Subcultures influenced by music

i'm doing a college assignment where I have to write about subcultures influenced by music but idk enough to fill the word count.
already got vaporwave, witchouse, and ppl who go to music festivals in general
also my work's being marked by a super left mid 60's woman
plz help

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Vckob-fMudc
youtube.com/watch?v=Ub5fuDLCQXk
youtube.com/watch?v=hvktW7SF-0I
youtube.com/watch?v=go_K27v2-kI
youtube.com/watch?v=IX91AKBor20
youtube.com/watch?v=Mq0j2Ot1NHo
instagram.com/cbquality/?hl=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do one on noise m8ty

SHE FUCC'IN THICC THO

vaporwave's not a subculture, and if anything the music was made as an afterthought to a trend that started with Everything is Awful and Tim&Eric sketches, and eventually developed into "aesthetic blogs", and THEN people latched onto what Daniel Lopatin and Skeleton were doing. There's no "vaporwave lifestyle" or "vaporwave values" or "vaporwave uniform".
Cloud rap does, with the whole "sadboys" thing, and you could argue that vaporwave listeners kind of fall under the same umbrella, but it's not inherent to vaporwave.

Talk about hip-hop culture. The whole gangsta culture changed when Kanye West came into the game and made it more about riches and bitches instead of killin homies

punk
metal
industrial

>also my work's being marked by a super left mid 60's woman
By any chance does her name sound Jewish?

Just shoehorn Israel in somehow and top marks are yours.

Everything is Terrible*

early skinheads defi itely were influenced by music

>Do one on noise m8ty
This. Don't forget to mention Envelope Philter.

goths, emo, scene

thanks for ur help, its really easy to mix up genre and subculture :(
maybe my teacher wont notice....... but she probably will
ill probably account the whole fashion/aesthetic into it and maybe that'll convince her it's a subculture? idk

my class is based around zeitgeist (lmao) so it could be hard to do hip-hop and make it zetigeisty, but it's not like it's not still popular in 2016 so thanks :)

Or just pick something that's an actual subculture actually influenced by music and not the other way around.

>taking a course that is of the 'arts'
>professor who is super left

Well I'm not surprised

>that thicc and that flexible

RIP ma dick

would it be better to just focus on genre instead of subculture? what do u guys think is the difference between genre and subculture? i know they're totally different but how?

Fuken thicc

I'd say goths are a good example, because the original batcave goths were pretty much just New Wave dudes with more black clothes than the others, and since their music was about old and spooky shit, they progressively started taking themselves more (or less) seriously and getting into witchcraft and victorian shit.

how about you pay attention in lectures and you'd know how genres and subcultures are different. Or y'know wikipedia.

punk/hardcore/extreme metal
very interesting subculture with a long storied history and considerable overlap between each other
music's great too

a genre is an artistic tradition that has identifiable rules, themes and techniques. It has to do with artistic creation.

A subculture's just a smaller part of a bigger culture, it's way more vague and has to do with the way people live their lives and learn things.

>punk/hardcore/extreme metal is one single subculture
maybe from the perspective of a teenage Hot Topic consumer of the early 2000s.

yeah ok thanks. i'll probably just end up doing the assignment on genres then

then you're gonna have to get into details about the technical aspects of music.

i don't think so, it's a writing/zeitgeist class, and my assignment will be in "zine" form (lmao) as per my teachers request.
buzzfeed list essay = 40% of total class mark

Surf music and the surfers

I'm gonna give you a few examples:

Metal is a genre
Metalheads are a subculture

Industrial is a genre
Rivetheads are a subculture

Cloud Rap is a genre
Sadboys are a subculture

Oi Punk is a genre
Skinheads are a subculture

Horrorcore is a genre
Juggalos are a subculture

yeah then you're gonna have to tackle the values conveyed by each genre, and you're gonna end up having to describe the subcultures they're associated with.

>How to get a musical discussion going on on Sup Forums
>Post a lewd chick

The beat generation and the beatniks owe a great deal to bebop jazz

do you guys think noise is fundamental in the current era tho?
i should have specified that it's gotta be zeitgeisty

I think an interesting trend to study would be the rise of nu-metal and the resulting subculture throughout the late 90s.

I mean, the cultural elements that make up the "nu-metal subculture" already existed independently before nu-metal happened, but it's the music itself that somehow fused them into a coherent whole, just as it took elements from very disparate music styles (industrial rock, groove metal, funk, hip-hop, sludge metal, grunge) and made a recognizable genre out of them.

why don't you just do hip-hop? is it really that hard to complete your sociology work made for 15 year olds?

The straight edge movement was literally sparked by minor threat.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vckob-fMudc

Noise is relevant insofar as the current era is dominated (in my opinion) by pop-intellectualism and eclectic contrarianism. And since Noise is a genre that SEEMS very unapproachable, high-brow and inaccessible, it makes a fine fashion accessory for anyone who wants to seem more open-minded, authentic and enlightened than the rest.

It's got an aura that combines the "too deep for you" of musique concrète, spectralism and all those XXth century experimental composition methods, and the rebellious nihilistic glamor of punk rock and black metal. Which is fucking perfect because it allows aging intellectuals to seem hip and with it, while also allowing young wannabe-intellectuals to feel like they're part of an elite secret club.

What's with VPRO and top notch music docs?

>not posting more images

>she will never crush my head between her thighs
what the fuck is the point in living

i only know the frusciante vpro ones but those are awesome

>not doing punk

Punk is such a diverse subculture... You could write books on the many possible origins of punk. Punk's had such a huge influence on everything, not just modern rock music... the diy ethos and attitude have permeated many other types of music (including electronic music genres) over the years. Not to mention the influence they've had over fashion and art...

>choosing anorexic chicks over these majestic beauties

I despise you, fellow men.

T H I C C

Forgot to mention the influence they had on skateboarding, and I'm sure there's many other things I'm leaving out...

Not everything is 90s pop punk or mohawks and spikey jackets.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ub5fuDLCQXk

>go to Sup Forums to find music
>get thicc instead

Not what I thought I wanted, but very welcome

More huge shapely girl butts, please

cbquality is her name

Indeed:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kSsqWNSQqs
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPiz7e7LfAo
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbHQph6rCZk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=33F_AlVTBgY
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKGeh4cVRZE

fucking hell
students should be round up and shot
what a waste of fucking time

I've been super stuck finding punk bands- do you know of any that went beyond and really pushed the sounds of punk? I've really been into Pegasuses-XL, Hunchback, Big Dick, The Emotron, We Versus the Shark as of late

Just read Dick Hebdige, OP. He'll tell you everything

you could write a whole book about 2nd wave norwegian black metal

Not sure if you'll like these, but maybe you will. Some aren't punk per se, but definitely punk influenced:

youtube.com/watch?v=hvktW7SF-0I

youtube.com/watch?v=go_K27v2-kI

youtube.com/watch?v=IX91AKBor20

youtube.com/watch?v=Mq0j2Ot1NHo

Slang from rappers from different regions often becomes trendy social media lexicon. New aged edm hippies act like the shape their whole lives around PLUR or whatever.

hammerhead is cool, thank you. do you know of any synthpunk? or anything contemporary would be great

nice quads

HERE YOU GO BOYS:
instagram.com/cbquality/?hl=en

Way to NOT post a link
legs or digits?

Got damn

But, yeah, do goth culture senpai