Listening to this for the 3rd time, finally it's clicking on me, opinions on pic related Sup Forums?

Listening to this for the 3rd time, finally it's clicking on me, opinions on pic related Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquee_Moon#Legacy_and_influence
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's the point of guitar music when this is already made?

the title track is probably one of the masterpieces of guitar music imo, probably the most beautiful, visceral playing i've ever heard, that entire album to be honest, not just for guitar as well. Anything similiar to his? in my top 10 for sure

Friendly reminder that Marquee Moon is not post punk

>masterpiece of guitar music
I like it, but I don't see why nor how

Buy Contortions
Blank Generation
Radio Ethiopia

It's been discussed to death in books, but its heavily inspired by minimalism, which was completely different from the blues rock and prog rock of the time. It's stylistically very influential.

Just my opinion I guess :^)
Cheers duderino, already got contortions but not other two yet, Horses is dope

>not being blown away on first listen

Having to "get" music is pleb as fuck.

I don't know about that, since bands like Neu and TVU where already using minimalist influences on their music years and even a decade before them.
I still fail to see the connection with guitar music.
Also, influential to whom and how?

why can't it be post-punk?

Because none of the songs are post punk

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquee_Moon#Legacy_and_influence

Some critics see it as an obvious precursor to Alternative rock

>no
ok

this album might be a bit early for post punk but way before this television had already in what would be the first wave punk scene so it would make sense that theyre a bit ahead of the curve

I couldn't get past the first two tracks because of his voice.

Yeah, sure the band was influential, but not the title track, that's what I meant.

Not even that. Bands like Pere Ubu were already playing post punk style music during 75-76, and bands like Chrome had already released post punk albums in 77 (and probably 76, but haven't listened to that one).

Felt

>Yeah, sure the band was influential, but not the title track, that's what I meant.
Was that really what you meant? We were clearly discussing the album, not just a song off of it

i always had Daydream Nation as the percursor of alternative rock

Television had been playing this shit for years before Marquee Moon came out, it's actually a pretty late album given their career span

Hipster AC/DC.

Listen to it and try to figure out whether it's Tom Verlaine or Richard Lloyd playing, it's damn near impossible.

Yeah mean Contortions as in James chances and the Contortionists? If not I rec that, other than that Pop Group Y goes quite well

See That's the original post I replied to

Yeah, but the same can be said about Chrome and Pere Ubu, so Television were not the firsts

>not R Stevie Moore
Plen

You replied to two posts my friend. I was the other guy

literally one of the greatest albums of all time.
objectively top 10.

More to the point, Television shit all over Pere Ubu for fun

What do you guys think of Adventure though?

Genres aren't that black and white. All post-punk means is that a band played punk music with heavy influences in other types of music. It's neither an era of music nor some completely different type of rock music with nothing in common with punk. A single listen to Marquee Moon should reveal the influences in jazz and psychedelic rock, which makes it a post-punk album. It doesn't really matter much anyway; assigning a restricted number of genres to describe music is fucking stupid.
It's pretty good, though not nearly as great as Marquee Moon. The s/t album is pretty solid too.

Oh, fair enough

Definitely not. Maaaaybe Top 500, but even that I would doubt. I mean, it wasn't even the best album of it's year.

huh

>post-punk means is that a band played punk music with heavy influences in other types of music
No
>With its roots in the mid to late 1970s, post-punk is a movement that followed on the heels of the initial Punk Rock explosion. While retaining its roots in punk rock, post-punk is generally more complex and introverted. Also, musicians tend to be much more experimental, often incorporating influences from Dub, Electronic, Funk, Krautrock, Art Rock, and Experimental music.
What you are describing would be "art punk".
>A single listen to Marquee Moon should reveal the influences in jazz and psychedelic rock
It's not even that jazzy not psych-y

>assigning a restricted number of genres to describe music is fucking stupid.
I'm sorry you are not as enlightened as I am

imo the album is front loaded as fuck. Album may as well have ended at Elevation, after that the rest of the tracks are bad rehashes of the first half's ideas.

I have the same opinion about First Utterance, album should have ended at Song to Comus

but Prove It is the second best on the album user

My favorite album of all time

I mean they were a punk band and then moved beyond that, in a way it's literally post-punk

That's not post punk, see last reply from

Friendly reminder

It's fuckin great, what else need be said?

Nobody cares you fucking autist

if Joy Division and Low-era Bowie is considered post-punk, Television is fucking post-punk.

Truth
>not having the extra tracks
>not furiously masturbating to little Johnny jewel and untitled instrumental

My favorite album ever but let's not forget that Adventure is great too. Seriously guys give it another listen, it's got some really great songs, and carried away is much more flowery and sentimental than anything on MM which I dig a lot.

>2Sexy4U

>finally it's clicking on me
this doesn't make sense to me. it's not like it's a difficult album at all. it's extremely catchy and melodic rock music

Probably my favorite album ever. I never get tired of it.

they are proto post-punk

Not post-punk on the first place, proto-post-punk would be something like pere ubu, but not television