Discuss

>Discuss

Attached: microsoft_and_linux.png (613x675, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_documents
techrepublic.com/article/will-microsoft-love-linux-to-death-shuttleworth-and-stallman-on-whether-windows-10-is-free-softwares/
edition.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9810/01/whylinux.idg/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Reminder that MS was basically an UNIX shop in the 1980s and very early 1990s

more like microsoft needs linux to be competitive in the business market
linux is the chad

Aw yiss Xenix

EMBRACE

Didn't torvalds say he would know he had won when Microsoft started doing Linux? Or something like that?

> A multi billion dollar corporation needs an open-source project to be competitive in business market
Stay delusional freetards

imagine being this brain damaged

Still doesn't work well enough for my needs. My hope is that Microsoft will nix (no pun intended) their frankenstein 10 system and build a totally new system from the ground up, with talented devs, not pajeet code monkeys, and a sane design. No more having to restart every time you install something or change a setting, for example. That's just one of many many complaints I have.

Sneaky bastards buying influence.
Only brainlets trust that "love" shit.

Linux Foundation actually loves Microsoft. They get lots of money from them. I doubt Torvalds would make any Microsoft jokes today.

Attached: 1210948486334.jpg (478x457, 28K)

Clearly one of these dominates most markets. Guess which one.

Attached: 1497430342962.png (1682x607, 140K)

EXTEND

A windows on *nix would be a linux distro riced to look like windows. That's the max you're going to get

You realize that RedoxOS is going to btfo both Windows and Linux, right?

GNU/Linux*

Fuck off stallman

> Still doesn't work well enough for my needs
Good. MS must not kill Linux.

Literally what?

>build a totally new system from the ground up, with talented devs, not pajeet code monkeys, and a sane design
They are moving in the exact opposite direction though: make everything a walled garden like iOS. Secure boot and ARM PCs.
MS plans to drop the Win32 API in the next few years anyway, what will stay is the metro framework that could theoretically run on a new kernel too. They will get LOTS of revenue since everything will have to be sold through their store where they get 30% of of a sale

Attached: 1499020571604.jpg (508x493, 24K)

+1 sheckel into your microsoft account

>he doesn't know about Redox OS

you're retarded if you think this is happening

actually fucking retarded

I'll just leave this here for you underage kids

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_documents

TL;DR: Microsoft since 1998, planned this in order to absolve linux

Sure
Even though MS was shilling this thing already a year ago and betatesting it with the surface RT
Right, fucking retarded
Enjoy your mandatory upgrade to the """secure""" windows 10 S in 1-2 years
By the way, MS is already beginning to remove features from the pro version of 10 and making them enterprise only

>I may make jokes about Microsoft at times, but at the same time, I think the Microsoft hatred is a disease. I believe in open development, and that very much involves not just making the source open, but also not shutting other people and companies out. There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
>Linus

Attached: Linus-torvalds-with-Microsoft-800x450.jpg (800x450, 73K)

"Nix" as in the definition of the word, not *nix systems. That's why I said "no pun intended"

Being so brainwashed that you actually believe a multi billion dollar company does anything witout the goal of profit

>we put in a slightly modified VM
>this is totes ambitious guize pls love us

Why ? We're in agreement, but thank you for the source either way.

It's literally just a copy of cygwin
No idea why people praise it as some kind of revolution, guess they don't actually use it but are just shilling

Attached: KegWqRBRZ03mEoTCPSVKvSFMHQuRfYd0BAbYvTY-Mew.jpg (640x427, 88K)

techrepublic.com/article/will-microsoft-love-linux-to-death-shuttleworth-and-stallman-on-whether-windows-10-is-free-softwares/

It is unironically the best of both worlds

Attached: 1520752680415.gif (540x205, 3.23M)

worst*

The whole thing makes it easy to distinguish who in the community is a sheckle hungry faggot and who cares about free software. The only good part of the drama.

Attached: (You).jpg (500x456, 59K)

"If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won." - Linus Torvalds

edition.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9810/01/whylinux.idg/
That article is a relic.

Traitor!
Stallman is all we've got now. ;_;

It's definitely better than cygwin, but it's not a lot better.

one more left

What I don't get about this is if Linux, irrespective of what distro, is (according to M$) so insignificant why the fuck are M$ so hell bent on trying to get rid of it ?. It doesn't make logical sense.

And adopting linux will help them. What's your point?
At this point they stand more to gain by supporting linux than not. It's good business.

...EXTINGUISH

Attached: 1455080756681.png (674x425, 33K)

dude it's been 20 years now. the kids fresh out of college that microsoft hires today weren't even born. microsoft just fears linux might pose some threat in the current situation due to the disaster that was windows 10, it's been worse than the vista era. at this point i bet they just wanna secure the server market share, there's no point releasing new versions of windows for consumer desktop since people are increasingly moving to mobile, which has already taken over.

linux will be fine.

Because enterprise is where the real shekels are, and linux dominates there.

>linux dominates there
"No."

>Windows Desktop share : 91%
What's your point?

They can implement DirectX, Visual C++ libraries and Microsoft shit in general and make it work exactly like Windows.

we are in the "Embrace" phase, right?

Attached: microsoft11.png (418x309, 222K)

It'll be no different from your regular Linux distro

Desktops are dying. Microsoft has literally no market on Smartphones and a little share of enterprise.

it wasn't much more difficult before, t.b.h, you just had to pay more attention

MS shooting their own feet? that'd be truly awesome

Windows cooperates with laptop manufacturers to hijack Linux installation

What did they mean by this? Is sincere ask

>muh marketshare is gonna stay without innovation
remember kodak?
is right.
I wish they didn't just let windows phone die, it was nice to use.

Attached: kodak-fs8.png (523x217, 10K)

>tfw still have a Kodak

Attached: 1521171963769.png (658x662, 43K)

Microsoft unironically impress me with their server numbers

>remember kodak?
Well imagine if the only thing sold anywhere was kodak-only film and later memory cards. And later kodak only apps for smartphones.

Windows has gaymes, office and adobe, it's going nowhere.

Those number most likely include old government internet-facing servers and inter-company management servers / file servers. Most internet-facing servers are Linux.