The Meme is Dead

'Matador head of sales Rusty Clarke revealed to the A.V. Club that the debacle cost the label more than $50,000, with costs expected to rise. “It could look even more grim, because this is also a worldwide release,” Clarke told the A.V. Club. “It’s a substantial cost.” Clarke also said it was the first time the label had been forced to recall a record from retail, and called it "an unprecedented situation."

Car Seat Headrest's Will Toledo was also interviewed for the story. “For the label, this was a nightmare situation,” he said. “People were crying; people were not happy about it.”'

he's getting dropped the second those new records come out

Other urls found in this thread:

ew.com/article/2016/05/20/car-seat-headrest-teens-of-denial
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wasn't even his responsibility to clear the sample.
He's not getting dropped.

man they always had pavement records new at a super cheap price at my record shop, i always thought that was super coool of Matador

Kek, his career is already falling apart

Good, that's what they get for signing a hack.

i doubt he's getting dropped. from the way both parties made the situation sound, it was the label's fault far more than toledo's. also, CSH got really good press from sources outside of the normal shit so it's probably been sellin' pretty well.

Right pic is Will before this happened. Left is Will after.

He's anything but a hack.

Matador is one of the best labels and they really don't deserve him

>he's getting dropped the second those new records come out

Nah, I reckon Matador's gonna keep him around and force him to tour relentlessly until they recoup their losses.
By the time they make the money back CSH's 15 minutes of buzzband status will be finished and then they will drop him.
Serves him right for being such an extremely dull, lying furry faggot.

>st's Will Toledo was also i

It wasn't Will's fault, the other guy arsed them about and screwed it up for a young new act

The amount you people spam Will, I should think he'd easy make that $50,000 again

Fuck off Ric

Not even a shortcoming on his behalf. Clearing the sample for commercial release is what you have a label for to begin with, and it's pretty fucking laughable that a label as established and known as Matador could make such an elementary mistake.

Someone's getting fired, but it's not Willy.

Sorry to you bitter losers whose neo-jam garage revival bandcamp albums have yet to break double digit downloads.

Crying in the offices tho

that must have took some coaxing

I don't like Matador though.

i'm so sick of seeing this guys stupid fucking face everywhere. when are his 15 minutes up?

excuse me?

>Sorry to you bitter losers whose neo-jam garage revival bandcamp albums have yet to break double digit downloads.

Jokes on you, in fact we have almost 21 downloads

This, I feel bad for Matador. They're a great label who signed a hack and now they're paying for it.

i don't see why they would drop an artist if it wasn't even his fault. other than that i see so many headlines with him because of this incident now that they sure as hell won't drop him now that he's getting famous. maybe if his next album blows.

they've lots of good stuff. Check out Algiers. AOTY 2015

Soon, be patient, the hype will burn out and he'll get dropped for some other buzzy hack. These labels keep making the pick of artists with no staying power.

Ideally I guess youd want an indie band that doesnt need sample clearance

>Algiers
I Can't Believe It's Not Death Grips!

made me shig a bit

I don't like them because I don't like how they push CSH and Iceage.

Their marketing is very heavy-handed and not sly either.

i hope there is somebody good playing around the same time as him at pitchfork, i will not be there for his set.

yeah, I mean, I don't really follow that stuff, but I can see why someone would be bothered by it

Why is Ric being a dick?

As everyone else has said, it wasn't really his fault. If they tried to dump him over this, I have a feeling he could sue the shit out of them over contract, depending.

What happened?

>$50,000
How does it feel to have your shit so fucked by this guy?

People like Ott were blaming Will, but Matador were the ones who signed him in the first place, and I don't think they really knew what to do with him.

He's not really someone you can aggressively push as "the next big thing," he doesn't have the personality for it. So they've been been jamming a square peg in a round hole and the backlash against him on Sup Forums and other places is down to mismanagement.

the fifth song on Teens of Denial originally ended with a semi-cover of Just What I Needed by The Cars. They thought they were in the legal clear with it until about 2 weeks before the album was supposed to come out, meaning all the CDs and vinyl they'd made was worthless and had to be recalled as destroyed. That, along with making new ones and whatever they made Cars man to make him happy, is gonna cost Matador over 50k.

haha contrarian losers

Really? I mean cmon, name another person making music aside from car seat headrest.

Literally every other musician.

the price of being a hipster

like who? i can't even think of any. you didn't list any either.

will toledo is only musician confirmed

Yeah this.

Is this twilight zone episode? I literally can't think of one other person matador really kicked out scooping up the last musician ok earth

nice job samefag

really sticking it to them!! Idiot.

Not his fault. The sample/interpolation was originally cleared but the guy from the Cars pulled authorization at the last second.

I want nothing but the worst things for this lying idiot's career. Good riddance.

why would you cover a song on your first major release without getting permission lmao

He ripped off a song, how is that not a hack?

Why is $50,000 is a lot of money for a record label?

HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW HOW TO CLEAR A CARS SAMPLE? IT WAS AN EXPENSIVE MISTAKE

car seat headrest fucking sucks and i dont care

I'm glad. I hope this ends the vinyl meme once and for all.

Why'd Ric pull his support at the last minute?

JUST (what i needed)

He did get permission, but the permission was pulled after the records were already shipped.

Kill yourself will

see
Well it's a small label. It's not one of the big labels.

Havent visited Sup Forums in a while, what's the deal with this Toledo guy, did he use to post here or something

This, stop talking about this disgustingly mediocre faggot

Algiers are painfully boring and their s/t is far from 2015's AOTY.

lol at people thinking 50k is a lot of money

There's some debate about whether he used to post here, his bandcamp page was posted here around 2012, but whenever it was posted it was never implied it was Will himself doing it, the posts were usually along the lines of "this is pretty good, check it out". Will has also denied ever posting here in a recent interview. "Go to bed Will" / "Fuck off Will" are memes.

Matador are old though $50k should be no big deal to them. Most rap labels keep that just for bail money.

Don't they have some drug money lying around.

for a label this size it will interfere with the budget of future projects for sure.

What's this business about Will being a furry?

The archive only goes back to 2012

he never supported it

Still, it must be a bitch to spend 50 grand on one artist especially one that just signed with you

All of us sudden I don't like CSH anymore

literally the only correct post itt

when did Sup Forums's regular contrarion faggotry elevate to the even worse faggotry of tall-poppy syndrome

Summer, friendo.

Don't even like CSH but anyone saying the label will drop him and/or this is his fault is a moron. Ric Ocasek sounds like a huge douche honestly.

I haven't seen a definitive word but in his initial statement he said that they got permission from someone who didn't even have the rights to the song (maybe a misunderstanding about what record label held the rights). So he never gave permission but they asked him at the last minute after they found out their initial dealings were bogus and he said no.

i'm now picturing stephen malkmus lingering in the doorway of some hapless matador peon's office, slumping down in a chair and requesting some hard china white

thanx for changing the filename back my good friend, meme on! :v)

and what's wrong with garage-revival bandcamps? nothing. there needs to be more of that shit.

it's true, Matador if anything looks more relevant than ever through this stuff. Even their downbeat adult-contemporary electronic music Haelos is a shit load better than the genre on average. I saw them live. Matador seems to be coming back from being boring shite.

So happy this gay furfag is being brought down tbqh

he finally heard the song.

>>ew.com/article/2016/05/20/car-seat-headrest-teens-of-denial
kek in this article he denies that he ever posted on Sup Forums

That has to be fake

Of course it is