It's Shit

>use OpenOffice
>crashes and fucks up entire report
>use LibreOffice
>slow as fuck when dealing with anything that isn't plaintext
>use M$ Word
>botnet, and it's also shitty and glitchy

What the fuck happened to modern software, why is it all shit, are there better alternatives, and when will it fucking get better

>inb4 google docs
Nice botnet

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1024x1024, 33K)

Use LaTeX, you turbo-pleb.

You're the problem.

>botnet
>in a fucking office suite
Do you really think your goverment cares about your copy-pasted school projects?

Use Pages. Never bugged, glitched or crashed on me.

If you need something more complex than Wordpad, then use a typesetter like groff or LaTeX.

The truth is that software hasn't needed "improving" for the best part of decade or more, so they're just fucking around and impacting user experience, which is why XFCE is now slower than Windows 7.

Microsoft has no reason to botnet office because 1. it's not profitable anyways and 2. they get money/royalties from people and companies that pay for office.

You shouldn't ever need anything more than markdown.

code your docs in latex like the pros.

>Microsoft has no reason to botnet windows because 1. it's not profitable anyways and 2. they get money/royalties from people and companies that pay for windows.

But the industry standard is DocBook now.

Then use a text editor compatible with markdown, abiword, old versions of ms office

>Your subscription has expired

I like the look and functionality of LaTeX, but it can be a bitch to write sometimes. What's your (or anyone reading this) favored LaTeX editor?

I've been getting into markdown lately. Seems really quick and easy with clean results.

fpbp
\end{thread}

>not writing your docs in html
its literally the best way, you can later download in .pdf or whatever
you can also use tons of text editors for that

Just write in markdown and then use pandoc to turn it into a .tex file.

I was writing a resume in my WinVM the other day on MS Office bc I want it to format correctly when opened.

MS Word: Hey! looks like youre writing a resume! Want to upload it to Linkedin?

Really, MS?

Attached: 80147240.jpg (2121x1591, 199K)

Export to pdf. Nobody wants to open a strangers .docx

Try OnlyOffice and WPS

Not a good idea though, many HR systems shortlist based on keywords, and scripts process resumes for data. Often with a .pdf there will be something off by just enough to stop the script from finding the keywords, so that resume will be ignored, and that person will never get shortlisted. Word files are more safe for big company submissions.
Source: A friend who worked in HR for many years.

>botnet

Attached: 1409416610499.png (973x799, 216K)

Windows is an OS though

Do you think your government wouldn't care about the software suite responsible for just about every spreadsheet and document on the planet?

>>crashes and fucks up entire report
Older versions did that when the document was too large.
idk, 2016 works

You're joking, right?

The answer is learn LaTeX and write in vim/sublime/emacs.

Why did anyone bother replying after this post?

literally this

This is bullshit

should've been \thread

use vim or emacs

If you just want to make a text document, why not use LaTeX?

> XFCE is now slower than Windows 7.

I've run XFCE on ARM SoCs with half a gig of ram even at this day and age, and it runs fine if you don't fire up Firefox. Win7 wouldn't do that.

Granted, it could be faster.

What is the excel equivalent of this?

You think 20-something normie Stacies really read every resume? user please. For every entry level job, only about 5 out of 250 applications will be good enough, so of course they use a system. For higher level jobs they might not, but if you're anywhere near the bottom there's a reason why they don't contact you unless you get shortlisted.

>why not use LaTeX?
Because I'm an old man and I don't have enough years left to learn yet another quirky, ain't-I-cute, incompatible way of making a shopping list.
LaTeX is an answer to a problem, not the answer to all problems.

siag office

LaTeX is an excellent answer to "I want to make a text document" -problem, but it's not an office suite. If you need Calc/Excel, yeah, you have use one of the suites.

Still, if you seriously want to edit technical documents, research papers, etc. that take a long time to make and have to be consistently formatted, TeX just does that better than the office suites.

If you just want to make an one-page brief, yeah, use Word. I use it in my work for that kind of stuff all the time. But then again, I'm a programmer, not an editor. And when I need to document program code, there's a whole separate class of solutions for that.

Python (best with jupyter)
or R

if any place is this retarded, you don't want to work there anyway.
It's a great way to filter out idiot companies

Get a Mac and use Pages.

Excel does multiple things.
1. It is a great normie tool, where you see large amounts of data while being able to manipulate them.
2. It is a decent math tool where you can generate a document from the data.

In my line of work, I mostly use the second part so I can do better with R, python or matlab.
The first part is really terrible with these, so I just use a spreadsheet tool. I use libreoffice or gnumeric when doing files for myself but if I were to share it with people, I would use excel.
A huge problem for me is I don't live in an English only country, so everything is translated when you open documents in excel.
It means I can never know if it works when I share a libreoffice spreadsheet, but it generally works with excel.

>shopping list.
Use a pen and paper or use a text editor on your phone. No need to format it.

Vim. faggot. Use vim.

When I applied for me entry-level job, there were 7 other guys and one girl that applied. It's not the company's fault, they pay good and don't treat their employees like slaves. Lots of the people there work 25y+ for the company. You can tell because they give badges with the companys logo to those. What you say doesn't apply for every place people might apply to, and sending docx documents is an instant loss at most tech places

Is it still possible to get Office 2010 legally?

Attached: editor edit dis pls.webm (650x364, 1.08M)

Are there any FOSS "WYSIWYG" XML editors out there? The only one I know of, Syntext Serna Free, is long dead, having been bought and renamed by another company, and the remaining GPL version is a pain to build for Linux due to the dependencies.

What do you use to edit DocBook? I actually use vim (with a nice plugin for XML editing), not usually for DocBook but another type of XML for documentation. However, I'm looking for something a little more "user friendly" that non-programmers could use, while still being FOSS, if such a thing exists. Otherwise I know of proprietary ones like XMLmind, Arbortext, and FrameMaker.

JSON+JS

you don't end a thread in your own post.