font and see what the HTML number codes are for the font character icons??

fontello.com/

Attached: Fontello-font-icons.png (1182x745, 149K)

I'll send you an email tomorrow. I have work in 6 hours so I'm going to bed.

The job is PHP btw but you don't have to know it to get the job. You just have to be able to answer a stupid easy logic puzzle.

Is there any packages for react, that can help record web page?

i'll have to create a new throwaway, but i'll be on

Don't listen to them, RedBean is the comfiest.
You can always move to others on a later stage if you ever need more performance.
I haven't found any other php ORM that makes you save that much time and does all that magic under the hood.

I just started a Junior Developer job this Monday (specifically, MEAN-stack development) and I'm concerned I'm not picking it up quick enough.

I have experience with front end technologies but the MEAN-stack is a fucking lot of complicated stuff on top of that.

Has anyone had a similar experience and, if so, how did it turn out?

>>when you hire Pajeet
this is probably an error due to flex box. doubt pajeet knows how to use it, it was probably an sjw gurl programmer

Is it worth getting any of the Amazon certificates?

Being a full time Angular dev, I tried to build a blog with this shit. It just doesn't work

Angular Universal (for SEO) just doesn't work with firebase-functions. I get bugs and errors left and right.

What should I use instead of Angular to generate static pages. Generators like Jekyll or Hugo fucking suck, working with those I feel like some liberal arts person who never did any programming in his life.

Attached: 5847ea22cef1014c0b5e4833.png (482x512, 9K)

It's a subtle marketing trick. Users are very unlikely to choose the middle tier anyway so this nudges them over to the enterprise tier just a little more.

react?

Vanilla JS + CSS + HTML

done.

>defending your shitty pajeet tier garbage code

No, the height is defined by how much text is in each box, if you edit less/more words in it the height changes.

Also it's not even a grid system. It just has 33% width and is floated, so it looks fucking stupid and doesn't fit properly at anything less than a desktop resolution.

BONUS MEME: they're not even styling things with classes, they're using like a thousand fucking ids

This is fucking atrocious, even for a junior.

Vanilla is boring and I hate facebook. What about SSR with Vue? How is NUXT?

Good luck being a master web dev if you find vanilla JS to be boring.

>Why do i have to drive this manual car instead of an automatic?

Hey dude, thanks for looking it over. First I've heard of Object.keys(). Looks very compact and refactored. :3

Look, my blog is supposed to show potential employers I know about front-end-dev-ops, eg setting up the framework I will be hired to work with

There are more frameworks than people in this world.

Just pick a easy one like django/flask

if you have to ask these questions, you ain't gotta clue about this field

no

>Yeah user all you need to get hired is some basic projects made in the LAMP, MEAN, or MERN stack
>Oh cool, now all you gotta do is learn these 3 dozen other things!

There's just so much to learn. It's insane if knowing all this stuff is require for an entry level full-stack/backend job.

Attached: meirlerrday.png (542x512, 52K)

> Just pick a easy one like Rails

At what point can you start looking for webdev jobs if you're self taught? Just finished first website with a little bit of JS for whistles, but mostly html/css. Should i start applying now or dip into a framework?

spotted the bootcamper retard who got tricked into a 3 month ROCKSTAR CODER meme for $10k but came out with basic knowledge of html/css/js and a bit of very basic back end todo app ability

Is this the proper way of binding query variable using RedBean?
You know, to prevent sql injections and shiet, just like pdo
$title = "SQL Dreams";
$book = R::findOne( 'book', ' title = ? ', [ $title ] );
echo $book;

They wouldn't have hired you if they felt like you couldn't pick it up. Take a deep breath and tackle each aspect at a time, you'll do just fine.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your educational/experience background? I've been learning the MERN stack while getting my Bachelors and I'm nervous about finding work when I finish school.

Attached: 1517094039892.jpg (1920x1080, 512K)

Not even remotely close.

Thanks for the kind words friend!

So I'm in the North West of England, and my educational background is that I did a Bachelors in English and then didn't get a decent job off of that.

While working admin in a sales office for the past 12 months I started to learn front end stuff in my spare time (usually 2 hours or so after work) and about 2 months ago, after some awful internal changes at work, I decided enough was enough and started applying for junior dev jobs. I built a few cute tools in pure JS (my favourite is my Pomodoro clock) and apparently that was all enough to get into a spot.

Nice, I actually built a Pomodoro when I was running through freecodecamp so I guess that means I have a shot. Good luck with your new job!

I needed to keep building things and I figured the best practice would was to replicate existing tools since it's easier to tell if it's functional.

The Pomodoro is my favourite thing I've made, it's not perfect but I'm very proud of it.

Fun fact: I almost got accepted into an IT consultancy for software testing based purely on a bit of background reading. I didn't, but the person whose fault that is is getting sacked. Fun shit.

If your studies are computing related, you're laughing, bruv.

Attached: 14ed5c37-306e-4e27-be01-d99482fc2998.gif (360x270, 418K)

Professional front-end dev of 7 years here.
If you want help with anything that has to do with pure HTML/CSS/JS, let me know.

Attached: 137988_340.jpg (282x340, 41K)

Is there some lightweight IDE that will just let me play with a simple HTML file with inline JS plus a JS and a CSS files? I just want to be able to see what some called function does without hunting down its code, without having the IDE load a million modules for shit like Silverlight or whatever the fuck.

Attached: gqCUV0M.jpg (604x407, 48K)

I think maybe icomoon.com might have that functionlity.

Chrome Dev Tools?

Brackets

1. how much money have you made so far a a front end dev?

2. what's the hardest problem you had to solve in your job?

3. post resources that helped you reach where you are today

There's no real definitive answer to that question. Whenever you know (/strongly believe) that you're able to do the job you're applying for, would be the right time.

>how much money have you made so far a a front end dev?
Started out at 2800€/month, for 6 months, then got a raise to 3500€/month, and after a year to ~4k a month. Haven't really felt the need to make more, as that would most likely mean more responsibilities and/or less coding and more managing coworkers/clients. I like coding, and 4k/month is quite enough for now.

>what's the hardest problem you had to solve in your job?
There hasn't really been anything difficult per say. I got my first job at a point where I was already pretty experienced in front-end and back-end. So my skills covered everything that was expected of me. The only times when I've actually had to learn something new, were when I was required to use some specific library/framework to work on a project.
I've mostly focused on keeping my job as-is, instead of progressing in my career, because I feel like this is where I want to be and what I want to do. So my skill-requirements havent really changed during this time.

But coming up with a new design always has its challenges, and sometimes I do get artistic block. So I guess that'd be the most challenging problem I have to solve often.

>post resources that helped you reach where you are today
>MDN
>Stack Exchange
>regex101 is free resources like webfonts, icons, stock photos (stocksnap, font-awesome, google fonts)
>frontendchecklist.io is pretty gud
>realfavicongenerator.net is a life-saver
>online PHP compilers for time-saving snippet-testing
>Sublime Text for text-editing

Can Mutation Observers detect changes in localStorage?

Another question about Mutation Observers. How bad would it be not to call the disconnect() method on the observer? I have something which needs to be observed always.

would probably be even better to get the board and thread ID from the URL instead, like
const pathParts = location.pathname.split("/")
const board = pathParts[1]
const threadNum = pathParts[3]
const storedPosts = Object.keys(JSON.parse(localStorage.getItem('Sup Forums-track-'+board+'-'+threadNum) || [])).map(el => el.slice(2))
for(const postNum of storedPosts){
document.getElementById("p" + postNum).style.background = '#f5f5f5'
}

and a default value, in case no postNums exist in localStorage

I would say webpack but you sound reeeeeally dumb so maybe Wix of Squarespace is your speed.

What part feels complicated to you?

Love that pathname.split.

>tfw /wdg/ is a positive community focused on learning and sharing knowledge

Attached: kLJO3gy.jpg (750x739, 32K)

React and Vue also can generate static pages with Next.js for React and Nuxt.js for Vue

>Jekyll,Hugo,Hexo,etc.
It depends on what you want and need.
For many use cases they are a very good fit and they don't write your HTML,CSS,JS by themselves.
Hope you are not confusing them with those online website builders.

oh just saw this, but yeah it's pretty good imo.
Don't have a direct comparison to Next.js, but I guess they have very similar functionality and do a good job.
You can run it on a server for dynamic server-side-rendering, compile to single-page-app or generate static HTML pages for each if your Vue-Pages.

youtube.com/watch?v=k7n2xnOiWI8

Attached: 1446326290307.png (457x723, 56K)

jsfiddle.net or codepen.io in the browser?
Or a good editor like vscode in combination with a simple dev server you can start from the command line. I know that's easily possible with Python or Node and you will be able to find it with google.

Webpack-Dev-Server for more serious stuff.

>realfavicongenerator.net
oh wow that's neat.
Wouldn't have imagined that someone made a website to check favicons like that.
Also another reminder how many retarded details you have to pay attention to, when you want to produce something with a degree of polish.

I don't use a framework and just have a single main.js file with my JS.

Would I benefit from switching Gulp out with Webpack?

Only real difference I can find is the dependency aspect, which I can't utilize anyway.

I would imagine it uses PDO under the hood, or at least I hope it does

he did a pretty good job on his site. hopefully things will settle down this year with the huge and increasing popularity of react so that we won't have to worry about new memes to get jobs. react will be the new jquery.

whats the best or most common way to check your code for browser compatibility?

caniuse & MDN

no i mean to test my websites and mobile apps to see if they look right and work correctly

Either just have the browsers you often test for installed on your dev machine(s), or something like:
browserling.com
browserstack.com
browsershots.org