/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

>Linux related or Read >search
ddg.gg/lite

redirect new friends creating their own threads with >previous

>irc
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=sqt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/sqt

Attached: 15205513507472.png (680x649, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lifewire.com/hard-reset-rule-for-routers-3971318
s.4cdn.org/image/title/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So I fucked myself with my backups but apparently i was smart enough to put a backup of my BTC wallet onto my phone.
I can't figure out what format it's in, though. It's long as hell and justified width like a PGP key. pls help, my 50 cent investment will go to waste.

if using -Rnucs to delete a package accidentallies a couple important packages, and i reinstall them, am I good?

ye

So, my laptop keyboard has been fucked up for a couple of years (spilled beer on it), I've been using an external keyboard. I've been wondering if it would be possible to remove the laptop keyboard entirely and replace it with a plaque that would allow better ventilation, or maybe even another fan?

Will running games at 120fps on a 144hz monitor look weird?

Should I buy a subscription to Lynda? Is it worth it? I want to become a front-end developer.

I want to become android dev, should I learn Java or jump straight to the Kotlin?

Depends on the laptop design, but in reality no.

yep

sure, though the difficulty of this mod will depend of the laptops internal design

not really, but it wont be as smooth as it can be
still much better than 60hz and you can always lock monitor to 120hz iirc

I'd say kotlin just because fuck java.
But I don't know what's the oldest version of Android you can run kotlin applications on.

What if a bank's server crashed during a transfer at the precise time between deleting money out of one account, and adding money to another? Would they just have to make it right after the fact by reviewing logs and such, or are there design paradigms in place to deal with things like this?

>Have Google account.
>Have HTC One 10.
>Talk to family using Hangouts.
>Use Gmail, etc.
>Account Action Required.
>Try to sign in again.
>Enter username and password for Google account.
>Login app crashes.
>Can't login.

What the fuck? I tried other phone, and it does the same thing. I can still login to Google account through browser on laptop. I even enabled 2FA on account. What do?

Guy with the fucked microSD here.
Before I make a fool of myself on /wsr/, can I get a quick rundown on android's adoptable storage?
Actually looking into it, I see it's got issues but not exactly what they're about...

I installed linux mint and have no clue how to get my wireless drivers working pls help, i cant find anything by googling

Search drivers in the start menu search bar.

is there any problem with having magnets near/on your computer?

how to get rid of the botnet, I basically only use Snapchat (use it all the time for friends), Instagram and WhatsApp (family) I tried convincing people to switch to alternatives but they say there's nothing wrong with what they're using now and stop worrying... what do?

Did anyone notice that the more you post on Sup Forums the more annoying the captcha get?
As soon as I start posting after a while I get easy, short captcha slr even no captchas, then I have to complete like 9 different captchas to post. So annoying.

What math level should I be at before I start a CS degree? I dropped out of high school so I need to play a little catch up.

If the captcha says "next", feed it shit info
If it says "verify", give it correct info
This way the bot will decide you're retarded and give you easy ones
Or just get 4chanX and use the no js captcha since it only gives you one question

my firefox sometimes doesn't render most websites. lot of white space left everywhere.
changing zoom level fixes it but i would have to do it everytime and the original 100% zoom level never works.

any permanent fix or idea what could cause it? before the update of 10 days ago it was fine.

So I need to perform a 30-30-30 reset on my modem
I followed this guide lifewire.com/hard-reset-rule-for-routers-3971318
And still can't get it to fully reset
When it's fully resetted I see the wifi lights on, and that's not happening for now so it's not being hard resetted
Wat do

I just hopped on Usenet for the first time in over a decade to download some stuff, and I'm blown away by how little content there is, for even really popular movies.

Is Usenet dead now? I wanted to avoid torrents and $8 for a quick Usenet connection with unlimited speeds seemed like a good way to go, but I'm awestruck by how little content there is to be found.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there something I've missed?

Pic related. Literally zero hits for a 1080p rip of Thor Dark World

Attached: usenet.png (1371x849, 60K)

Is 23 too late to change my career path and start studying IT?

Why dosen't a trojan separate it self, so it contains a downloader with an injector and after the dropper.
The downloader with the injector would be to inject a .dll in to the antivirus making it mark the malware as a positive? Is it because it's not possible to inject custom code in to most anti-virus?

Ok so i bought a gaming pc pre built cause i did the research and it's actually cheaper since the whole bitcoin thing. anyway my gpu isn't outputting any signal. is it the gpu or could it be the motherboard? I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. i've went into the bios and changed the it so it tries to use the gpu but it just defaults back to the motherboard gpu. i'm rma'ing it so i'm gonna get a new one anyway. what are the chances it's my motherboard? it's an amd rx 580 4gb armor oc

Nope, stop thinking about what-ifs and just do it

could be either one. If you're sending it back it doesn't matter anyway.

what the fuck is this

Attached: aaaaaaaa.png (296x201, 103K)

Sup ni/g/lets. So my brother wanted to get into elite haxor stuff.Told him to dual boot a meme distro,or shove one into a VM (Kali or Parrot).He chose to dual boot Parrot.Taught him how to put isos on a USB key and to create a partition to shove his distro into.It works fine.He gets the GRUB everytime he starts it,yadda yadda.Problem is that everytime he pops into Parrot (which otherwise works perfectly fine),he gets a weird "PCC parsing subspace" shit.It doesn't seem to impact his experience in any significant way,but I find it weird.Quick google search told me it was related to the UEFI protocol,or whatev.Do you lads have any tips and tricks before I roll up my sleeves and clear this mess up myself?

Should I buy a sandisk wifi connect to launch the exploit on PS4? Does it worth it?

Learn to code in Kotlin, and learn to read verborragic Java too.

You will need to learn Java to be at least capable of understanding it, because there are still tons of example code written in Java floating around.

You will at some point be forced to do some analysis and refactoring on legacy code written in Java.

Remember that Kotlin classes are interoperable with Java ones. Prepare to deal with frankestein codebases.

You will not always work solo. There are many Java fags around that refuse to learn new shit, or are still too green on Kotlin.

what's the best VNC program?

I was reading C++ primer and one bit they have a class which contains a string pointer ps. You're supposed to do valuelike assignment where = causes both objects to have their own copy of the string rather than pointing to the same string. They say to do A=B you should write "auto newp=new string(*B.ps); delete ps; ps=newp".

Why should you free A's ps member and allocate new memory instead of just assigning B's string to A's existing memory by writing *ps=*B.ps ?

So power reset buttons in my case died a while back. Thankfully my mechanical keyboard was ps/2 so I could use bios option to "power on by keyboard".

Now I want to buy new keyboard, but with usb. If I used usb->ps2 adapter, would I still be able to use this option?

Is there a way to mirror a phone's display on a computer screen through USB, as in USB-C to USB 3.0 or USB-C to USB-C?

Is turbo boost the same as overclocking?
Should I use it if I only have stock cooler? Or would that be too dangerous?

Attached: 1519361227481.png (174x167, 2K)

Yep, it still works.

why have gpus seem to have better progression in terms of raw performance increase as compared to cpus?

Firstly, GPUs are essentially CPUs today, just with MANY cores and a very limited set of instructions.
The work GPUs do is 'embarrassingly parallel' so they benefit from a great many cores distributing the work.

How we can fit that many 'CPU-like' cores into a small space comes down to GPU cores generally only having a single path (ie. Skylake has 7 'execution ports'/pipelines per core, you could in a way look at like a Skylake core is '7 cores in one' in that it can do 7 addition instructions in a single clock cycle - a GPU core generally only has a single pipeline, which is 32bit Floating Point, run it twice for 64bit, pad it out for 8/16bit)

Also power efficiency comes into play, consider a Ryzen CPU - 8cores at 3ghz uses less than 65watts of electrical power. 8 cores at 4ghz (only 25% performance increase) uses almost 220watts (a 4 times power increase for 1.25 times performance increase) GPUs are generally run at relatively low core clocks in comparison to CPUs which allows for more cores in a similar power target.

turboboost is like overclocking which turns on only when needed
as for cooling, unless you go to bios and disable overheating protection and somehow you turn off thermal throttling your cpu wont melt

you can try oc and if you go too hot upgrade cooling/revert clock to normal

is it technically possible to analyse ttyrec with scripts? for example i want a list of all executed commands while ttyrec was recording

Vysor app does that, Im sure there are other options too

Turbo is 'automagic' overclocking done by the CPU itself, it's not dangerous at the CPU will only 'overclock' if there is thermal headroom (ie. if the CPU is cool enough) to do it and will clock back down if it gets too hot.

If you live in a very hot place and are using stock cooling, it might be slightly annoying to have on since the fan will run at higher speeds (and therefore be loud) but it's not dangerous at all ever - the CPUs are designed to do it.

Thanks, that does the trick

A monolithic SD card.

When used within the manufacturer's spec, it's not "overclocking", but mobo manufacturers will often bump what it's allowed to do up by setting all core turbo speed to match single core turbo and ignore the power limit by default, which could kinda be considered overclocking.

It's fine to have on on a stock cooler. If it's getting warmer than you'd like you can usually turn down the temperature limits.

k but why come in the past 5 years gpus have gotten ~400% faster but cpus not as much

How do I test my new PSU to make sure that it is working? I got a new one and my PC is still fucking up, but in a different way now.

is terminus the best free monospace bitmap font

when did firefox start fucking us out of user customization? i remember a year or two back using custom css scripts and being able to change p much everything now i can't even change the tab font. firefox 59, any help? cheers.

checked

Attached: jebbo.jpg (800x600, 87K)

otherwise they have shared memory.
if you change A's string, it will also change B's string.
You don't want that. The point is that each object has its own string.

Attached: IMG_20171115_210718.jpg (1106x1025, 212K)

Right, so you understand the CPUs and GPUs are essentially alike now, just that CPUs have more pipelines per core, can process more types of instructions directly*** and have higher clockspeeds.
You should also understand that the workloads of a GPU are highly parallel and therefore can be distributed across a great many cores with little to no penalty.

CPUs on the other hand are generally executing code that is highly serial in nature - everything takes place one after the other, not all at once - the software is generally such that distributing out the task wouldn't be an efficient use of resources and at worst might even take longer if farmed out to two or more cores than if a single core did it.
Largely serial tasks are dependent on single core performance, which is both something we've logically hit a wall in the CPU/GPU architectures we have (beyond the scope of this post, see: Von Neumann architecture) and we're at the mercy of physics in relation to clockspeeds.

It's not that CPUs haven't improved it's that we're pretty close to the fastest we can go without major changes to how we do computing.
GPUs have benefitted from the fact that the problems they are solving for are parallel so we can just add 'moar coars' (this is literally all we've done for the last ~6 years - as transistor sizes went down we crammed more into the same spaces and even increased the die sizes too to fit 'maor coars' in)
GPUs will suffer the same fate too, since current die sizes are about as large as we can go with reasonable yields (how many dies in a wafer can be used vs. how many are thrown away) and node sizes are starting to hit limits for silicon - moar coars isn't sustainable either.

Did Mozilla change something again? I can't Ctrl-C copy text on Sup Forums anymore. Looks like the site is stealing primary focus and interprets the command as plain 'c' and returns to the catalog.

I used to be able to use Ctrl-hotkeys AND site specific hotkeys like (c)atalog, (q)uickreply etc.

I have this old HP keyboard, pic related, the USB version. Problem is, I can't use the media keys at all. Volume knob and mute works well, but not the playback controls. I can't find the HP driver for it.
How would I go about writing a keyboard driver for it?
I have experience with ASM and C, so I figure this is a decent personal project.

Attached: hp-5183-9980-ps2-keyboard-sk-2506-1.20__13725.1490242438.jpg (1024x768, 31K)

Is there an easy way to learn to use Wireshark and read my internet traffic? Or at least a way to easily be able to figure out what does what?

maybe I wasn't clear in case you don't understand pointers.
Pointers are variables that point to a memory "address". Yes A & B each have their own pointer. But the content of that pointer is the same, the value (address) is the same, i.e. they point to the same block of memory.

It's like giving a sheet of paper with people's address on it. Yes, each person has its own sheet of paper, but in the end the address written on it is the same, so they'll both go to the same house.

I want to use an internet/app blocker but I can’t decide what to use.

Freedom would cost me $60 for a lifetime account and I can synchronize my account on my laptop, tablet and phone. But it looks like there is similar software that is available for free. Anyone on Sup Forums have recommendations?

How does.one replace such a battery? Is there a expedient way to do it, with normal batteries?

Attached: 20180323_073536_Burst01.jpg (4160x2340, 1.48M)

Paperclip test

But I'm not assigning A's pointer to B's pointer (ps=B.ps)? I'm assigning the value pointed to by one to the memory pointed to by the other (*ps=*B.ps).

or get one of these

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 105K)

Very powerful magnets can alter the electronic characteristics of things like induction coils, so don't put them directly on your motherboard. Also, obviously, not directly on a hard drive. But other than those, you're generally okay. Tiny rare-earth magnets have a field that falls off very quickly. It decreases with the cube of distance, as you can see if you slowly move one towards a paperclip. A few inches away and its not affected at all, the field only gets strong when the magnet is close.

So if you want to stick magnets to your steel case like a fridge, you'll be fine. Just don't use giant finger-crushing rare earths.

Ok, Sup Forums, why do I need drivers and kernel modules? What are the doing?

Turn it on and load each rail and see if voltage is ok

I just installed win10 enterprises ltsb, it's 1607. Can I get 1709 on it? How?

I'm using Java EE. I want to make a dropdown list using a . I already have a list of elements I'm passing via doGet() in a servlet. What the hell do I do, I can't find anything related to those tags.

Attached: JEE.png (543x401, 21K)

I've just moved into a new house and am in the process of getting VDSL broadband. The modem has already arrived but the ISP says the service won't be active until the 28th.

I plugged it in for shits and giggles and unsurprisingly it didn't work. My concern however is that checking the logs of the modem shows that it thinks it's not connected to a phone line at all.

So I need to check the phone jack actually works but I have no phone. I have an IP phone at work but the actual handpiece part is RJ11. If I took just that piece and plugged it in would I hear a dial tone? I just want to find out if the line is active.

Attached: cs540-headset-port.jpg (700x525, 45K)

Oh okay, the tags seems to be scriplet but I still don't know what to do with that.

Couple questions about robocopy:

1) It seems like the /XJ flag will disable the /SL flag's functionality, but with /XJ off and /SL on it still seems like it copies the contents of any symlinks to files rather than copying the link as expected. For folders it copies the link properly. Is there any way for it to copy the link for files too? I don't have too many single-file links so I guess it's not the end of the world if it can't but I do use it for a few things.

2) If I set /PURGE and /XX it will purge mismatched files but not "extra" files correct?

Don't the ISP have to send a technician out to connect that stuff for you?

works for me

Is there a way to list all gif files in s.4cdn.org/image/title/

>it's a Sup Forums x won't load the catalog again episode

Attached: 1518496688903.png (547x388, 361K)

Can i set up RAID for multiple usb drives?

Not if there's a phone line in the house. There should be one because there's a jack here. I just don't know if it works.

And you have keyboard shortcuts enabled in the Sup Forums settings?

Sure.

How?

learn to use ur os lol

The best way to convert pdfs with books (without any pictures or diagrams) into .odt/.docx files?

Right click -> Open with ... Select Word 2013/2016 > Save As .docx or .odt

Bump

Attached: very-rare-pepe-me-irl-25289366.png (500x566, 88K)

Where can I find a clean OS X Mavericks iso/dmg? I have a Mac but I don't see Mavericks in the App store.

It's gone. Good luck, it's a bitch to find.

Got a 32 gig usb, already have various linux ISOs and windows ISO on it, what other essential tools are there to keep on USB drives?

P0Rnz

Man, I already have a 1TB external for that.

Anyone know a good place to stream Formula 1 races?

Attached: IMG_20171208_165613_430.jpg (1024x1280, 252K)

OC'd my CPU and its hitting 61-62C under full load but doesn't go any higher than that. Should I consider that stable?

No. They only release new versions every 2-3 years. LTSC probably comes out next year.

You've picked a version of windows who's purpose is to receive updates/changes as rarely as possible. It's like the OS equivalent of firefox ESR.

Are helium filled drives bad for long term storage? Would think that helium would gradually leak out eventually

redneck.com/hillbilly/whitetrash.mp4

ok my question. who got
?

is there such a thing as a not shit sub $50 point and shoot? or a LEAST shit sub $50 point and shoot?

No, enterprise releases last 3 or less years.
LTSC is coming in 2019.

Thanks

Yes, anything under 80°C for a heavy OC is good.

Would and USB sound card help reducing static/noise from my mic? If yes then which one offers best bang for the buck?