YouTube Increasing Ads Between Music Videos So More Users Pay for Upcoming Streaming Service

>Lyor Cohen, YouTube's global head of music, says the company is trying to "frustrate" free YouTube users to that they're subsequently "seduced" into paying for a monthly subscription. YouTube's unnamed subscription service is described as a "necessary conterweight" to Apple Music and Spotify. "You're not going to be happy after you are jamming to Stairway to Heaven and you get an ad right after that," said Cohen.

Will this be a successful strategy? Will you subscribe? Or will this be the first salvo in a new round of anti anti anti adblock wars, because surely, YouTube knows the first response by the users will be to try and block the ads. Will the technology of freedom be able to do battle with the Tube of You?

Attached: konata_watches_youtube.png (480x336, 217K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developers.google.com/machine-learning/crash-course/ml-intro
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Cohen
every time

you do realize that they already have a music streaming service. technically its included in a YT red sub.

Another one? They already have two streaming subscription services, Google Play Music and YouTube Red. What's the point of a third one?

I don't listen to music on YouTube obviously. I wouldn't think anyone here does.

>using youtube to stream music
If you browse this site and this is a problem for you, please go back.

Honestly they probably don't care much about desktop users anymore if an increasing number of users exclusively uses YouTube through Google's mobile apps.

Google being Google. At least Play Music streaming subscriptions and YouTube Red are the same package. They still didn't manage to merge both as promised last year.

>((Lyor Cohen))

Attached: 1516462200435s.jpg (125x125, 3K)

what ad?

I'm worried that it's the big camel nose under the tent. The ads will get longer, more numerous, and begin interrupting the video you're watching at several points. I hope the adblock warriors will be able to counter the tricks that YouTube will try to use to thwart freedom.

>streaming instead of downloading
you deserve what you get

Merely a coincidence, stupid goyim.

>trying to "frustrate" free YouTube users
soo the majority of them?

good thing YT has audio only streams :^)

/biz/ major here. No it is a terrible strategy, it will have a small benefit, while ruining there customer image.

I mean google is closer to a natural monopoly, rather then monopolistic competition. It costs a lot to run large servers that host video. They might be able to get away with shit like this, but it will fuck them over in a decade or two.

Also, MIS, so databases and shit.

>install uBlock Origin
>ad-free Stairway to Heaven
what's the point of this again?

sometimes I do if my server goes down, but it's fake and gay. ads in the middle of songs, fucking garbage. bandcamp is still okay

I'm guessing that YouTube must be planning to launch some ads that somehow block uBlock, right? Because like you said, what would be the point?

>adblock filters update list of filters to include youtube's ublock blocker
>update uBlock Origin
>no longer a problem

Normies don't use adblockers. I bet their profits cover the proportionally smaller amount of people who use it.
So they'll probably update their adds, then adblockers will update too and that's it.

>enter artist name and then topic
>youtube-dl -f 251 -x --audio-format "opus"
>get almost everything in high quality .opus

Attached: fuko.jpg (993x1500, 306K)

>YouTube's unnamed subscription service
Wait, so what happened to YouTube Red(tm) thing?
>YouTube ads
A fucking what?

I guess the bare metal bottom line is, YouTube wants more money, so they're going to deliver more ads.

>-f 251 --audio-format "opus"
>explicitly choose format
>potentially force transcoding
you really that retarded to skim the man page?
>Since the end of April 2015 and version 2015.04.26, youtube-dl uses -f bestvideo+bestaudio/best as the default format selection

just do -x, faggot

w-what, care to elaborate?

Attached: jews-shut-it-down.png (949x531, 263K)

Youtube is free. Nobody is going to pay for it because everybody knows that Youtube is a free service.

>jamming to Stairway to Heaven

Attached: fellowkids.jpg (900x720, 88K)

came to post this, although I did use YouTube to find some pretty cool music, then went to buy it or download it

*+on their phones
~40% is a reasonable estimate of users that use adblockers on desktop computers now.
Google mostly countered that by lowering video resolution to 360p when YouTube has been running for several minutes in a background tab.

Attached: screenshot.png (800x1219, 209K)

you use windows?

I've never noticed any ads on YouTube.

Worked for Spotify

>not using mpsyt + mpv + youtube-dl

I use ublock to stream music off YouTube on my phone

>Lyor Cohen

Sup Forums is always right

They're getting much smarter with adblocking.
For example, the released this ML crash course that takes a bit of bullshittery to make work.

developers.google.com/machine-learning/crash-course/ml-intro

they've been "working on a fix" since the day of release but if you have an adbock you can't see jack shit

>music ripped on phone
>ublock on pc
What are ads?

We block ads on JewTubes anyway, who gives a fuck.

Source?

>Cohen
kek

actually, the user paying google directly is a positive innovation in the business model, effectively transforming the product (the user) into the customer. This way, instead of ad companies being the customer, and the users the product, a more healthy relationship is established, as it is with 99% of all other company-end user relationships, where the user is the customer, forcing the company to be responsive to them, not some shadowy 3rd party MNC with interests in various nasty global schemes

Isn't that illegal? Like raising the price of something right before it goes on "sale."

>paying for being spied on

spotify did that shit right out of the gate though, its a completely different equation dropping this after being relatively nonexistent

Jokes on them I use an adblocker and download the videos using youtubedl because I'd rather have videos saved onto my computer even if they're just random stupid youtube videos. Fuck streaming anything ever period. I'd download twitch streams if I could still interact with the stream chat using dimensional time-wizard magic.

All of a sudden the shuffle button on playlists has broken for me to where it loops the 2nd video in every single playlist over and over. It wasn't doing this yesterday. Anyone have a solution or is this just YouTube's end being stupid?

>implying Google couldn't get around this by starting to offer a reverse proxy service where ads are edited by the reverse proxy to appear as first party resources, then when you request those resources the reverse proxy service requests the ads/other tracking scripts and sends them back to you as those first party resources effectively circumventing all host based adblockers/script controls/etc.

That's a lot of ads.

Attached: Untitled.png (850x46, 35K)

>Will you subscribe?
No. Youtube's selective censorship has been increasing rapidly. There is no way I can support any Google service financially. I'll keep using ublock origin and if that stops working then I'll probably just stop using YouTube.

I thought everyone had an ad blocker?

Where else can I find 1080p music?

What's up with the ads showing in the bar? I've noticed it for a few months.

>HE DOESNT LISTEN TO 4K MUSIC
UMM WHAT IS THIS 2009

>have android apps from before you[RED]tube was created
>still work
>can lock/sleep phone screen without music stopping
>no ads

really, what are you guys doing wrong?

sounds retarded considering the various other music streaming services that people already use that don't put ads in the middle of your song

>streaming
Just get FLAC files from Bandcamp

High quality transcode of a 128kbps mp3

it's almost like they want me to pirate
(which I've been doing anyways since the RIAA lawsuit days)

>Youtube creates an ad blocker blocker
Can someone please start working on an ad blocker blocker blocker just to be on the safe side?

they need to do something to the terrible sound quality first.

How do they "increase ads" if listening to a playlist of music there's a 10-60 second ad every single song that must be skipped?

Some of them are fucking awful, it goes to the next song and plays a 5 fucking minute ad longer than the last 2 songs you listened to.

Who the fuck wouldn't block these ads?

>have adblock plus extension on browser
>havent seen a youtube ad since 2013

>what is ublock origin

I don't see or hear any ads when listening to music on youtube, and I don't expect to with this change.

wow. what a fucking jew

what are ads?

absolute units

>already paying for Play Music
>still would get ads in YT if I didn't have ublock after they promised it would be the same thing

I guess only USA has YT red?

Why do I never see ads on Youtube?

Because adblockers have been a requirement to be able to use the internet for more than a decade.

What's an ad?

>Will this be a successful strategy? Will you subscribe? Or will this be the first salvo in a new round of anti anti anti adblock wars, because surely, YouTube knows the first response by the users will be to try and block the ads. Will the technology of freedom be able to do battle with the Tube of You?
There are still no anti-anti-anti-adblock wars in Youtube's back end that just serves the video to the website, and the website puts up its defences. Surely, intercepting the video from behind will completely circumvent any blocking attempts? Judging by my screenshot, the strategy works nicely.

Attached: Screenshot_20180323_071633.png (1324x793, 1001K)

use hooktube: bypass blocks and age restrictions, and download Vevo videos

Attached: sympho_ova_premux_001_4512.jpg (1280x720, 261K)

Wtf just use adblock you stupid nigger

Maybe Youtube needs to make an application, something similar to Spotify might work.

>YouTube Increasing Ads Between Music Videos So More Users Pay for Upcoming Streaming Service

No, it sounds more like a RIAA salvo, desperate for more money, because we fucking block ads and Google's not going to ban us, or VPN users who get stuck on Spotify's region locking. In either case, business as usual.

>Lyor Cohen is YouTube's global head of music

When tf did that shit happen??? I'm deleting it.

What a bold face fucking lie, at least be honest about it.

Attached: 2313214.png (827x110, 17K)

glad adaway still exists on android

also, it's not that hard to get dnsmasq + hosts filter running in your local network
I mean, you can even use a rpi with pi-hole if you're a lazy fuck

Attached: Robot cleaner.jpg (960x720, 53K)

exactly

you mean High quality transcode of a youtube transcode of a 128kbps mp3
yt don't into mp3

>tfw only have time to listen to music while driving so I just have a 32 gb zip diskette with a bunch of music always attached to my stereo

Attached: exde.png (500x497, 262K)

so glad I use mpv + youtube-dl

>listening to music on youtube
fucking degenerates

I archive music I like locally, but I sometimes like streaming music I haven't heard on a long time or for the first time on Youtube.

And while on that, I'm used to read what do people have to say on the comments about the music I'm currently streaming.

>what is adblock

Good thing I pirate all my music using YouTube converter sites.

One word:
>Newpipe

I listen to infinite looping music ripped from video games I own and I make FLAC rips of the rare audio CD I buy. None of this applies to me.

Stop listening to nigger "music," if you can even call that "noise" music.

Attached: adults.jpg (235x215, 7K)

YouTube hosts more than nigger ongo bongo, buttmunch.

>not using adblock in 2018

I've discovered so much new music through YouTube I would have never discovered otherwise. How else am I supposed to find new stuff?