Why did it die, Sup Forums?

Why did it die, Sup Forums?

Attached: perl.jpg (1000x400, 25K)

I don't know I thought a totally obfuscated scripting language was a pretty cool idea honestly.

it didn't

Totally obfuscated, yes, but you could do a fuckton with very, very little code. Perl 5 was like a swiss army laser, and was fun as hell (JAPH, Perl golf, Perl poetry, obfuscated perl contest, etc). Have programmers just gotten progressively dumber and less fun since the 90s?

>Have programmers just gotten progressively dumber and less fun since the 90s?
You don't have to be passionate anymore to work in IT.
You can cheat your way through a master degree and land a good job.
You should talk with CS students, beside the top 0.5% EVERYONE else cheat and copy/paste from the internet.

Marketing was really bad on it. Most people thought it was a regex parser with some programming functionality. Schools that did teach it only used to for regex parsing. The timing was also terrible. Java was the fresh new thing and dominating education and we are still waiting for that to leave in a lot of places.

Perl code is only as obfuscated or as readable as you make it. Larry Wall's entire idea behind Perl (him coming from classical linguistics background) was that it should be like natural languages, which have somewhat flexible grammar, pretty much unlimited number of ways to express a concept, can be spoken by a child or a professor (although on completely different levels, obviously), can form slangs/dialects etc.

These are all very cool ideas and the reason why many old-school hackers still love Perl. Unfortunately, they don't work well in multi-programmer projects, so the industry has moved towards the "there should be one and preferably only one obvious way to do shit", "let's all speak like 5 year olds" paradigm.

>You don't have to be passionate anymore to work in IT.

Attached: 1513521986787.png (669x545, 50K)

you work with people who aren't passionate about working in IT

Perl is hard(er) to master than other languages so people have missed its potential. I prefer it to python because I find it more fun to write but no one would volunteer to refactor someone else's perl scripts vs python.

Attached: 1520098310972.jpg (900x1200, 251K)

>let's all speak like 5 year olds

This.

If I were a better programmer I'd try to reimplement portage into perl. It kills me having to shuffle around python slots when perl5 would do the same work faster with less bloat.

Attached: 1512285479428.jpg (1006x1220, 207K)

which is why software and hardware quality decrease

PDL is still a thing, that some people still use, mainly medical and astronomers.

This guy killed it

Attached: cover.jpg (1437x940, 80K)

This is valid Perl 3.

Attached: perl1.png (555x365, 68K)

Attached: hopkins-listen.png (407x573, 50K)

Perl Lives!

Let the normies play in their sandboxes while us Perl masters continue to dominate the IT world

This is very amusing and I'm a Perl apologist.
Could you do something similar in 5 if you ommited use 'strict'[\code] ?

for fucks sake i've been writing tex all day and it's making me retarded

I think you should have a little lie down. You seem to be lacking a bit of sleep...

If you did this you would be my fucking hero.
Also if you're a Britbong, my sympathies reach out to you from Burgerland.

The guys is a sperg, someone had to put money at this because he made no sense.

True stories:
I took a perl class at community college in 2001. Only four of us out of 30 made it to the end. Heh the department head even interviewed me and she clearly thought this must have been the first time professor’s fault. I told her the prof was actually awesome but the other students didn’t have the background in systems or programming to grasp perl. They needed to make it a 300 level class instead.

Another story from just a couple of years ago, we give systems engineers programming tests at work and this guy submitted his code in perl. It embarrassingly took me several minutes of going what the fuck even is this shit before I realized it was perl. We hired him and he’s been great. I mostly write Python and Ruby these days (as a systems/devops engineer)

well it didn't, it will probably disappear over the next

Attached: hxhpc.jpg (472x479, 21K)

perl 6 was announced in 2000 which killed 5, then it went into dev hell for 15 years, killing the entire language

imagine the python 2 to 3 clusterfuck except 10x worse and if 3 never actually came out

That's beautiful

This, still in plenty of places.

People say often say this, and I agree that graybeard hackers like Perl for the flexibility, but what is usually omitted is how other languages manage to be as or more flexible than Perl without devolving into line noise. Not having sigils plays a big role in this; take Scheme/Racket and Smalltalk as examples.

because typing more symbols than letters is hard on the hands

/thread

>Perl 3.
fuck off