Why would you not use a programming language that is pure?

Why would you not use a programming language that is pure?

Attached: haskell-logo.png (397x131, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HUUApOofaLQ
sigops.org/sosp/sosp09/papers/klein-sosp09.pdf
wiki.haskell.org/Haskell_in_industry
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because it's usually annoying.

Striving for complete mathematical purity is impossible because random numbers, dates, and user input violate the f(x) must always equal f(x) property of functions (random() on one line would not equal random() on another).

I say this as someone who is very anti-state and pro-function, by the way. But it's possible to go too far.

>random on one line would not equal random on another
but the input to the random function can always be different

I know nothing of Haskell but I really enjoy MIT lisp. Would it be fun?

Because I actually have work to do.

I have an array filled with 13482 items. I have a new item to add to the array. array.put? No, I create a new array with 13483 items.

Attached: disdain for plebs.jpg (400x462, 25K)

Then it is not pure.

is there even a way to implement an array with O(1) indexed retrieval?

Fuck your ideals, I want to make money.

thats how arrays work
if you want to add new elements use a list

has anything of note been developed in haskell?

>Striving for complete mathematical purity is impossible because random numbers, dates, and user input violate the f(x) must always equal f(x)

What if I tell you, there are ways to deal with random numbers, dates and user input inside pure functions.

>m'onads

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (812x720, 56K)

it's too pure and beautiful for this world. And that's I think the biggest problem- it's more of an art piece than a language that is practical in day to day shit coding.

Haskell sucks.

If you want to use a FP language use Scala or Clojure. You get the JVM plus something for decent people to work with.

youtube.com/watch?v=HUUApOofaLQ

Some guy made a wolfenstein raycast clone. I think we can all agree this is the most accomplished thing to come out of the language to date.

Because I want productivity

applicative functor

yes, otherwise no one would be using the language
Data.Array

Well, if your memory is immutable you know that the memory isn't going to change. So, if you allocated a list and then concatenated something to it like this:
a = [1..100]
b = a ++ [101]

you can treat a and b as distinct but in reality they share all but one locations in memory.

Scala is basically a clusterfuck of OOP and FP ideas stitched together that runs on the JVM. I don't see how this is any better than JavaScript or any other multi-paradigm shit tier language.

Anyone have experience with F#? Is it more practical than Haskell?

>complete mathematical purity is impossible

What is Coq? What is Agda?

Attached: coq.png (1346x735, 110K)

virgin language or virgin programmers

Oh, jesus christ, not this fucking guy.
Right off the bat, the specification for the seL4 microkernel.
sigops.org/sosp/sosp09/papers/klein-sosp09.pdf

Then there's this list. You may recognize some of these names (Facebook, Microsoft, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Google).
wiki.haskell.org/Haskell_in_industry

>t. pajeet

The world would have been a better place if Java had died the death that it deserved in the early 2000s, Inferno had taken off, and the Dis VM was what we had instead of the fucking JVM, and Limbo instead of Java. Rob Pike is a genius, and it's a damn shame he wound up at Google.

((((lisp ((is ((great))))))))

Attached: 39718.jpg (446x720, 55K)

isn't it copy-on-write at least

That's cute that you like to larp as a computer scientist, but it's called MIT Scheme (which is a lisp), and I doubt you've made it past the introduction of SICP.

>what is IO a

Woah man. My bad. MIT scheme right. Fresh never frozen asshole.

WOW, GOOD THING ATTENTION TO DETAIL ISN'T REQUIRED AT ALL TO BE A GOOD PROGRAMMER

Because I like slutty langages

You sound like a petulant retard. You're going to be a poor software engineer.

containment board for man-children is Haskell is used quite a lot in fintech (even yuropoor is seeing adoption of Haskell, and we're absolute java and c# retards over here), and it is gaining popularity every day. A platform like the one rentec has is much more impressive than a shitty video game that you can shit-up in few hours of boredom.

Not really

Got any reasons? I'm thinking of picking it up because I like Haskell but I'd like to be able to use a more mature framework like .NET to make things that are actually useful.

I've actually tried it and liked it. It's very strict and good for proving mathematical theorems for scientists or creating practically useless specifications for autists. I don't do any of that. It's a waste of time to try using it for anything else seriously. Learn a real language, don't waste time learning how to ride a unicorn, they don't exist.

Are there even an graphics libraries for Haskell ala SDL?

pure shit?

mathematicians are stupid assholes

HolyC