/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try protonmail or disroot

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 1472057604966.jpg (682x1024, 164K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154
wiki.bash-hackers.org/syntax/pe#substring_removal
pastebin.com/t2P4nJiM
youtube.com/watch?v=pUIfKHGxzCk
instagram.com/rikku_the_leaf/
gist.github.com/mjnaderi/28264ce68f87f52f2cabb823a503e673
bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=197153
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Reposting from last thread ^^

I just built a little HTPC with an AMD APU I bought in 2014 that I had just lying around.
I don't have any hard drives to spare, and since all the media is in the network on my server or simply online I think the best thing I could do is to just have a bootable USB drive to boot from.
Winblows is shit, what's the best lightweight Linux distro I could use for a bootable USB that is retard friendly (my mom will use it too).

Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Debian...?

Attached: 1457703931720.gif (720x405, 136K)

puppy linux with better filemanager

I'm checking out puppy linux and it looks exactly like what I need. Thanks a ton, user!

Hey, how do I setup a proxy server?
Googling I've found Squid, but It's being called a caching proxy, so I'm not sure if it's the right way to go

Haha calling it GNU Linux...sorry autist but it's only ever going to be "LINUX".

And nobody will ever say GNU. Ever.

Attached: 1521736485475.jpg (500x456, 59K)

How do I count how many tray icons are active?

I want to convert several files with ffmpeg. How can i keep the original filename for the output (with new extension of course)?

So how are you all going to celebrate the 14th birthday of bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154 in two days?

${filenamevar:r} on zsh iirc. You can suffix .mp4 or whatever to that extensionless name.

I recall you also were able to do something like that with ${var##.*} matching (delete pattern match specified behind ##).

PS: I figure I also forgot some substitution match rather than doing it with a removal match. I'm not exactly great with this.

But something like that should work, and bash also has comparable parameter expansion.

Someone please post the original image.

Woops, it was ${var%.*}. Sorry, had no convenient shell on the phone. But I found you linkage:

wiki.bash-hackers.org/syntax/pe#substring_removal

Who is she?

ty

...caching is kinda one of the main points of proxy servers ya know.
Squid is an advanced proxy server, there are many, simple ones like "tinyproxy".

I've so far had better experience with running freenas and linux distros off SD cards than usb sticks. Is there some downside I'm not seeing? The SD cards I own seem much better at handling small writes than my usb sticks, also cheaper.

GLinux would sound kinda cool.

Linux noob here.
Package PACKAGE was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing 'PACKAGE.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable.
No package 'PACKAGE' found
When I try to install it from repository:
Package 'PACKAGE' already installed.
How I should fix this? I can't compile almost anything.

What's the latest meme distro?

Manjaro and Antergos are the current hottest memes.

I'm using a xeon e3 1240v3 to run some VMs. I dont have a GPU at all apart from the one on the supermicro board. Would having a GPU make the VMs more responsive when using rdp/vnc or is this just how virtualisation works?

For gods sake, please give me the name of the girl in the pic.

Attached: animegirlcrying01.png (1280x1079, 1.01M)

pack your shit and fuck off back to and drool over generic whores there.

>or is this just how virtualisation works?
exactly.

Most virtual machines, especially qemu/kvm based ones don't benefit from your GPU at all. Virtualbox/VMware machines may benefit from them if you enable 2d/3d acceleration for the virtual machines and they utilize it. You will not get better rdp/vnc performance, those are not GPU accelerate to begin with.

thought on opensuse weed?

Used it on a secondary PC for a while.
-sometimes the installed doesn't even work
-installation takes much longer time than it would with a similar binary distro with similar package set (like debian)
-installation automatically recommends LVM with million subvolumes and non-ext4 filesystem if the HDD space is big enough, this could confuse people who are not used to these setups
-I remember missing some software from the repo

>t. faggot

>she

That was my suspicion, thanks for clarifying.

I spent 10 minutes searching for this information for you, but it's okay because you're worth it to me. Her name on Instagram is ur.little.fox

Attached: 5bJdLqw.jpg (600x900, 161K)

You're the real hero.

also
>no hoverhand
that fat fuck really got it going didn't he
is it ultimate bravery or ultimate self-ignorance

jesus christ i would destroy that

I can't find anyone with that name.

worked for me. no cosplay images though

Never mind, had to use Google.

I'm dubious. Couldn't dld pics off the insta - which is rare and isn't really that close looking to her.
>it's fake - you can tell by the pixels...

Oh that poor girl

So I just finished installing arch for the nth time. How do I go about installing xfce and xorg and shit like that properly? I mean, the chronology of things after the arch install. Does it matter? After the install the general recommendations of the wiki gets all over the place for me so I'm not sure if I'm getting things right.

>install xorg
>install other shit
Why would you install anything window related before installing xorg

I mean I'm really just confused by what comes first and what comes next or how I'm expected to read the wiki.

For ezample, while setting up xorg for dual monitor, xorg wiki page leads me to nvidia page, then to multihead page, then xrandr page. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to take them as I go or go through every page first before going to another.

Just get one thing working, and move on to the next. Start page hopping when there isn't enough information on the current page to finish the current task.
Jumping around trying to do everything at once is was leads people to broken systems. That, and installing a million AUR things and not putting in the work to keep them up to date and properly maintained.

just use nvidia-x-settings for the dual monitor stuff.

Attached: 2018-03-24-160744_1219x972_scrot.png (1219x972, 135K)

>nvidia
sad display

What was that one utility that displayed all the proprietary software you use? I forgot the name of it.

vrms

Thanks

You're welcome.

Forever in your debt. I hope you have a long and prosper life my friend!

Hey everybody. I would like some distro recommendations BUT I am extremely picky. I have a ThinkPad T400 that I got off ebay for Libreboot. I ended up installing Coreboot instead because the docs were better and I was able to get my preferred payload working (Tiano Core wouldn't work in Trannyboot). So now that I'm done with that whole 4 hour BIOS fuckery ordeal, I want an operating system better than a Lubuntu Live USB.

Specs aren't much but pretty decent.
>Intel Core2 Duo P8400
>4GB Crucial DDR3 RAM
>128GB Samsung SSD over SATA2

The issue I'm having here is that I can't find an OS to load on that I really like. I've many systems and still haven't found something comfy enough, so I need something absolutely fantastic for this finished laptop.

Here's what I've tried (and didn't like)

>Ubuntu
Buggy and bloated trash.
>Debian
Outdated and slightly less buggy trash.
>Arch
Too unstable.
>Gentoo
Pretty okay but it's a timesink OS. I have free time but not that much.
>Chromium OS
Too basic and I don't like Chrome.
>Mint
Power management is screwy on my other Core2 stuff and it's bloated.
>OpenSUSE
I hate the package manager.
>Fedora
It's like RedHat and Poettering had a baby with Down's syndrome. Stable but annoying.
>GNU/Hurd
It's not ready for real hardware.
>Elementary OS
Buggy shit with a dumb UI.
>Slackware
I don't like the way it manages packages and dependencies.
>FreeBSD
Cucked by SJWs and has poor security.

Here's what I sort of like but have had issues with

>Void Linux
Not very many packages or options, and package management is sorta overly complicated.
>OpenBSD
It's just painful to use with complex docs.
>Open Solaris
No packages, outdated, hard to use.
>Haiku OS
What is security? What's a package?
>Windows 7
Outdated and lacking features.
>Windows XP
No more updates.
>Windows 10 LTSB
It's a botnet, making Coreboot all for nothing.

So what's an OS that doesn't use systemd, has a decent package manager and a few up to date packages?

Attached: 1517326917183.png (1416x1248, 221K)

Nobody cares...like at all.

People know 'Linux' and thus it shall remain.

Does Bunsenlabs actually do anything different from Debian? As far as I can tell its just an outdated Debian with a preconfigured openbox on top.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1920x1080, 349K)

Is the openSUSE tumbleweed installer not working for anyone else?
Just gets stuck at "initializing package manager" for me

Attached: 55779590_p0.png (600x812, 374K)

Any idea why eg my status bar looks like this, ie only bumps? Upon start-up, the "first config" window was also fucked and just weird shapes and sizes, some rectangles iirc.
Using i3bar. On thinkpad t450.
Here's my ~/.config/i3
pastebin.com/t2P4nJiM

Attached: 2018-03-24-182636_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 193K)

>this picture
So you're saying GNU is bloat we should get rid off?

opensuse tweed installer is buggy sometimes. I guess its built daily, so try again tomorrow or try to get yesterdays build.

Attached: Richard M. Stallman @ 31st Chaos Communication Congres (31C3)-ckHGGjheIEA[00:21:48.039]_[24.03.2018] (640x360, 29K)

Yes? GNU is bloat?

What did Ubantoo mean by this

Attached: 20180324_193322.jpg (2048x1152, 863K)

Probably the compositor shitted itself. Get a tty and try to recover from there.

Yes, but it's also what makes it an actual operating system, instead of just a wireframe interface

What Linux distro would you recommend if I want to use Arch but don't want to maintain my laptop every single day?

Manjaro

There's nothing to recover, it's a clean first install. This happens at boot

Fedora if you just want bleeding edge packages. Void or Alpine Linux if you want the customization, low resource usage, and lack of systemd with better stability.

Fn + f12 bypassed the issue

youtube.com/watch?v=pUIfKHGxzCk

instagram.com/rikku_the_leaf/

me on the right

I'm running an LVM for my Arch 64 setup, and I decreased the size of of one of the partitions in it so I could add another one with the remaining space on one of my drives - basically I need to set up another OS in the unallocated space (can't use a VM, this is mainly for testing purposes).

I don't actually know how to do this - if I make another logical volume, the process is to make a mount point within Arch, but wouldn't that be problematic if it's a separate operating system? As well, the unallocated space isn't listed in fdisk of course so I can't target any specific part of the hard drive (it being logical and whatnot).

Any help would be appreciated.

>update for the first time in a month my arch laptop
>everything still works
hell yeah!

I tried a couple of builds and none worked

>trying to install arch manually
>installing it onto a old core2 series thinkpad
>doesn't have UEFI
>wiki guide is set up for UEFI
how do I partition it for the old MBR style?

>>wiki guide is set up for UEFI
I'm pretty sure the wifi is set up for MBR and UEFI, but the only difference is where it says to create the specific uefi partition. Never tried it but you can likely just skip that

>Arch
>Too unstable
That's a meme son. Been using Arch as my main OS since almost two years ago and the only issue I had was my phone not being opened by dolphin, but even that got resolved quick.

where to get cute loli pics like that?
Sorry if brainlet question, but I want a cute loli wallpaper.

who is that semen demon

>think libreboot would be neat
>forget to check what hardware works
>get X301
>X301 doesn't have explicit support
damn, I really like this X301 and libreboot would be real cool on it

what a shit pad

pls

gist.github.com/mjnaderi/28264ce68f87f52f2cabb823a503e673

>following this guide
# pvcreate /dev/mapper/luks
# vgcreate vg0 /dev/mapper/luks
on vgcreate it says write error failed no space left on device
how do I fix that

@ur.little.fox on instagram

what does pvdisplay and vgdisplay give you?

Attached: moo3.png (640x360, 225K)

>bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=197153
It seems variable MHz was removed from /proc/cpuinfo recently due to a number of reasons. But most concerning is this:
>4. On modern processors, user space utilities, such as turbostat(1), are more accurate and more precise, while supporing concurrent measurement over arbitrary intervals.
>Issue 4 will remain -- users that really care about accurate frequency information should not be using either proc or sysfs kernel interfaces. They should be using using turbostat(8), or a similar purpose-built analysis
Does this mean that /proc and /sys are inaccurate in general, or only for the CPU? If former, what about tools that rely on the kernel reporting, e.g. vnstat for bandwidth monitoring from /proc/net/dev? I have always assumed that anything from proc or sys is accurate, as why bother reporting inaccurate data?

I think only CPU frequency is in question.

My best guess is that cpuinfo is populated before other modules for the CPU (frequency, sleep, ACPI etc) are loaded and initial values are often lower.
Another guess is that this was not an issue on old systems where improved sleep states and dynamic frequency changing was not a thing.

Try void. Great small, lightweight, minimal and stable distro.

I didn't read that you've tried it, still I would give it second chance.

you've got way too much time on your hands to complain about gentoo being a timesink

>What is alpine linux

Closer... but I'm still not sold.
Gud hunting tho m8.

Just installed Ubuntu 16.04 after realizing 17.10 isn't usable for a newbie like me. What desktop environment should I replace this shitty default one with? I was thinking XFCE since it's supposedly lightweight and it looks like a proper desktop environment meant to be used with a mouse and keyboard. What do you guys suggest aside from not using Ubuntu?

gnome is fine

Isn't that just what Ubuntu comes with?

> install on lvm
> don't learn how to administer lvm
Assuming you already did `lvresize --resizefs` to shrink the logical volume, use pvresize to shrink the physical volume, then change the partition size with gparted or whatever. You may have to play with pvs and pvmove if pvresize can't reclaim all the space you want due to extents being allocated further up the physical partition space.

id little fox her up her asshole :D thanks mate

>don't learn how to administer lvm
I know how to the extent of setting a primary system up, but I've just never done it with multiple OS before

I have resized it, so after resizing the pv do I create a second volume group? Or will the unallocated space be available in fdisk or a Mint installer for example?

just don't use lvm
there's no reason to in this day and age. gpt has no limit on partitions and btrfs subvolumes and quotas make resizing a breeze (or just completely unnecessary)
anything you install that would use lvm can also use btrfs

Well I'll consider that on my next build, sounds cool and I'll definitely look into it, but I have lvm right now so just trying to get the specifics down

Also just to elaborate, the reason I did lvm was because I wanted my /home across multiple drives, does btrfs do that too?

>void
>alpine linux especially for laptop
Shiggy diggy