How do you explain a normalfag why he should use the free program x instead of the proprietary program y...

How do you explain a normalfag why he should use the free program x instead of the proprietary program y, which has more cool features?

Attached: 1521316691690.gif (720x720, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software
youtube.com/watch?v=9sJUDx7iEJw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The same way you make any argument regarding freedom. Freedom is worth more than anything, plain and simple.

i attempt not to act like a total dweeb in eyes of people irl, so i don't

You should know by now that normies are sheep with no concept of freedom and are willing to sacrifice freedom for security.

You don’t. They’re a lost cause

What’s the FOSS equivalent of Office365 and OneDrive for Business?

Which cool features ?
Give an example.

He won't care, don't even waste your time.

You don't because no one wants to hear a self absorbed manchild whine about what music player they use and why it's apparently better at whatever.

Live and let live.

Explain to them 4 basic rules of free software.
There is even a video:
fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software

This is a big deal. FOSS needs a response to this to stay relevant.

I think LibreOffice released some kind of web host version recently. Haven't looked into it.

We don't like botnet.

> being this insecure

You don't.
It's not for everyone.

>which has more cool features
You don't because they never do

you mean *and security

You are a lost cause.

>oh, so you're using x. well, i myself prefer y because x raises security and privacy issues

If they don't care at this point you should stop because you'll be just annoying and the other person is beyond help anyway. .

collabora online is one of the big ones i keep hearing about. it integrates with nextcloud, too. i havent tried it personally yet.

Just tell them the truth, that freedom is more important than capability, comfort, and convenience.
If they try to disagree, there is literally nothing you can say or do that will help them - They are not ready, quit wasting your time with and on them.

Attached: freedom1471975585742.jpg (953x1200, 272K)

Reverse engineer the propriety program y and find vulnerabilities to exploit, and use those vulns to hack the shit out of him. Ruin his life by posting "I'm gay lol" on his Facebook page or whatever the normies use these days.

Then reveal that is was you who hacked him, and tell him how you did it, and explain that FOSS is impossible to hack, so none of this would have happened if he just listened to you in the first place. Then after you finish explaining why he's such a brainlet,tell him "sorry - nothin' personnel, kid."

that's a great OP pic

anyway you're probably annoying and uppity, so i'd suggest just casually throwing an offhand remark recommending it and leave it at that. it does no good to pester people about personal choices, they either look into it themselves later or refuse

i never do things people recommend right off the bat, i always ease into it

You can't. I can't. It's a very difficult argument to make. Everything has its value, even freedom. The question is: how much of it are you willing to give up and at what price? Most FOSS offer a less smooth, user friendly experience compared to their counterparts. How do you convince a person who places a lower value on freedom to give up a better experience?

Attached: __sapphy-20180324-0001.jpg (1080x1920, 119K)

>Most FOSS offer a less smooth, user friendly experience compared to their counterparts.
That's simply not true.
I used to hate computers and getting them to do anything was a terrible struggle best avoided.
Then I discovered the wonderful world of free software and upon fully committing everything finally just worked together and how I wanted. (The worst possible place to be actually is that middle ground where you're trying to make nonfree and free softwares place nice together...)
To care about freedom is to say that even if this wasn't the case it wouldn't matter - Freedom, privacy, etc holds more value.
Luckily, we can have it all.

How do
I access all my shit from a tablet away from the office using FOSS?

>FOSS is impossible to hack
That's a lie and you know it.

I think he means backdoor - which is also untrue but harder to do on high profile FOSS projects.

I feel the same. When someone says a book is cool, once, chances are good that I'll look into it, but if he annoys me with it, I'm annoyed.

It saddens me that there are so many people still believing in the free software meme.
I used to be a freetard from around 12 to 16 years old but fortunately I snapped out of it and realized I was just being a retarded nerd.

Photoshop vs GIMP

I must confess, I never used Photoshop.
So I'm not aware of the difference.

Photoshop has more features and is easier to use for normalfags. The presets are unmatched.

GIMP is free and highly configurable, but it loses in the Photoshop v. GIMP debate.

Attached: Untitled.png (1024x768, 674K)

Once you learn how to use that free as in free speech program, you'll very likely still be able to use it for years to come roughly the same way on multiple platforms. For proprietary software, its fate is tightly tied to its owner and its business strategy.

More features isn't necessarily better.

I rather have one program that does one thing very well, and integrated with a different program that does something else every well.

You would host it yourself of course.

WhatsApp vs Signal

I don't

Proprietary software is anti society and anti friendship. Face him the situation: "Could you give me a copy of that thing?" Then he us in a dilemma: either he violates the license/EULA and becomes a criminal, or he's becomes a faggot friend. Free software does not have this problem.

People should get taught to avoid proprietary software like they are taught brushing their teeth.

This is a big problem if you have a workflow with several different programs with conflicting strategies.

Ok. How the hell do I do that? What software should I be looking at? How do I host my shit and access it quickly from my tablet wherever I am?

sing them a song
youtube.com/watch?v=9sJUDx7iEJw

i have given this up in most cases, by now it's pretty obvious that free software ideals has be applied on an enterprise wide scale far away from the judgement of normies

this is a lie though

you don't.
they're normies by choice so leave them alone

too much ricardo and mortimer, pseudo Intellectual brainlet chill out bro

So what about too much freedom? Is it like s horseshoe where too much of either is bad or are you just going to be using one sided arguments?

does it still fuck up .doc files though?

one of the 2 T60's have libreboot supported display thank you jesus

.doc proprietary standard and .docx is broken by MS itself

Because program y is FREE and program x's extra "cool" features aren't worth it

Normal people don't like to spend money, but are also lazy. That's why normal people are always frustrated.

You can't because nobody made a FOSS Office365 alternative yet.

You see, free programms (as in free speech) are often free (as in free beer). Why would anyone buy WinZip when 7zip is better and dosen't cost anything? Wyh would so meone actually buy Windows when Linux is so easy to use these days?

Of course the thoughts behind free software are more profound than that, but if you buy 100 software licenses for your company the choice is often easy.

For highly specialized software it's easy. Either you are a professional who needs stuff like Photoshop, Ableton Live or Final Cut - so you will buy it anyway. Or you are not a professional - so you wil work with something like Gimp, Ardour or OpenShot. Again it's an easiy choice.

There are many important programms where there is no good free alternative.

But Office365.. are you serious?

Nobody in my company or any company I've heard of uses it. The pricing modell is stupid and there is no advantage over Office 2016.

>why would anyone buy winzip when 7zip is thing?
winrar is the best of both worlds, its really fucking good, got a great wizard, makes fucking sense to use, and only costs shit if you are a business or corporation.